If going to (a) church doesn't make you a Christian, then what does...?

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this conversation is going off-track.

Anyone who believes that they can be an isolated Christian cannot have read the New Testament. What did Christ say .. I am the vine and you are the branches. ... as in ... branches plural. Christians in a fellowhip together. Nowhere does it say ... I am the vine, and you are an isolated leaf separated from humanity by 1000 miles

Again, see all the letters of Paul. All of them. He says constantly that believers should pray together and grow together. Never does he tell people to be isolated.

It is true that attrnding a church does not guarantee that a person is a Christian. But practically speaking ... you must be attending a super-dead church if you show up and the message does not come across. Plenty of pastors are making a huge effort, in my opinion.

Anyone who is standing alone with their faith - they are taking a big risk of being blown away in the next strong wind. The spiritual war that is happening in Earth now is very strong; this is not a time for isolated belief.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I've heard a few people say now that, "going to (a) church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in garage makes you a car"...

So, If going to (a) church doesn't make you a Christian, then what does...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

The desire of assemblage comes after wanting to follow Christ, one can't truly fellowship effectively if there's no desire to be part of it. So wanting to follow Christ and believing in Him and your relationship with Christ is what make you Christian. Naturally you would want to be around those on the same page, for we are not created to be in insolation.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not going to a church with teaching authority means reading the Bible, and believing and doing whatever you think it says. What one person thinks it says may be far different from what another person thinks it says. Which is why there are thousands of conflicting denominations in Protestantism. Which is why Jesus Christ founded one Church, said it was to remain one, and promise that one Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me"

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you guys for all your replies,

I was up late last night and was planing to go to a certain church in the morning, and I intended to just stay up till morning and do so, but I didn't make it, because around about four in the morning, I feel asleep and was to tired to stay up or go...

I apologized to the Lord for it and I told Him and He knew I fully intended to, but just didn't make it...

He understood and understands, but I think He does want me to put forth some effort to go, if and when I can...

I am certainly glad he is gentle with me and doesn't try to force or make me do anything...

But, I do feel like I need to start going and trying to make it a regular thing soon, as I feel like that is what He is saying (to me) as well...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've heard a few people say now that, "going to (a) church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in garage makes you a car"...

Comments...?

God Bless!
Hi Neogaia,
The Presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit of God is what truly makes us a Christian. We must be all experience a birth from above, if we are truly going to belong to Christ. It is His nature abiding within us that overcomes the nature of the fall and restores us to fellowship with the Father, through faith in Christ, who died for all of us.

• Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
  • Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
  • Galatians 4:6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”
  • Ephesians 3:15-18 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
  • John 3:5-8 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
In Christ, Patrick

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Comments...?

God Bless!
You must be born again John 3:3. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was up late last night and was planing to go to a certain church in the morning, and I intended to just stay up till morning and do so, but I didn't make it, because around about four in the morning, I feel asleep and was to tired to stay up or go...

I apologized to the Lord for it and I told Him and He knew I fully intended to, but just didn't make it...

He understood and understands, but I think He does want me to put forth some effort to go, if and when I can...

I am certainly glad he is gentle with me and doesn't try to force or make me do anything...

But, I do feel like I need to start going and trying to make it a regular thing soon, as I feel like that is what He is saying (to me) as well...

God Bless!
Set an alarm clock! That always helps!

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AliveinChrist99

AliveinChrist99
Nov 3, 2018
England
✟18,462.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is being born again...?

God Bless!
It’s having a heart that follows Jesus instead of yourself
It comes with knowing God more
The more you know him the more your heart wants Jesus and to live for him in his ways.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Being born again is being renewed by God.

A person is born of God when they believe on Jesus (John 1:12, 1 John 5:1).
"Committing to a process of being renewed or transformed, and/or changed by God", or what...? And in the moment of (that) commitment being born again...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Committing to a process of being renewed or transformed, and/or changed by God, or what...?

God Bless!
Salvation is not a commitment made on our part, it's a free gift offered by God. All we must do is receive that gift by faith (Romans 5:1-2). The glory of our salvation belongs to God alone, for none can boast against him (Ephesians 2:9).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s all about the heart draw near to God and he will renew your heart so you can live your life for him and love him.
Go to church, read the Bible, pray you will fall more and more in love with Jesus and you will be born again
That's not biblical. The Bible is clear that he who believes in Jesus Christ is born again (1 John 5:1, John 1:12). If what you were saying were true, then salvation would be by works, but it's not of anything we do (Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5).

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Salvation is not a commitment made on our part, it's a free gift offered by God.

So God predestines you/me/us to make that commitment...?

All we must do is receive that gift by faith (Romans 5:1-2).

How does one do that or receive it...? Any kind of act of our own will at all in or on that part...? Or not...?

The glory of our salvation belongs to God alone, for none can boast against him (Ephesians 2:9).

Agree...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

God Bless!

Well, its good to examine ( and I do it as well) periodically what is my driving force to go, and what about going to church doesn't compel me to go. Sometimes it's out of routine and habit that we do things, but I think we should be mindful and intentional with the time we spend when we come together, and put it under subjection of God word. Such as, am I really tarrying my brother or sister in Christ? Am I furthering this ministry that I'm a part of? Do I even stand behind it? What can I do to better serve people in the congregation? Why am I even going to church, what is the goal, what do I want to have achieved here?

When we live intentional, with set goals in mind, i think it lifts alot of the emotional barriers we tend to give ourselves and help us be more fruitful in our actions.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, its good to examine ( and I do it as well) periodically what is my driving force to go, and what about going to church doesn't compel me to go. Sometimes it's out of routine and habit that we do things, but I think we should be mindful and intentional with the time we spend when we come together, and put it under subjection of God word. Such as, am I really tarrying my brother or sister in Christ? Am I furthering this ministry that I'm a part of? Do I even stand behind it? What can I do to better serve people in the congregation? Why am I even going to church, what is the goal, what do I want to have achieved here?

When we live intentional, with set goals in mind, i think it lifts alot of the emotional barriers we tend to give ourselves and help us be more fruitful in our actions.
Good questions to ask ourselves (myself) and/or to keep in mind...

Thanks,

God Bless!

Upvote 0