Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be honest I have a hard time caring what ANY large group of Christians are doing. I'm thinking small these days, limiting my energy and concern for what my own community is called to do. I don't mean that I don't care about the other stuff, it just seems like a waste of your life to invest too much of it in large organizations. They will always break your heart.​

Gordon Atkinson a/k/a Real Live Preacher

amused

Oct 10, 2006
west australia
Visit site
✟15,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I have experienced the same thing and I think putting our energy into our communities, where we live in everyday life, where we work etc is what Jesus called us to do.

All I know is when I was involved in bigger church institutions, I forgot my immediate community. Yeah we were doing something for the surrounding community of the church but not that much. I know I have let down my neighbours and my workplaces because I have been too busy doing stuff in these institutions which really didnt reach anyone but the people in the church.

I havent been going to church for about 4 yearsish. I know I have been more available to those I love, to my community etc than I have ever been. I think when I was in the empire building church institution (I know they arent all like that) (It just seems like it lmao) It was like I had my head so far (well you know what I am saying) to notice the world around me. I was no longer relevant to any unbeliever. I was a freaky church going nut who had no time for anyone else except for christians.

After saying all this, I think there is a place for everyone and everyone has different passions and we need people with passions to hold meetings where we can all get together. The five fold ministry is a good thing. The idea of a church institution is to encourage us to live every day to the fullest, reaching out to our neighbour etc. Unfortunatley from what I have experienced church is about putting on a show, become bigger and brighter. Almost like locking your talents in the four walls of the institution itself instead of shining that light.

I apologise for this boxed up kind of opinion. I know church could function as a light, I just dont see it alot.
Go the Salvos! (not a member just appreciate them reaching their commiunities!)

cheers ;)

Upvote 0

FLANDIDLYANDERS

When I am slain may my corpse lie facing the Enemy
Aug 16, 2005
Pompey
✟20,336.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It is the mustard-seed, and not the oak-seed (acorn?) that changes the world.

Mustard is a tiny little bush, but spreads and devours everything like a weed. And the smell! Its fire, though, can only be released when it is crushed.

This understanding applies to the church.

Also, mustard was a fairly offensive analogy to jews... like telling us that Gods kingdom is like dope or smog!

(hehe, anal-ogy... never get tired of that)

"The church that gets smaller and smaller, untill it takes over the world." Shaine Claiborne (there abouts)

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For me church is about fellowshipping with other believers as well as reaching out to the immediate community. You can strike a healthy balance between your Christian and non-Christian friends. We are a relatively small, but ever increasing and thriving fellowship and our Pastor's heart is for the community where we live. We don't apologise for having very big plans. We begin small and grow and grow, simple. I can see why people can become discouraged and overwhelmed by large gatherings of believers, but it's not necessarily always a bad thing.

I guess in the end it comes down to personal preference :)

Upvote 0

KCDAD

Aug 4, 2005
Illinois
✟14,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always liked the story of Jesus preaching to the hoardes of people following him and then always running away to be with his disciples... I think of Jesus sending out the groups of disciples throughout his ministry to whittle down his immediate followers... I think about only the 12 were privvy to the secrets of the Gospel...
AND THEN I think about these mega churches where the head pastor won't even meet with members of the congregation but has official counselors to do that for him... The smaller the group the better I say. If you got 30,000 or 30,000,000 members... something is wrong. You are either not preaching the truth or watering it down so much it is meaningless. I like ethe story about the fisherman who was told if he went to a new fishing hole he could catch more fish. "Why?" he asked. "I have enough". But you could get more, and then get more boats and hire people and catch even more fish...
"But, I already have all I need. If I did what you suggest I would no longer be a fisherman, but a businessman."

Reactions: Athene
Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I always liked the story of Jesus preaching to the hoardes of people following him and then always running away to be with his disciples... I think of Jesus sending out the groups of disciples throughout his ministry to whittle down his immediate followers... I think about only the 12 were privvy to the secrets of the Gospel...
AND THEN I think about these mega churches where the head pastor won't even meet with members of the congregation but has official counselors to do that for him... The smaller the group the better I say. If you got 30,000 or 30,000,000 members... something is wrong. You are either not preaching the truth or watering it down so much it is meaningless. I like ethe story about the fisherman who was told if he went to a new fishing hole he could catch more fish. "Why?" he asked. "I have enough". But you could get more, and then get more boats and hire people and catch even more fish...
"But, I already have all I need. If I did what you suggest I would no longer be a fisherman, but a businessman."
This made me smile. Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A Christ-like lifestyle does not appeal to the majority of people. Likely, when something does attract hoards of people, it is because it appeals to the lowest common denominator. Even if it is disguised as righteousness, if you seriously study the message, it often appeals to vicious side of humanity, and not the virtuous. I try to avoid large associations, churches, or herds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums