USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A black man who assaulted a latino family without provocation while shouting racial slurs won't be charged with a hate crime.

A man attacked a Latino father and son outside a Utah tire shop. Because of ‘shortcoming’ in state code, prosecutors can’t consider it a hate crime.

Oddly, the family blames Trump lol. Utah law only allows misdemeanors to be augmented with hate crime statutes.
And there are people who say blacks can't be racist because it is not prejudice + power.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And there are people who say blacks can't be racist because it is not prejudice + power.

It's hard to take those people seriously. It makes me wonder if they've only ever known white people their whole lives....or if they're just trying to justify their own racism against whites.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's hard to take those people seriously. It makes me wonder if they've only ever known white people their whole lives....or if they're just trying to justify their own racism against whites.

All you can do is wonder because all people are prejudiced. And people who physically attack others have some deep seated problems or are extremely stressed about something.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, those were people doing their PhD dissertation in subjects that needed no real scholarship.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Judging from what I've seen on CF, it would be odd if someone didn't blame him.

It's strange to me how so many people can believe that racism in the US has always been prevalent....yet now it's because of Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't say I understand what you mean here.

Academicians who need to make rubbish up to get their PhDs, but it doesn't actually have to align with ground truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand the responses in this thread at all. Utah has a law that serious crimes cannot receive hate crime status.

What the heck does this have to do with any kind of racism, black white or purple??????

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand the responses in this thread at all. Utah has a law that serious crimes cannot receive hate crime status.

What the heck does this have to do with any kind of racism, black white or purple??????
I can't figure out the point of this thread either. At first it seems to stir up the "black people can be racist too, but the government won't recognize it" sentiment, but then it turns out the reasoning clearly isn't based in racism at all, so... What's the point of this thread? I'm thinking it's just one big emotional appeal.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you want to bring back lynching or something?

My goodness. First - all crime is hate crime. You don't steal, hurt, maim, kill, or otherwise commit crimes against those you love.

The making a special category called "hate crimes" is silly. It's not any worse to commit a crime against a minority than it is to commit a crime against anyone else, crime is horrible and we should work toward reducing it.. not making special classes out of people..

Second, mental illness etc seems fairly well rampant these days, hopefully this man will get the help he needs...

Upvote 0