Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
What is the Christian position on witches and witchcraft?

The Bible says:
Exodus 22:18
“Do not allow a sorceress to live."

In a truly Christian society, without any secularism, would witches be killed? And would you support such a thing?

Indeed, would you like to live in a Christian State that uses Christianity and the Bible as the whole basis of how to govern

My mother, sister and aunt are all witches.. and they all do spells that can hurt people.. my sister works with a deity called Lucifer (very familiar to Christians)... Should I keep relationships going with them?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The Bible says:

In a truly Christian society, without any secularism, would witches be killed? And would you support such a thing?

Indeed, would you like to live in a Christian State that uses Christianity and the Bible as the whole basis of how to govern

My mother, sister and aunt are all witches.. and they all do spells that can hurt people.. my sister works with a deity called Lucifer (very familiar to Christians)... Should I keep relationships going with them?
There are two crowds in Christianity, one I might trust to do so, but the other I would not.

And if there are accusations of them actually doing harm to people with their "spells", then they should be investigated to see if they actually are first, etc, and then just like any other criminal, or someone facing possible criminal charges for a malicious crime, if the harm is deemed illegal or bad enough, etc, then they should have to face the consequences just like any other criminal with harmful or malicious intent that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law, once that is done, etc. But certainly not burned at the stake like we're still in the middle ages, or medieval times, or something like that, etc, but just treated like any other criminal appropriate to the level of the crime, etc.

Whether you should still have anything to do with them or not, is entirely up to you and your own discretion, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The Bible says:

Personally I don't believe in witches. Unless you count 13 year old girls who try to cast spells on people they don't like. I've never heard of them actually working.

But to answer your question, look to history. There was a time when 'witchcraft' was a felony that required the death penalty just like any other crime that required death as punishment. And personally I'm glad society has moved on from those days. If you read the accounts of witch trials you'll find that they were all based on false testimony from people who had a grudge against the 'witch', or were just grand drama queens wanting the attention. Even when it meant to death of another person.

In modern times should witchcraft be a felony or a misdemeanor? Would it require death, or imprisonment, or a fine? Maybe it would just be a summons like a traffic ticket. Cop sees someone boiling a cauldron of eye of newt and buzzard toenails and says, "Hey there's a big fine for that".

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says they ARE real, and takes them very seriously.
Certainly the women in my family have done spells and the targets have then got ill or been hurt in 'accidents'. I've seen for myself how this stuff is real.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Bible says:

The Old Testament is not Christianity. The Old testament state is not a Christian state. There is no instruction to use violence, in any of Christian Scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The Old Testament is not Christianity. The Old testament state is not a Christian state. There is no instruction to use violence, in any of Christian Scriptures.
Great.

This means you can safely ignore all that Ten Commandment stuff any OT suggestion that homosexuality is wrong.

Or are you being selective?

OB

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great.

This means you can safely ignore all that Ten Commandment stuff any OT suggestion that homosexuality is wrong.

OB
Yes, Christians can safely ignore all the OT commandments, as long as those commandments or principles do not continue in Christianity, in one form or another.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The Bible says:

This is probably the most important and personal post of all those you've ever posted, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thru-out the earliest Christian history, the answer was YES. It is only people hundreds of years removed from the Apostles & Christ who say no. But I think the problem is, the criteria to declare judgement on someone being a witch got ridiculously low. You could sentence someone to death to be a witch just b/c someone looked at you funny. This shouldn't be something tossed around willy-nilly but a clear set of criteria.

There's a lot of reasons for Christians to reject a Christian state. Most Christians are not 'Christian nationalists' although non-believers will try to tell you that.
We reject 'Christian nationalism' b/c:
We don't want a different denomination forcing doctrine on us we think God is clear on
Lack of genuineness
Belief in freedom

Those who want "Christian nationalism" usually want it b/c they're trying to achieve their power thru religion. It is not from the genuine b/c we know the problems in it ourselves.

Upvote 0

Soulx3

Feb 22, 2024
PNW
✟3,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

The Bible says:

If a person has a will to have or use evil power and they receive it, then it comes from satan by their choice, despite who or what they believe is instead responsible if anyone. Pray for the conversion of all those who have a will to possess or use evil power.

I would not support it because God gave us a commandment against killing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The Bible says:

The book of Acts shows us how the first Christians dealt with those who practiced witchcraft. They didn't kill them.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Great.

OB
Acts 15 tells us otherwise. Homosexuality is under the umbrella of sexual immorality which is still forbidden.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Acts 15 tells us otherwise. Homosexuality is under the umbrella of sexual immorality which is still forbidden.

Where in the New Testament is there a definition of 'sexual immorality' which includes homosexuality.

Without this definition it would appear you are imposing your own view of what constitutes immorality in the NT.

OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
If a person has a will to have or use evil power and they receive it, then it comes from satan by their choice, despite who or what they believe is instead responsible if anyone. Pray for the conversion of all those who have a will to possess or use evil power.

I would not support it because God gave us a commandment against killing.
My understanding of that Commandment is that it forbids murder. Murder is killing which is not sanctioned by society - usually via law or custom. If the law agreed that witches should be killed then killing witches would not be murder. Since it wouldn't be murder it would not be forbidden by the commandment.

OB

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

The Bible says:

No

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is also a command to eradicate all the Canaanites. It's so because it's a war between God and the devil who kept trying to destroy God's salvation plan by either eradicating the Jews as a whole, or to poisoning their religion such that they may fail the job of conveying God's truth. Whether it's witchcraft or the Canaanites, they are superficial. Who is behind them which matters. The measure thus doesn't actually apply to witchcraft. It's rather an action to preseve the religion of the ancient Jews such that God's truth can convey through them to reach and to save today's humans.

That is to say, it's a command God would issue but to His own chosen people only. It's a special counter measure against Satan's plot of stopping God's salvation by supressing the Jews and their religion in one way or another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is also a command to eradicate all the Canaanites. It's so because it's a war between God and the devil who kept trying to destroy God's salvation plan by either eradicating the Jews as a whole, or to poisoning their religion such that they may fail the job of conveying God's truth. Whether it's witchcraft or the Canaanites, they are superficial. Who is behind them which matters. The measure thus doesn't actually apply to witchcraft. It's rather an action to preseve the religion of the ancient Jews such that God's truth can convey through them to reach and to save today's humans.

That is to say, it's a command God would issue but to His own chosen people only. It's a special counter measure against Satan's plot of stopping God's salvation by supressing the Jews and their religion in one way or another.

Ancient Judaism actually resembles today's mass media such as CNN or Fox News. A department is responsible for gathering news (or rather testimonies from eyewitnesses) and keeps them accurate and guarding the information securely before the actual broadcasting in a US-facing manner.

Ancient Judaism is responsible for gathering testimonies from eyewitnesses about God's truth and keeping them securely with accuracy till the final broadcast in a human-facing manner. The Jews failed the role at the point of broadcast. Now it's Christianity doing the job of "preaching the gospel to all nations". It's a mission making the broadcast human-facing, day one since Christianity was established.

Satan on the other hand, is like putting his best effort in destroying CNN and its exclusive news before the actual broadcast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says they ARE real, and takes them very seriously.
Certainly the women in my family have done spells and the targets have then got ill or been hurt in 'accidents'. I've seen for myself how this stuff is real.

I wouldn't befriend such people, but I would use every possible opportunity to share my faith with them, especially family.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where in the New Testament is there a definition of 'sexual immorality' which includes homosexuality.

Without this definition it would appear you are imposing your own view of what constitutes immorality in the NT.

OB
Acts 15:20 and 29, the word inappropriate contenteia is used to describe fornication, but it means much more than just that.

Upvote 0