Is the fundamental gap between creationists and non-creationists...

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Interesting that I'll acknowledge the Passover and some Feast of Ishtar, but you can't acknowledge Easter.

That's too bad, but it shows how academia will not compromise with the Bible, despite wanting Christians to compromise with them.

I'm not sure what I'm not acknowledging. I think some of the disconnect is your English-only hobbyhorse.

In the original Greek it's pascha/πάσχα, i.e. Passover.

I have no problem acknowledging that the KJV (and modern English speakers) say "Easter", because in the meantime (as Bede explained), the English people replaced the name of the Paschal time with Easter, from the pagan Eostermonath, "calling the joys of the new rite by the time honored name of the old observance".

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally offensive posts are not helpful. If you cannot address the point being made you're better off saying nothing.
I'm still trying to understand why you find eternity scary. You really haven't made that point that I've seen.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure what I'm not acknowledging. I think some of the disconnect is your English-only hobbyhorse.

In the original Greek it's pascha/πάσχα, i.e. Passover.

I have no problem acknowledging that the KJV (and modern English speakers) say "Easter", because in the meantime (as Bede explained), the English people replaced the name of the Paschal time with Easter, from the pagan Eostermonath, "calling the joys of the new rite by the time honored name of the old observance".
Good for the English people.

Luke ... a Greek ... wrote the book of Acts to a Roman named Theophilus.

And when Luke wrote Acts 12:4, do you really expect me to believe he had the Passover or some pagan feast in mind?

That would be an affront to those Christians celebrating the day of Christ's resurrection from the dead.

The Passover commemorates the Exodus ... not Christ's resurrection.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm still trying to understand why you find eternity scary. You really haven't made that point that I've seen.
The point was made that the lack of a change of state, (ie: 'endless/eternal' anything), means that there is no other state to compare it with .. therefore 'joy' ceases to hold any distinct meaning.
An existence where there are no other emotions to contrast this with, is like being deprived of all personal freedoms of choice (because there is no other state to choose from) .. aka: 'horrific'.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
And when Luke wrote Acts 12:4, do you really expect me to believe he had the Passover or some pagan feast in mind?

He certainly didn't have Eostre in mind. But given the context -- talking about when Herod was going to time a criminal procedure -- saying Passover makes sense as that would have been a notable time in that time and place. You don't have to be Christian to say, "The insurrection at the Capitol happened a few weeks after Christmas".

That would be an affront to those Christians celebrating the day of Christ's resurrection from the dead.

The verse is not about a celebration, but marking when something happened.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He certainly didn't have Eostre in mind. But given the context -- talking about when Herod was going to time a criminal procedure -- saying Passover makes sense as that would have been a notable time in that time and place.
So what are you saying it should say?

"Passover"?

The word "Passover" occurs some fifty times in the New Testament.

So why did God, who superintended the translation of the King James Bible, have them write "Easter"?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So what are you saying it should say?

"Passover"?

I think that would be the better, and obviously more consistent, translation. But it hardly matters.

So why did God, who superintended the translation of the King James Bible, have them write "Easter"?

He wanted to imply that Herod was a Christian? He was on vacation that day? The new guy on the team wrote it, and He felt bad about pointing out a trivial error and held his tongue?

Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He wanted to imply that Herod was a Christian? He was on vacation that day? The new guy on the team wrote it, and He felt bad about pointing out a trivial error and held his tongue?
Bible says it, that settles it.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why don't you try imagining eternity with no variety, no purpose, no end in sight. Then be honest with yourself - does that sound like fun? You would be horrified by the thought of even a few years in such a state. Eternity? That's not a pleasant thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Humans wrote it. Post hoc naming does not indicate the original meaning. The word pascha is translated "passover" in every other instance. Easter was not a celebration when Luke wrote Acts, but it was when humans translated to KJV.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

That's not an answer to your question.

So why did God, who superintended the translation of the King James Bible, have them write that Herod intended to do something after "Easter"?

Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So why did God, who superintended the translation of the King James Bible, have them write that Herod intended to do something after "Easter"?
You mean like here?

Acts 12:1 Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church.
2 And he killed James the brother of John with the sword.
3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. ( Then were the days of unleavened bread. )
4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why don't you try imagining eternity with no variety, no purpose, no end in sight. Then be honest with yourself - does that sound like fun? You would be horrified by the thought of even a few years in such a state. Eternity? That's not a pleasant thought.
That's not at all how heaven is described. Maybe hell is like that. We are told of beauty and purpose, reigning forever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The real Jesus who lived on the Earth and died for us and was raised again from death--not just a character in a storybook whose existence we are forced to acknowledge because the storybook is supposed to have magical properties. I believe in Jesus, not the Bible.

The scriptures are his word to us. So that we may know him.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That's not at all how heaven is described. Maybe hell is like that. We are told of beauty and purpose, reigning forever.
Where does the bible say there is a purpose in the afterlife?

What it says is that everything, including us, will be different. We will have restricted feelings, eg no negative emotions, only positive ones (though how it's possible to have a comparative without a comparable is beyond me). So if God's going to change you, it's not really you gaining eternal life and all bets are off.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
There was a Herodian dynasty which lasted until 44CE IIRC. The Herod in this passage is the great grandson of the Herod from Jesus' birth story.

I'm not concerned with an anachronism. AV seems to be strongly asserting (and who would deny it?) that 'Easter' is a particularly Christian thing, and not at all a Jewish thing (i.e. Passover).

And that God himself ensured that the word "Easter" was correctly placed into this passage, uniquely among the translations of pascha.

The passage says that Herod intended to do something after Easter.

Why would Herod set his timetable by a Christian holiday?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not concerned with an anachronism. AV seems to be strongly asserting (and who would deny it?) that 'Easter' is a particularly Christian thing, and not at all a Jewish thing (i.e. Passover).

And that God himself ensured that the word "Easter" was correctly placed into this passage, uniquely among the translations of pascha.

The passage says that Herod intended to do something after Easter.

Why would Herod set his timetable by a Christian holiday?
Ah, I thought you were questioning who the person was, not that person's motivation.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. AV seems unable to grasp that Christianity did not exist when most of the bible was written but grew over of a number of centuries.

Upvote 0