variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There's a lot of ways to be unreasonable. Unreasonable doesn't equal racist.

Uh huh.

The guard has never....ever....stopped someone from using the phone in the lobby? How do you know that?

Because he wasn't fired for unnecessarily calling the police on anyone else.

Actually you're just saying there's a possibility of a crime or you personally need help.

A distinction without a difference.

You're calling in armed law enforcement. It's something to be taken seriously.

Someone like me? Did I jump to conclusions about Jussie Smollett or Covington high school or any other number of accusations of racism that turned out to be nothing?

Someone who never seems to think there is any racism unless absolutely proven.

Yeah.

I'm not saying that any of these incidents you mentioned weren't racist....maybe they were, but join me here in reality where evidence matters and common sense prevails. Join me in a place where jumping to conclusions about someone's motives is as bad as jumping to conclusions about someone's behavior.

I'm not jumping to conclusions I am drawing them. So will the judges that adjudicate these matters.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So it should not be a lawsuit--which costs the county even more than the 9111 call.

It should be a nuisance fine, ticketed by the police at the scene when they determine they were called unnecessarily.

You want the police to arbitrate claims of racism?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In my case, the police showed absolutely no interest in helping me. While the 2 cops were standing on my front porch, I told them in no uncertain terms that I wanted harassment charges filed against this woman for calling them on me, and they just stood there and stared at me like I wasn't even saying anything. I repeated it twice and they still didn't respond. I eventually said, "well, if you're just going to ignore me, I guess we're done here" and then closed the door. They both had body cameras, which could have been used as evidence against them if I had decided to push the issue any further.

Yeah, there is (often) no real mechanism to deal with this kind of harassment outside of getting a lawyer and pressing the issue yourself.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because he wasn't fired for unnecessarily calling the police on anyone else.

That doesn't mean it didn't happen...and if it happened to a white person, obviously they can't cry "racism".

Try again.

A distinction without a difference.

You're calling in armed law enforcement. It's something to be taken seriously.

What makes you believe it wasn't?

Someone who never seems to think there is any racism unless absolutely proven.

Yeah.

I'm sure racism occurs when it cannot be proven....but I also know that accusations of racism happen all the time and they're completely unfounded.

You either want to ignore that or stuff your head in the ground and pretend they don't exist.

I'm not jumping to conclusions I am drawing them. So will the judges that adjudicate these matters.

You're drawing conclusions based on nothing more than your own personal bias....which is super ironic since personal bias is what you claim to be against.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You're drawing conclusions based on nothing more than your own personal bias....which is super ironic since personal bias is what you claim to be against.

You mean drawing conclusions from the circumstance and the lack of a plausible alternative?

Nope, that's just a conclusion you don't like.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You want the police to arbitrate claims of racism?

No. I want them to ticket nuisance calls.

The police on the scene should be able to determine if there was the slightest reason why they should have been called. Certainly most situations will be gray, but there will probably be more calls they find annoying that there will be successful $250 law suits.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't like it. Besides the fact that one should not face potentially negative ramifications for calling 911 unless it is just obvious it's abusing the number--who is seriously going to sue someone for $250? What attorney would take up that case?

Are you familiar with small claims court?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Black lawmakers creating a law that is specifically meant to target people who are white. Sounds like a racially motivated move on the part of the lawmakers. The only result would be to intimidate people from calling the police when they see someone doing something they think is wrong, and only if the person observed is black and the caller is white.

Black lawmakers?

This is Oregon you're talking about. There are three blacks in the legislature, and the law passed nearly unanimously.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The guard has never....ever....stopped someone from using the phone in the lobby? How do you know that?

I worked for the same hotel chain for 11 years, and still work with hotels so spend about 10 hours a week in hotels. At any given time, there are multiple people on the phone in most larger hotel lobbies. It is never standard practice to question someone on the phone in a hotel lobby. People walk in off the street all the time and hang out in hotel lobbies, waiting for a friend or business associate. People attending conferences but not staying at the hotel also hang out in the lobby. There is no other explanation I can find for why they removed that man from the lobby than racism. Hotel security guards are not supposed to question people in the lobby unless they are clearly transient or causing a disturbance.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In my case, the police showed absolutely no interest in helping me. While the 2 cops were standing on my front porch, I told them in no uncertain terms that I wanted harassment charges filed against this woman for calling them on me, and they just stood there and stared at me like I wasn't even saying anything. I repeated it twice and they still didn't respond. I eventually said, "well, if you're just going to ignore me, I guess we're done here" and then closed the door. They both had body cameras, which could have been used as evidence against them if I had decided to push the issue any further.
What specific complaint did your neighbor make against you?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Lack of a plausible alternative? Why? Because you haven't thought of one?

OK, give me a reasonable justification for calling the police on a man on the phone in a hotel lobby that you can not sort out on your own.

Can't wait till hes off the phone and have a civil exchange?

The hotel key card he presented as defense wasn't good enough?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cool story, but it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

There is nothing wrong with a municipality passing an ordinance permitting police to ticket nuisance calls.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Black lawmakers?

This is Oregon you're talking about. There are three blacks in the legislature, and the law passed nearly unanimously.

Yes, and all 3 of them were involved: "The move is a joint effort by three black lawmakers and is meant to “shine a spotlight on an issue African Americans have known for far too long,” according to sponsoring Rep. Janelle Bynum."

Not that any white person voting against this measure would be called racist, of course. Nah, never! ;)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Cool story, but it has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

There is nothing wrong with a municipality passing an ordinance permitting police to ticket nuisance calls.

My story was to show that even white people can have nuisance 911 calls made against them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What specific complaint did your neighbor make against you?

She was accusing me of "looking at" her 10 year old kid. She made this accusation even if I simply looked out a window or she saw me sitting on my (enclosed) front porch--even if the kid was in school at the time. She drank a lot, which may have something to do with the way she was, or maybe the way she was caused her to drink a lot. She even installed a security camera that looked over my backyard fence from about 6' away.

Either way, she moved away last October.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and all 3 of them were involved: "The move is a joint effort by three black lawmakers and is meant to “shine a spotlight on an issue African Americans have known for far too long,” according to sponsoring Rep. Janelle Bynum."

Not that any white person voting against this measure would be called racist, of course. Nah, never! ;)
This happened in my state and my legislators were doing their jobs and passing legislation that their constituents asked for. Its democracy. It’s our community, and these are our values. Yes, there are white people who want to eradicate white supremacy.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I worked for the same hotel chain for 11 years, and still work with hotels so spend about 10 hours a week in hotels. At any given time, there are multiple people on the phone in most larger hotel lobbies. It is never standard practice to question someone on the phone in a hotel lobby. People walk in off the street all the time and hang out in hotel lobbies, waiting for a friend or business associate. People attending conferences but not staying at the hotel also hang out in the lobby. There is no other explanation I can find for why they removed that man from the lobby than racism. Hotel security guards are not supposed to question people in the lobby unless they are clearly transient or causing a disturbance.

I can understand why you would think that is relevant. I'm not asking about hotel policy though....I'm asking about the actions of one person....which you cannot attest to.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OK, give me a reasonable justification for calling the police on a man on the phone in a hotel lobby that you can not sort out on your own.

Can't wait till hes off the phone and have a civil exchange?

The hotel key card he presented as defense wasn't good enough?

I don't know the specifics of that incident.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, heck, if we're so powerful that all white people shudder in fear of us, then the world is our oyster.

I guess that means every bill proposed by every black legislator gets passed because all white politicians fear us.

You realize your statement is absurd, right?

Upvote 0