Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll see if they reveal more from her profile. The statement doesn't mention race. Poverty exists in all hues. But it appears the narrative equates it with one group more than the others.

~Bella

I've been involved in the construction of a lot of low income housing projects for HUD. I've seen exactly what she posted about. Priority number one isn't rising out of poverty for the majority of people in that situation. From what I saw they've for the most part just lost hope.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we're going to dismiss people over inflammatory speech it should be consistent. I shouldn't have the liberty of charging others with racism and negative behaviors and become a social hero. But when similar comments are made from the wrong sort they're silenced.

~Bella

I’m not sure you’re referring to there, but a disciplinary in this kind of situation would be pretty normal - she has a responsible position with an organisation who, I would imagine, doesn’t want to be associated with crass (or cryptic, if taken that way) comments about a national issue. Somebody making crass comments in the same way about the Irish troubles in the U.K., or the Hungarian occupation here in Romania, at any time on a public forum, never mind during a period when some related event is all over the news, would expect the same, unless they had never read a single employment contract.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been involved in the construction of a lot of low income housing projects for HUD. I've seen exactly what she posted about. Priority number one isn't rising out of poverty for the majority of people in that situation. From what I saw they've for the most part just lost hope.

My parents are in real estate and I've seen it too. Some people are comfortable getting help. They don't have an incentive to move beyond it. There's no sense of indignity about being dependent. That's part of the problem.

~Bella

• Agree
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m not sure you’re referring to there, but a disciplinary in this kind of situation would be pretty normal - she has a responsible position with an organisation who, I would imagine, doesn’t want to be associated with crass (or cryptic, if taken that way) comments about a national issue.

What's confusing? I'm not negating the consequence of expression. But you can't pat one group on the head and call it good and demean the next. There's too much generalization on both sides.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's confusing? I'm not negating the consequence of expression. But you can't pat one group on the head and call it good and demean the next. There's too much generalization on both sides.

~Bella

I don’t know what you’re referring to with becoming a social hero by charging someone with racism, or who’s being patted on the head for making demeaning comments about some section of society.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, unions don’t control who gets disciplined or fired, the employer does. As a union rep my job is to fight unjust discipline and any violations of due process. My belief that blatant racist behavior is gross misconduct doesn’t mean that I can cause union members to be fired. I don’t know how unions work there, but here we certainly don’t get to tell employers to fire people.

The job of a union rep is to defend the members at all cost, whether right or wrong.

I was sent several people and told to fire them the first chance I got. My local must have been really corrupt because everything you mention is the opposite of my experiences. They often got rid of members that spoke against them. During the recession they (members) voted down a contract that would have let commercial guys be reclassified so they could work more and the Ibew passed it anyway. I've been intimidated, had my house broken into, followed, harassed and the list goes on. I think I even mentioned before in Ohio they killed a contractor and said they would hate to see it happen to me. I've also been privileged to go in front of the Nlrb and they are even more currupt.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don’t know what you’re referring to with becoming a social hero by charging someone with racism, or who’s being patted on the head for making demeaning comments about some section of society.

Perhaps you've overlooked the numerous threads about incidents taking place on American soil that have blanketed the site. Whether were addressing vandalism, physical threats, looting, charges of racism, etc. The root is the same. Many are turning a blind eye to poor behavior in the current climate.

She made a bad judgment call and paid the price. But I don't expect the people who looted my neighborhood to get a slap on the hand because they're opportunists or felt oppressed.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you've overlooked the numerous threads about incidents taking place on American soil that have blanketed the site. Whether were addressing vandalism, physical threats, looting, charges of racism, etc. The root is the same. Many are turning a blind eye to poor behavior in the current climate.

She made a bad judgment call and paid the price. But I don't expect the people who looted my neighborhood to get a slap on the hand because they're opportunists or felt oppressed.

~Bella

Oh ok, yes. People causing criminal damage will be prosecuted I should think - ? Of course they should be. Same thing in the U.K. a few years back, some people taking advantage of a protest to loot shops said they did it because they were depressed :D. I doubt if anyone objected to their being prosecuted for theft etc., or maybe they did but few people would take that seriously.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just cause is about certain groups defining what is just and what isn't based upon their race. Or any other distinctives these same groups decide to add.
. No, it’s nothing of the sort. Just cause refers to an employer only disciplining a person for reasons of just cause. It’s a basic principle in employment.
Just cause - Wikipedia
The seven tests for just cause include things like “Was there a proper investigation done,” “Was the employee aware of the work rule,” “is there proof of the employers allegations,” and “is the rule enforced equally for all employees.”

So in these “cancel culture” firings, if the employees had just cause protections they could challenge the firings without having to hire a lawyer, which most employees can’t afford to do.

• Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The job of a union rep is to defend the members at all cost, whether right or wrong.

That’s not how my union operates. Police unions, sure. Are you saying that in your IBEW local a member was caught stealing or assaulted a coworker the union fought for them? If so, that’s unfortunate.

I was sent several people and told to fire them the first chance I got. My local must have been really corrupt because everything you mention is the opposite of my experiences. They often got rid of members that spoke against them. During the recession they (members) voted down a contract that would have let commercial guys be reclassified so they could work more and the Ibew passed it anyway. I've been intimidated, had my house broken into, followed, harassed and the list goes on. I think I even mentioned before in Ohio they killed a contractor and said they would hate to see it happen to me. I've also been privileged to go in front of the Nlrb and they are even more currupt.

That’s absolutely horrible and emblematic of some the old school trades unions culture. A union will end up reflecting the attitudes of the active members and if those ppl think being aggressive and “tough” and violent is OK then that’s what you get. The trades unions are really behind the times and they are also the unions that kept out people of color and women for so long.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
See your just cause bias right here. You want law to curtail free speech. Let this situation go to court.
No, I don’t want that at all. You don’t understand what just cause is at all. It protects workers from being fired. Please see the Wikipedia article I posted. I think you may be confusing just cause with something else.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s not how my union operates. Police unions, sure. Are you saying that in your IBEW local a member was caught stealing or assaulted a coworker the union fought for them? If so, that’s unfortunate.

That’s absolutely horrible and emblematic of some the old school trades unions culture. A union will end up reflecting the attitudes of the active members and if those ppl think being aggressive and “tough” and violent is OK then that’s what you get. The trades unions are really behind the times and they are also the unions that kept out people of color and women for so long.

That local was all that and more. They called me once and said sorry but the guy we sent to you is black. The man turned out to be the best electrician I had and stayed with me for 15 years until they walked on the job one day and sent him packing. That day and the guy that replaced him was what started all my troubles. I didn't back down and it cost me. Worth it though.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The job of a union rep is to defend the members at all cost, whether right or wrong...

That’s not how my union operates. Police unions, sure...

Unfortunately, I have seen that in other unions as well, most notably a teacher's union. When my child was in 1st grade a gym teacher was at the end of his rope with a kid's behavior, threw him on the floor, stuck a starter pistol in his mouth, and threatened to shoot him. My child and a whole class of other kids who witnessed it were terrorized and the victim developed a school phobic reaction and never came back to school the rest of the year. The union offered the teacher a vigorous defense that got him transferred to another school by the school board. I don't know if the union paid for his defense at his criminal trial. It was wrong.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
And what is her allotted task?

To create an environment where kids can develop into adults.

He statement shows she is ill suited for that task and is in fact working toward a very different result.
If you have a Marxist world view, you are correct. The education systems of the Western world have been taken over by the Left. The current education system turns children into snowflakes. There is nothing adult about wanting the state to take over every aspect of your life.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
. No, it’s nothing of the sort.
Your wicki link just proved my point. No we should not have laws based upon those of certain groups (like unions etc.)
Just cause refers to an employer only disciplining a person for reasons of just cause. It’s a basic principle in employment.
We already have laws to protect us. Take an employer to court if you believe those rights have been violated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, I don’t want that at all. You don’t understand what just cause is at all. It protects workers from being fired. Please see the Wikipedia article I posted. I think you may be confusing just cause with something else.
I know what it is you want. You want more control over what people can do with their own businesses. People have rights, if they are violated by an employer take it to court

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your wicki link just proved my point. No we should not have laws based upon those of certain groups (like unions etc.)

Could you explain? Just cause isn’t about a group. It’s a legal principle.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know what it is you want. You want more control over what people can do with their own businesses. People have rights, if they are violated by an employer take it to court
So you don’t want people to be legally protected from being fired for social media posts? So you’re OK with cancel culture firings then?

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Could you explain? Just cause isn’t about a group. It’s a legal principle.
The employer has the burden of proof, not the employee.
It’s a legal principle.
In my opinion, it shouldn't be. Since my whole point is to not make more law, or law which switches the burden of proof. The accuser has the burden of proof, not the accused.

Upvote 0