Has anyone ever recovered after they walked away into sin without even realizing it?

• yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have

• I know someone that has

• Total voters

Roidecoeur78

This world is not my home.
Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, my name is Jason and I'm a new member. I joined just a couple days ago because for the last few months I've been heavily convicted of having fallen into a state of what Catholicism calls "mortal sin"(although I am not a Catholic). All the sin I had been blind to has been brought before my mind's eye in a short period of time and the salvation I felt assured of 10 years ago is now greatly in doubt. Like David's 51st psalm, I cry out and pray for a clean heart and renewed mind, for my heart to be softened and to be able to walk back into the light that it seems I walked away from, but the joy of salvation has been lost and I fear having quenched the Holy Spirit or it having been withdrawn irrevocably. Hopeful, peaceful moments are few and far between, and I can't tell whether all this conviction is a good indication or a bad one. While I've ceased any and all known sin, I can't tell whether I'm able to truly repent in contrition or am just acting out of fear. I've seen plenty of people console others in threads by saying if they were really lost they just wouldn't even care, but that's not how Hebrews 12:17 paints it at all. I'm not sure if I'm beyond help or if anyone's prayers might be of any use, but all I can do is ask.

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Brother first I pray for the Lord's peace over you. I have had similar struggles about obeying out of love or fear. I don't know that our obedience is ever perfect in that way this side of heaven. Stopping all sin is impossible. I lind of want to side step all of this and ask you a different question. Do you love God? That's more important than any given sin. You are also under grace so the amount and type of sin is not what matters but your relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you love God? That's more important than any given sin.
Thank you for your outreach, your question cuts right to core.
That's the root of my problem, I used to know that I did and now I 'm unsure if I ever really did. For so long, I'd only come back to Him during times of doubt and crisis, like a fair-weather friend. And now about that I loathe myself, especially so, but only in retrospect because it was as if I had been asleep at the wheel for far too long. Never before has hating and being disgusted by sin been so real, because only now have sin's effects been so real. Eternal separation from the Father, who would choose such thing? What a horror! How could I have gone and lived for the flesh if i had really loved Him? Many tears have I wept to Him over the last few months, in sadness and in fear, about my having become such a hardened hypocrite. How deep is this darkness!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure you understand the criteria for Moral Sin, although that's a side issue to the main point of your post, so I'll leave it at that.

Overall, I'd advise you to have a long talk with your priest or someone religious that you trust, and try to figure out the situation from there. If you want to try to type it all out, that sometimes helps; even if you don't post it, getting it all written down can help rationalize the situation. The best I can say right now is, calm down, pray about it, take some quiet time, and try to figure all this out without rushing to conclusions. We're praying for you, just take it kind of slow, and find someone to talk.

God be with you.

• Agree
Reactions: Roidecoeur78
Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure you understand the criteria for Moral Sin,
God be with you.
Thank you for your counsel. The understanding I came to was that a mortal sin is something so grave that it has the potential to completely sever one's relationship with Him, whereas a venial one insults it and is definitely not good either.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, my name is Jason and I'm a new member. I joined just a couple days ago because for the last few months I've been heavily convicted of having fallen into a state of what Catholicism calls "mortal sin"(although I am not a Catholic). All the sin I had been blind to has been brought before my mind's eye in a short period of time and the salvation I felt assured of 10 years ago is now greatly in doubt. Like David's 51st psalm, I cry out and pray for a clean heart and renewed mind, for my heart to be softened and to be able to walk back into the light that it seems I walked away from, but the joy of salvation has been lost and I fear having quenched the Holy Spirit or it having been withdrawn irrevocably. Hopeful, peaceful moments are few and far between, and I can't tell whether all this conviction is a good indication or a bad one. While I've ceased any and all known sin, I can't tell whether I'm able to truly repent in contrition or am just acting out of fear. I've seen plenty of people console others in threads by saying if they were really lost they just wouldn't even care, but that's not how Hebrews 12:17 paints it at all. I'm not sure if I'm beyond help or if anyone's prayers might be of any use, but all I can do is ask.
Praying for you.

Question, do you still attend church or have a church that you could begin attending again? If you do, you should also have a pastor who can counsel you/pray for you and I would recommend that you call him immediately if you have not already done so .. cf Hebrews 13:17.

Remember that the Lord has promised to forgive any/all of the sins and blasphemies that we commit, save one, and I do not believe that it is possible to commit that particular sin today. The Lord also promises to sanctify us and see us safely through this life to Glory (which includes seeing us through our failures as well .. e.g. John 6:37-40, 10:27-28; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; Hebrews 7:25; 1 John 1:8-2:2).

Remember that God knew exactly who/what He was getting when He saved you (so there's nothing that you could ever do that will surprise Him), and just like me, He chose to save you anyway :amen: Always remember too that He loves you so much that He chose to die for you, rather than live w/o you in this age, or in the age to come!

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - I know it will take time, but you need to begin considering how vital it is to listen to God's voice alone by choosing to take Him at His word, especially where His promises to us are concerned, and especially right now. He promised to forgive you and restore you to full fellowship with Him if you ask Him to forgive you and repent, and you need to believe/know that He will do exactly that :preach: To think otherwise is to play right into our enemy's hands, who would far prefer to have you listening to him, wallowing in self pity, and dishonoring God by not believing Him (because Satan knows that as long as you do, you will not be very useful/effective as a Christian).

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your counsel. The understanding I came to was that a mortal sin is something so grave that it has the potential to completely sever one's relationship with Him, whereas a venial one insults it and is definitely not good either.

You mean be an unforgivable sin?

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Praying for you.

Question, do you still attend church or have a church that you could begin attending again?
Thanks, David.
Recently I've been going to church, but previously I had been "unchurched" for most of the time. Treating it as an option, but not a necessity, I would occasionally go to a service here and there without ever becoming a full fledged member. I'd always rationalize it by saying religion wasn't what a true believer was supposed to worship anyway. But I see now why Paul said not to neglect gathering together, it left me vulnerable and easily deceived.

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mean be an unforgivable sin?
Catholics call a sin that is grave enough to completely sever one's relationship from God if not repented of a "mortal sin", rather than a venial one that just dishonors it. Both can be forgiven if repented of, so are not the unpardonable sin. But I also fear I may have done that. A lot of people seem to think it's very specific to calling works of the holy spirit works of the evil one. But actually blasphemy means impiety, irreverence(specifically toward Holiness) and would include any disrespectful, untrue, or abusive word(s) spoken against God(the Holy Spirit). So what the Pharisees were doing was speaking such language toward someone that, whether they knew it or not, was the Father incarnate. He told the apostles if they had seen Him they had seen the Father. But the Holy spirit was and is always God the Father working in someone. God is a spirit, the Holiest of all. So if anyone speaks a word against Him, they in deep doodoo. He meant they might have said all they wanted about what they thought of Jesus as a man, and could still be forgiven if they repented of it, but if they started speaking evil of the Holy One within Him doing those works they were risking unpardonable blasphemy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Catholics call a sin that is grave enough to completely sever one's relationship from God if not repented of a "mortal sin", rather than a venial one that just dishonors it. Both can be forgiven if repented of, so are not the unpardonable sin. But I also fear I may have done that. A lot of people seem to think it's very specific to calling works of the holy spirit works of the evil one. But actually blasphemy means impiety, irreverence(specifically toward Holiness) and would include any disrespectful, untrue, or abusive word(s) spoken against God(the Holy Spirit). So what the Pharisees were doing was speaking such language toward someone that, whether they knew it or not, was the Father incarnate.

But Jesus specifically said:
Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. ... And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

If He meant the "Father incarnate" rather than the Holy Spirit, He would have most likely said that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've seen plenty of people console others in threads by saying if they were really lost they just wouldn't even care, but that's not how Hebrews 12:17 paints it at all.
My advice is to place verses like that on a shelf and pursue the Lord with all you've got. James 4 was written with this in mind, it's all about seeking God in a desperate place - and finding Him.

Remember, for all the warnings in scripture, the promises remain. Your sin would have to exceed the redeeming power of the atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ in order to sink you irreparably, if you only decide to reconsecrate yourself to Him whatever the cost. Even when we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself. Elijah found that out when he failed, as have so many saints including myself.

Very simply, you'll never know unless you place the fatalism aside and make the decision to begin anew to serve Him with your whole heart, starting NOW. Read Php 3, about putting the past behind you, and Php 4, about rejoicing your way out of the pit, and Eph 6, about the necessity of the spiritual armor.

I don't know you, but I dare say whatever you've done has not shocked Almighty God. Humble yourself before Him, and you will find mercy and grace. Those who are forgiven much, love much, and you yet have the potential to be a trophy of grace for Him, in some ways perhaps even greater than before.

Stay in the Word and feed on the promises. In Christ they are "Yes"; they only await our "Amen" to become effective.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...blasphemy means impiety, irreverence(specifically toward Holiness)
Hi Jason, don't forget, ANY/ALL sins & blasphemies (save a ~very~ specific one) shall be forgiven the sons of men according to the word of God .. Matthew 12:31-32; Mark 3:28-30.

Do not allow Satan to convince you that what God says to us in His word is not true .. even in part :preach: Rather, always choose to believe God by taking Him at His word, especially when it's hard to do so/when Satan is trying his best to give you all kinds of reasons not to. Take the thoughts of the enemy "captive" and give them over to the Lord to deal with .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 10:5.

cf Joshua 1:8; Psalms 1:1-3; 119:9-11, Romans 12:2; 1 Corinthians 10:13; Ephesians 6:10-17; 2 Timothy 2:15; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8-9.

--David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roidecoeur78

Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟28,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single