Is This a Joke? WashPost Writer Claims Republicans Have a Problem Accepting Election Results

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Wait a minute... let me guess. Clinton and FDR round out the top 5?
Nah ... as much as I personally dislike Bill Clinton the economy did well while he was president.

Of course, his actions ushered in the 9-11 WTC attack and he also gave us Hillary and Al Gore, so there's that to consider ...

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nah ... as much as I personally dislike Bill Clinton the economy did well while he was president.
Is that all it takes to be a “good president”? I mean a strong economy is certainly a good thing but character has to count for something in a leader too, right?

Of course, his actions ushered in the 9-11 WTC attack and he also gave us Hillary and Al Gore, so there's that to consider ...
We’ll see what parting gifts Trump leaves us with when he’s out of office.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Nobody is going to take you seriously if you think the Sanders or Warren (to ignore the others for a second) are gong to nationalize private industry generally. You just look silly when say that.

While you are correct that it's an absurd claim, but there are clearly members of these forums who will not only "take him seriously", but adamantly claim this to be a fact, despite that it's obviously false.

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That does not appear to correspond with reality, from what I can see -- particularly when the first World Trade Center bombing occurred in Feb, 1993, only about a month after Clinton took office. I could say it likely was from actions of Reagan (arming Iraq to fight Iran) and Bush (the First Gulf War), though that seems overly simplistic and was based on several different US actions in the Middle East over the previous 50 years, or so.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That does not appear to correspond with reality, from what I can see -- particularly when the first World Trade Center bombing occurred in Feb, 1993, only about a month after Clinton took office. I could say it likely was from actions of Reagan (arming Iraq to fight Iran) and Bush (the First Gulf War), though that seems overly simplistic and was based on several different US actions in the Middle East over the previous 50 years, or so.
I wasn't saying that Clinton caused the problems in the middle east.

Clinton clearly didn't solve the problem of the terrorists wanting to take down the WTC though ... and Clinton clearly had warning early in his presidency, as you noted already.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Clinton clearly didn't solve the problem of the terrorists wanting to take down the WTC though ... and Clinton clearly had warning early in his presidency, as you noted already.

Just as Reagan and (either) Bush didn't, either.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We're not blaming Reagan for terrorism -- we're just noting that he didn't solve it.
Noting that Al Qaeda was formed in 1988 in response to the Soviet-Afghan war, Reagan's last year in office. Al Qaeda didn't even focus on the US until some years later.

Al-Qaeda - Wikipedia
Al-Qaeda (/ælˈkaɪdə, ˌælkɑːˈiːdə/; Arabic: القاعدة‎ al-Qāʿidah, IPA: [ælqɑːʕɪdɐ], translation: "The Base", "The Foundation" or "The Database", alternatively spelled al-Qaida and al-Qa'ida) is a militant Sunni Islamist multi-national organization founded in 1988 by Osama bin Laden, Abdullah Azzam, and several other Arab volunteers during the Soviet–Afghan War.
Following the Soviet Union's withdrawal from Afghanistan in February 1989, bin Laden returned to Saudi Arabia. The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in August 1990 had put the Kingdom and its ruling House of Saud at risk. The world's most valuable oil fields were within striking distance of Iraqi forces in Kuwait, and Saddam's call to pan-Arab/Islamism could potentially rally internal dissent.

In the face of a seemingly massive Iraqi military presence, Saudi Arabia's own forces were outnumbered. Bin Laden offered the services of his mujahideen to King Fahd to protect Saudi Arabia from the Iraqi army. The Saudi monarch refused bin Laden's offer, opting instead to allow US and allied forces to deploy troops into Saudi territory.

The deployment angered bin Laden, as he believed the presence of foreign troops in the "land of the two mosques" (Mecca and Medina) profaned sacred soil. After speaking publicly against the Saudi government for harboring American troops, he was banished and forced to live in exile in Sudan
.​

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We're blaming Reagan forAlQaeda now?

Nope, just that he didn't solve the issues, either.

Noting that Al Qaeda was formed in 1988 in response to the Soviet-Afghan war, Reagan's last year in office. Al Qaeda didn't even focus on the US until some years later.

Al-Qaeda - Wikipedia
Al-Qaeda (/ælˈkaɪdə, ˌælkɑːˈiːdə/; Arabic: القاعدة‎ al-Qāʿidah, IPA: [ælqɑːʕɪdɐ], translation: "The Base", "The Foundation" or "The Database", alternatively spelled al-Qaida and al-Qa'ida) is a militant Sunni Islamist multi-national organization founded in 1988 by Osama bin Laden, Abdullah Azzam, and several other Arab volunteers during the Soviet–Afghan War.
Following the Soviet Union's withdrawal from Afghanistan in February 1989, bin Laden returned to Saudi Arabia. The Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in August 1990 had put the Kingdom and its ruling House of Saud at risk. The world's most valuable oil fields were within striking distance of Iraqi forces in Kuwait, and Saddam's call to pan-Arab/Islamism could potentially rally internal dissent.

In the face of a seemingly massive Iraqi military presence, Saudi Arabia's own forces were outnumbered. Bin Laden offered the services of his mujahideen to King Fahd to protect Saudi Arabia from the Iraqi army. The Saudi monarch refused bin Laden's offer, opting instead to allow US and allied forces to deploy troops into Saudi territory.

The deployment angered bin Laden, as he believed the presence of foreign troops in the "land of the two mosques" (Mecca and Medina) profaned sacred soil. After speaking publicly against the Saudi government for harboring American troops, he was banished and forced to live in exile in Sudan
.​

You're blaming Reagan for the formation of Al-Qaeda, since they formed in 1988? Or blaming Bush, since he is the one that deployed the troops in Saudi Arabia, that angered bin Laden?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Actually this is the real "crime" of Bill Clinton:

His impeachment troubles caused him to back off our pursuit of AQ, for fear of "wagging the dog" accusations.

Its possible that 9-11 was the price we paid for his oval office affair. Could it get any worse?

Otoh, I might be overestimating our capacity, international-politically, to disrupt AQ at that time

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually this is the real "crime" of Bill Clinton:

His impeachment troubles caused him to back off our pursuit of AQ, for fear of "wagging the dog" accusations.

Its possible that 9-11 was the price we paid for his oval office affair. Could it get any worse?

Otoh, I might be overestimating our capacity, international-politically, to disrupt AQ at that time

Is it the "real crime" of Clinton, or of the Republicans in Congress for feeling the need to try and impeach Clinton -- particularly when they knew the people of the US were against it (especially after the election, which occurred just a couple of months before the impeachment).

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is it the "real crime" of Clinton, or of the Republicans in Congress for feeling the need to try and impeach Clinton -- particularly when they knew the people of the US were against it (especially after the election, which occurred just a couple of months before the impeachment).
Yeah I dont let R's off the hook for their pointless impeachment. But Clinton really handed them the excuse on a plate. He should have known better. (And thats besides the ethics of the sexual relation with a subordinate intern.)

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I dont let R's off the hook for their pointless impeachment. But Clinton really handed them the excuse on a plate.
Bill Clinton did actually commit the exact crime for which General Flynn was sentenced to jail for.

Jus sayin ...

... or perhaps you feel that General Flynn should not have been sentenced?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Bill Clinton did actually commit the exact crime for which General Flynn was sentenced to jail for.

Jus sayin ...

... or perhaps you feel that General Flynn should not have been sentenced?
Oh the Flynn affair was way worse, with the security of the country vis-a-vis a committed rival nation at stake.

I would not object at all if Clinton saw some jail time tho.

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
From the "Blinding projection", files: Is This a Joke? WashPost Writer Claims Republicans Have a Problem Accepting Election Results

The pompous “Democracy Dies in Darkness” paper published an opinion piece Nov. 7 that was so opposed to reality, you had to wonder if it was a joke. The article entitled, “Can Republicans relearn how to accept political outcomes they don’t like?” wasn’t a joke, even though it would’ve fit in perfectly as a satire piece for The Babylon Bee.
Hillary Clinton and her media cronies have been calling her the real winner of the 2016 election for three years now. Not to mention delusional Democrats “Governor” Stacey Abrams and Andrew Gillum, who both lost their respective gubernatorial races in 2018
Perhaps it’s also a reference to President Trump forming a team to investigate voter fraud in an election that he won.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He wasn't that great of a candidate and (the GOP should have recognized this and ran someone else) it was an off year election where his opponent had the advantage of "family recognition". But in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter Beshears won't be able to get much if any of his legislation passed anyway.
But he will be able to prevent the gerrymandering that Republicans have done with surgical precision to disenfranchise minorities and Democrats after the 2020 Census....Kentucky won't be anywhere near as "red" when the playing field is leveled.

Upvote 0