United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gordon Sondland breaks with Trump in impeachment testimony

Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, broke sharply from President Donald Trump on Thursday, telling House impeachment investigators that he opposed the president’s request to run Ukraine policy through his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani.

“We were also disappointed by the president’s direction that we involve Mr. Giuliani,” Sondland told congressional investigators, according to his opening statement, which was obtained by POLITICO.

Sondland testified that he contacted Giuliani anyway at Trump’s direction after a May 23 meeting at the White House, and that Giuliani drew a direct link between scheduling a White House visit for Ukraine’s newly elected president and demands that Ukraine prioritize investigations targeting Trump’s political rivals, including former Vice President Joe Biden.

“Mr. Giuliani emphasized that the president wanted a public statement from President [Volodymyr ] Zelensky committing Ukraine to look into anti-corruption issues,” Sondland said.

“Mr. Giuliani specifically mentioned the 2016 election (including the DNC server) and Burisma as two anti-corruption investigatory topics of importance for the president,” he added.

Biden’s son Hunter sat on the board of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company that had faced international scrutiny, but there is no evidence that either Biden or his son acted improperly. The “server” Sondland mentioned is a reference to the debunked theory, amplified by Trump and Giuliani, that Ukraine, not Russia, interfered in the 2016 election.

I think Trump's obstruction of an investigation is crumbling.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sounds more like Trump was seeking to have an investigation.

Headed by his personal lawyer with no official government position? To what end?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Headed by his personal lawyer with no official government position? To what end?
That is the key thing. I think Bolton needs to speak up more.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

To find out what happened? I think that is supposed to be the purpose of an investigation. Judging by Schiff's behavior though I may be mistaken on that.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"US Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland was directed by President Donald Trump to work with Rudy Giuliani on Ukraine, he told Congress on Thursday, and was left with a choice: Abandon efforts to bolster a key strategic alliance or work to satisfy the demands of the President's personal lawyer."

Foreign policy is supposed to be for the benefit of We the People, not Trump.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To find out what happened? I think that is supposed to be the purpose of an investigation. Judging by Schiff's behavior though I may be mistaken on that.
It wasn't a simple request for information.
Trump withheld military aid approved by congress.
Trump, then, in a phone call, when that aid was brought up, said, "I want you to do a favor, though'...and then went on to discuss Biden. From what we have from other witnesses, Zelensky was hoping for a visit to the US, an invite, as well.

So we have Trump requesting a foreign government to investigate a political opponent and his son.
That is illegal.

Then there is Guilani and his dubious shadow diplomacy and conspiracy theories.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two Ukrainian associates of Giuliani were arrested after they illegally contributed thousands of dollars of campaign money to a Republican superpac. It is illegal for US politicians to solicit foreigners for campaign contributions in the form of goods or services. Trump was caught asking the president of Ukraine to find damaging information about the Biden family. Giuliani was acting as a lobbiest without registering with the Federal government.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then a real investigation would be in order. That's the very thing that Pelosi has said she will not allow.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Then a real investigation would be in order. That's the very thing that Pelosi has said she will not allow.

This is a real Congressional investigation.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A real investigation is happening, despite claims to the contrary. The committees are investigating. There is no constitutional requirement for the House to vote on an impeachment inquiry and the House rules changed after Clinton's impeachment. AND prior to the Clinton impeachment, a special counsel investigated and made recommendations to the House. Mueller did not investigate the Ukraine call, because he was done prior to it. So the House committees are investigating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Wouldn't an investigation be handled by, say, the Department of Justice, as opposed to one of Donald's personal hirelings?

Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0