Madison Avenue business center evicts New York City lawyer: disrepute re. his tirades about Spanish

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If this (former) Madison Avenue NYC lawyer now knows what is in his best interests, it would probably be to resign proactively from the NY Bar, and if he eventually wants to apply to practise law again, apply eventually while furnishing certificates showing he has satisfactorily completed courses in multicultural awareness and anger management, preferably also with multiple references from prominent members of the Spanish-speaking community from whom he will have credibly maintained good relations over a significant period.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,498.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If this (former) Madison Avenue NYC lawyer now knows what is in his best interests,...

Yeah, if he knows what good for him...

Even if I disagree with everything he said, he should still have the right to say it without being punished to faroukfarouk's satisfaction, and forced to hold faroukfarouk's opinion, and being re-educated by multi-anger-culture-management whatever.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Even if I disagree with everything he said, he should still have the right to say it without being punished to faroukfarouk's satisfaction, and forced to hold faroukfarouk's opinion, and being re-educated by multi-anger-culture-management whatever.
Why would his clients paying Madison Avenue fees want him to handle their affairs when they can watch his anti-Spanish rants and threats on CNN? He may not have broken the law. (I don't know.)

But there is such a thing as unprofessional behavior and bringing a business and a profession into disprepute; any formal investigation which carefully studied the matter with the testimony of multiple witnesses would probably find that he had done so.

(My opinions are neither here nor there.)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,498.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why would his clients paying Madison Avenue fees want him to handle their affairs when they can watch his anti-Spanish rants and threats on CNN? He may not have broken the law. (I don't know.)
Any number of reasons, none of which concern you or me.
But there is such a thing as unprofessional behavior and bringing a business and a profession into disprepute; any formal investigation which carefully studied the matter with the testimony of multiple witnesses would probably find that he had done so.
He was not practicing his profession at the time. He was at a restaurant.
(My opinions are neither here nor there.)
They're here. I see them right up above. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Any number of reasons, none of which concern you or me.

He was not practicing his profession at the time. He was at a restaurant.

They're here. I see them right up above. :)
Most professional associations do have a clause whereby the member is expected not to bring the profession into disrepute by his or her behavior. (I'm sure the Chio State Bar is similar in this respect.)

It's hard to think that many clients and would be clients of this Madison Avenue lawyer would not have questions in their mind as to whether this had indeed happened. He is entitled to a hearing before a disciplinary panel (it would probably be in his best interests to resign proactively, though).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The video did not give very specific information. What did he say, exactly, and what laws did he break?
There is another thread with the relevant video of his objectionable tirade.

The point of this thread is - I guess - that he may not have broken any laws but there is also such a thing as bringing a profession into disrepute.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is another thread with the relevant video of his objectionable tirade.

The point of this thread is - I guess - that he may not have broken any laws but there is also such a thing as bringing a profession into disrepute.

What did he say that was "racist"? And if he broke no laws, why would he be dis-barred?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What did he say that was "racist"? And if he broke no laws, why would he be dis-barred?
He objected to employees in a restaurant speaking to each other in Spanish and to them speaking Spanish to Spanish speaking customers (none of his business). He ranted and ranted (he was asked to leave the restaurant.) He threatened to expose the Spanish speakers to the authorities while he had no knowledge of whether the people involved were lawbreakers, with the sole evidence for his lawbreaking insinuation being that they spoke Spanish, as do also millions of Americans.

He may have broken no laws. But there is such a thing as bringing one's profession into disrepute. Clients paying Madison Avenue lawyers fees don't usually wish to see their lawyer behaving so disreputably on CNN. The term 'racist' was not mine, but I'm guessing its seen here in an ethnolinguistic context.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
He objected to employees in a restaurant speaking to each other in Spanish and to them speaking Spanish to Spanish speaking customers (none of his business). He ranted and ranted (he was asked to leave the restaurant.) He threatened to expose the Spanish speakers to the authorities while he had no knowledge of whether the people involved were lawbreakers, with the sole evidence for his lawbreaking insinuation being that they spoke Spanish, as do also millions of Americans.

He may have broken no laws. But there is such a thing as bringing one's profession into disrepute. Clients paying Madison Avenue lawyers fees don't usually wish to see their lawyer behaving so disreputably on CNN. The term 'racist' was not mine, but I'm guessing its seen here in an ethnolinguistic context.

He was a patron there in the restaurant?

Perhaps if you posted the other video you mentioned, it might provide some clarity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

How about by his bosses for failing to do the job they hired him for -- and in fact, doing the exact opposite of what they hired him for?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He was a patron there in the restaurant?

Perhaps if you posted the other video you mentioned, it might provide some clarity.
It's on another thread; I don't think I'm suppose to promote other threads; I've sent it to you. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To head off the hand wringing about "freeze peach": the First Amendment does not protect you from consequences of your speech.

There....saved the thread pages and pages of crocodile tears over a racist getting dumped for making his law firm look bad.
Ringo

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His rant at the restaurant wasn't the first time he did something like that. There's a video of him from a year or so ago where he is berating a person who bumped into him; calling him a dirty foreigner (the guy in question was from Massachusetts). It seems he also once got arrested at a baseball game for being drunk and disorderly. He allegedly threatened to beat up the arresting officer.

Upvote 0