Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You have hawks in your house and through wrenches at your hamster? That’s awful...

My son’s hamster just does these things.

All in fun.. got tired of being so serious for a moment.

• Haha
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's the wall opponents who you have to convince about the campaign being more about symbolism and signaling than about effective policy.

I don't think anyone that isn't convinced needs to be. Opinion or understanding is inconsequential to the reality of building the wall. Individuals do not need to understand or condone it, as long as it is built.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think anyone that isn't convinced needs to be. Opinion or understanding is inconsequential to the reality of building the wall. Individuals do not need to understand or condone it, as long as it is built.

If enough individuals don't condone it, good luck getting the people elected to represent them to fund it.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't remember writing anything about something being stopped or not. Where do you come up with this stuff?

That's an honest question. I do not need to trap people, or 'come up with stuff'.

Do you think the private funding and/or construction of the wall, will be stopped?

If enough individuals don't condone it, good luck getting the people elected to represent them to fund it.

We do not elect private citizenry. You kind of go right around the bureaucracy that way, and can't really stop private citizens who are engaged in the action. They have the right to spend money as they chose, and private businesses have the right to build and or supply the wall.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,326.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That's an honest question. I do not need to trap people, or 'come up with stuff'.

Do you think the private funding and/or construction of the wall, will be stopped?

We do not elect private citizenry. You kind of go right around the bureaucracy that way, and can't really stop private citizens who are engaged in the action. They have the right to spend money as they chose, and private businesses have the right to build and or supply the wall.
They do, but I doubt private citizens have the resources to build this wall, especially since the people who own the land might not want to sell and eminent domain requires a government actor.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They do, but I doubt private citizens have the resources to build this wall, especially since the people who own the land might not want to sell and eminent domain requires a government actor.

For the most part it is the general labor, skilled labor, heavy equipment, blue collar industries, and mill owners that support both Trump and the wall.

We already own 10 feet on either side of the current border. 20 feet in all. It can be worked with.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Who do you think?

If I knew who you were talking about, I wouldn't have asked.

Is "we":

The federal government?
State governments?
Private citizens?
Some combination of all of the above?

If it's private citizens, are they all Trump supporters? Are they all wall supporters?

It's not a hard concept or revelation to understand what I am saying.

Your overall point isn't difficult to understand, but it seems to me that there are some glaring weaknesses in the assumptions upon which your point is founded. Before I described just how silly your assumptions are, I wanted to make sure I had understood them correctly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I knew who you were talking about, I wouldn't have asked.

The wall is getting built one way or another by those that want the wall. That's not hard to understand.

It is much easier to say 'we' or 'us' to refer to a 'side' or 'like minded individuals' then to speak in semantics and legalise.

Your overall point isn't difficult to understand,

No kidding... It's blatant.

Before I described just how silly your assumptions are, I wanted to make sure I had understood them correctly.

No need to understand, because I do not care about how silly you think they are. This is the reality. The wall is getting built.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Now that the wall guy has spirited off with your money, how does it feel to get hoodwinked? I know a lot of people are laughing at their friends and family who donated with an "I told you so."

Where is your proof Kolfage "has spirited off with your money"?

This is either a lie used to dissuade individuals or an honest mistake, but not reality.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

This is either a lie used to dissuade individuals or an honest mistake, but not reality.

Yeah, I was intrigued by that claim and tried to look it up and found nothing about it. More fake news that we have to be on the lookout for.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

He's spirited off with your money because he turned the fund into his little non-profit. Yeah, no one saw that coming...

People giving money now aren't building any funds for a wall, they're simply throwing their money into the ether.

Here's a pretty good rundown of the scam:

GoFundMe Campaign for Wall Falls Apart
Speaking of the wall and delusions, ultra-right-wing activist Brian Kolfage, trading to some extent on his status as an injured veteran, started a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds to build Donald Trump's wall. Though the President seeks over $5 billion, the site has an upper limit of $1 billion, so Kolfage started there. He got up to $20 million or so before GoFundMe stepped in and effectively shut things down.

There were a bunch of problems with Kolfage's scheme. First, a private citizen or charity or company cannot simply give money to the government. Congress not only controls accounts payable, they also control accounts receivable. So, they would have to vote to accept the money, which isn't happening. Second, there was zero chance that Kolfage's campaign would raise anything more than a drop in the bucket, overall. Even $20 million, which is pretty impressive, is less than 0.3% of what Trump wants, and likely less than 0.015% of what the wall would actually cost. Third, and finally, Kolfage has past instances of collecting donations for a political cause, only to have the money disappear into the ether.

Anyhow, having collected his $20 million under possibly false pretenses, Kolfage set up a private concern called We Build the Wall, Inc., last week. He redirected all of the donations to it, saying that he and his "team" would begin private construction, since the government wasn't going to accept a check. That is when GoFundMe stepped in; they said this was a violation of their terms of service, and that donors would get their money back unless they specifically instructed that the donation be rerouted to We Build the Wall. Even if the newly-created company is legitimate, they are not going to achieve anything with just a few million dollars and no eminent domain power. And given Kolfage's past, it's pretty likely that We Build the Wall is going to turn into We Pay for Brian's New House and Tropical Vacation. Nonetheless, there's a good chance that he hangs on to at least a million or two. Remember the line about a fool and his money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He's spirited off with your money because he turned the fund into his little non-profit. Yeah, no one saw that coming...

Both topics for the non-profit and giving funds to the Gov were discussed in congress and the tresuary dept before the go fund me even began.

People giving money now aren't building any funds for a wall, they're simply throwing their money into the ether.

Opinion, of which you cannot back up with hard fact.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Opinion, of which you cannot back up with hard fact.

Is there a timeline you have in mind that would constitute whether the project is a failure or success?

5 miles of 20+ foot tall border wall built by January 1st 2022?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is there a timeline you have in mind that would constitute whether the project is a failure or success?

5 miles of 20+ foot tall border wall built by January 1st 2022?

I guess I would call it a failure if it fails to deliver. I'm not hardset on a timeline. One cannot even be established yet because of the opposition.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I guess I would call it a failure if it fails to deliver. I'm not hardset on a timeline. One cannot even be established yet because of the opposition.

If it fails to deliver what? 10 miles of wall? 1 mile of wall? 100 feet of wall?

What's opposition got to do with it? You have money and volunteers.

How about a smaller goal. From the FAQ: "We are beginning extensive due diligence and the commencement of feasibility studies and will be engaging leading experts in a variety of fields necessary to construct our Border Wall. These professionals will continue to provide us with critical guidance on the legal, engineering, contracting, environmental, accounting, maintenance, and real estate issues required to build a Wall along the Southern Border."

How long until they have absorbed all this information and produced their timeline for the project?

Upvote 0