Orthodox vs. Protestant belief differences?

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Protestants seem to have no trouble with fancy cars and mansions, but get offended when a house of God is fancy. Hm.

If kissing something makes it an idol, we're all in trouble.

Orthodoxy has confession, upholding a Christian lifestyle is required for communion. We also have plenty of people who live lives much more radical and ascetic and Christian than you do.

Good luck with your fantasy.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Purity and righteousness. You don't seriously believe that these things you mention are what our Father is looking for.
Yes, I do believe that Charity, hospitals, shelters for the homeless, orphanages, aged care are what God the Father wants because the holy scriptures say that "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (James 1:27 RSV)

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Trying to figure out which one I align more with, Orthodox or Protestant.

I would stay away from the "ethnic" Orthodox groups. Some of them won't even let you in the door unless you are the same ethnicity as them.

• Optimistic
Reactions: mcarmichael
Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

If anyone of sufficient knowledge can point out the salient differences.

Much obliged!

God bless~
Hey brother,

I'll be honest with you, our Sovereign God has permitted a vast amount of divisions among the earthly churches to serve His purposes. If we deny that this is the case, or deem a denomination (or non-denom) incapable of harboring truly converted Christian believers, then we are questioning God's providential work in raising up these groups for the furtherance of His mission in this fallen world. He may use the uniqueness among the many to reach a multitude of different people.

First and foremost, we are brothers and sisters united in Christ. As it was written, "That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ" (1 John 1:3). Jude had said also that what unites us is our faith in "our common salvation...the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 1:3). Because of this we should do well to foster a spirit of "love for all the saints" as Paul says (Ephesians 1:15 and Colossians 1:4). Rather than see each other for our minor (sometimes major) doctrinal differences, we ought to see each other for those whom Christ died.

Once you figure out which denomination is in line with your understanding, get to a church immediately. God uses the church to grow us in our spiritual life and uses it to sustain us as we walk with Christ. Understand that the majority of churches hold to the core teachings that are vital to understand, yet none of which is necessary for God to bring about your salvation, for we have it in Christ! Find a group of folks you can grow with, who share your love of Christ, and can stand to be around for great fellowship as you are worked upon by the sanctifying grace of our eternal God.

"Let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future - all are yours, and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's" (1 Corinthians 3:21-23).

God bless!

Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If anyone of sufficient knowledge can point out the salient differences.

Much obliged!

God bless~
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but in the one case you have bishops, and the laying of hands. Not every Protestant can say that.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'll be honest with you, our Sovereign God has permitted a vast amount of divisions among the earthly churches to serve His purposes. If we deny that this is the case, or deem a denomination (or non-denom) incapable of harboring truly converted Christian believers, then we are questioning God's providential work in raising up these groups for the furtherance of His mission in this fallen world. He may use the uniqueness among the many to reach a multitude of different people.

Hmmmmmm. I see. That is a very optimistic way of looking at it!

First and foremost, we are brothers and sisters united in Christ........Rather than see each other for our minor (sometimes major) doctrinal differences, we ought to see each other for those whom Christ died.

Yes thank you brother!

Once you figure out which denomination is in line with your understanding, get to a church immediately.

I couldn't be happier with the Church the Spirit of the Lord led me to!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey brother,

First and foremost, we are brothers and sisters united in Christ. As it was written, "That which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ" (1 John 1:3). Jude had said also that what unites us is our faith in "our common salvation...the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 1:3). Because of this we should do well to foster a spirit of "love for all the saints" as Paul says (Ephesians 1:15 and Colossians 1:4). Rather than see each other for our minor (sometimes major) doctrinal differences, we ought to see each other for those whom Christ died.

Once you figure out which denomination is in line with your understanding, get to a church immediately. God uses the church to grow us in our spiritual life and uses it to sustain us as we walk with Christ. Understand that the majority of churches hold to the core teachings that are vital to understand, yet none of which is necessary for God to bring about your salvation, for we have it in Christ! Find a group of folks you can grow with, who share your love of Christ, and can stand to be around for great fellowship as you are worked upon by the sanctifying grace of our eternal God.

"Let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future - all are yours, and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's" (1 Corinthians 3:21-23).

God bless!
The thing is, the Bible is VERY hard on heresy, so not really something to take lightly.

A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
-Titus 3:10-11

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
-2 John 1:10-11

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The thing is, the Bible is VERY hard on heresy, so not really something to take lightly.

Right.

So the less complicated everything is, the less likely heresies are to be birthed.

Right?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmmmm. I see. That is a very optimistic way of looking at it!
Concerning the sovereignty of God, you can expect nothing less from a Calvinist ;). Though most believers confess a faith in a Creator who continues to work in His creation, we often fail to recognize the Lord's continual guidance and control of everything that happens.

Yes thank you brother! I couldn't be happier with the Church the Spirit of the Lord led me to!
There are so many ways the world that we live in wants to divide humanity. Whether is is political, social, economic, or ethic. We, as Christians, are called to have the mind of Christ which leads to how we view and serve each other. Our consciences and respective confessions may not always allow us to worship together, and we may not agree on all points, but our mindset should be that those who look by faith to the person and work of Jesus Christ for their salvation are indeed brothers and sisters in Christ. We should do better to unite under that common banner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would stay away from the "ethnic" Orthodox groups. Some of them won't even let you in the door unless you are the same ethnicity as them.

Out of curiosity, do you mean the scripture of Orthodox actually promotes ethnicity or its merely certain "denominations" within Orthodox?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
-Titus 3:10-11

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
-2 John 1:10-11
Absolutely, If we have groups of people denying the very basics of Scripture (the divinity of Christ for example) or people who lack the faith in the perfect obedience of Christ in His life on earth and His perfect sacrifice as the 'lamb without blemish' on the Cross for the atonement of the sins, we can certainly question their motives if its more severe than a misunderstanding of the Gospel. Since we truly do not know the heart of another, we must assume by their behavior whether they are truly in Christ or not. Even still, we would continue to pray for them.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Concerning the sovereignty of God, you can expect nothing less from a Calvinist

Ah yes. You troubling Calvinists! I can find just as many verses to interpret in favor of Calvinism as I find which seemingly make it a matter of one's own volition of acceptance of faith.

Lately I've been thinking maybe God made it this way so that we would always have reason to study ;)

We, as Christians, are called to have the mind of Christ which leads to how we view and serve each other.

Maybe service should be prioritized over conversion after all?

• Friendly
Reactions: GillDouglas
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟759,871.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The thing is, there are plenty of simple heresies, and first century Christians did not tolerate them

And so they corrected them with murder, which would be a heresy against the 6th commandment, no?

Upvote 0