Is being Born Again mean you are Saved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born againa, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
a again: or, from above

But He did not say saved.

Is being saved the same as 'seeing the Kingdom of God' ?

Has anyone alive in the flesh seen the Kingdom of God ?

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It means to be born again or born from above by God.. to be sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption..

[bible]Ephesians 1:13-14[/bible]

Like this...

But I don't see being 'saved' or 'born again' mentioned here by St. Paul.

Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But I don't see being 'saved' or 'born again' mentioned here by St. Paul.

Well, who knows what the Orthodox consider being born again to be.. ?

If being sealed with the Spirit of promise until the redemption of the purchased possession unto the praise of His glory is not salvic to Orthodox, then what is..?

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Orthodox understanding of "saved" is different from other understandings.
Some people just think saved means they die and go to heaven.
I don't think heaven is our ultimate goal, nor is death.
I don't know for sure what happens when we die nor am I in a hurry to find out. The Bible says we will be with Christ after we die. It does not say where or when but to be with Him is good enough for me.

I believe our ultimate goal is the New Jerusalem according to the book of Revelation.
The New Jerusalem is not heaven. It comes down out of heaven from God.

I have seen some Orthodox point out the verses about Paul not being sure if he would win the crown or win the race as being about salvation.
I think those verses are about being an overcomer.

I think that born-again means that we have Christ living in us. We are born-again, and regenerated when we call upon the name of the Lord.
All those who are born-again will eventually be a part of the New Jerusalem.
But, not all who are born-again will be overcomers.
Once we are born-again, our eternal salvation is secure.
But, we have to grow in Christ and become mature in His life constantly seeking Him and being transformed into His image throughout our lifetime in order to gain enough oil to be those who are overcomers.

Reactions: racer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Peter also writes that we are born again by the incorruptible word of God which lives and abides for ever..

Interesting that he ties it into the truth of the gospel, and that's certainly the context of what Peter is writing about.. the gospel which is preached..

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter also writes that we are born again by the incorruptible word of God which lives and abides for ever..

And where does he equivocate that with and only with Holy Scripture ?

Fallacy of equivocation.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 3:3-21
3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." 4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
9"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.
10"You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

Belief in Jesus= being born again. Being born again=not perish but have eternal life. In context.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the Orthodox understanding of "saved" is different from other understandings.
Some people just think saved means they die and go to heaven.
I don't think heaven is our ultimate goal, nor is death.
I don't know for sure what happens when we die nor am I in a hurry to find out. The Bible says we will be with Christ after we die. It does not say where or when but to be with Him is good enough for me.

I believe our ultimate goal is the New Jerusalem according to the book of Revelation.
The New Jerusalem is not heaven. It comes down out of heaven from God.

I have seen some Orthodox point out the verses about Paul not being sure if he would win the crown or win the race as being about salvation.
I think those verses are about being an overcomer.

I think that born-again means that we have Christ living in us. We are born-again, and regenerated when we call upon the name of the Lord.
All those who are born-again will eventually be a part of the New Jerusalem.
But, not all who are born-again will be overcomers.
Once we are born-again, our eternal salvation is secure.
But, we have to grow in Christ and become mature in His life constantly seeking Him and being transformed into His image throughout our lifetime in order to gain enough oil to be those who are overcomers.

Awesome observations.
Thank you Christianmom
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Belief in Jesus= being born again. Being born again=not perish but have eternal life. In context.
A Baptist (thanks be to God, someone that I think I know what they believe) would then say that 'not perish but have eternal life' is == saved ? :)

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Baptist (thanks be to God, someone that I think I know what they believe) would then say that 'not perish but have eternal life' is == saved ? :)

Yes. Unless eternal life= not saved.:)

Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The word of God and the Gospel are found in Holy Scripture, but Holy Scripture does not equivocate them.

Ok.. I'm simply showing the context of what Peter is writing about.. how you interpret it is your business.

The Lord also told us that heaven and earth will pass away, but that His words shall never pass away.. ie, they endure for ever..

His words are Spirit and they are Life.. ie, they're living and abiding, just as Peter writes..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.