Gay Bathhouses in San Francisco will be reopening to aid Covid economic recovery

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm in California. Our governor has lost his mind.....please send help.

We are the only state in our entire union that doesn't have salons open (and since stylists are mostly all self-employed and federal aid ended....they are getting no pay at all). That's roughly 600,000+ people in our state without any income (or government aid)for this month (until whenever he decides)....because our governor says it's not safe. The CDC actually used a case where stylists in Missouri unknowingly worked while having Covid. Since they were mandated to keep logs of their clients...they were able to track the 140+ people they came in contact with and ZERO were affected with the virus. The CDC states the guidelines salons were following are protection against the spread of Covid.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I think that Christians are simply surprised that they no longer have the social and cultural privilege they once enjoyed. Instead of seeing this as an attach on Christians or religious institutions, see it as ignoring Christians and simply people doing what they want without the shame religion inspires. They are not playing by the same moral instincts many on this forum are. The don't care about religious values. I don't blame them.

Second point. This bathhouse will open as the city tries to re-open and lift Covid restrictions. It is not as if churches will remain closed and the bath house will be open. That seemed to be the assumption here. The GSN article states:

"The San Francisco Board of Supervisors, the city’s governing council, voted unanimously on Tuesday to remove the restrictions on saunas.

They hope the businesses will now ‘reopen as part of the city’s COVID-19 economic recovery."

This opening will parallel the lifting of restrictions. Sorry, no persecution here.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have often wondered about the obsession about all things “gay” with Christians.

In this case I don't think it is a gay obsession, it is the irony of reopening a type of business that was closed due to spreading disease (AIDS), during a pandemic.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
From the third article:

"That could change after the COVID-19 pandemic is over (this new ruling will not affect the city's reopening timeline)"

This change is removing the decades old ban. It does not open the bathhouses.

yet another link

"To be clear, this ordinance does not and will not require or allow the reopening of adult sex venues in San Francisco before it is safe to do so as part of our COVID-19 reopening," stressed gay District 8 Supervisor Rafael Mandelman, the sponsor of the ordinance.

What it does do, explained Mandelman, "is allow for adult sex venues to be part of our economic and cultural recovery when it is safe to do so."

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In this case I don't think it is a gay obsession, it is the irony of reopening a type of business that was closed due to spreading disease (AIDS), during a pandemic.
....and to add to the irony....the reopening was even discussed while the state has severe restrictions on other businesses due to a pandemic & the reopening was presented as an "economic relief" due to the pandemic.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I humbly ask the OP to change the title of the thread to be more accurate. Nothing has been reopened.

I don't see an edit button to do change that... any advice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Since people are better able to stop the spread of HIV through condoms and testing, it is not ironic. When the bath houses were closed, there was no treatment for those who had contracted the virus. Many things have changed since then.

• Agree
Reactions: Theridiidae
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Self-report your OP, a moderator will assist. (And no, you won't get in any trouble)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Just above the upper right of your first post there is a drop down for 'thread tools' that should allow you to edit the title.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From the third article:

"That could change after the COVID-19 pandemic is over (this new ruling will not affect the city's reopening timeline)"

This change is removing the decades old ban. It does not open the bathhouses.

yet another link

"To be clear, this ordinance does not and will not require or allow the reopening of adult sex venues in San Francisco before it is safe to do so as part of our COVID-19 reopening," stressed gay District 8 Supervisor Rafael Mandelman, the sponsor of the ordinance.

What it does do, explained Mandelman, "is allow for adult sex venues to be part of our economic and cultural recovery when it is safe to do so."

Yes it does, it's just not open now. The headline is still true.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since people are better able to stop the spread of HIV through condoms and testing, it is not ironic. When the bath houses were closed, there was no treatment for those who had contracted the virus. Many things have changed since then.
But our current pandemic isn't prevented by the use of condoms - it's prevented by avoiding close contact in small enclosed spaces and social **distancing**. Today in California, I cannot eat in an indoor restaurant. The closure rate is expected to be 85% for our restaurants because of this extended closure period (with no end in sight). Where's the economic recovery for restaurant owners?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just above the upper right of your first post there is a drop down for 'thread tools' that should allow you to edit the title.

Thanks, they beat me to it, but that is handy for the future.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But our current pandemic isn't prevented by the use of condoms - it's prevented by avoiding close contact in small enclosed spaces and social **distancing**. Today in California, I cannot eat in an indoor restaurant. The closure rate is expected to be 85% for our restaurants because of this extended closure period (with no end in sight). Where's the economic recovery for restaurant owners?

Yes and the other irony are barbers / hair salons etc. Most people have Covid hair back there.. Talking to my parents who live in the South Bay, they said hair salons opened for 2 days back in late May, only to close again.....

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0