Parents say Orlando pastor whipped most of the kids in a 4th grade class with belt at private school

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Kinshasa Felix said her daughter was also whipped and said her daughter had been accused of drawing pictures of children and passing them around the class.

“What makes a man to want to whip a kid like that?” Felix asked.

Felix said when she withdrew her daughter, the school provided a form for her to sign, signaling the purpose of the withdrawal was for academic reasons.

Felix, pulling out the paper, said she forced the secretary to write “child abuse” on the line marked “other,” and demanded the sheet be photocopied before she left. [<--- now there's some mama bear action I can get behind]

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'm confused, because Christians believe spare the rod, spoil the child. So, what did these parents expect to happen to their children for not behaving.
FTA with one of the other moms: She displayed a copy of the school’s handbook, which also didn’t mention whipping as a form of allowable punishment.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
FTA with one of the other moms: She displayed a copy of the school’s handbook, which also didn’t mention whipping as a form of allowable punishment.
Common sense, should have made the parents ask a Christian school, what kind of discipline do they do. Yes, they might leave things out, because of government laws.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Common sense, should have made the parents ask a Christian school, what kind of discipline do they do. Yes, they might leave things out, because of government laws.
Even if a parent believes in corporal punishment that doesn't mean they allow other people to administer it on their children. They may also have strong feelings against using certain weapons such as belts.

Common sense tells me that a school would include this information in the school handbook and also in the information they give parents before their child enters the school. If not they are leaving themselves open to a lawsuit.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1699134202329.png

Incoming "Well, my parents did and I turned out fine" replies in 3... 2... 1...

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm confused, because Christians believe spare the rod, spoil the child. So, what did these parents expect to happen to their children for not behaving.
From the link:

“Martin said [her son] Walker attended the school for seven years, beginning when he was a toddler. She said nothing of this nature had ever happened before, and she never consented to physical punishment.

She displayed a copy of the school’s handbook, which also didn’t mention whipping as a form of allowable punishment.

She said Gray, while a pastor of the church, was not involved in the day-to-day operations of the school.

“The pastor should have been arrested last night,” she said, angrily, and announced she had pulled her son out of the school.”

It would seem that the pastor injected himself into the situation and decided for parents to beat their children with a belt.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,321.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I would have to work very hard not to take what I would consider the appropriate response to someone whipping my child, but I would most definitely expect him to be officially charged with assault. If not, then there'd be a civil case a-coming.

• Agree
Reactions: adrianmonk
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
From the link:

“Martin said [her son] Walker attended the school for seven years, beginning when he was a toddler. She said nothing of this nature had ever happened before, and she never consented to physical punishment.

She displayed a copy of the school’s handbook, which also didn’t mention whipping as a form of allowable punishment.

She said Gray, while a pastor of the church, was not involved in the day-to-day operations of the school.

“The pastor should have been arrested last night,” she said, angrily, and announced she had pulled her son out of the school.”

It would seem that the pastor injected himself into the situation and decided for parents to beat their children with a belt.
If a pastor did that to my daughter, I would be down to the police station to file a complaint before my feet hit the floor!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who 1) is a strong advocate for religious freedom and 2) had children attend Christian schools k-12, the comments that parents should assume physical hitting with a belt might be used are absurd. Even more absurd is that is saying it is understandable why the school might not put that in writing but parents should know to ask.

If it happened to my kid, yeah, I’m calling the police right away, as we should with any abuse. Love that parent made them photocopy the added “child abuse” reason.

This will not end well for the school and even more so for the pastor.

Upvote 0