Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I find it interesting that I've been seeing a lot of Christians lately talking about our need to resist the government in order to protect our rights, while I've seen many atheists and agnostics talking about our duty to protect our neighbors. Something seems to have gone wrong here somewhere.

Given the inverse correlation between moral decision making and religious conservatives, I can't say I'm surprised.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then protect yourself. Do what you feel is needed to keep yourself safe. And all is good in the world.
Exactly. Just like if people want to drink alcohol while driving - that's their constitutional right to do it. If you're afraid, protect yourself, do what you feel is needed to keep yourself safe. And all is good in the world with drinking alcohol while driving.

Same for my 2nd Amendment rights. If I feel like walking into your child's school with my guns, that's my Constitutionally protected RIGHT to do so. If you feel in danger, do what you need to protect yourself and your kids, but don't infringe on my 2A rights.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ahhh yes.

The "I'm going against the herd, therefore my position is inherently more righteous and certainly correct" argument.

Just like flat earthers....

...Though, flat earthers are pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things, when compared to say...NAZI'S as an example of "group-think" (herd mindset) people.

Groupthink - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In all actuality, group-think should be everyone's enemy, whether it involves political affiliation, nationalism, religion or atheism.

...Whether there is a "democratic hoax" as described in the OP that can be logically validated or not, the potential for group-think in any scenario is always worth checking out, even if its actually a Republican inspired hoax, to be fair.

IOW, awareness of the concept is primary.

Last edited:
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
...Though, flat earthers are pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things, when compared to say...NAZI'S as an example of "group-think" (herd mindset) people.

Groupthink - Wikipedia
What does Nazism have to do with anything?

Are you trying to Godwin?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I just think, "I don't want to get sick." It's not any more complicated than that.

For me its more like "I don't want to get sick and this is something simple I can do to help keep others from getting sick from me."

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I find it interesting that I've been seeing a lot of Christians lately talking about our need to resist the government in order to protect our rights, while I've seen many atheists and agnostics talking about our duty to protect our neighbors. Something seems to have gone wrong here somewhere.

As a non-believer I can say that as a child and young adult, I read the Bible and took a good portion of the overarching moral message to heart.

My lack of belief in God and suspicion who gets to speak for it doesn't mean I thought the whole religion had nothing to offer.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Testing the Efficacy of Homemade Masks: Would They Protect in an Influenza Pandemic? - PubMed
Their conclusion: Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection.

Unfortunately we don’t have enough N95 masks to go around in this country so a lot of us have to make do with what we have.

And there is the rub. We have known about this China Virus for going on six months. We have the most intelligent and smartest President ever elected to public office with the biggest crowds and most support ever. We still have a robust manufacturing capability. Why do we still not have enough of these easy to make N95 masks?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have been, and haven't gotten sick myself. Despite that, I'm not so self-centered to think that fact negates the deaths of tens of thousands of my fellow Americans.

Good for you. Must be wonderful to be better than everyone who disagrees with you. I haven't gotten sick ether, but Im still a self centered evil person.

I'll just point out that other conspiracy theories require us to believe the death rate is much lower because many people who are infected don't show symptoms.

It potentially hits on #1 in the list here : People who believe COVID-19 conspiracies have these 7 tendencies

I get pulled into discussing death rates, masks and so on. Because people like yourself will not stop using it as some sort of talking point. This being a flagrant violation of civil liberties and constitutional rights is not a conspiracy theory.

It is known that even flu, heart attacks, what have you are all counted as cv deaths. So the number is fake.

Here's a decent overview of one set of sources - Excess mortality from the Coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19)

This is another projection. It is not 2+2=4 fact. It is a hypothisis based on multiple factors. A guess.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would assume you believe only you were in the right? By that logic, you were the sole victor. You are the only winner in that scenario. Be happy you are smarter than other people, and keep keeping safe.

Being right isn't the goal, but rather the safety ourselves and others is.

From Greek mythology: Cassandra could predict the future but was cursed to not be believed.
Cassandra - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Good for you. Must be wonderful to be better than everyone who disagrees with you. I haven't gotten sick ether, but Im still a self centered evil person.

This pity party victimization complex of yours that other people who think you're wrong might tell you so and tell you why they think so is pretty tiring.

It's a thing people do in society, they judge you based on your actions and reasoning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you have a citation from either of those groups saying they are inflating COVID-19 numbers?

Dr. Deborah Birx | Recording Covid-19 as Cause of Death No Matter What

Dr. Ngozi Ezike | How COVID Deaths are Classified

I’m not trying to force you into destitution. I’m asking you to wear a mask while you work and to try to maintain social distancing. Your line of work actually does something I think can still function fairly well in our current situation. The issue you’ll run into is the down economy but the only way that bounces back is if people feel confident things aren’t going to get worse. The part you can play in moving that along is wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing.

I don't know what I need to do to get people to understand I do not care about PPEs, or CDC advisments. They are not an issue. The lockdown is the issue.

Don’t beat yourself up over this.

I'm not. I'm stating how people act towards me, and state that I am.

We all are stressed by this pandemic. We all want to get back to normal. I’d love for my wife to be able to be working again and that I can go to work a full five days a week. But I and a a lot of other people realize that if we just throw everything open and ignore social distancing precautions, we’ll be doing this lockdown all over again because the virus isn’t gone. This is part of living a civilized society, sometimes we need to do things we don’t want to do because it is for the greater good.

No, this needs to end. We don't ever need to do this again in this manner.

There is no coup. There is a pandemic going on. Whoever is telling you this lying to you.

Yeah, sure..

Kavanaugh, Stormy Daniels, Pee Pee tapes, Russian collusion, Steele Dossier ect...

Pick a topic... any topic for the last 5 years I could not copy/paste the arguments from others against me as a fitting response to what I am now stating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet they took my freedom to do so openly. They took my freedom to follow my faith in truth.
Satan worshipers who believe in child sacrifice can complain about the exact same thing.

However, in either case, "they" did no such thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My love affair with my own knowledge isn't as strong as yours.

Awsome... but my question is did you form that opinion you just posted based on someone else's views? Or your own?

Are you really unable to differentiate between Jesus's fruit and the fruit of a habitual antagonized?

You were talking about people being contentious. I was stating individuals that do not even want to hear a certain topic, statement what have you, get offended, and believe the individual is contentious.

Uhhhh....."Murdering" is not a character flaw.

Actually it is, but you do not have to judge a man to judge actions.

This reads like an automatic response to someone who said the words "white" and "black" on the same sentence without considering the whole sentence. Again, there are plenty of black folks who identify exactly with what you said as a day to day experience. But instead of seeing that you went to victim because it was pointed out. It's so snowflakey

I reads like an individual that is sick and tired of hearing about race. I am absolutely sick of it. If people would stop being so racist in their own worldview they would stop seeing it in every single situation everywhere.

They did. It's called a "health code".

There is no legislation or code against opening up a business.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does Nazism have to do with anything?

Are you trying to Godwin?

Nah, that'd be childish, IMHO.

...Just trying to offer new perspectives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s threads like these that lead me to believe we’ll probably never make it out of this crisis again. Not as one, united country.

I think if we could get people to acknowledge group-think as a concept, people could learn to adapt their personal lives around it and end the bipartisan nature of the country forever.

Upvote 0

Emsmom1

Nov 6, 2019
Los Angeles
✟41,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No. This is just sentiment for one to feel good about themselves. If you are not sick... you have nothing to spread. You're Not providing a service. It literally just makes people feel like they are doing something which makes them feel like a good person.

Covid-19 is not aerosol transmissible. (airborn) An air filtration mask does nothing to stop an individual from contracting a non airborne virus.

The paper/cloth masks themselves do not filter down to a low enough particulate (micron) to even filter out the virus. You need a biological vapers half mask, and cartrage at the least.

At this point, a paper/cloth mask is nothing more than a totem or a charm that gives the weare a sense of comfort. It is an item that make the individual 'feel' safer. A security blanket.

Even N95 means 95% effective. 5% still gets thru. You need N 100 to get 99.99% still, some gets thru and it is not down to a small enough micron to filter covid-19.

Better educated and hated, than following in ignorance.
Dr. Deborah Birx: Here's what she had to say about Trump wearing a mask - CNNPolitics
"What we have said to people is there is clear scientific evidence now, by all the droplet experiments that happened, and that others have done, to show that a mask does prevent droplets from reaching others," Birx said on "Fox News Sunday" when asked what she would tell people who say they have a right not to wear a mask in public."

Upvote 0