USA
✟950,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Assistant principal at Staten Island high school is investigated after 'racist' rant on Facebook.
  • Deborah Morse-Cunningham is employed as assistant principal at New Dorp High School
  • The educator - who reportedly makes $130,000 per year - is accused of posting a rant to Facebook in which she referred to racist stereotypes
  • A concerned parent noticed the post and has started a petition to remove Morse-Cunningham from her position; the petition has nearly 10,000 signatures
  • The NYC Department of Education has now launched an investigation; Mayor Bill de Blasio says he is 'very concerned' by the post
Facebook Post

ED59BE48-A99F-4C27-B6EA-BB8C229499F6.jpeg

Petition

889B0E12-0855-4D68-AEE0-08301267AA57.jpeg

The New York City Department of Education has launched an investigation into a troubling Facebook post penned by an employee of a Staten Island high school.

Deborah Morse-Cunningham, who serves as the assistant principal of New Dorp High School, is still at work despite sharing a lengthy status update in which she pondered the nature of privilege by referring to a number of racial stereotypes.

'What is privilege?' Morse-Cunningham asked in the post, which has now been deleted.

'Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when you've never had a job. Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance.

'Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don't have a water bill, where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table.'

The lengthy status continued: 'Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or school you don't pay for'.

According to Staten Island Live, Morse-Cunningham's Facebook status was spotted by a parent who then started a Change.org petition to have her removed from her position as assistant principal.

'Deborah Morse-Cunningham, a longtime educator and assistant principal at New Dorp High School on the South Shore of Staten Island, has decided to use her platform and social media presence to post anti-Black messaging during this time,' the petition stated.

'She recently posted a rant to her public Facebook page, detailing vicious stereotypes and racial profiling directed at the Black community. As someone responsible for the tutelage of our youth, this is especially troubling and problematic rhetoric to say the least.'

The parent's petition - which now has more than 9,900 signatures - then states: 'This leads me to question what kind of practices she's instilled in the culture at New Dorp High School, and what kind of environment our children are learning in'.

The New York Post reports that Morse-Cunningham makes around $130,000 in her current role at New Dorp High School.

The school reportedly has a minority enrollment of 49 percent. Nearly 60 percent of its students are economically advantaged.

In a statement on Tuesday, DOE press secretary Miranda Barbot confirmed the probe and stated: 'The DOE stands against racism and schools must be safe and inclusive learning environments.

'Teachers and staff have a responsibility to uphold those values, and the principal reported this incident for investigation'.

On Monday, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he had not seen the post, but was 'very concerned'.

'No one in a position of authority should use racially insensitive language, especially someone who's an educator and kids look up to,' he stated.

Question: Is there merit to her statement? Is privilege overlooked in the Black community? Share your thoughts.

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Assistant principal at Staten Island high school is investigated after 'racist' rant on Facebook.
  • Deborah Morse-Cunningham is employed as assistant principal at New Dorp High School
  • The educator - who reportedly makes $130,000 per year - is accused of posting a rant to Facebook in which she referred to racist stereotypes
  • A concerned parent noticed the post and has started a petition to remove Morse-Cunningham from her position; the petition has nearly 10,000 signatures
  • The NYC Department of Education has now launched an investigation; Mayor Bill de Blasio says he is 'very concerned' by the post
Facebook Post

View attachment 279444

Petition

View attachment 279445

The New York City Department of Education has launched an investigation into a troubling Facebook post penned by an employee of a Staten Island high school.

Deborah Morse-Cunningham, who serves as the assistant principal of New Dorp High School, is still at work despite sharing a lengthy status update in which she pondered the nature of privilege by referring to a number of racial stereotypes.

'What is privilege?' Morse-Cunningham asked in the post, which has now been deleted.

'Privilege is wearing $200 sneakers when you've never had a job. Privilege is wearing $300 Beats headphones while living on public assistance.

'Privilege is living in public subsidized housing where you don't have a water bill, where rising property taxes and rents and energy costs have absolutely no effect on the amount of food you can put on your table.'

The lengthy status continued: 'Privilege is having as many children as you want, regardless of your employment status, and be able to send them off to daycare or school you don't pay for'.

According to Staten Island Live, Morse-Cunningham's Facebook status was spotted by a parent who then started a Change.org petition to have her removed from her position as assistant principal.

'Deborah Morse-Cunningham, a longtime educator and assistant principal at New Dorp High School on the South Shore of Staten Island, has decided to use her platform and social media presence to post anti-Black messaging during this time,' the petition stated.

'She recently posted a rant to her public Facebook page, detailing vicious stereotypes and racial profiling directed at the Black community. As someone responsible for the tutelage of our youth, this is especially troubling and problematic rhetoric to say the least.'

The parent's petition - which now has more than 9,900 signatures - then states: 'This leads me to question what kind of practices she's instilled in the culture at New Dorp High School, and what kind of environment our children are learning in'.

The New York Post reports that Morse-Cunningham makes around $130,000 in her current role at New Dorp High School.

The school reportedly has a minority enrollment of 49 percent. Nearly 60 percent of its students are economically advantaged.

In a statement on Tuesday, DOE press secretary Miranda Barbot confirmed the probe and stated: 'The DOE stands against racism and schools must be safe and inclusive learning environments.

'Teachers and staff have a responsibility to uphold those values, and the principal reported this incident for investigation'.

On Monday, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he had not seen the post, but was 'very concerned'.

'No one in a position of authority should use racially insensitive language, especially someone who's an educator and kids look up to,' he stated.

Question: Is there merit to her statement? Is privilege overlooked in the Black community? Share your thoughts.

This type of stuff always makes me laugh and mourn for America, because the solution is so simple but the only thing holding American together now is the ignorance, prejudice and racism.

If black people have privege that is greater than the 216,000,000 other Americans have shared over the past 244 years, then white people should want to switch places with blacks. We all know its BS that blacks have anything except a handicap; anywhere in the world you travel you know "the name" of them.

Now, having said all of that, blacks don't have privilege in America - otherwise they wouldn't die on live Snuff Film TV media by law enforcement (unarmed) while the rest of the nation apologizes for it. What blacks have is an Ouroboros of exploitation by people who claim to care for them but actually use them - companies specifically target them to make sure money stays out of their community as opposed to accumulating and building the community. Remember what happened in Tulsa? America did that to its own citizens...

Like any human, people will find a way to get what they want; this principal is - at best - myopic. And, it is clear she actually doesn't care to see beyond what she has been told as stereotype and what she has observed as extreme.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Facebook Post

View attachment 279444

Petition

View attachment 279445

Did she mention black people in particular? If she did not, then she is not being racist. If what she says is true, then she is also not being racist. "White privilege" is a racist rant by people who really should know better. Especially whites. As one Chinese entrepreneur in Australia said, "The harder I work, the luckier I get". That is true whatever background you have.

I realise that the truth is not welcome in this PC world. It makes people uncomfortable. They might have to admit that they are wrong and we can't have that.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ah the latest victim of cancel culture. She's very brave, if I was in her position I don't think I would be tweeting or posting something like that until I was safe in retirement.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This type of stuff always makes me laugh and mourn for America, because the solution is so simple but the only thing holding American together now is the ignorance, prejudice and racism.

In your opinion, what is the solution? Thank you for weighing in.

~Bella

Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did she mention black people in particular? If she did not, then she is not being racist. If what she says is true, then she is also not being racist. "White privilege" is a racist rant by people who really should know better. Especially whites. As one Chinese entrepreneur in Australia said, "The harder I work, the luckier I get". That is true whatever background you have.

It was suggested the comments were directed towards the black community.

I realise that the truth is not welcome in this PC world. It makes people uncomfortable. They might have to admit that they are wrong and we can't have that.

In my youth the slogan was, “it must be nice.” No one replied it wasn’t. Shaming people for plenty has many iterations.

~Bella

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ah the latest victim of cancel culture. She's very brave, if I was in her position I don't think I would be tweeting or posting something like that until I was safe in retirement.

I agree. Addressing the subject in that medium in the current climate wasn’t wise. The statement was bound to cause an uproar.

~Bella

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It troubles me that you can now get fired for expressing a view on social media. Not beating someone up. Not sexually harassing a student. Not keying someone's car. Stuff which should cost a person their job. But posting an idea or thought online.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Facebook Post

View attachment 279444

Petition

View attachment 279445

I understand the petition. I can fully say I would not want her teaching my kid. However when you police the internet regarding freedom of speech, not real actual crimes, then you deminish the rights of freedom of speech.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Mentioning a race doesn't make you racist.

In America, White have gotten where they are on the backs of slavery and Jim Crow. Hundreds of years of "natural" empire evolution was skipped via slavery and the subsequent discrimination that categorically privileged a certain group of people. The children of the figures of Antebellum have been taught how to exploit that privilege while at the same time damning the underprivileged. Those people have taught their children, who teach their children the same knee-jerk reactions to mere "suggestions" of racism and discrimination.

White Privilege isn't a racist rant. You have to have at least one eye and one ear to know that it is a matter of fact in America.

In your opinion, what is the solution? Thank you for weighing in.

~Bella

The solution is clearly to treat black people in America as equals, and human. Would you apologize for a dog that doesn't bite getting chocked out to death by a cop? Why it is acceptable for a black man to be chocked out by a cop when he is unarmed and restrained? Because it is clear black lives are a prop in America part of the time, and a level later to a demonic entity the rest of the time.

So, while the solution is simple, America will never actually attain it. Americans would rather see the nation burn to the ground than treat a certain group of people as equals and human (not like tragic cases, or lost children). The day America treats blacks as nearly equal is the day America will fall; racism is the glue that keeps America together.

So, you can probably see America is getting closer to its demise - and "we" are begging for it. If it takes 100+ years to realize something that should be obvious, you are already at a spiritual disadvantage.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I usually don't like it when people get "canceled" for expressing an opinion, but I'm less sympathetic here. I won't comment on whether or not it's racist, but it's definitely a very classist attack on lower income people, who seem to make up about 40% of her school's population. If you work in public education, you can expect to be held to a certain standard of decorum, and this isn't it.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
It troubles me that you can now get fired for expressing a view on social media. Not beating someone up. Not sexually harassing a student. Not keying someone's car. Stuff which should cost a person their job. But posting an idea or thought online.

Universities and places of employ have codices that you have to follow.

There are consequences for your actions. If you exhibit prejudice on social media, one would have to be inept and indifferent to assume the person does not apply that prejudice to the workplace. This is especially true if you work in medicine, or education. It isn't even a matter of prejudice being wrong for most institutions: it is a matter of money. Schools make anywhere from $40 - $90 per day per person; losing "attendance" of black people because of a prejudiced or ignorant principal means the school loses money.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Did she mention black people in particular? If she did not, then she is not being racist.
That was exactly my thoughts. It seems those calling her racists are the ones saying this only applies to blacks. Now that's racist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,108.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That was exactly my thoughts. It seems those calling her racists are the ones saying this only applies to blacks. Now that's racist.
It's kind of a Rorschach test, isn't it?

"I see black people."

"But there's no mention of black people. Since there are just about as many whites as blacks on welfare, you're obviously seeing a stereotype you hold of black people."

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I understand the petition. I can fully say I would not want her teaching my kid. However when you police the internet regarding freedom of speech, not real actual crimes, then you deminish the rights of freedom of speech.
I wouldn't want her teaching either. But not because I am black or white. But because Poor Children come in all colors and need understanding and support. I would fear she would give off an attitude to the children. All children

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

This has been happening a lot. People will reference things you’ve said years ago and it can happen to anyone.

~Bella

Upvote 0