✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 3:1-12 ESV

“Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, ‘Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.’ Jesus answered him, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.’ Nicodemus said to him, ‘How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?’ Jesus answered, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, “You must be born again.” The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.’
“Nicodemus said to him, ‘How can these things be?’ Jesus answered him, ‘Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony. If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things?’”

So, what does it mean to be “born again”? Well, the first time we are born is by physical birth. But to be “born again” is a spiritual birth. The first time we were born we were born in sin, with sin natures, in the image of Adam, who was the first man to sin against God. Yet when we are born again, we are now born into the likeness of Jesus Christ with spiritual natures. But first we must be crucified and buried with Christ in death to sin so that we can be raised with Christ to walk in newness of life in him, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness, no longer to live as slaves to sin.

[Romans 3:9-26; Romans 5:12-19; 1 Corinthians 15:21-22,42-49; Ephesians 2:8-10; Romans 6:1-23; Ephesians 4:17-24]

Now, I believe there are some misconceptions being taught here by some people based off faulty interpretations of this passage, largely because they are not reading the passage in its context. For Jesus was clearly contrasting physical birth with spiritual birth. And when we are born of our mothers, we are born of water. The water breaks and then the baby is born. There is absolutely no cause to bring water baptism into this passage of Scripture, for it does not fit the context. Verse 4 speaks of being born of a mother’s womb, and Jesus then said we have to be born of water and the Spirit.

And then Jesus continued by contrasting physical and spiritual birth again. The first time we are born, we are born of flesh. But when we are “born again,” we are born of the Spirit, again, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. By faith in Jesus Christ we die with him to sin that we might live to him and to his righteousness. The old self was put to death in order that we might no longer be enslaved to sin but now to live as slaves to God and to his righteousness. So sin should no longer be what rules our lives. God/Christ should now be the one to rule our lives.

Nicodemus didn’t understand what Jesus was saying, though, and many people professing faith in Jesus Christ don’t understand what it means to be “born again,” either. They think if they profess faith in Jesus Christ that it means they have been “born again” and that it now guarantees them heaven when they die and full forgiveness of all sin regardless of how they live. But to be born again means dying to the old life, by faith in Christ, and then raised with Christ to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin but as slaves to God and to his righteousness (Romans 6:1-23).

So, the new life, the “born again” life, is not to look just like the old life, which is the one born of the flesh, born of woman. It is to be opposite of that with regard to flesh and Spirit. Although we still live in flesh bodies, and we are still tempted to sin, sin is no longer to be what we practice, our habit. Now righteousness and obedience to our Lord are to be what we practice. We don’t put on new garments over top of the old ratty garments we are wearing, for the ones closest to our hearts are still the old ratty garments. So the new garments become just for show, to look good on the outside.

Thus, “born again” is not some status we wear while we still live in our old ratty garments, still doing the same old stuff we did before we were “born again.” Now I am not saying we will become instantly perfect, for not one of us will be absolutely perfect until we get to heaven, provided we do go to heaven and not to hell. But the Scriptures teach that “born again” means a new life in Christ, which is a changed life, with a new mind, and a changed heart, which is not like the old life. Now we walk (in conduct, in practice) according to the Spirit and no longer according to the flesh.

For Jesus said that unless we are born again, of the Spirit, we cannot see the kingdom of God; we cannot enter the kingdom of God. And Jesus made that more clear when he said in Matthew 7:21-23 that not everyone who says to him, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one DOING the will of God the Father in heaven. For many will stand before God on the day of judgment claiming him as Lord, and their deeds they believed they did in his name, and he is going to say to them, “I never knew you. Depart from me you workers of lawlessness,” because they refused to obey the Lord.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

When I Go Home

By G. M. Eldridge

“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes…” Revelation 21:4

In the moment He appears
And the light from heaven shines,
I’ll forget ev’ry fear,
Ev’ry pain I’ll leave behind.
Then I’ll see Him as He is
And I’ll know Him as I’m known.
Ev’ry tear wiped away when I go home.

Ever present is the tho’t
That a moment waits for me
When unworthy as I am,
His glory I will see.
I will empty all my praise
Before my Father’s throne.

If the trial I endure,
And your presence I can’t find,
Be near me, Lord, I pray,
Bring back unto my mind
That your promises are firm
And I’m never on my own.

Caution: This link may contain ads

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being born of the water means washing away of sin done by God
Not in this context. He is talking about being born of the womb of his mother and being born of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes.. I agree. Born of water is being born of your mother.
Let me suggest a "secret" about John 3 that many miss.
Jesus is talking about being born again: true.
But in the famous 3:16, the Greek reads, "whosoever believes INTO him shall have eternal life...". Not merely believe in Him, as in acknowledging who He was and is, but believing into Him, His experience, and His name.
The Greek preposition here is ice, or into, not en, in.
This refers to being baptized into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. You are born again and receive "eternal life" when you believe into Christ. It is referred to as being "baptized into Christ."
Many passages support this, including Eph 2, Rom 6, 1 Peter 1

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Or,.....

As some scholars have pointed out,....

‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water, even the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

I guess some scholars back in the day actually knew something.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.. I agree. Born of water is being born of your mother.
Let me suggest a "secret" about John 3 that many miss.
Jesus is talking about being born again: true.
But in the famous 3:16, the Greek reads, "whosoever believes INTO him shall have eternal life...". Not merely believe in Him, as in acknowledging who He was and is, but believing into Him, His experience, and His name.
The Greek preposition here is ice, or into, not en, in.
This refers to being baptized into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. You are born again and receive "eternal life" when you believe into Christ. It is referred to as being "baptized into Christ."
If we understand what the Scriptures teach regarding belief, it helps solve that issue. For belief in Jesus, if it is true biblical faith, is never a mere acknowledgment of who Jesus is/was and to what he did/does. True biblical faith is taught in the context of dying with Christ to sin and being resurrected with Christ to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but now as slaves to God and to his righteousness - see: A Lover of Darkness or of Light?.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or,.....

‘Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water, even the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

In the context of John 3:1-12, the water being referred to is speaking of physical birth from the womb of the mother, for Nicodemus asked Jesus if he had to reenter his mother's womb to be born again and Jesus answered him that he had to be born of water (from the womb of his mother) and of the Spirit. And then he contrasted physical birth with spiritual birth, letting Nicodemus know that he was speaking of two separate births, one of our physical flesh and the other a spiritual birth of the Spirit of God.

Reactions: dwb001
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In the context of John 3:1-12, the water being referred to is speaking of physical birth from the womb of the mother, for Nicodemus asked Jesus if he had to reenter his mother's womb to be born again and Jesus answered him that he had to be born of water (from the womb of his mother) and of the Spirit. And then he contrasted physical birth with spiritual birth, letting Nicodemus know that he was speaking of two separate births, one of our physical flesh and the other a spiritual birth of the Spirit of God.
Sorry but no.

Water is normally associated with The Holy Spirit in scripture, it's not somehow associated with our fleshly birth. It's The Holy Spirit who applies the blood of Christ to our spirits during our Spiritual immersion/born again experience. Water has no significance here beyond relating to The Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry but no.

Water is normally associated with The Holy Spirit in scripture, it's not somehow associated with our fleshly birth. It's The Holy Spirit who applies the blood of Christ to our spirits during our Spiritual immersion/born again experience. Water has no significance here beyond relating to The Holy Spirit.
You have to read this in context. Water in this context is a definite reference to physical birth. But yes, symbolically speaking, in the Scriptures water is often used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit and of eternal life with God, too. It is the context of the Scriptures which determine how water is being used. For sometimes it is speaking just of literal physical water.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You have to read this in context. Water in this context is a definite reference to physical birth. But yes, symbolically speaking, in the Scriptures water is often used as a symbol of the Holy Spirit and of eternal life with God, too. It is the context of the Scriptures which determine how water is being used. For sometimes it is speaking just of literal physical water.
Like I said, sorry but no.

I won't belabor the point any further with you, I'm not all that worried if you want to believe this way, but understand that you will progress no further with The Holy Spirit and His teachings until at some point you finally get this right.

Laters

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
a new life in Christ, which is a changed life, with a new mind, and a changed heart, which is not like the old life.
... borne (carried) by Jesus , from above, heavenly places, spiritual ... like the wind which is heard but where it comes from, where it goes, unknown ... everyone borne by the Creator is like the wind ... also with the Breath of Yahweh Giving Live each moment ... depending on HIM, relying on HIM, trusting HIM ... 'carried' by HIM ... 'borne' from above by HIM .... ongoing, continuously, seeking HIS Kingdom always ... everyday, in all things, all thoughts, all actions....

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Immersed into Jesus,
abiding / staying in Him daily even though we are in the world ....
having by His Grace , His Mind, His Thoughts ... as written , always in perfect harmony with all His Word..... set apart by and in Him... (holy) ...

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... borne (carried) by Jesus , from above, heavenly places, spiritual ... like the wind which is heard but where it comes from, where it goes, unknown ... everyone borne by the Creator is like the wind ... also with the Breath of Yahweh Giving Live each moment ... depending on HIM, relying on HIM, trusting HIM ... 'carried' by HIM ... 'borne' from above by HIM .... ongoing, continuously, seeking HIS Kingdom always ... everyday, in all things, all thoughts, all actions....
Thank you. I am not sure about the statement that everyone borne by the Creator is like the wind, though, for we read in Ephesians 4 about those who are being tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. But I agree that our lives should be dependent on our Lord, continually seeking His kingdom...

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're referring to something common, wide-spread on earth, most places, a very very very different analogy in Scripture, something sadly very common on internet sites, most all media, and more, that is not handled well nor healing nor life-producing on the internet.

For what I posted is almost verbatim, close as can be, in Yahweh's Meaning

See John 3:8
JOHN 3:8
KJ21
The wind bloweth where it will, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being born of the water means washing away of sin done by God
Here I was feeling like I was wandering in the Wilderness of Sin, all alone. :)
I like how you put that. It is a nice way of explaining 1 Peter 3:21 - Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Christ's death allows God to wash our sins away, by our symbolizing our dedication to God, through baptism.
This verse helped me see John 3:16, with new eyes, since it shows the connection between our putting faith in Christ, and our getting baptized.
1 Peter 3:18, 20, 21
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, ... a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you...

It's nice to know someone else in this wilderness, actually found water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or,.....

The Greek word kai can mean 'and', 'even', or 'also'.

Water baptism was a requirement for those being saved.
One went with the other.

John 1:33
I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

Acts 1:4, 5
And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me
For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 10:47
“Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”

All adopted sons of God were baptized in water, and baptized in holy spirit.
Their baptism in water was a personal decision, an expression of their faith 1 Peter 3:18, Their baptism in holy spirit was God's approval of them, as his sons Romans 8:14-16.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Clarify if possible - as written somewhere in Scripture,

without shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. i.e. not as if 'dying' was sufficient - a billion on earth will soon die, but won't count as anthing towards remission of sin(s)... as the blood had to be the blood of a perfect sacrifice, right ?
You are correct. Without shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin.

1 Peter 3:18, 20, 21
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, ... a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.
Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you...

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes (pisteuó: to believe, entrust - from pistis: faith, faithfulness. Thus demonstrating faith) in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Atheists, skeptics, unbelievers, and believers all have sins.
However are we saved?

John 3:36
He who believes (pisteuó: to believe, entrust - from pistis: faith, faithfulness. Thus demonstrating faith) in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe (pisteuó: to believe, entrust - from pistis: faith, faithfulness. Thus demonstrating faith) the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

1 Peter 3:21 - Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Greek word kai can mean 'and', 'even', or 'also'.

Water baptism was a requirement for those being saved.
One went with the other.

John 1:33
I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’

Acts 1:4, 5
And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me
For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 10:47
“Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?”

All adopted sons of God were baptized in water, and baptized in holy spirit.
Their baptism in water was a personal decision, an expression of their faith 1 Peter 3:18, Their baptism in holy spirit was God's approval of them, as his sons Romans 8:14-16.

Are you attempting to convince me that we are born from water instead of born from above, from heaven?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you attempting to convince me that we are born from water instead of born from above, from heaven?
I am not.
However, I hope we agree that being born from above does not excludes being born from water, since being born again is being born from above, and being born again is being born of water, and spirit..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am not.
However, I hope we agree that being born from above does not excludes being born from water, since being born again is being born from above, and being born again is being born of water, and spirit..
I think you are somewhat confused my friend.

My personal experience of being born again had nothing to do with any sort of water, it was my simple confession by my mouth asking for forgiveness from my heart that brought about my salvation. I was engulfed with The Holy Spirit that night and Jesus paid me a personal visit the next afternoon. I wasn't even water immersed till around 6 months later, then a full year later I was filled with The Holy Spirit and received the gifts of The Spirit, I even had tastes of what the anointing is from The Father.

I don't think any sort of persuasion on your part is even remotely going to change my personal experiences of over 30 years.

Upvote 0