Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You appear to have your quotes or something messed up and I can't really follow what you are saying.

But the main thing is when Jesus was born the verse used was the word baby.
βρέφος
brephos a baby

Later the verses state that he was in a house and the word used was child.
παιδίον
paidionChild

He was not a tiny infant when they fled Egypt but a toddler.

I know he was born in an animal shelter (cave, stable) because there was not enough room at the inn, I have read those verses, thankyou all the same.

I also know the 25th is a custom and very unlikely to be the actual date.

I am also not saying when the star appeared because the bible doesn't tell us. I was simply pointing out that it would have taken the magi some months to travel once they did see it.

It wasn't as nativity scenes depict with huddled shepherds and magi together in a stable overlooking a newborn Christ. That is a child’s picture the same way a bobbing rounded ark with giraffe heads poking out the top is.
Reality is that while the shepherds arrived soon after his birth, the magi arrived at a house with a toddler.

A paidon was a small child, and includes infants. Jesus was a paidon when He was presented in the Temple as an infant,

Luke 2:27
καὶ ἦλθεν ἐν τῷ πνεύματι εἰς τὸ ἱερόν καὶ ἐν τῷ εἰσαγαγεῖν τοὺς γονεῖς τὸ παιδίον Ἰησοῦν τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτοὺς κατὰ τὸ εἰθισμένον τοῦ νόμου περὶ αὐτοῦ

See Leviticus 12:1-8 on how the Torah commands what happens after childbirth and the purification necessary.

Jesus was an infant when presented at the Temple, the text calling Him a paidon.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟83,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Halloween is NOT sinful or Evil. Every year we get someone on here saying that it is, trying to discourage it, forgetting that they do not get to choose whether or not others celebrate it.....
Whatever makes them feel empowered I guess, but in the end, Halloween will go on as planned

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A paidon was a small child, and includes infants. Jesus was a paidon when He was presented in the Temple as an infant,

Luke 2:27
καὶ ἦλθεν ἐν τῷ πνεύματι εἰς τὸ ἱερόν καὶ ἐν τῷ εἰσαγαγεῖν τοὺς γονεῖς τὸ παιδίον Ἰησοῦν τοῦ ποιῆσαι αὐτοὺς κατὰ τὸ εἰθισμένον τοῦ νόμου περὶ αὐτοῦ

See Leviticus 12:1-8 on how the Torah commands what happens after childbirth and the purification necessary.

Jesus was an infant when presented at the Temple, the text calling Him a paidon.

-CryptoLutheran

I already know that, thank you.

The word paidon can have various meaning based on the context around it.
Infant, little children, a child (boy or girl) an older child, or even a child like intellect.

We know that Jesus was eight days old when his parents brought him to the temple, because that was the age the purification was done. In that case we can be sure it does mean an infant but there is no such context surrounding when they left.
No age is given in Matthew 2:11 when the magi arrived at the house and no age given Matthew 2:16 when Herod ordered the boys to be killed. All we are told it was boys 2 and under and it was "in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi." I highly doubt he would have ordered the deaths of boys up to 2 years of age is the magi had told him that Jesus had been born a few weeks before.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I already know that, thank you.

The word paidon can have various meaning based on the context around it.
Infant, little children, a child (boy or girl) an older child, or even a child like intellect.

We know that Jesus was eight days old when his parents brought him to the temple, because that was the age the purification was done. In that case we can be sure it does mean an infant but there is no such context surrounding when they left.
No age is given in Matthew 2:11 when the magi arrived at the house and no age given Matthew 2:16 when Herod ordered the boys to be killed. All we are told it was boys 2 and under and it was "in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi." I highly doubt he would have ordered the deaths of boys up to 2 years of age is the magi had told him that Jesus had been born a few weeks before.
So, it is your interpretation about how old Jesus was when he met the magi.
Your problem with the Martyrdom of the Innocents is that the Magi didn't meet Jesus yet, so they didn't know how old he was. Herod consulted his astrologers to determine when the star showed itself, and based on his advisors, decided to kill all those two years and under. Apparently, the star event, conjunction I believe, was going on for a while. I will stipulate that Jesus was not visited on the day of his birth, that he had been taken to the temple as required. When they went back from Jerusalem, a journey of about 5 miles, we can be sure that a more adequate place was available.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, it is your interpretation about how old Jesus was when he met the magi.
Your problem with the Martyrdom of the Innocents is that the Magi didn't meet Jesus yet, so they didn't know how old he was. Herod consulted his astrologers to determine when the star showed itself, and based on his advisors, decided to kill all those two years and under. Apparently, the star event, conjunction I believe, was going on for a while. I will stipulate that Jesus was not visited on the day of his birth, that he had been taken to the temple as required. When they went back from Jerusalem, a journey of about 5 miles, we can be sure that a more adequate place was available.

And I can say the same back to you. The narrative does not give an age so this is your interpretation as well.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And I can say the same back to you. The narrative does not give an age so this is your interpretation as well.
The difference is that you stated definitively that Jesus was a toddler. I have poked holes in all your theories, mostly with 'the Bible doesn't say that'. Being a Bible only believer, that should give you pause. On the other hand, I don't go with Sola Scriptura, and because of that, I can show why my belief is what it is.
It's not like I'm trying to change your mind, just pointing out that Scripture doesn't say that.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The difference is that you stated definitively that Jesus was a toddler. I have poked holes in all your theories, mostly with 'the Bible doesn't say that'. Being a Bible only believer, that should give you pause. On the other hand, I don't go with Sola Scriptura, and because of that, I can show why my belief is what it is.
It's not like I'm trying to change your mind, just pointing out that Scripture doesn't say that.

And I am saying that he was a toddler because of Matthew 2:16
16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the Wise-men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the male children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the borders thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had exactly learned of the Wise-men.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And I am saying that he was a toddler because of Matthew 2:16
16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the Wise-men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the male children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the borders thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had exactly learned of the Wise-men.
Yes, just to make sure he got the one he was after. Note, it wasn't just 2 year olds he had killed. It was 2 years old and under.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I will await the evidence for his Sept/Oct. birth.

It's from the gospel of Luke: Luke 1:5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron.

King David divided the year into priestly divisions, 'Abijah' is a date. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, just to make sure he got the one he was after. Note, it wasn't just 2 year olds he had killed. It was 2 years old and under.

I never said it was just 2 year olds. The Bible says 2 and under. Continue to think he was a tiny infant and I will continue to think he was a toddler. Honestly its not such a huge issue as you appear to be making it.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's from the gospel of Luke: Luke 1:5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron.

King David divided the year into priestly divisions, 'Abijah' is a date. God Bless :)
Yes, but that refers to Zechariah and Elizabeth.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I never said it was just 2 year olds. The Bible says 2 and under. Continue to think he was a tiny infant and I will continue to think he was a toddler. Honestly its not such a huge issue as you appear to be making it.
I'm not making an issue of it. I've never said you were wrong, just presented another point of view. The key point I'm making is that the date of Christmas has nothing to do with any pagan practice. Just as Halloween is not a pagan holiday. Which was the original subject.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not making an issue of it. I've never said you were wrong, just presented another point of view. The key point I'm making is that the date of Christmas has nothing to do with any pagan practice. Just as Halloween is not a pagan holiday. Which was the original subject.

I don't believe the 25th of December was Jesus' birthday, but that doesn't really bother me.
There is nothing wrong in celebrating his birth and pagan items that people include are nothing. To call them something is giving them some kind of power that they don't hold.
Isaiah 44:9-20

9 All who make idols are nothing,
and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind;
they are ignorant, to their own shame.

There is nothing pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy about halloween, it is 100% secular from the druids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Littlek

I'm His
Jun 13, 2011
U.S.A.
✟45,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting thread! I don't celebrate Halloween...but I do decorate for fall. I also have a family get together to carve pumpkins and have smores. I dont really pay attention to any other holidays but Christmas. I dont like the Santa idea...but I do love the smells...(pine, home baked goodies, seasonal candles) the twinkling lights, the songs, and the family gathering for games and food. Im on the fence about that one..because it brings back good memories of childhood.
Not sure if putting a tree up just because I like the way it looks is a sin. I don't worship my tree..and I know the difference between what is real and not. Its more "fun" I guess. My family looks forward to my Christmas eve party because we have a good time, and I plan things for us to do.
Now Easter..no, st Patrick's day..no, halloween..no, but Christmas has been hard to shake. I also get together on Thanksgiving to eat.

• Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting thread! I don't celebrate Halloween...but I do decorate for fall. I also have a family get together to carve pumpkins and have smores. I dont really pay attention to any other holidays but Christmas. I dont like the Santa idea...but I do love the smells...(pine, home baked goodies, seasonal candles) the twinkling lights, the songs, and the family gathering for games and food. Im on the fence about that one..because it brings back good memories of childhood.
Not sure if putting a tree up just because I like the way it looks is a sin. I don't worship my tree..and I know the difference between what is real and not. Its more "fun" I guess. My family looks forward to my Christmas eve party because we have a good time, and I plan things for us to do.
Now Easter..no, st Patrick's day..no, halloween..no, but Christmas has been hard to shake. I also get together on Thanksgiving to eat.

To me a Christmas tree is one of those side things.
Romans 14:14
I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.

Yes a decorated tree does have pagan origins but so do weddings rings and the names of the months, so where does it stop?

If you don't want one, don't have one. If you feel it is sinful then to you it is. If you do have one, do so to the Lord as the Bible says. Ultimately all trees belong to God, as do the decorations hanging on it.
Each person should pray about such matters and do as they feel led.
Romans 14
5One person regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes a special day does so to the Lord;b he who eats does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One of the things I would point to at Halloween is how Ouija boards are sold in supermarkets, targeted to children. Under the cloak of 'fun' danger is lurking. God Bless :)
I agree with you about this. And other things can be dangerous too. But the real meaning of Halloween is the eve of All Saints Day. So celebrate what it is, not what it isn't.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟217,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes be careful there, you might actually learn something about the festival you're celebrating! :)
But more likely they'll just be regaled with more made-up "history" from the "all Christian feasts are pagan" folks.

Upvote 0