Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The wall is getting built one way or another by those that want the wall. That's not hard to understand.

It is much easier to say 'we' or 'us' to refer to a 'side' or 'like minded individuals' then to speak in semantics and legalise.

I'd like to point out that you didn't answer the question.

If you had said something more vague like "we'll get the wall built", then I wouldn't have even bothered asking because it would have been obvious that you were talking about the supporters in general and drilling down into the specifics like who exactly was going to drive the bulldozer would have been a level of pedantry that even I couldn't have stomached. (and I do love pedantry)

But that wasn't what you said. You said, "We already own 10 feet on either side of the current border." That's a really specific claim and I can't think of any group, public or private, that would fit that description.... Unless you've somehow built while I wasn't looking an international coalition of Americans and Mexicans that would make even Jimmy Carter sit up straight and take notice.

So, I'll ask again, who is this "we"?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If it fails to deliver what? 10 miles of wall? 1 mile of wall? 100 feet of wall?

What's opposition got to do with it? You have money and volunteers.

How about a smaller goal. From the FAQ: "We are beginning extensive due diligence and the commencement of feasibility studies and will be engaging leading experts in a variety of fields necessary to construct our Border Wall. These professionals will continue to provide us with critical guidance on the legal, engineering, contracting, environmental, accounting, maintenance, and real estate issues required to build a Wall along the Southern Border."

How long until they have absorbed all this information and produced their timeline for the project?

Right now the fund is fighting a crazy amount of opposition and even obstruction of any attempts whatsoever. The fund is not a fraud just because people are trying to rip it apart. It also isn't a failure if the money is used in a way that produces a barrier along the wall.

The only thing that would be wrong is if the money is misused.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to point out that you didn't answer the question.

If you had said something more vague like "we'll get the wall built", then I wouldn't have even bothered asking because it would have been obvious that you were talking about the supporters in general and drilling down into the specifics like who exactly was going to drive the bulldozer would have been a level of pedantry that even I couldn't have stomached. (and I do love pedantry)

But that wasn't what you said. You said, "We already own 10 feet on either side of the current border." That's a really specific claim and I can't think of any group, public or private, that would fit that description.... Unless you've somehow built while I wasn't looking an international coalition of Americans and Mexicans that would make even Jimmy Carter sit up straight and take notice.

So, I'll ask again, who is this "we"?

France, and intergalactic space monkeys.

Who is 'we' in 'we' own the actual American border? This is difficult for you?

Trick question... who owns the fence in this picture, the ground it sits on, and the rock gravel behind it?
upload_2019-1-18_17-28-45.png

There is plenty to start working on then isn't there?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The only thing that would be wrong is if the money is misused.

Let's explore this. From the FAQ:

How Much is Brian Kolfage getting paid?

In accordance with Mr. Kolfage’s personal pledge and the Bylaws of WeBuildTheWall Inc., Mr Kolfage will not profit even a single penny from We Build the Wall Inc.

Does this mean it would be a misuse of the money (a failure of the project) if Kolfage receives a salary or payment from the funds, even if it is in exchange for work performed?

Would it be a misuse of the money if one of the experts that Kolfage pays, then pays Kolfage a kickback?

Would it be a misuse of the money if Kolfage sells all your names and email addresses to marketing firms?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trick question... who owns the fence in this picture, the ground it sits on, and the rock gravel behind it?
View attachment 249485

I would guess the federal government.

France, and intergalactic space monkeys.

Who is 'we' in 'we' own the actual American border? This is difficult for you?

Is it too difficult for you to answer the question without a mocking tone? Or is that all you have because you can't answer it in a way that doesn't make you look foolish?

Because if you're assuming that "we" the federal government own the entire border, guess what, you're wrong. "We" don't. "We" own some of it, but we don't own all of it. Some of it is privately owned.

Private Landowners Along Trump's Proposed Border Wall Risk Losing Property

But hey, good luck building a wall across private property.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would guess the federal government.

Is it too difficult for you to answer the question without a mocking tone? Or is that all you have because you can't answer it in a way that doesn't make you look foolish?

Because if you're assuming that "we" the federal government own the entire border, guess what, you're wrong. "We" don't. "We" own some of it, but we don't own all of it. Some of it is privately owned.

Private Landowners Along Trump's Proposed Border Wall Risk Losing Property

But hey, good luck building a wall across private property.

I was trying to point out plenty of land is already own to begin.

As for seizing of land. You might want to look into the emergency powers concerning eminent domain. Especially concerning a crisis, where that land is determined to be necessary to counter the crisis.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As for seizing of land. You might want to look into the emergency powers concerning eminent domain. Especially concerning a crisis, where that land is determined to be necessary to counter the crisis.

While the government can "seize" land, the government is also Constitutionally required to reimburse the owners -- so it still requires money to obtain the land. And yes, of course, in areas where a border fence already exists the government already owns the land.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

1.) Again, owned by whom?

2.) Either way, then why didn't you just say that?

Eminent domain is a privilege afforded to the government and maybe, if I'm going to put my cynical hat on, rich developer friends of local politicians, not a non-profit like Kolfage is running. And even if I've got my cynic hat pulled down really far, $20M isn't remotely enough to buy an eminent domain seizure.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's an honest question. I do not need to trap people, or 'come up with stuff'.

Do you think the private funding and/or construction of the wall, will be stopped?

You really are all over the place. This question is in response to me doing the math on how significant a bit of proposed funding from a state government was, and now you're off talking about private funding? I really don't understand where this is supposed to be going.

We do not elect private citizenry. You kind of go right around the bureaucracy that way, and can't really stop private citizens who are engaged in the action. They have the right to spend money as they chose, and private businesses have the right to build and or supply the wall.
This kind of thinking seems a bit premature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
An analyst with the watchdog group Charity Watch, Stephanie Kalivas, said donors should take pause at Kolfage’s unwillingness to provide transparency into his ambitious project.

“With no established track record, Kolfage should be even more willing to be transparent with the public,” Kalivas said. “The apparent lack of established governing documents, and Kolfage’s unwillingness to make available to the public the ‘white paper’ he claims has already been prepared ‘to every detail’ are additional red flags.”

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exercised by private individuals?

Eminent domain can be exercised on the behalf of private individuals.

It's actually a pretty controversial issue when people lose their homes so that private companies can be built. Surprised you've never heard of it.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,951.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Eminent domain can be exercised on the behalf of private individuals.

It's actually a pretty controversial issue when people lose their homes so that private companies can be built. Surprised you've never heard of it.

It's also a horrible idea in general that the Supreme Court should overturn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,951.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It does seem to go against the whole idea of free markets and capitalism.

As I often point out, the people who say they are for those things rarely seem all that committed to the idea.

The idea of governments seizing property for corporations (being horrible) seems like one of those issues where everyone I know agrees with me regardless of political stripes yet no one in any position of power has any wish to do a single thing about it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As I often point out, the people who say they are for those things rarely seem all that committed to the idea.

The idea of governments seizing property for corporations (being horrible) seems like one of those issues where everyone I know agrees with me regardless of political stripes yet no one in any position of power has any wish to do a single thing about it.

I only vaguely know the justifications for it, and it's rather dumb imo.

My only point was yes, it does happen...and even on Indian reservations, because those are typically federal land (held in trust, but federal land regardless).

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Kolfage posted a photo Monday of the sign outside the CBP Rio Grande Valley sector headquarters. He captioned it: “Time to see what USCBP thinks of our border wall plans.” An agency spokesman said Kolfage did not have any meetings with local agents or chiefs; [WeBuildTheWall leader] Stockton later confirmed there’d been no meeting.

WeBuildtheWall Inc. will employ a paid staff, though the group has not said how many employees it will have or how much they will be paid.
The group acknowledges the obstacles. But Dustin Stockton, one of the group’s leaders, said he still believed they could build something in “months, not years.”

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Kolfage posted a photo Monday of the sign outside the CBP Rio Grande Valley sector headquarters. He captioned it: “Time to see what USCBP thinks of our border wall plans.” An agency spokesman said Kolfage did not have any meetings with local agents or chiefs; [WeBuildTheWall leader] Stockton later confirmed there’d been no meeting.

WeBuildtheWall Inc. will employ a paid staff, though the group has not said how many employees it will have or how much they will be paid.
The group acknowledges the obstacles. But Dustin Stockton, one of the group’s leaders, said he still believed they could build something in “months, not years.”

It no longer matters what obstacles are present. The wall is getting built. Even if not funded by congress or by this fund, that wall is getting built. What has happened concerning this fund, and congress has further inflamed the situation to the point that 'NO' is no longer listened to. People no longer care about peter crying wolf, or naysayers rhetoric.

This is why I have all but stop debating the issue. I've already won. I will rejoin the conversation once the hissy fits ensue.

Upvote 0