New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How much older than a year old? Not all babies are walking at a year, she's not necessarily delayed. Up to about 16 months is within the normal range...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T107100.asp
http://www.parenting.com/parenting/baby/article/0,19840,648149,00.html

Sears had these suggestions for facilitating walking:

While you don't need to teach your baby to walk, you can become what we call a "facilitator," which means you don't do it for the child but you create conditions that help the child do it better for herself. You can reinforce your baby's walking skills by taking her hands and letting her walk between both parents. Then, while she's holding onto one parent with each hand, you gradually let go of one hand and then the other, while at the same time encouraging her verbally to walk. Be a cheerleader for her walking skills. Stand arm's length away from Baby, hold out your hands, and give an encouraging "Come to mama." Some normal late walkers will find that crawling is speedier than walking, and she may crawl toward you instead of walking and then climb up your leg. When she climbs into a standing position, hold her by one hand and gradually let go as you back away from her, encouraging her to walk toward you. Do this as a fun game, so that your baby learns that it is fun to walk.

Upvote 0

katelyn

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2003
✟17,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter is 13 months and has only taken a handful of steps. For her I think it is a mental rather than physical barrier to overcome - she's afraid of falling. I encourage her by sitting just a few feet in front of her and asking her to come to me. Mostly she won't, but at least it gets her thinking about it and helps her know that I believe that she can.

Upvote 0

Utah Knight

A friend to all
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Just north of Salt Lake City Utah
✟90,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
wanderingone said:
How much older than a year old? Not all babies are walking at a year, she's not necessarily delayed. Up to about 16 months is within the normal range...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T107100.asp
http://www.parenting.com/parenting/baby/article/0,19840,648149,00.html

Sears had these suggestions for facilitating walking:

she is 13.5 months old and she pulls herself up on furniture and our legs and walks that way she also walks along side of the furniture but she refuses to let go

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tribulation saint said:
she is 13.5 months old and she pulls herself up on furniture and our legs and walks that way she also walks along side of the furniture but she refuses to let go
This doesn't sound like a developmental thing, but a confidence thing. She'll eventually get the confidence and do it, probably all at once!

If you're wanting to try to help her, take her to the middle of the room, and let go, putting your hands a couple of inches away from hers, or have her practice holding on with only one hand, if she's not doing so yet.

Rachel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Utah Knight

A friend to all
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
✟90,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Robinsegg said:
This doesn't sound like a developmental thing, but a confidence thing. She'll eventually get the confidence and do it, probably all at once!

If you're wanting to try to help her, take her to the middle of the room, and let go, putting your hands a couple of inches away from hers, or have her practice holding on with only one hand, if she's not doing so yet.

Rachel

he is holding on with one hand and she lets go once in a great wile fo about a half a second

Upvote 0

Zoomer

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟12,330.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't worry since she is pulling up and walking holding on. I found with my children that they tended to either focus on physical or verbal. My daugther starting talking at 9 months but did not walk until 13/14 months. However, my son started walking at 10 months but did not really start talking until closer to 18 months. There is a large range of normal, and she will let go of the furniture when she is ready.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tribulation saint said:

Oh she sounds right on track, as long as she's pulling herself up and walking holding on that means everything seems to be working okay :) she's doing exactly what pre-walkers do.

My youngest took her first steps just before turning 1, but didn't really walk independently without holding on until about 14 months, we had a big sectional couch that was a u-shape and basically she just walked along it to get around the room for a long time :)

Upvote 0

Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My daughter had a problem with confidence when she first started walking. I got one of those push toys, too, thinking it would help. We got home with it, tookit out ofthe box, and shev walked around BACKWARDS with it for about 5 minutes. And that was it! She was vertical from then on! =)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhylla

Apr 12, 2006
✟7,905.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my son walked after his first birthday, was cruising around furniture before that.
My daughter decided to get up and charge across the floor to get to her brother at 10 months. didn't ever cruise.
My friends youngest didnt crawl much and didnt even THINK about walking til 16 months... all perfectly normal :)

-Rhylla-

Upvote 0

Utah Knight

A friend to all
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
✟90,009.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ProfessorMom said:
Sometimes I think waiting for a baby to begin walking on his/her own is like the old saying, "A watched pot never boils." Don't worry, considering that he's walking along the furniture, he'll be walking, I'd venture to say, within a month or so.

i hope she (not he) will soon

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tribulation saint said:

She's doing fine!

Here's the truth about parents telling you what their kids did when... we forget and as impossible as this seems to you now, we don't easily remember which baby did what. Unless we kept incredible records, we forget exactly when our kids walked or rolled over or were potty trained or read their first word. BUT, we do know that our child was exceptional and wonderful and so when we "remember" we may "remember" things happening a little earlier, a little sooner, than actually happened.

Upvote 0

J0hnSm1th

Jan 12, 2006
Australia
✟2,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tribulation saint said:
My oldest was still doing that until 17 months. Dont worry about it.

Upvote 0