Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Working at getting my thoughts straight, but I do not read Greek or Aramaic....what would be the most accurate and purposeful translation of the NT according to MJ? I have one translated by David H. Stern but am not sure if it is the "best". This is the one I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/9653590103/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the Jewish scriptures I have a JPS study bible and Artscroll Stone Edition.

Stern is a paraphrase. Check his introduction.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stern is a paraphrase. Check his introduction.
Ha, to be honest I havn't really delved into it at all....as you probable see from my other threads I am still sorting everything out. In your opinion, which translation would be good to work with? I have heard NAB, and I used to use a NAB when I was Catholic.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ha, to be honest I havn't really delved into it at all....as you probable see from my other threads I am still sorting everything out. In your opinion, which translation would be good to work with? I have heard NAB, and I used to use a NAB when I was Catholic.

I like the ESV.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Working at getting my thoughts straight, but I do not read Greek or Aramaic....what would be the most accurate and purposeful translation of the NT according to MJ? I have one translated by David H. Stern but am not sure if it is the "best". This is the one I have:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/9653590103/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You seem ok for the Tanach. Do bear in mind that when you come to the Christian Testament, there is an almost inexhaustible variety of 'versions'. A large number are variants of the King James Version, most others are paraphrased, based on another version, or aimed at a group of believers; there are also Easy Read in English versions at one end of the scale, up to such as the 'Spirit filled' versions towards the other end.

The best bet is to get one that you feel comfortable using - I would strongly suggest that you get one with lots of cross-references so that you can easily cross refer the Christian Testament to the Tanach. A large part of the Christian Testament is made up of direct quotes from, or allusions to, the Tanach; you will never properly understand the last 27 books unless you try to make the connections between them and the 39 (or 24) books in the Tanach. The key thing is that it is not so much a question of which to read, but whether you are going to take the trouble to read what is behind the text, as it were; doing this will be far more fruitful than chasing a non-existent 'good Messianic bible'. :)

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
You seem ok for the Tanach. Do bear in mind that when you come to the Christian Testament, there is an almost inexhaustible variety of 'versions'. A large number are variants of the King James Version, most others are paraphrased, based on another version, or aimed at a group of believers; there are also Easy Read in English versions at one end of the scale, up to such as the 'Spirit filled' versions towards the other end.

The best bet is to get one that you feel comfortable using - I would strongly suggest that you get one with lots of cross-references so that you can easily cross refer the Christian Testament to the Tanach. A large part of the Christian Testament is made up of direct quotes from, or allusions to, the Tanach; you will never properly understand the last 27 books unless you try to make the connections between them and the 39 (or 24) books in the Tanach. The key thing is that it is not so much a question of which to read, but whether you are going to take the trouble to read what is behind the text, as it were; doing this will be far more fruitful than chasing a non-existent 'good Messianic bible'. :)

Most NT quotes of the Tanach are from the Septuagint or a free-hand Greek, aren't they?

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Most NT quotes of the Tanach are from the Septuagint or a free-hand Greek, aren't they?

The Christian Testament is probably translated from a mixture of Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic, with a number of words from none of those, just as English has 'borrowed' words from several languages, just as American has changed its root of English with particular words or phrases, and borrowed words from elsewhere. However, looking up the cross references is an easy excellent way of getting an overview of scripture, without using interlinear bibles, BDB and Strongs etc.

The idea is that, where possible, connections should be made in the Tanach - the root of the Christian faith. If people are not following the connections, their faith will be based on something like eating a toffee with the paper still on - yes, it's a toffee, and may even allow you to get a taste of it, but it will not be the full experience.
:)

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Christian Testament is probably translated from a mixture of Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic, with a number of words from none of those, just as English has 'borrowed' words from several languages, just as American has changed its root of English with particular words or phrases, and borrowed words from elsewhere. However, looking up the cross references is an easy excellent way of getting an overview of scripture, without using interlinear bibles, BDB and Strongs etc.

The idea is that, where possible, connections should be made in the Tanach - the root of the Christian faith. If people are not following the connections, their faith will be based on something like eating a toffee with the paper still on - yes, it's a toffee, and may even allow you to get a taste of it, but it will not be the full experience.
:)

I was referring to those times when the NT quotes the OT.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I was referring to those times when the NT quotes the OT.

It will say which source in the book, under the Copyright acknowledgements, though sometimes the text is altered by a translator for what seems to be no real reason or explanation. Unless one is going to make a serious academic study, where that would make a difference, making connections is important - one can always move on from that basic form of study.

My maxim is: The bible (from Genesis to Revelation) is not a book to read - it is a book to study and understand, as far as you are able, with the Spirit's help. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm looking forward to this Bible. Hopefully, it will be an accurate translation from a Jewish perspective.

It doesn't give any information as to who is researching / writing this version. It is important to know the academic calibre of the real workers, not just a few back office names. I would not donate, or buy, until I know that information. :)

I am not claiming this Bible is a fraud, but there have been people in the past who ask for money to fund free bibles for all who donate, but then neither the free book, nor the money appears. Buyer beware is a good rule.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't give any information as to who is researching / writing this version. It is important to know the academic calibre of the real workers, not just a few back office names. I would not donate, or buy, until I know that information. :)

I am not claiming this Bible is a fraud, but there have been people in the past who ask for money to fund free bibles for all who donate, but then neither the free book, nor the money appears. Buyer beware is a good rule.
I agree. Good advice. I have not donated yet. I will donate after I receive a free copy and decide if it is worthy of funding.

• Useful
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can anyone recommend a Bible that has decent cross reference between the NT and OT? I think I prefer ESV or NAB, not NIV...maybe NKJV, but I'm not too familiar with that version.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can anyone recommend a Bible that has decent cross reference between the NT and OT? I think I prefer ESV or NAB, not NIV...maybe NKJV, but I'm not too familiar with that version.
I like eSword in conjunction with the Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge. You can use any Bible version you want. Just click on a verse in one window and the TSK in another window and it will bring up a bunch of cross references tied to individual words in the verse.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I like eSword in conjunction with the Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge. You can use any Bible version you want. Just click on a verse in one window and the TSK in another window and it will bring up a bunch of cross references tied to individual words in the verse.

And most of all, it is free! You can also get Strongs if you load the KJV. That is not an endorsement for the KJV, just that it is the only version they have with Strongs - or at least it was when I last downloaded e-sword. You can download multiple versions of the Bible, and search each of them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: gadar perets
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In your case tampasteve, eSword can also begin to teach you Hebrew and Greek. You can display the KJV with Strong's numbers next to the words. Then just click on the number to see what the Hebrew or Greek word is and its definition. Or you can display the entire text in either language by itself or as an interlinear (Hebrew or Greek with the English translation).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In your case tampasteve, eSword can also begin to teach you Hebrew and Greek. You can display the KJV with Strong's numbers next to the words. Then just click on the number to see what the Hebrew or Greek word is and its definition. Or you can display the entire text in either language by itself or as an interlinear (Hebrew or Greek with the English translation).
Very interesting software, I had not heard of it before, I am going to download it today!

Any suggestions for a physical Bible though? I like to have the physical one as well.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Very interesting software, I had not heard of it before, I am going to download it today!

Any suggestions for a physical Bible though? I like to have the physical one as well.

Try them out on e-Sword, then buy the hard copy of the one you like the best - that will avoid buying the 'wrong' one :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have one translated by David H. Stern but am not sure if it is the "best".
I do not like Stern's translation because he adds his own commentary into the text.
Both of those are good. Personally I like Artscroll a bit better.

Upvote 0