Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I quoted it. You quoted it. Here, I'll make the font bigger.

RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families, and refugees.

Oh good, unlike the wall proprietor we know this organization is a scam. It's not like this is the kind of crime you can lawyer your way out of lol. You're either here illegally or not. I suppose they could get you deported with less or no jail time...that might be worth your dollars.

I imagine most of them that come to their attention have already been entered into the legal system, and this is why they require legal assistance.

They should provide the difference in results between themselves and the public defenders. Let people see what they get for their $.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh good, unlike the wall proprietor we know this organization is a scam. It's not like this is the kind of crime you can lawyer your way out of lol. You're either here illegally or not. I suppose they could get you deported with less or no jail time...that might be worth your dollars.

People have a legal right to apply for asylum if they're inside the US, whether they're here legally or not. And there are other ways in which a person could need legal assistance with an immigration issue - visas can expire or be terminated for other reasons.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
They should provide the difference in results between themselves and the public defenders. Let people see what they get for their $.

As we've already discussed, they are not necessarily eligible for public defenders. But we do know that about 20% of the asylum seekers have no representation and "Without representation, the deck is stacked against an asylum seeker. Statistically, only one out of every ten win their case. With representation, nearly half are successful."

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
$1 million in two days? $182.5 million in one year. OK, in about 28 years there will be enough to match the $5 billion that Trump wants now. This does not factor in inflation or leap years.
I understand that we can't control how other people respond to a post, but 5 people at this time used the funny icon in response to what you wrote.

Would it be just as funny to figure out how the numbers for a go fund me campaign would work for things like government health care, pension plans etc... ?

I would hap hazard a reasonable guess that the two I've mentioned would reflect a rather sad state of affairs. However if I had my way, a separate pension plan for politicians should come from a go fund me by the people.

The words, poetic justice come to mind specifically for the latter and I wish there were an icon for that!

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I? I gave to no GoFundMe's at all.

Sorry, I didn't mean "you" specifically....just generally towards anyone reading.

These are not criminal cases. "Unlike criminal defendants, indigent detained immigrants do not have a right to an attorney under the U.S. Constitution."

That's all going to depend on where and when they entered (as some states prosecute illegal entry as a misdemeanor). Regardless of that though....when you said this...

"Everyone, including guilty criminals, deserves competent legal representation."

You were just stating your opinion on the matter?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
People have a legal right to apply for asylum if they're inside the US, whether they're here legally or not.

No lawyer needed for that...in fact, I'd question the validity of the claim.

What's worse though, is that if asylum claims continue to be abused as they are now...we may end up seeing significant revisions to the asylum process.

And there are other ways in which a person could need legal assistance with an immigration issue - visas can expire or be terminated for other reasons.

That's true....but I think a lot of donors would find that misleading. They probably think they're assisting central Americans crossing the border, not some student from Lithuania who forgot to renew his visa.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No lawyer needed for that...

You arguably don't need a lawyer for a lot of things. That doesn't mean they aren't helpful.

in fact, I'd question the validity of the claim.

Don't you work in law enforcement?

What's worse though, is that if asylum claims continue to be abused as they are now...we may end up seeing significant revisions to the asylum process.

The right to apply for asylum is guaranteed by law, not merely regulation or discretionary policy. While I'm not denying that there are issues with the process, with Dems in control of the house and a handful of Republican senators reluctant to get pulled into the anti-immigrant frenzy, I doubt any substantial restrictions will get pushed through any time soon.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Everyone, including guilty criminals, deserves competent legal representation."

You were just stating your opinion on the matter?

Yes, my opinion is that everyone in some sort of legal process should have representation.

The Sixth Amendment provides such as a right in criminal processes. Asylum proceedings are not a criminal matter of guilt or innocence. We know that 20% of asylum seekers do not have representation. I still maintain the opinion that they should, but recognize they do not have that as a right.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Not a GoFundMe, but some grandstanders in the WV legislature have introduced a bill to take $10M of their state's budget and put it towards the wall.

The delegates said one of the most pressing issues facing West Virginia right now is the rampant drug problem. They say the problem is fueled by the trafficking of highly potent, illicit drugs across the U.S.-Mexico border.

“We have been in contact with multiple law enforcement officers and judges about the drug epidemic, and every single one has told us 90 percent of the drugs coming to our state are coming in from Mexico,” Delegate Carl Martin said.

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Not a GoFundMe, but some grandstanders in the WV legislature have introduced a bill to take $10M of their state's budget and put it towards the wall.

The delegates said one of the most pressing issues facing West Virginia right now is the rampant drug problem. They say the problem is fueled by the trafficking of highly potent, illicit drugs across the U.S.-Mexico border.

“We have been in contact with multiple law enforcement officers and judges about the drug epidemic, and every single one has told us 90 percent of the drugs coming to our state are coming in from Mexico,” Delegate Carl Martin said.
What a bunch of pandering jokers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

They probably are coming in from Mexico (now, anyways).

https://defenseoversight.wola.org/primarydocs/161206_dea_ndta.pdf

Drug Smuggling and Transportation Methods Mexican TCOs transport the majority of their illicit drugs into the United States over land through the SWB using a wide array of smuggling techniques. The most common method employed by Mexican TCOs involves transporting drugs in vehicles through U.S. ports of entry (POEs). Illicit drugs are smuggled into the United States in concealed compartments within passenger vehicles or commingled with legitimate goods on tractor trailers. Increasingly, Mexican TCOs are transporting illicit drugs, such as methamphetamine and cocaine, dissolved in liquids across the SWB. Once across the border, Mexican TCOs coordinate for illicit drug shipments to be routed to stash houses near the SWB, where they are divided into smaller shipments and sent to distribution points throughout the United States.

Other cross-border smuggling techniques employed by Mexican TCOs include the use of subterranean tunnels, which originate in Mexico and lead into safe-houses on the U.S. side of the border. These tunnels are primarily used to smuggle ton quantities of marijuana, though there are instances of other illicit drugs commingled in these shipments. Tunnels seized and destroyed along the SWB are primarily found in California and Arizona, and are generally associated with the Sinaloa Cartel. As of March 2016, there have been a total of 225 tunnels discovered on U.S. borders since 1990: 224 on the SWB (185 of these crossed into the United States), one on the Northern Border (which crossed into the United States). In Fiscal Year (FY) 2015, eight tunnels were discovered, compared to 14 tunnels discovered in FY 2014.

Mexican TCOs also transport illicit drugs to the United States aboard commercial cargo trains and passenger buses. To a lesser extent, Mexican TCOs use small speedboats off the coast of California. Mexican TCOs also rely on traditional drug smuggling methods such as the use of backpackers, or “mules,” using clandestine land trails to cross remote areas of the SWB into the United States. This method often requires a network of scouts strategically placed along the SWB to detect and counter U.S. interdiction efforts.

Mexican TCOs exploit various aerial methods to transport illicit drugs across the SWB. These methods include the use of ultralight aircraft and unmanned aerial systems (UASs), or “drones,” to conduct air drops. Ultralights are primarily used to transport marijuana shipments, depositing the drugs in close proximity to the SWB. Currently, UASs can only convey small multi-kilogram amounts of illicit drugs at a time and are therefore not commonly used, though there is potential for increased growth and use.

I wish I could find a source that went into more detail as to exactly how much product is shipped via each method. All I can find is stuff like this that says "the majority" comes through POE's.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Lets not forget Montana. Republican Montana state Sen. Scott Sales confirmed to CNN on Tuesday that he will propose a bill that would allocate $8 million in state funds to help build Trump's border wall.

As I said before. The gofundme is not so much about the money. It gets the base going and sets a precedent. Soon it might be the NRA, other states and even veterans lodges like VFW chapters as well.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,683.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lets not forget Montana. Republican Montana state Sen. Scott Sales confirmed to CNN on Tuesday that he will propose a bill that would allocate $8 million in state funds to help build Trump's border wall.

Impressive. All we need is 625 more US states to donate that sort of money and we'll have the 5 billion Trump needs.

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Impressive. All we need is 625 more US states to donate that sort of money and we'll have the 5 billion Trump needs.

So... you still think it will be stopped? All the left has achieved is to give the right a shiny new ball to run in. Ever seen a motivated hamster? They will run for days.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
So... you still think it will be stopped? All the left has achieved is to give the right a shiny new ball to run in. Ever seen a motivated hamster? They will run for days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

My son has a hamster. Runs around in its ball going in random directions and never really achieving a goal.

Yup - sounds like the right and their quest for the wall.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My son has a hamster. Runs around in its ball going in random directions and never really achieving a goal.

Yup - sounds like the right and their quest for the wall.

It's not random... were dodging the hawks. If you can dodge a wrench, you can build a wall.

• Haha
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
It's not random... were dodging the hawks. If you can dodge a wrench, you can build a wall.
You have hawks in your house and through wrenches at your hamster? That’s awful...

My son’s hamster just does these things.

• Haha
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

As I said before. The gofundme is not so much about the money. It gets the base going and sets a precedent. Soon it might be the NRA, other states and even veterans lodges like VFW chapters as well.

I don't think it's the wall opponents who you have to convince about the campaign being more about symbolism and signaling than about effective policy.

Upvote 0