Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Question : What does it mean to be born again?
John 3:5​
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.​
Acts 1:5​
for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now​

Answer : To be born again means to be born of water - baptized with water, and born of spirit - baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The word "water" is used in scripture as an emblem of the word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the miracle of regeneration. (Titus 3:5)

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word "water" is used in scripture as an emblem of the word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the miracle of regeneration. (Titus 3:5)
Thanks for your explanation, and use of scriptures. Very much appreciated.

John 3
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Jesus explains what it means to be born again, in John 3:5, and Acts 1:5
Jesus explains that it is being
  • born of water and the Spirit
  • baptized with water, and Holy Spirit
Immersion.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The spirit of a man is the lamp of the LORD,
No Bible Verses?
When people visit this forum looking for Bible answers, they will likely say, "for the most part, people who identify as Christians do not use the Bible as the word of God - the authority. They state their own words as the authority.

I have read that the word of God is a lamp. Psalm 119:105
However, I know what you are trying to say. A scripture would be useful though.

The spirit has different roles.
On the one hand, it serves as the breath/spirit of life, which keeps man physically alive. Genesis 7:15, 22; Genesis 2:7; Isaiah 42:5
On the other hand, it serves to keep man spiritually alive before God. Galatians 5:16-26; Romans 8:5-13

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Bible Verses?
When people visit this forum looking for Bible answers, they will likely say, "for the most part, people who identify as Christians do not use the Bible as the word of God - the authority. They state their own words as the authority.

I have read that the word of God is a lamp. Psalm 119:105
However, I know what you are trying to say. A scripture would be useful though.

The spirit has different roles.
On the one hand, it serves as the breath/spirit of life, which keeps man physically alive. Genesis 7:15, 22; Genesis 2:7; Isaiah 42:5
On the other hand, it serves to keep man spiritually alive before God. Galatians 5:16-26; Romans 8:5-13
i said nothing ... i just quoted John 1:4 and part of Proverbs 20:27

sorry if i missenterpreted but i thought the deal was that we must awnswer the question with the scrip ....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i said nothing ... i just quoted John 1:4 and part of Proverbs 20:27

sorry if i missenterpreted but i thought the deal was that we must awnswer the question with the scrip ....
Not everyone is familiar with a quoted scripture. ;) Providing a reference always helps.
We promote God's word as the authority when we do that, and people can also examine the scriptures for themselves, to see if what we say is true.
Acts 17:11
Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if these teachings were true.

So, when persons present scriptures, and say something the scriptures do not say, people can investigate further. Right @Clare73.
They can also check scriptures provided by others, which counter such claims.

Let me demonstrate what I mean.
John 1:4 reads, In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
"In whom was life", the reader may ask. "Jesus", another might say. Yet, another will say, "What does that mean though?"

The Berean-like person will take the scriptures, and read the context, pondering over them, and digging deeper into scripture.
The first thing they will notice, is this:
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

They might say. "This is not about the spirit in man. This is about the light that came into the world - Jesus." John 1:5; John 8:12
If they are good students of the Bible, they might recall, when Jesus said, "And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil." John 3:19

They will then reason, "That means that this light is not in thousands, even billions of individuals. So this is not about the spirit in man at all."
This is one example of how scriptures can easily be misused - not necessarily intentionally, and keen students of the Bible notice, and point it out. Right @Clare73.

Proverbs 20:27 reads, "The spirit of man is the lamp of the LORD, searching all his innermost parts."
Yes, this is another way spirit is used. It has broad meaning. Not the spirit I had in mind though.

It reminds me of 1 Corinthians 2:11
For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

It corresponds to Jeremiah 11:20, and Jeremiah 17:20
The spirit of man reveals the person he is as God searches all hearts - Proverbs 17:3; Proverbs 21:2; Proverbs 24:12; Psalm 26:2
This spirit, is man's disposition - his inner most thoughts, intentions, emotions, etc. Proverbs 17:22; Proverbs 18:14

Appreciate your sharing that. It's always good when we can use the scriptures to see what we can learn. Even if we aren't quite accurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not everyone is familiar with a quoted scripture. ;) Providing a reference always helps.
We promote God's word as the authority when we do that, and people can also examine the scriptures for themselves, to see if what we say is true.
Acts 17:11
Now the Bereans were more noble-minded than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if these teachings were true.

So, when persons present scriptures, and say something the scriptures do not say, people can investigate further. Right @Clare73.
They can also check scriptures provided by others, which counter such claims.

Let me demonstrate what I mean.
John 1:4 reads, In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
"In whom was life", the reader may ask. "Jesus", another might say. Yet, another will say, "What does that mean though?"

The Berean-like person will take the scriptures, and read the context, pondering over them, and digging deeper into scripture.
The first thing they will notice, is this:
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

They might say. "This is not about the spirit in man. This is about the light that came into the world - Jesus." John 1:5; John 8:12
If they are good students of the Bible, they might recall, when Jesus said, "And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil." John 3:19

They will then reason, "That means that this light is not in thousands, even billions of individuals. So this is not about the spirit in man at all."
This is one example of how scriptures can easily be misused - not necessarily intentionally, and keen students of the Bible notice, and point it out. Right @Clare73.

Proverbs 20:27 reads, "The spirit of man is the lamp of the LORD, searching all his innermost parts."
Yes, this is another way spirit is used. It has broad meaning. Not the spirit I had in mind though.

It reminds me of 1 Corinthians 2:11
For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

It corresponds to Jeremiah 11:20, and Jeremiah 17:20
The spirit of man reveals the person he is as God searches all hearts - Proverbs 17:3; Proverbs 21:2; Proverbs 24:12; Psalm 26:2
This spirit, is man's disposition - his inner most thoughts, intentions, emotions, etc. Proverbs 17:22; Proverbs 18:14

Appreciate your sharing that. It's always good when we can use the scriptures to see what we can learn. Even if we aren't quite accurate.

i see ... this thread is about you asking others for your own opinion ... i am going to have to opt out ...

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your explanation, and use of scriptures. Very much appreciated.

John 3
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Jesus explains what it means to be born again, in John 3:5, and Acts 1:5
Jesus explains that it is being
  • born of water and the Spirit
  • baptized with water, and Holy Spirit
Immersion.
In John 3:5, Jesus said, "born of water and the Spirit" and NOT born of baptism and the Spirit. In John 4:10, Jesus said, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." In John 4:14, Jesus said, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.

*Jesus connects this living water here with everlasting life. *Living water is not water baptism. In *1 Corinthians 12:13, we also read - ..drink into one Spirit.

In John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing.

If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In John 3:5, Jesus said, "born of water and the Spirit" and NOT born of baptism and the Spirit. In John 4:10,
Of course Jesus doesn't say born of baptism. That would make no sense.
Born of water = Baptized in water.
Born of spirit = Baptized in spirit.

Jesus said, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, 'Give Me a drink,' you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water." In John 4:14, Jesus said, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.

*Jesus connects this living water here with everlasting life. *Living water is not water baptism. In *1 Corinthians 12:13, we also read - ..drink into one Spirit.

In John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing.
It looks like you are making interpretation about water, but those do not tell us what it means to be born again.

If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.
Water is not defined as baptism. Where are you getting this?

• Wow
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i see ... this thread is about you asking others for your own opinion ... i am going to have to opt out ...
This thread is about Bible answers to Bible questions.
It takes an orderly organized, and simple approach.

Question : Where is the kingdom of God?
Answer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the humble, seeking Bible answers to their question - An Explanation

Baptism

Romans 6:3-5
Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.

Colossians 2:12
having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

If you know anything about baptism, it goes like this:
giphy.gif

The person is fully immersed - buried. Then raised.
Our water baptism symbolizes burying the old man/woman, and being raised a new person.
Thus, the person is born of water.

Baptism of spirit is similar, only the person, is anointed by holy spirit, and is born anew.
In Jesus' case, the spirit was poured on him, in the form of a dove. John 1:32 In the case of the disciples, the spirit was poured out in a different way. Acts 2:2-4
Whatever way the person is baptized by holy spirit, they are a new born son of God. Acts 10:44
The person is born of spirit.

I know the children will understand this.
Luke 10:21
At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Question : Where are the dead, and in what condition, or state are they?

Where?

Revelation 20:13​
The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them.​
John 5:28, 29​
Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice, and come out...​
Ecclesiastes 3:​
19 For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity.​
20 All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust.

Job 10:9​
Remember that you have made me like clay and you return me to the dust
Job 14:13​
“Oh, that You would hide me in the grave, That You would conceal me until Your wrath is past, That You would appoint me a set time, and remember me!​
Genesis 3:19​
In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.

What condition, or state?
Ecclesiastes 9:​
4 But for him who is joined to all the living there is hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.​
5 For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten.
6 Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; Nevermore will they have a share In anything done under the sun.​
10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.​
Psalm 115:17​
The dead do not praise the Lord, Nor any who go down into silence.
Psalm 146:​
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.​
4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.​
Isaiah 38:18​
For Sheol cannot thank You, Death cannot praise You; Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your truth.​
Psalm 13:3​
Consider and hear me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
John 11:11-14​
11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”​
12 Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.”​
13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.​
14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead.
Acts 7:60​
Falling on his knees, he cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.​
1 Corinthians 15:6​
After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.​

Answer :
The Bible says
  • the dead are in the grave, and death is likened to sleep, from which the dead can be awakened - resurrected, if remembered by God.
  • the dead are in a state of inactivity, unconscious, and therefore cannot do anything at all.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Question : Where are the dead, and in what condition, or state are they?

Where?

Revelation 20:13​
The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them.​
John 5:28, 29​
Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice, and come out...​
Ecclesiastes 3:​
19 For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity.​
20 All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust.

Job 10:9​
Remember that you have made me like clay and you return me to the dust
Job 14:13​
“Oh, that You would hide me in the grave, That You would conceal me until Your wrath is past, That You would appoint me a set time, and remember me!​
Genesis 3:19​
In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.

What condition, or state?
Ecclesiastes 9:​
4 But for him who is joined to all the living there is hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion.​
5 For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten.​
6 Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; Nevermore will they have a share In anything done under the sun.​
10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.​
Psalm 115:17​
The dead do not praise the Lord, Nor any who go down into silence.
Psalm 146:​
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.​
4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.​
Isaiah 38:18​
For Sheol cannot thank You, Death cannot praise You; Those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your truth.​
Psalm 13:3​
Consider and hear me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
John 11:11-14​
11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”​
12 Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.”​
13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.​
14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead.
Acts 7:60​
Falling on his knees, he cried out in a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.​
1 Corinthians 15:6​
After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.​

Answer :
The Bible says
  • the dead are in the grave, and death is likened to sleep, from which the dead can be awakened - resurrected, if remembered by God.
  • the dead are in a state of inactivity, unconscious, and therefore cannot do anything at all.
This is all before Jesus resurrected. If the dead are in a state of inactive unconsciousness, then what about the parable of the rich man and lazarus?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is all before Jesus resurrected.
Revelation 20:13; John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15; and other scriptures about the dead, are not all before Jesus resurrected.
John 5:28, 29 specifically refers to a future time, and Jesus calls that hour, the "last day" - John 6:40.

If the dead are in a state of inactive unconsciousness, then what about the parable of the rich man and lazarus?
What about it? You acknowledge it's a parable. I don't think you intend to throw away the entire Bible, to make a parable fit a belief. Do you?

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
excerpt: "It is absolutely impossible that the Traditional interpretation of this can be correct; because, if it were, it would be directly opposed to all the other teaching of Scripture. "
Correct.
One would have to discard the entire Bible, to hold onto an idea that the dead are alive, and experiencing pain, or pleasure.
We should recognize that for what it is - a Satanic lie.

• Useful
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0