Jesus prophesied that we would be keeping the Sabbath until He returns in Matthew 24

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...All that matters is what the first century Jews understood the “Law of Moses” to be.
This came to my mind from Luke 24
“This is what I told you, while I was still with you, that all things which are written in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms, concerning me must be fulfilled.”

Law of Moses here refers to the first five books of the Bible, I believe.

And that's key if the same writer is writing the book of Acts to the same person.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The account is goal driven where the details build and support a goal but the details are not meant to work alone in the context given which is a common biblical focus. So when Christ speaks of a warning to pray our flight isn't in the winter or on the sabbath what he is affirming keepinf the sabbath according to the law for all time just like he is not saying all winters are cold in the entire globe.

the account is goal driven where the details of the account are there to build and support the goal but not there to be taken separately from the context (most of the bible is this way). What you seem to be doing is taking the details out of their context to declare they stand alone as separate prophecies. This is not true for the sabbath as it is not true for winter (another example taken from the account). Christ is not declaring a universal sabbath according to the law regardless of time or place just as he is not declaring that winter is the same regardless of time and place.

we need to consider who Jesus is speaking to and when he uses these examples as well as what point he is trying to make and the role these examples play to build his point. The point he is not trying to make is to keep the sabbath according to the law 2000 years after he spoke the words and if you think that you have missed the point. But don't misunderstand me, I'm not making a statement of our responsibility of keeping the sabbath I'm simply saying this passage is not a prophecy in support of keeping the sabbath according to the law.
All Winters aren't cold everywhere on Earth, good observation.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The account is goal driven where the details build and support a goal but the details are not meant to work alone in the context given which is a common biblical focus. So when Christ speaks of a warning to pray our flight isn't in the winter or on the sabbath what he is affirming keepinf the sabbath according to the law for all time just like he is not saying all winters are cold in the entire globe.

the account is goal driven where the details of the account are there to build and support the goal but not there to be taken separately from the context (most of the bible is this way). What you seem to be doing is taking the details out of their context to declare they stand alone as separate prophecies. This is not true for the sabbath as it is not true for winter (another example taken from the account). Christ is not declaring a universal sabbath according to the law regardless of time or place just as he is not declaring that winter is the same regardless of time and place.

we need to consider who Jesus is speaking to and when he uses these examples as well as what point he is trying to make and the role these examples play to build his point. The point he is not trying to make is to keep the sabbath according to the law 2000 years after he spoke the words and if you think that you have missed the point. But don't misunderstand me, I'm not making a statement of our responsibility of keeping the sabbath I'm simply saying this passage is not a prophecy in support of keeping the sabbath according to the law.
Christ did not strictly enforce the seventh day Sabbath, others did. In 2009 a group in Israel was throwing stones at cars being driven on the Sabbath. Most Jews in Israel do not drive on Sabbath. Some Orthodox neighborhoods barricaded their streets on Shabbat to prevent people from driving through.
Jewish Israeli stone-throwing - Wikipedia

I met a Christian woman at a guesthouse in Jerusalem who told me someone threw a pebble at her. She thought it was because she was showing too much bare skin.

An archaeology group was pelted with stones by the Haredi for excavating the tomb of Caiphas south of the Old City. Grave excavation is against their tradition.

One might have been afraid of what the neighbors might do if they were caught traveling on the Sabbath. After numerous trips to Israel and being harassed for driving or carrying my camera equipment on Shabbat, I stayed in my hotel room on Shabbat during my last trip there in 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christ did not strictly enforce the seventh day Sabbath, others did. In 2009 a group in Israel was throwing stones at cars being driven on the Sabbath. Most Jews in Israel do not drive on Sabbath. Some Orthodox neighborhoods barricaded their streets on Shabbat to prevent people from driving through.
Jewish Israeli stone-throwing - Wikipedia

I met a Christian woman at a guesthouse in Jerusalem who told me someone threw a pebble at her. She thought it was because she was showing too much bare skin.

An archaeology group was pelted with stones by the Haredi for excavating the tomb of Caiphas south of the Old City. Grave excavation is against their tradition.

One might have been afraid of what the neighbors might do if they were caught traveling on the Sabbath. After numerous trips to Israel and being harassed for driving or carrying my camera equipment on Shabbat, I stayed in my hotel room on Shabbat during my last trip there in 2016.

Christ never forced anyone to obey Him and never will. God gives us all free will and will never force us to love or obey Him and if so, we would have all been made robots and sin would have never occurred in the first place.

Jesus came as an example for how man should live and taught on His Fathers commandments and told us we should obey them often quoting directly from the Ten. Matthew 5:19-30, Matthew 15:3-9, Matthew 19:17-19 and Jesus kept the example of keeping the commandments including the Sabbath every Sabbath reading God’s Word in the Temple. Luke 4:16. He died and took the penalty of sin when we confess and turn from sin and walk with Him in obedience and grace.

The Pharisees added to the Sabbath and other laws and were making the laws more about control instead of love. This did not come from God and we should never have any type of force worship or obedience, God wants us to obey Him because of love Exodus 20:6, John 14:15, 1 John 5:3 and trust through faith what He asks of us is for our own good. Romans 3:31, Revelation 14:12.

There is no scripture stating we can break the commandments of God in the entire bible, but the saints (saved ones) keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus Revelation 14:12 through love and faith.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christ did not strictly enforce the seventh day Sabbath,
Sure, but this is out of context to the passage. We shouldn't use a passage like this to prop up our idea of what the sabbath is or is not. As I said, the account is goal driven, the details (like the sabbath/winter/birth pains etc...) are there to support the goal not there to support our idea of the sabbath, etc... whatever that may be. The point Jesus is making is not about keeping the sabbath or that winters are hard, or the judaeans are going to flee to the mountains the point he is making is that the events leading to his second coming will be of great peril. If the take away is that we should (or should not) keep the sabbath then the point is lost.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christ never forced anyone to obey Him and never will. God gives us all free will and will never force us to love or obey Him and if so, we would have all been made robots and sin would have never occurred in the first place.

Jesus came as an example for how man should live and taught on His Fathers commandments and told us we should obey them often quoting directly from the Ten. Matthew 5:19-30, Matthew 15:3-9, Matthew 19:17-19 and Jesus kept the example of keeping the commandments including the Sabbath every Sabbath reading God’s Word in the Temple. Luke 4:16. He died and took the penalty of sin when we confess and turn from sin and walk with Him in obedience and grace.

The Pharisees added to the Sabbath and other laws and were making the laws more about control instead of love. This did not come from God and we should never have any type of force worship or obedience, God wants us to obey Him because of love Exodus 20:6, John 14:15, 1 John 5:3 and trust through faith what He asks of us is for our own good. Romans 3:31, Revelation 14:12.

There is no scripture stating we can break the commandments of God in the entire bible, but the saints (saved ones) keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus Revelation 14:12 through love and faith.
The Sabbath was made for man. Jesus did whatever he wanted on the Sabbath.

Mark 2:23 He was going on the Sabbath day through the grain fields; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of grain. 24 The Pharisees said to him, “Behold, why do they do that which is not lawful on the Sabbath day?”

25 He said to them, “Did you never read what David did when he had need and was hungry—he, and those who were with him? 26 How he entered into God’s house at the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the show bread, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests, and gave also to those who were with him?”

27 He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

World English Bible
Public Domain

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word of the Lord from Paul to you all is:

Romans 14:5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.​

Again pay heed:

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.
Jesus' exhortation to pray that our flight not be on Sabbath was for all mankind until His return when He and the Heavenly Angels come to gather the elect. How do we know? Because Mathew 24:20 is grammatically connected contextually to verses 29-31 by the use of words which are considered to be connectors. These words connect what is about to be said to what was previously stated. That means Jesus' exhortation to pray that our flight not be on Sabbath was for all mankind until His return when He and the Heavenly Angels come to gather the elect.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath was made for man. Jesus did whatever he wanted on the Sabbath.

Mark 2:23 He was going on the Sabbath day through the grain fields; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of grain. 24 The Pharisees said to him, “Behold, why do they do that which is not lawful on the Sabbath day?”

25 He said to them, “Did you never read what David did when he had need and was hungry—he, and those who were with him? 26 How he entered into God’s house at the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the show bread, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests, and gave also to those who were with him?”

27 He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

World English Bible
Public Domain

Jesus came to do the will of His Father John 6:38 and kept His Fathers commandments including the Sabbath as our example to follow. John 15:10, 1 Peter 2:21-22, 1 John 2:6.

I hope you are not insinuating Jesus sinned and broke the Sabbath, this was the accusation of the Pharisees not what actually happened.

The Sabbath is made for man and man was created on sixth day of creation Genesis 1:26 before the first Sabbath Genesis 2:1-3 and man spent the first Sabbath in the presence of God, the way God intended Sabbaths to be before sin. The Sabbath is God’s holy day according to God Exodus 20:10. Isaiah 58:13 and God commands us to keep holy the seventh day Sabbath Exodus 20:8-11 as we are made in His image and to follow Him.

When Jesus Comes there will be no more sin, we will once again spend the Sabbaths worshipping the Lord in His presence for eternity Isaiah 66:23, just like at Creation. If one does not want to spend God’s holy day in communion with Him now, doing His ways on His holy day Isaiah 58:13 what makes them think they will all of a sudden want to in heaven? God’s will for us is the same in heaven as it is on this earth.Matthew 6:9-13

Jesus is lord of the Sabbath because the Sabbath is the holy day of the Lord thy God, meaning it is the Lord’s holy day and the only day God claimed in scripture. All other days are working days according to God. Exodus 20:9

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Greek word for winter there simply means inclement weather. Here is an excerpt from the Lexicon in the Strong's Concordance.

G5494 χειμών cheimon (chei-mōn') n.
by implication, the rainy season, i.e. winter.
[from a derivative of cheo “to pour” (akin to the base of G5490 through the idea of a channel), meaning a storm (as pouring rain)]
KJV: tempest, foul weather, winter

Jesus' exhortation to pray that our flight not be on Sabbath was for all mankind until His return when He and the Heavenly Angels come to gather the elect. How do we know? Because Mathew 24:20 is grammatically connected contextually to verses 29-31 by the use of words which are considered to be connectors. These words connect what is about to be said to what was previously stated. THIS FACT CAN'T BE ARGUED INTELLIGENTLY.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure, but this is out of context to the passage. We shouldn't use a passage like this to prop up our idea of what the sabbath is or is not. As I said, the account is goal driven, the details (like the sabbath/winter/birth pains etc...) are there to support the goal not there to support our idea of the sabbath, etc... whatever that may be. The point Jesus is making is not about keeping the sabbath or that winters are hard, or the judaeans are going to flee to the mountains the point he is making is that the events leading to his second coming will be of great peril. If the take away is that we should (or should not) keep the sabbath then the point is lost.
Luke 21:20 (KJV) And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Some rest on Saturday, some rest on Sunday. When Jerusalem was being surrounded by an army, the residents were supposed to flee for their lives, not turning back for their possessions. The Roman army laid siege to Jerusalem in 70 AD. They began about the time of Passover to entrap Jewish pilgrims in town for the festival. The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus recorded an account of this military campaign. General Titus cut off their supply routes, starved the Jews, then destroyed their city using catapults, siege ramps and rams. The Jewish Christians who saw the army approaching had a brief chance to flee. By one account they fled to the mountains around Pella in Jordan. This Roman campaign was the destruction of Jerusalem, not the end of the world. Jewish survivors were forced to work as slaves.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Greek word for winter there simply means inclement weather. Here is an excerpt from the Lexicon in the Strong's Concordance.

G5494 χειμών cheimon (chei-mōn') n.
by implication, the rainy season, i.e. winter.
[from a derivative of cheo “to pour” (akin to the base of G5490 through the idea of a channel), meaning a storm (as pouring rain)]
KJV: tempest, foul weather, winter

Jesus' exhortation to pray that our flight not be on Sabbath was for all mankind until His return when He and the Heavenly Angels come to gather the elect. How do we know? Because Mathew 24:20 is grammatically connected contextually to verses 29-31 by the use of words which are considered to be connectors. These words connect what is about to be said to what was previously stated. THIS FACT CAN'T BE ARGUED INTELLIGENTLY.
What should be indisputed is that the account is not about the sabbath and so we should not use the account to support our ideas regarding the sabbath. The account details the events leading up to Christ's second coming. "winter" is a moot point. It may mean storm, rainy season, winter, or a metaphor for "hard times" etc... what it means literally is not the point of the text, and to attempt to explain it away in conflict with every translation out there is just unfounded speculation.

But the point isn't winter, the sabbath, pregnant women or fleeing to mountains so you're grasping at straws here. If you wanted to get super literal the context is the Judaeans fleeing to the mountains, it's those guys who need to pray it's not the sabbath or winter but that would just be silly to take it to those levels. The point is its going to be hard times (so you better hope the sun is shinning) which are signs of Christ's return. The point is not how we keep the sabbath (and shame on you for turning it into the point)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 21:20 (KJV) And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Some rest on Saturday, some rest on Sunday. When Jerusalem was being surrounded by an army, the residents were supposed to flee for their lives, not turning back for their possessions. The Roman army laid siege to Jerusalem in 70 AD. They began about the time of Passover to entrap Jewish pilgrims in town for the festival. The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus recorded an account of this military campaign. General Titus cut off their supply routes, starved the Jews, then destroyed their city using catapults, siege ramps and rams. The Jewish Christians who saw the army approaching had a brief chance to flee. By one account they fled to the mountains around Pella in Jordan. This Roman campaign was the destruction of Jerusalem, not the end of the world. Jewish survivors were forced to work as slaves.
Sure, Mat 24 is still not about the sabbath or how we should keep it.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What should be indisputed is that the account is not about the sabbath and so we should not use the account to support our ideas regarding the sabbath. The account details the events leading up to Christ's second coming. "winter" is a moot point. It may mean storm, rainy season, winter, or a metaphor for "hard times" etc... what it means literally is not the point of the text, and to attempt to explain it away in conflict with every translation out there is just unfounded speculation.

But the point isn't winter, the sabbath, pregnant women or fleeing to mountains so you're grasping at straws here. If you wanted to get super literal the context is the Judaeans fleeing to the mountains, it's those guys who need to pray it's not the sabbath or winter but that would just be silly to take it to those levels. The point is its going to be hard times (so you better hope the sun is shinning) which are signs of Christ's return. The point is not how we keep the sabbath (and shame on you for turning it into the point)
No it is not. If it were pointless Jesus would have not said for us to pray that our flight prior to the tribulation before His second coming and when the elect are gathered not be on Sabbath. The simple fact is, that at the end of the world Jesus expected His followers to be still observing the Sabbath or He would not have said it.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, Mat 24 is still not about the sabbath or how we should keep it.
No it is about the tribulations we are and have experienced as a church waiting for His return. And in prophesying these events He exhorts us to to pray that our flight from these not be on Sabbath.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No it is not. If it were pointless Jesus would have not said for us to pray that our flight prior to the tribulation before His second coming and when the elect are gathered not be on Sabbath. The simple fact is, that at the end of the world Jesus expected His followers to be still observing the Sabbath or He would not have said it.
Amen.

The saints keep the commandments of God until the very end of time. Revelation 14:12, Revelation 22:14 and the Sabbath is one of the commandments of God, written personally by our Creator. We should be so blessed to have such clear instructions from our Creator who yearns for us to obey because we love Him so much.

God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a conclusion the text does not support. What the "point" is, is not the sabbath, the sabbath is a detail that supports the goal, and the goal is the point not the rungs on the ladder that get you there. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating keeping or not keeping the sabbath, I'm just saying this text has nothing to do with it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No it is about the tribulations we are and have experienced as a church waiting for His return. And in prophesying these events He exhorts us to to pray that our flight from these not be on Sabbath.
Our flight up the hills of Judea you mean? So which part is a metaphor and which part is literal? Are you suggesting during these times we need to get to jerusalem so we may take this flight up the mountains and pray it's not the sabbath or winter? You are missing the point and focused on the wrong parts. It's not about the flight or which day/season it occurs on.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' exhortation to pray that our flight not be on Sabbath was for all mankind until His return when He and the Heavenly Angels come to gather the elect. How do we know? Because Mathew 24:20 is grammatically connected contextually to verses 29-31 by the use of words which are considered to be connectors. These words connect what is about to be said to what was previously stated. That means Jesus' exhortation to pray that our flight not be on Sabbath was for all mankind until His return when He and the Heavenly Angels come to gather the elect.
Jesus is not talking about a connecting flight.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One should happily expect to lose their argument when arguing against scripture. Many are slow to recognize that victory or loss.!Interesting observations. But for the point at hand, All that matters is what the first century Jews understood the “Law of Moses” to be. If they viewed the “Law of Moses” as including the 10 commandments, which I assert, then the Gentile believers are not obligated to keep the Sabbath per Acts 15:23-29. Again read the Gospels!

If you are interested in truth, as opposed to pushing religious doctrine, I suggest you concentrate on the Rabbinical interpretation of this article as the Christian interpretation had not formed at that time of the Jerusalem Decree (~48 AD) : Law of Moses - Wikipedia

Mosaic Law History & Overview | What is the Law of Moses? - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

All that matters is what the first century Jews understood the “Law of Moses” to be.

no ... what matters is what His Word says .... the Jews were 1-rebellious and 2-did not have full understanding of the scriptures

Isaiah 56:6

New King James Version
“Also the sons of the foreigner Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants— Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And holds fast My covenant—

Upvote 0