Oregon bill aims to crack down on racially motivated 911 calls

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If a white person is subject to a lawsuit for simply calling 911 while white, then it's worth thinking about, especially when black activists are in charge of creating such laws.
good it will make them think twice about harassment calls .

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Where the heck do you live where they do that? I've never once had them ask for my DL.

Multiple states. It's a field they have to fill on their police report. Otherwise if you're a crime victim, how do they know who you are? Now maybe if you call 911, caller ID already tells them.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

So....I was curious about how this would possibly play out in reality. It looks like it's pretty toothless.

"Victims of these calls must be able to prove the caller summoned a police officer to purposefully discriminate or damage a person’s reputation."

Unless the caller is willing to admit this is the reason why they called....or someone records them admitting as much....any attempt to score 250$ isn't going to get very far.

I don't know if small claims court is as busy as criminal court....but hopefully it won't become swamped with frivolous cases because of this legislation.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No one is going to be punished for calling the police when there is actually a reason to.

I don't think that's the issue. The risk of being sued for 250$, especially in poor neighborhoods, might keep people from calling the police when it's legitimately warranted.

For example, imagine a white guy driving through an unfamiliar neighborhood witnesses a black guy entering a house through the window. He thinks that a break in is occurring....and it is....but he decides not to call the police just in case the guy actually lives there and simply locked himself out.

Why risk it? If someone was handing out lottery tickets where the only prize was that you end up paying someone else 250$....would you take one? You may have an unlikely chance of having to pay 250$....but your chances of losing 250$ are 0% if you never call.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lawmakers are dealing with a real problem of racist abuse of the 911 system and responded with an attempt to fix it.

If the events weren't occurring they would not need to do so.

That's assuming their interpretation of the events is correct.

No one is going to be punished for calling the police when there is actually a reason to.

And who is going to determine that? The caller? Or the police? Or a judge? If you see something, say something. At least, that's what we're told. If a person sees what they believe to be a crime being committed, and then they call the police and it turns out the suspicious person wasn't doing anything wrong, did the caller have "a reason to" call?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
After cleanup Thread now open for posting again.
Please address the content of the post and not poster.
Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

As I understand it, everybody who has the police called on them is entitled to sue. The court then decides if the call was racially motivated or not.

That's certainly an incentive to look the other way when you see a non-white person committing a crime.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,295.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
My biggest issue with this law is the lack of protection it gives defendants. It allows for judges to award lawyer fees to plaintiffs who win, but not respondents. Maybe that already is part of Oregon civil procedure, but I'm not familiar enough with it to say either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As I understand it, everybody who has the police called on them is entitled to sue. The court then decides if the call was racially motivated or not.

That's certainly an incentive to look the other way when you see a non-white person committing a crime.

Entitled to sue and have your case laughed out of court you mean?

You should already be ready to answer the question: Why did I call the police. When you call the police.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And who is going to determine that? The caller? Or the police? Or a judge? If you see something, say something. At least, that's what we're told. If a person sees what they believe to be a crime being committed, and then they call the police and it turns out the suspicious person wasn't doing anything wrong, did the caller have "a reason to" call?

If you have a legit reason you called the cops then it shouldn't be so hard to defend.

What you're complaining about is... being accountable for what you do (gasp)

The incidents spoken about were just Black people going about their business in a very normal way, they should have a right to exist and not be harassed by people thinking they are suspicious for just existing and acting like a normal human being.

It should be a deterrent to calling the police haphazardly, that is exactly what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you have a legit reason you called the cops then it shouldn't be so hard to defend.

What you're complaining about is... being accountable for what you do (gasp)

I think the complaint is that it's unclear how the courts will determine whether or not racism occurred. It states in the wording of the law that it's not that the defendant has to prove that a call wasn't racist....the person making the allegations is responsible for proving a call was racist in nature.

If that's the case....then theoretically, a defendant can just stay silent and give no reason for the call whatsoever. Unless they have some evidence...the allegations should fall on deaf ears.

The incidents spoken about were just Black people going about their business in a very normal way, they should have a right to exist and not be harassed by people thinking they are suspicious for just existing and acting like a normal human being.

Right....and people who suspect criminal activity is occurring have the right to call the police. It doesn't matter if no criminal activity is actually occurring.

It should be a deterrent to calling the police haphazardly, that is exactly what it is.

That...or it's going to have the unintended effect of a number of black people learning that their allegations of racism won't get far without evidence.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that's the issue. The risk of being sued for 250$

Actually, there is no upper limit to the $ amount. The $250 is a minimum.

My biggest issue with this law is the lack of protection it gives defendants. It allows for judges to award lawyer fees to plaintiffs who win, but not respondents.

Exactly, so if you call 911 and get sued, you're guaranteed to lose, since at least you're up for legal fees. That's a really, really big reason not to call 911.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think the complaint is that it's unclear how the courts will determine whether or not racism occurred. It states in the wording of the law that it's not that the defendant has to prove that a call wasn't racist....the person making the allegations is responsible for proving a call was racist in nature.

You don't think it would work like a normal judicial proceeding?

In the article it says:
The article said:
Victims of these calls must be able to prove the caller summoned a police officer to purposefully discriminate or damage a person’s reputation.

If that's the case....then theoretically, a defendant can just stay silent and give no reason for the call whatsoever. Unless they have some evidence...the allegations should fall on deaf ears.

You think so?

Accuser:
I was making a call in the middle of a hotel lobby and someone called the cops on me.

Defendant:
Silence?

Doesn't sound like a great defense to me.

Right....and people who suspect criminal activity is occurring have the right to call the police. It doesn't matter if no criminal activity is actually occurring.

They should have a reason to be suspicious then. As long as the reasoning is there it seems like it would be hard to prosecute.

That...or it's going to have the unintended effect of a number of black people learning that their allegations of racism won't get far without evidence.

I think the guy in the hotel has a pretty solid case. He was making a phone call in a hotel lobby. So, it doesn't sound all that suspicious. Or the lady that got the police called on her by knocking on doors campaigning while being black.

I am also pretty sure that you can already claim damages from people using the police or legal system to harass you. It's just not usually done.

Upvote 0