May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What do you think about the celebration of Halloween, an obviously pagan, nearly devilish holiday?

Halloween now is yet another staggeringly naff comercial event (with orange tat instead of red christmas tat or yellow easter tat). It does not even have its old horror purpose of evil creatures being almost God's enforcers if you strayed from the path, but now just has a kind of sadistic inappropriate contentography of violence.

Personally I shall be enjoying a good (proper) horror story from M R James (who used monsters as they are supposed to be used, as the consequence that awaits anyone who steps out of line - the root of the word 'monster' being 'a warning').

And for all those thinking "But but but, it's PAGAN"...hellooo, what do you think Saturnalia and Christmas Trees were...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what do you think Saturnalia and Christmas Trees were...
Well, before there was Christmas, Christmas trees were, well, trees, and I don't recall ever meeting anyone who observed Saturnalia, or who believed in Saturn (the pagan god, not the planet.)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But more likely they'll just be regaled with more made-up "history" from the "all Christian feasts are pagan" folks.

I wouldn't turn a blind eye to children gaining access to the occult just to put one over on your debating rivals though.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't turn a blind eye to children gaining access to the occult just to put one over on your debating rivals though.
"The occult"? Via Christmas trees? Right.

Making up false "history" is key to warding off "the occult", is it? If so, the putative cure is little better than the disease. How about if we just tell the truth, if only to surprise people by the novelty of the thing?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"The occult"? Via Christmas trees? Right.

Making up false "history" is key to warding off "the occult", is it? If so, the putative cure is little better than the disease. How about if we just tell the truth, if only to surprise people by the novelty of the thing?

No, not Christmas Trees. Ouija boards. Supermarkets target them towards children at Halloween. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, before there was Christmas, Christmas trees were, well, trees, and I don't recall ever meeting anyone who observed Saturnalia, or who believed in Saturn (the pagan god, not the planet.)

The point is that both Yule and Saturnalia were Christianised, and there is no reason to think that Halloween also cannot be.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point is that both Yule and Saturnalia were Christianised, and there is no reason to think that Halloween also cannot be.
Yule and Saturnalia no longer exist, and their “gods” never existed. They’re of interest only to historians. Why act as though they’re still somehow significant?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yule and Saturnalia no longer exist, and their “gods” never existed. They’re of interest only to historians. Why act as though they’re still somehow significant?

The pagan festivals existed, but were converted to Christianity.

Halloween exists, and can be converted to Christianity too.

Why act as though this is not what I said?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The pagan festivals existed, but were converted to Christianity.
I don't think Saturnalia had a great deal to do with the birth of Jesus Christ. Except for a possible date overlap, Christmas and Saturnalia have precisely nothing to do with each other.

Halloween exists, and can be converted to Christianity too.
It already does, as the vigil of All Saints. Some of us observe that instead of Halloween.

Why act as though this is not what I said?
Why act as though long dead pagans and their long forgotten feasts have anything to do with anything at all? Why should Christians care a pin about either? At Christmas, we worship the Risen Lord and remember His birth. At Easter we worship the Risen Lord and remember His glorious Resurrection, the most important event in the history of the universe. What have thousands-years-dead pagans got to do with anything?

I think that the short form is that for reasons of your own you believe that the Church should celebrate Jewish feasts and ignore Christians, and you simply invoke ancient pagans and paganism to make your doctrine sound reasonable. Sorry, I find it to be nonsense. I will celebrate our Lord's coming, and His resurrection, with the rest of our brethren around the world. You can sit it out of you like.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I see lots of (fake) skeletons, ghosts and death figures in front gardens where I live and I have to say in this year of Covid with so many people losing loved ones it is incredibly insensitive.

• Agree
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see lots of (fake) skeletons, ghosts and death figures in front gardens where I live and I have to say in this year of Covid with so many people losing loved ones it is incredibly insensitive.
I didn't think that Halloween was really a thing in the UK. My daughter lives in Denmark, and says that other than she and her neighbors letting their kids carve pumpkins and such, Halloween doesn't really exist there.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I didn't think that Halloween was really a thing in the UK. My daughter lives in Denmark, and says that other than she and her neighbors letting their kids carve pumpkins and such, Halloween doesn't really exist there.

It's become quite a big thing in the UK in recent years. I remember reading a newspaper article last year saying that Brits now spend more money celebrating Haloween than they do Easter. It's not so big in Europe but then England always does lead the way in following the US!

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why act as though long dead pagans and their long forgotten feasts have anything to do with anything at all? Why should Christians care a pin about either?

Yes, the trees, logs, holly, and ivy are not from an older source at all and in no way were they Christianised pagan practices any more than the sacred groves of yew were Christianised by the building of churches where once there were shrines and temples.

Your ignorance of our history is shocking.

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
On and around Halloween, I just stay home and watch horror movies. Nothing wrong with that, right?
I went out as my favorite villain …. who is in your profile pic

Attachments

• 123057630_10224102281004512_1282578994553356690_o.jpg
    123057630_10224102281004512_1282578994553356690_o.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Going_Nowhere
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am glad that Halloween has past and that it's now All Saints' Day! Enough of this silly discussion about whether children dressing up as "superheroes" or cartoon characters is demonic. Psst! It isn't; it's kids having fun, dressing up and gathering candy.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why Christians should not celebrate Halloween

According to various Encyclopedia's, the origins of this holiday are of demonic origin. Listed below are some quotes.

Encyclopedia.com's Electric Library:

Halloween Pronounced As: halwn, häl- , Oct. 31, the eve of All Saints' Day, observed with traditional games and customs. The word comes from medieval England's All Hallows' eve (Old Eng. hallow="saint). However, many of these customs predate Christianity, going back instead to Celtic practices associated with Nov. 1-the beginning of winter and the Celtic new year.

Witches and other evil spirits were believed to roam the earth on this evening, playing tricks on human beings to mark the season of diminishing sunlight
. Bonfires were lit, offerings were made of dainty foods and sweets, and people would disguise themselves as one of the roaming spirits, to avoid demonic persecution. Survivals of these early practices can be found in countries of Celtic influence today, such as the United States where children go from door to door in scary costumes demanding "trick or treat.

Encyclopedia Britannica:

Halloween, also called All Hallows' Eve or All Hallows' Evening, a holy or hallowed evening observed on October 31, the eve of All Saints' Day. In modern times, it is the occasion for pranks and for children requesting treats or threatening tricks.

In ancient Britain and Ireland, the Celtic festival of Samhain eve was observed on October 31, at the end of summer. This date was also the eve of the new year in both Celtic and Anglo-Saxon times and was the occasion for one of the ancient fire festivals when huge bonfires were set on hilltops to frighten away evil spirits. The date was connected with the return of herds from pasture, and laws and land tenures were renewed.

The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on this day, and the autumnal festival acquired sinister significance, with ghosts, witches, hobgoblins, black cats, fairies, and demons of all kinds said to be roaming about. It was was the time to placate the supernatural powers controlling the processes of nature. In addition, Halloween was thought to be the most favorable time for divinations concerning marriage, luck, health, and death. It was the only day on which the help of the devil was invoked for such purposes."

Encarta Encyclopedia:

Origins, Halloween: Many of the ancient peoples of Europe marked the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter by celebrating a holiday in late autumn. The most important of these holidays to influence later Halloween customs was Samhain, a holiday observed by the ancient Celts, a tribal people who inhabited most of Western and Central Europe in the first millennium BC. Among the Celts, Samhain marked the end of one year and the beginning of the next. It was one of four Celtic holidays linked to important transitions in the annual cycle of seasons.

Samhain began at sundown on October 31 and extended into the following day. According to the Celtic pagan religion, known as Druidism, the spirits of those who had died in the preceding year roamed the earth on Samhain evening. The Celts sought to ward off these spirits with offerings of food and drink. The Celts also built bonfires at sacred hilltop sites and performed rituals, often involving human and animal sacrifices, to honor Druid deities.

Does this sound like something we ought to be imitating? Do we really want our children dressing up like witches and demons roaming about the streets and demanding offerings from human beings? And worse yet, threaten to bring some unwanted harm on the person if they refuse to give the child (imitating demons) an offering in the form of a treat?

Something to pray about. We have decided not to practice this pagan tradition in our family despite the kids having peer pressure and all the marketing hype that goes into this pagan holiday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

According to various Encyclopedia's, the origins of this holiday are of demonic origin. Listed below are some quotes.

Encyclopedia.com's Electric Library:

Halloween Pronounced As: halwn, häl- , Oct. 31, the eve of All Saints' Day, observed with traditional games and customs. The word comes from medieval England's All Hallows' eve (Old Eng. hallow="saint). However, many of these customs predate Christianity, going back instead to Celtic practices associated with Nov. 1-the beginning of winter and the Celtic new year.

Witches and other evil spirits were believed to roam the earth on this evening, playing tricks on human beings to mark the season of diminishing sunlight
. Bonfires were lit, offerings were made of dainty foods and sweets, and people would disguise themselves as one of the roaming spirits, to avoid demonic persecution. Survivals of these early practices can be found in countries of Celtic influence today, such as the United States where children go from door to door in scary costumes demanding "trick or treat.

Encyclopedia Britannica:

Halloween, also called All Hallows' Eve or All Hallows' Evening, a holy or hallowed evening observed on October 31, the eve of All Saints' Day. In modern times, it is the occasion for pranks and for children requesting treats or threatening tricks.

In ancient Britain and Ireland, the Celtic festival of Samhain eve was observed on October 31, at the end of summer. This date was also the eve of the new year in both Celtic and Anglo-Saxon times and was the occasion for one of the ancient fire festivals when huge bonfires were set on hilltops to frighten away evil spirits. The date was connected with the return of herds from pasture, and laws and land tenures were renewed.

The souls of the dead were supposed to revisit their homes on this day, and the autumnal festival acquired sinister significance, with ghosts, witches, hobgoblins, black cats, fairies, and demons of all kinds said to be roaming about. It was was the time to placate the supernatural powers controlling the processes of nature. In addition, Halloween was thought to be the most favorable time for divinations concerning marriage, luck, health, and death. It was the only day on which the help of the devil was invoked for such purposes."

Encarta Encyclopedia:

Origins, Halloween: Many of the ancient peoples of Europe marked the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter by celebrating a holiday in late autumn. The most important of these holidays to influence later Halloween customs was Samhain, a holiday observed by the ancient Celts, a tribal people who inhabited most of Western and Central Europe in the first millennium BC. Among the Celts, Samhain marked the end of one year and the beginning of the next. It was one of four Celtic holidays linked to important transitions in the annual cycle of seasons.

Samhain began at sundown on October 31 and extended into the following day. According to the Celtic pagan religion, known as Druidism, the spirits of those who had died in the preceding year roamed the earth on Samhain evening. The Celts sought to ward off these spirits with offerings of food and drink. The Celts also built bonfires at sacred hilltop sites and performed rituals, often involving human and animal sacrifices, to honor Druid deities.

Does this sound like something we ought to be imitating? Do we really want our children dressing up like witches and demons roaming about the streets and demanding offerings from human beings? And worse yet, threaten to bring some unwanted harm on the person if they refuse to give the child (imitating demons) an offering in the form of a treat?

Something to pray about. We have decided not to practice this pagan tradition in our family despite the kids having peer pressure and all the marketing hype that goes into this pagan holiday.

Well, to each his own. Children have dressed up for many many years (as have adults) as many different characters and it's all in fun. They generally go around their neighborhoods and receive candy and other treats, then go home and have fun. IMHO that isn't evil, it's fun.

If your faith is threatened by kids having fun, then I question your faith. Are you going to deny your kids Christmas, a pagan holiday, also?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The founder of the church of Satan said that by dressing up, either by wearing a costume or coloring oneself for Halloween, is tantamount to worshipping the devil.

Anton LaVey, the founder of the church of Satan, himself declared that by dressing up, either by wearing a costume or by coloring oneself in celebration of Halloween, signifies that you allow Satan to own you. He further said that when you adopt the pagan practices, you subconsciously dedicate yourself to the devil. He took joy in Christians who take part in the tradition, saying:

I am glad that Christian parents let their children worship the devil at least one night out of the year. Welcome to Halloween.

LaVey’s statement is corroborated by a former Satanist, John Ramirez, who said that when you dress up even as an angel or a mermaid for Halloween, “you give the devil the legal rights to change your identity.” Ramirez further warned that there’s a much darker reality in Halloween beyond costumes and candy. The former Satanist turned Christian pastor said in an interview on CBS News (October 20, 2018):

I was a general to the kingdom of darkness in witchcraft. I would sit with the devil and talk to him like I’m talking to you today. It was that kind of communication. It was that kind of relationship.

Christian teaching
With more than 2.2 billion adherents, Christianity comprises about 31.50% among all the organized religions in the world. And, based on a CBN News Facebook survey, 87% expressed that Christians should not celebrate Halloween, while 13% believe that there’s no problem celebrating it.

Christians are taught to be the light of the world. In one of the Scripture passages, we are instructed thus:

You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly father.

(Matthew 5:14-16)

Therefore, Christian believers have the moral responsibility to educate their children regarding the evil that comes with Halloween pumpkins, costumes, and the Trick-or-Treat tradition. Adults should likewise lead by example to the young ones.

Halloween history
The origin of Halloween can be traced back to the Celtic festival of Samhain. It’s a tradition held at the end of summer when sacrifices were made to the gods in Druid tradition. The adherents believed that Samhain, the god of death, scattered evil spirits during this time throughout the world to attack humans. These evil spirits play nasty tricks as soon as the dark winter and the waning of the sun set in.

To escape the attack, humans would assume disguises and make themselves look like evil spirits, too.

Halloween is also the favorite time of year for witches, or the advocates of Wicca. Wicca is the official religion of witchcraft. Wiccan adherents believe that on the night of October 31, the separation of physical and spiritual realities is at its thinnest and least guarded. And so, it’s the best time for those who have necromantic abilities to speak to the dead.

Pagan Halloween and Christian tradition
As Christianity spread through Europe, it came into conflict with the indigenous pagan beliefs. The organized church basically challenged the established customs by trying to introduce Christian alternatives. Although Christianity gained some converts, many were adamant. And so, the missionaries succeeded only in “Christianizing” pagan rituals. They were only able to introduce Christian symbols and practices to the pagan traditions, like the All Hallows Eve remembrance.

The missionaries injected the All Saints’ Day concept into the pagan Halloween celebration. They introduced the evening before All Saints’ Day as All Hallows Eve, when the time of solemn remembrance of the martyrs begins. The term was derived from “Hallowed”, which means holy. All Hallows Eve was shortened to “Hallow-e’en”, which eventually became “Halloween” over the years. The only difference between the two practices is that the early Christians’ observance of the Halloween never involved wearing costumes. It was rather a solemn event focused on prayer and meditation.

Sadly though, the pagan practices held a remarkably strong influence that some of the new converts were unable to abandon their old customs altogether. Over the years, other Christians adopted those customs, too. Besides, commercialization came into play. Thus, the practice of trick-or-treat, costumes, adornments, and make-up or body coloring is very much alive even up to the present.

God bless

Upvote 0