Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
At heart I'm a reformed Presbyterian, historically they have refused to celebrate holy days that are not commanded in scripture. The main two are Xmas and Easter but there are hundreds of Papal saints days and other celebrations (good friday, pentecost etc) that should also be excluded. Xmas and Easter are not only not commanded in scripture but they are also historic pagan days that the papacy tried to Christianize. This ties into the Halloween issue and its pagan origins as a secondary reason not to celebrate those days.
Why does something have to be 'commanded in Scripture' to be valid as a method of worship? However, there is some evidence with Scriptural backing, why Christmas is Dec 25, and evidence of when the Resurrection happened, too. And, if the Catholic Church 'tried' to Christianize something, that blessed that something. Do you remember, in Acts 14 where some wanted to make Gentiles become Jews before they became Christian? They wanted to circumcize them. For no real good reason, I might add. But those Gentiles were...pagan. And they were allowed to keep a lot of their former ways while still becoming Christian. By the way, did you know pagans lit...candles? Do you light candles? If so, does that make you pagan???

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nah, no resson for a Christian to celebrate our Lord's Advent, or even His Resurrection. Just because those are the two most important events in the history of the universe is no reason to get excited about them. Pagans used to do things, and so we must not do things. In fact, we shoukd studiously ignore those events, and act as though they'd never happened because... pagans.

am worried now..... What if the toothbrush I use to clean my teeth was a invented by a pagan? What about my shoes??.what about the day of the weeks, aren't they all named after pagan deities? Wedding rings are pagan yet Christians wear them. The only religions that ban them are fringe ones like the Amish or the Holiness churches in Africa. But Gospel believing Christians wear them?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why does something have to be 'commanded in Scripture' to be valid as a method of worship? However, there is some evidence with Scriptural backing, why Christmas is Dec 25, and evidence of when the Resurrection happened, too. And, if the Catholic Church 'tried' to Christianize something, that blessed that something. Do you remember, in Acts 14 where some wanted to make Gentiles become Jews before they became Christian? They wanted to circumcize them. For no real good reason, I might add. But those Gentiles were...pagan. And they were allowed to keep a lot of their former ways while still becoming Christian. By the way, did you know pagans lit...candles? Do you light candles? If so, does that make you pagan???
When we're talking about worship don't you think it's a good idea to look to scripture to see what Godtells us to do? The story of Nadab and Abihu makes it clear what God thinks about people who do not worship him as he commands.

As for Acts 14, it is clear from scripture that circumcision was abrogated by God and replaced by baptism. As such it was unnecessary to become a Jew in order to be a Christian. Likewise the sacrifices of the Old Testament were done away with by the ultimate sacrifice of scripture. This doesn't mean worship is now a free for all where we all do what we feel like doing and expect God to simply accept it as though he must.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
Let me guess - High Priests, right?

How much is 1000x0? Their "curses" are as phony as the rest of their slleged religion.

Right. But given that satanism itself is a joke that isn't surprising. But just from curiousity, why would giving kids candy facilitate "making a hex"? Is Satan especially keen on giving young'uns a sugar rush?

I expect they actually do take drugs.

"Let me guess - High Priests, right?"
No, from what I know it is a family type of system at low levels.

"How much is 1000x0? Their "curses" are as phony as the rest of their slleged religion."
We have a supernatural faith. I see no point doubting there are demonic strongholds among the heathen.

"Right. But given that satanism itself is a joke that isn't surprising. But just from curiousity, why would giving kids candy facilitate "making a hex"? Is Satan especially keen on giving young'uns a sugar rush?"
You will be amaze how many people are witches unironically and how fortunate we are to be protected by the holy ghost.

" I expect they actually do take drugs."
If your desire is to scoff, then go ahead. Let the people be hunted by them, instead of praying.

To be honest, most of the things you are saying can be debunk reading the book of Acts. Demonic spirits are real, and witches use them as familiar spirits.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To those of y’all who don’t like pagan things . You do realize that the days of the week in English were named after the Norse gods . It doesn’t take a genius to figure out which Norse god Thursday was named after unlike for Wednesday, which was named for Woden (Wotan or Odin) . That’s why the D is there !

Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you think the "witchcraft" mentioned in the Bible deals with ugly women with pointed hats flying on brooms and turning people into newts, then you've missed the point altogether.

We don't share them, they're God's, and thus ours. The pagans are all dead, and their "gods" never existed. They don't own anything, why act as though they do?
Church nonsense.

People of the Most High God, listen to me! You continue to rally around these religious leaders who only want to get in your purse, and then do their best to get Yahweh, your heavenly Father so angry at you, His people, that He has no choice but to deliver His judgement on you. Yes, the false leader will indeed be held accountable for their deceptions. But make no mistake, so will you. Why you ask? Because you have the Scriptures to teach you Truth.

Christmas. A church holiday, and pagan.

Easter, a church holiday, and pagan.

Holloween, a new church holiday, and yep, you guessed it, pagan.

The gods that oppose the Most High did exist, and do exist. The biggest deception of the evil one is to convince us that he doesn't exist. And the best friend of the evil one, the corrupt church system, also wants you to believe that evil angels, called gods, never existed. And that the evil one has horns, a red suit, and a pitchfork. Or maybe that is santa clause.

These hirelings pretend to desire to look after you as a shepherd. But all they are really doing is eating the choice meat from the table of your children, while you go hungry. And when the day of dread comes, they will be found cowering in fear. And what they will really fear, is the coming great Day of the Lord. And they will be ashamed. But God will still be holding you accountable, because you could have read the Truth.

It's there, in black and white. Written for a 5th grader to read and understand. When you stumble in reading it, then stop. And talk to the Author.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Let me guess - High Priests, right?"
No, from what I know it is a family type of system at low levels.

"How much is 1000x0? Their "curses" are as phony as the rest of their slleged religion."
We have a supernatural faith. I see no point doubting there are demonic strongholds among the heathen.

"Right. But given that satanism itself is a joke that isn't surprising. But just from curiousity, why would giving kids candy facilitate "making a hex"? Is Satan especially keen on giving young'uns a sugar rush?"
You will be amaze how many people are witches unironically and how fortunate we are to be protected by the holy ghost.

" I expect they actually do take drugs."
If your desire is to scoff, then go ahead. Let the people be hunted by them, instead of praying.

To be honest, most of the things you are saying can be debunk reading the book of Acts. Demonic spirits are real, and witches use them as familiar

Although Christians cannot be witches, we should avoid the appearance of evil by seeming to approve of witchcraft by celebrating a witches holiday. That is just my 2 cents. No, we don't become witches by celebrating halloween, but it seems to the world like we are endorsing what witches do. so best to stay away from it

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry that was meAnt to say that although Christians cannot be witches as we will not intentionally or deliberately use witchcraft, the risk of celebrating halloween is that we are not avoiding the appearance of evil. We should avoid the appearance of evil. We are redeemed children of light, not darkness. What do we have in common with wickedness? NOthing!

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Somehow I don't see how celebrating the coming of our Lord and His glorious Resurrection are remotely pagan. But if you find that your church has you worshiping rabbits or praying to Santa Claus, better find another one post haste.

No worries, I don't do the Easter eggs and Santa Claus stuff. I don't have a tree anymore. I took the pagan bits out

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nah, no resson for a Christian to celebrate our Lord's Advent, or even His Resurrection. Just because those are the two most important events in the history of the universe is no reason to get excited about them. Pagans used to do things, and so we must not do things. In fact, we shoukd studiously ignore those events, and act as though they'd never happened because... pagans.

That was exactly the point I was making. You can still celebrate easter and Christmas and avoid the pagan Christmas tree Santa bunny etc rubbish. The difference with Halloween is there is nothing good about why it is celebrated.

Having said that, what you do is between you and God. I am here to share opinions but your walk with God isn't our walk, my walk with God is mine. I do know some Christians who refuse to celebrate any holiday with pagan origins and that's ok for them to do. It isn't my place to judge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My oldest loved Halloween because he’d always wanted to be something weird so I had to make his costume. And I was usually broke . One year he wanted to be a sparkler firework. That was fun! It Was made from a plastic dry cleaning bag cut in strips . white construction paper strips , aluminum foil cut in strips and silver glitter. Every time he moved the plastic strips would flutter and bounce the light off the other strips which all has glitter on them . I made a sort of vest out of paper so that he could wear it and a Paper crown made the same way. I made sure he got his full evil on (/sarcasm )

• Winner
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My oldest loved Halloween because he’d always wanted to be something weird so I had to make his costume. And I was usually broke . One year he wanted to be a sparkler firework. That was fun! It Was made from a plastic dry cleaning bag cut in strips . white construction paper strips , aluminum foil cut in strips and silver glitter. Every time he moved the plastic strips would flutter and bounce the light off the other strips which all has glitter on them . I made a sort of vest out of paper so that he could wear it and a Paper crown made the same way. I made sure he got his full evil on (/sarcasm )

A sparkler costume does sound pretty awesome

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well let me ask you, would you invite Jesus<the Holy Sinless Messiah to watch that stuff with you?

What is the purpose of watching that stuff? What goes into your heart and mind affects you.

I'm in total agreement with you nolidad.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is also All Hallow's Eve, a Christian holiday.

But I don't see the kids collecting candy in my neighborhood doing anything evil.

As I have said multiple times, I generally don't watch horror films. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies, but you are certainly free to avoid them.

From the BBC:

All Hallows' Eve
All Hallows' Eve falls on 31st October each year, and is the day before All Hallows' Day, also known as All Saints' Day in the Christian calendar. The Church traditionally held a vigil on All Hallows' Eve when worshippers would prepare themselves with prayers and fasting prior to the feast day itself.

The name derives from the Old English 'hallowed' meaning holy or sanctified and is now usually contracted to the more familiar word Hallowe'en.

A brief history of the festival
In the early 7th century Pope Boniface IV consecrated the Pantheon in Rome, formerly a temple to all the gods, as a church dedicated to Saint Mary and the Martyrs, and ordered that that date, 13th May, should be celebrated every year.

It became All Saints' Day, a day to honour all the saints, and later, at the behest of Pope Urban IV (d. 1264), a day specially to honour those saints who didn't have a festival day of their own.

In the 8th century, on 1st November, Pope Gregory III dedicated a chapel to all the saints in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. Gregory IV then made the festival universal throughout the Church, and 1st November has subsequently become All Saints' Day for the western Church.

The Orthodox Church celebrates All Saints' Day on the first Sunday after Passover - a date closer to the original 13th May

So it is a holy day after the high feast of dark magic! Nov 1. Is all saints day! It is also something that took 6 centuries to develop long after the external church had been going pagan and right around the onset of the dark ages.

This was the ongoing practise of trying to "Christianize" pagan practices, places and events in order to try to smooth the forced conversions of pagans to Christianity.

Nor do I see anything evil with the hordes of kids getting candy from us (we get around 300 a year)

As I said the Harry Potter and even the Star wars (the force is very HIndu) are well written and well produced and very entertaining series! No doubt. But what is being honored? They are not Christian so I don't expect them to honor Jesus, they were created by unsaved for the unsaved to entertain them. What we as Christians need to do is to insure we do not allow our kids to be ensnared by the messages that are being touted in things like this.

Star Wars- the all encompassing force, Harry Potter- that magic can be good and wholseome as well as evil.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the devil has power IF we give it to him. Fear would be a way to do this....so I won't let anyone at and in way of my usual plans

No the devil is the 4th most powerful being in the universe! The most powerful created being.

He only has authority over usIF we let him, There is a huge difference

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you ever consider that all of the Hallowe'en stuff you are talking about is simply a manifestation of "perverted" Christianity?

"Scary" teens who think they are "edgy"?

I don't know if it is perverted Christianity as it is just simply that because God, and the Scriptures have faded from our conscience as a nation , evil is just more and more manifesting itself. We cannot live in a vacuum, and if we as a society choose to not fill that void with Godliness and respect for His Word- there are legions of natural evil waiting to come in.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That works for popular culture as a whole, doesn't it?

Well it all depends on what we define as part of "pop culture".

I do not usually listen to popular music as a rule, but much of it is heart ache, breaking up , sleeping with people etcetc.

Now we cannot hide from everything like that, but we should be careful.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From the BBC:

All Hallows' Eve
All Hallows' Eve falls on 31st October each year, and is the day before All Hallows' Day, also known as All Saints' Day in the Christian calendar. The Church traditionally held a vigil on All Hallows' Eve when worshippers would prepare themselves with prayers and fasting prior to the feast day itself.

The name derives from the Old English 'hallowed' meaning holy or sanctified and is now usually contracted to the more familiar word Hallowe'en.

A brief history of the festival
In the early 7th century Pope Boniface IV consecrated the Pantheon in Rome, formerly a temple to all the gods, as a church dedicated to Saint Mary and the Martyrs, and ordered that that date, 13th May, should be celebrated every year.

It became All Saints' Day, a day to honour all the saints, and later, at the behest of Pope Urban IV (d. 1264), a day specially to honour those saints who didn't have a festival day of their own.

In the 8th century, on 1st November, Pope Gregory III dedicated a chapel to all the saints in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. Gregory IV then made the festival universal throughout the Church, and 1st November has subsequently become All Saints' Day for the western Church.

The Orthodox Church celebrates All Saints' Day on the first Sunday after Passover - a date closer to the original 13th May

So it is a holy day after the high feast of dark magic! Nov 1. Is all saints day! It is also something that took 6 centuries to develop long after the external church had been going pagan and right around the onset of the dark ages.

This was the ongoing practise of trying to "Christianize" pagan practices, places and events in order to try to smooth the forced conversions of pagans to Christianity.

As I said, it is All Hallow's Eve, a Christian holiday.

Nor do I see anything evil with the hordes of kids getting candy from us (we get around 300 a year)

So we agree that there is nothing wrong with kid's collecting candy on Halloween, which is the primary focus of the day.

As I said the Harry Potter and even the Star wars (the force is very HIndu) are well written and well produced and very entertaining series! No doubt. But what is being honored? They are not Christian so I don't expect them to honor Jesus, they were created by unsaved for the unsaved to entertain them. What we as Christians need to do is to insure we do not allow our kids to be ensnared by the messages that are being touted in things like this.

Star Wars- the all encompassing force, Harry Potter- that magic can be good and wholseome as well as evil.

And as I said I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies, but you are certainly free to avoid them.

Upvote 0