Gay Bathhouses in San Francisco will be reopening to aid Covid economic recovery

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Then your non answer is no. How was I supposed to know any of that from your original post.

Anyway, at least you tried to figure a way out of your comment.
a good chunk of that information was also in the OP

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm fine about Gay Bathhouse reopening . It's none of our business. It should have been re opened a lot sooner. The only reason I believe it wasn't. Is because of discrimination against gay people. But, I wonder if Gay people moved on. They might not bother with.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Read into this a bit...the way the story was originally be represented is a bit misleading.

From what I can tell, nothing is being "re-opened" as of right now.

It's just saying they can once other venues reopen.

While some people have an aversion to "adult sex venues"...which is is understandable, as there are other health and societal concerns that go along with them, the fact that one form of them happens to be "gay" was something I think is being used to scaremonger (just a hunch).

In reality, "adult lifestyles clubs" are in several cities all across the country...even my closest major city, Cleveland Ohio (not exactly a 'sexy town' or 'progressive utopia'), has a handful of them...some of them even cater to LGBT interests. As long as no money is being exchanged for sex (IE: not prostitution), and nothing non-consensual or involving people under the age of 18 (not breaking any laws), then there's very little reason why, from a legal standpoint, they shouldn't be allowed to operate.

From a realistic point of view, places like that aren't all that different than any old sleezy night club or bar...the motivations are the same. "try to "hook up" with someone". The only difference is that in the "adult lifestyles venues", your chances of success are higher because everyone going is looking for the same thing.

I see very little difference between
"I'm going to go to this nightclub to try to hook up with someone"
vs.
"I'm going to go to this adult lifestyles club to try to hook up with someone"

...apart from $11 Bud Lights at the former, and the fact that you know other people are there for the same reason at the latter.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in California. Our governor has lost his mind.....please send help.

We are the only state in our entire union that don't have salons open (and since stylists are mostly all self-employed and federal aid ended....they are getting no pay at all). That's roughly 600,000+ people in our state without any income (or government aid)for this month (until whenever he decides)....because our governor says it's not safe. The CDC actually used a case where stylists in Missouri unknowingly worked while having Covid. Since they were mandated to keep logs of their clients...they were able to track the 140+ people they came in contact with and ZERO were affected with the virus. The CDC states the guidelines salons were following are protection against the spread of Covid.
There is no hope for your state. Best thing for you to do is move to a red state.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is no hope for your state. Best thing for you to do is move to a red state.
Most people I know. Are working in CA. I think people exaggerate. Kids are doing on line schooling. This year protect themselves and their family members from getting COVID-19. And government workers are being very cautious. They were supposed to go back. But reginal center decided not to because COVID-19 started to skyrocket. Thanks to Trump , his supporters. Then black lives members happened and protesters against them. The governor isn't the problem. Idiots are.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
If the religiously conservative notion of morality is what you have in mind when you say our state has no hope--I will thank you for your compliment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm fine about Gay Bathhouse reopening . It's none of our business. It should have been re opened a lot sooner. The only reason I believe it wasn't. Is because of discrimination against gay people. But, I wonder if Gay people moved on. They might not bother with.
It’s the year 2020, where is there discrimination against gay people in 2020? If anything you get crucified for anti-gay comments in 2020. And gay discrimination in San Francisco lol? Really?

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
During the AIDS epidemic (not a pandemic) of the 80's there was no treatment for HIV?AIDS. There was very little knowledge about the transmission of the virus which lead to massive prejudice of those contracted and groups suspected of spreading the virus. You may remember Ryan White; he received a blood transfusion and contracted AIDS. He was a focus of peoples ignorance and prejudice and was stopped from attending school and friends birthday parties. People freaked. People also freaked out about he gay community. People called the virus the gay disease--which we now know is absurd. The bath houses closed down in this chaotic environment of ignorance and ineptitude.

Today however, we know a great deal about the virus. It is not limited to gays at all. We can easily test for it, we have treatments for it that render the virus undetectable and unable to transmit from person to person with a zero count viral load. This is no reason to eliminate caution, but it is a reasonable time to lose much of the irrational fear of the disease and the assumption people have about who has it.

People are able to be cautious and safe while still maintaining healthy sexual relationships. STDs are still a serious health risk to all sexually active people who are not in a monogamous relationship, but that is their choice and with education about safe sexual practice, people are able to enjoy their sexual life with reasonable precautions. Absolute abstinence is the best way to not get sick--but that is not going to happen for almost anyone. Next to that--a monogamous relationship, but thats not desirable for everyone either. A good rule is: if you don't really like being around naked gay guys, a bath house in San Fran may not be for you. But other people may really like it.

Ryan White was trotted out as the poster child precisely because he was collateral damage, having not engaged in activity that everyone knew was spreading this sexual epidemic. It's disingenuous to suggest that it is "not limited to" this demographic, primarily MSM. There are a few outliers, like Ryan, and Kimberly Bergalis (infected by a sadistic dentist), and some others, but primarily this is spread man to man in ways in which the human body is not intended nor designed to be utilized. There is nothing "healthy" about the transmission process. It can and should be avoided.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Ryan White was trotted out as the poster child precisely because he was collateral damage, having not engaged in activity that everyone knew was spreading this sexual epidemic. It's disingenuous to suggest that it is "not limited to" this demographic, primarily MSM. There are a few outliers, like Ryan, and Kimberly Bergalis (infected by a sadistic dentist), and some others, but primarily this is spread man to man in ways in which the human body is not intended nor designed to be utilized. There is nothing "healthy" about the transmission process. It can and should be avoided.
There is nothing disingenuous in what I said at all. And those are not outliers; any apprehension of statistics should inform you that outliers are one-off data that may not be included in a data set. Heterosexual contraction of HIV/AIDS is not rare at all. My point in mentioning White is to highlight the amount of shame and abuse he reviewed, not to suggest that his contraction of the virus through transfusion was typical. You straw manned my point.

There is nothing "healthy" about the transmission process. It can and should be avoided.
What do you mean??? Anal sex? Heterosexual couples do it all the time. There is no reason to avoid it--people should do it safely--just like people should have safe vaginal sex.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing disingenuous in what I said at all. And those are not outliers; any apprehension of statistics should inform you that outliers are one-off data that may not be included in a data set. Heterosexual contraction of HIV/AIDS is not rare at all. My point in mentioning White is to highlight the amount of shame and abuse he reviewed, not to suggest that his contraction of the virus through transfusion was typical. You straw manned my point.
Yes, your statement was indeed disingenuous. Ryan White was an extreme outlier, as he was a hemophiliac CHILD on whom AIDS was perpetrated unknowingly by a blood transfusion, which is precisely why he was used as the "face" of AIDS. https://history.com/this-day-in-history/ryan-white-dies-hiv-aids He is referred to here as the "national symbol of the AIDS crisis".

According to the CDC, men who have sex with men made up almost 69% of the HIV cases in 2018; HIV in the United States and Dependent Areas | Statistics Overview | Statistics Center | HIV/AIDS | CDC MSM are approximately 2 percent of the population.

Most of the cases and the transmission are among this MSM subset. According to amfAR, gay men and other men who have sex with men have a 28-times higher risk of HIV acquisition than heterosexual men.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, your statement was indeed disingenuous. Ryan White was an extreme outlier, as he was a hemophiliac CHILD on whom AIDS was perpetrated unknowingly by a blood transfusion, which is precisely why he was used as the "face" of AIDS. https://history.com/this-day-in-history/ryan-white-dies-hiv-aids He is referred to here as the "national symbol of the AIDS crisis".

According to the CDC, men who have sex with men made up almost 69% of the HIV cases in 2018; HIV in the United States and Dependent Areas | Statistics Overview | Statistics Center | HIV/AIDS | CDC MSM are approximately 2 percent of the population.

Most of the cases and the transmission are among this MSM subset. According to amfAR, gay men and other men who have sex with men have a 28-times higher risk of HIV acquisition than heterosexual men.
You are not reading carefully. I am going to quote my earlier post which you ignored; "My point in mentioning White is to highlight the amount of shame and abuse he reviewed, not to suggest that his contraction of the virus through transfusion was typical. You straw manned my point." Is that clear?

Just because homosexual men are a higher risk factor, it does not follow that they should live like monks. Your point is a red herring--that has no value to whether or not they should live as they please. You are using data to drive your agenda. It's likely that gay men know this information better than you.

• Agree
Reactions: kybela
Upvote 0