• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

It's happening again

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every night when it becomes dark, my psychological (and perhaps real ) demons begin to oppress me. Just a few hours ago, I was relatively fine, now I am sinking into depression and anxiety.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes/no. I went through a period of time when I did. It was my own fault really, I allowed myself to get too far way from my faith and was working too hard. Demons seem to like to take advantage, and I was not the only one. I was hit by this at the same time the world was hit by Covid. A friend of mine reported similar things and lost his business. From my perspective it was like the world got hit with a wave of oppression, including myself.

It was a long crawl up out of that low spot, but I was able to find the spiritual help I needed. God was faithful.

Upvote 0

Northern Star

Child of God
Nov 19, 2016
USA
✟96,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry you're struggling. Sometimes I seem to have the same problem, mental health declining when it gets dark out. I've heard this before, so it's probably not too uncommon.

Can you try to distract yourself somehow from these negative feelings? Singing, drawing, watching tv or movies, etc... anything to help get your mind off the depression and anxiety. Try to not get bogged down in those bad feelings.

I pray you have healing from your mental illnesses. Try saying a prayer and then distracting yourself the best you can.

Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Every night when it becomes dark, my psychological (and perhaps real ) demons begin to oppress me. Just a few hours ago, I was relatively fine, now I am sinking into depression and anxiety.

Without sounding like a Pentecostal (not that there is anything wrong with that :) ), Cast them out in the name of Jesus...out loud. You might have to do it a few times, and you'll feel like a fool. But it works. They usually get me at the piano, then I start having coughing fits. I pray loudly in the name of Jesus...then no problems.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I do.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
A few more hrs then the sun will be up.
I was able to sleep for a few hrs. Exhaustion hit me. I'm glad because some nights I can be so tired to the point of sickness but not able to fall asleep.
When I do fall asleep though I wake up feeling like I was just in a fight.
But I survive. Prayers for all who struggle with anxiety.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,814.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God bless you. It can be debilitating, i know.

Anxiety and depression sufferer here for approx 18 years.

Get good days and bad days.

Suffer with insomnia too.

Life is not good and hasnt been for a long time. I can understand how you are feeling

I just offer it all up to God, daily. I love God, so so much. I would die for Him. I want Him to help me but, let His will be done unto me. He knows best.

Keep turning to God. Stay close to Him.

I pray that God will wrap His loving arms around you.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private

I made it!

Thank you God for bringing me through the night and thank you for the sunlight and this day. Please guard everyone who struggles with demons and anxiety. Make them warriors. In your name, Amen.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hate the dark and really get depressed at night, too. If this happens again, try listening to some peaceful music or nature sounds. It worked for King Saul when he was being oppressed by a troubling spirit, after all, and I found it helps me. Also, upbeat videos online, maybe an emotionally bolstering sermon... these really help as well.

Without sounding like a Pentecostal (not that there is anything wrong with that :) ), Cast them out in the name of Jesus...out loud. You might have to do it a few times, and you'll feel like a fool. But it works. They usually get me at the piano, then I start having coughing fits. I pray loudly in the name of Jesus...then no problems.

Very good advice. Merely the act of putting faith in God has often helped give me peace. And sometimes, it has unexpected effects. I have panic attacks when the power goes out, and often I get very angry at God for letting such things happen to me when He knows how much it hurts me. But I've found that, once I put Him in control and find peace with Him, not only is it more bearable, often the power comes on shortly afterwards; once the outage only lasted about thirty seconds. Thanks God for his mercy to me and my fears.

Upvote 0