• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Futurists vs Preterists

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by Willis Deal, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Invalid

2. Valid

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NumberOneSon

NumberOneSon The poster formerly known as Acts6:5

+231
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Thank you for your kind words, Craigybabe and Kern! Even though you may not agree with the preterist eschatology I know I appreciate your support as believers. Thanks for allowing us to have a voice on this forum.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

2. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

+7
    GW, You are skipping verses here. You can't do that. I believe when Jesus was saying this generation will not pass away until all these things take place, that He was referrring to the time when these things were actually happening.

Jesus said He would send His angels to gather His elect(verse 30). When exactly did this take place?

Also, I would like to know your view of Matthew 25:31-41?

3. kern

kern Miserere Nobis

+7
    Catholic
    Actually, I've never bought into all the Revelation-related end times stuff, so preterism makes a lot more sense to me than futurism. :) :)

-Chris

4. The Messenger

The Messenger Member

+0
    Shalom Chris

so what exactly is your objection to "Revelation-related end times stuff"?

5. Ephesian

Ephesian Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    Well...I have been here for just a couple of weeks now. I am a "futurist". Preterism is new to me. I don't buy it, but I certainly see the appeal. One thing I have noticed. They respond to practically all End-Times threads with the zeal and fervor of an evangelist. We really don't need to be preached to. Sometimes, we futurists just want to have fellowship with each other (like minded folks). Sometimes we feel like debating. Sometimes, we may want to have fellowship with all differing members of the body. I don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes, it is nice to have discussions without always being on the defensive. That is not a bad thing. Take any thread that was started (at least during the last week or two) by a "futurist" asking an opinion about future events, and you will see a preterest telling you that that is impossible, the End-Times have already happened. That is okay too, but sometimes you just don't feel like going there. Since I have been here I have not bashed any Preterests, nor will I, however I would like to have just one thread where the topic doesn't deteriorate into an us against them. Christian Love people. And along with that goes respect. A futurist does NOT need to be converted on EVERY End-Times thread.

God bless you all. And may God grant us all a little bit of wisdom.

6. davo

davo Member

+1
    G'day kern! You've hit the "kernel" of truth -"it makes sense." :clap: :wave:

davo

7. Auntie

Auntie THANK YOU JESUS!!

+603
    Christian
    Married
    Very well said, Ephesian. :)

I am new here too. I came to the end times forum because of the trouble in the Middle East. I wondered what Christians would have to say about it all, and I wanted to read opinions about how the horors in Israel might be prophetic. Maybe I am at the wrong forum.

8. davo

davo Member

+1
    Dear Futurist Freinds, if it meets your needs, would common sense say to include in any question you raise in making a post "no responses from preterists needed" or something similar. I might think that's a bit "precious" but I can live with that.

As for thinking the 'PRETERISTS' :mad: are "attacking you" -kind of reminds me of the slogan "HELP... the paranoids are after me!" ;)

Blessings All!

davo

9. The Messenger

The Messenger Member

+0
    i understand your point GW

my point is that in substituting the word origin as the definition and saying "this is what it means" your are being more than a little deceptive. of course "thousand" is plural! it is more than one!

it is the same in the english language

from the merriam webster dictionary

Main Entry: thou·sand
    Pronunciation: 'thau-z&n(d)
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural thousands or thousand

10. Kelier

Kelier New Member

+0
    I notice there is much debate in this forum of futurism vs preterism. I thought I would start this thread so that debates and discussions on this subject could be based here, without being in every thread here. It makes it hard to read through posts when every thread becomes a debate.
    I am curious to know exactly what preterists believe.

11. rollinTHUNDER

rollinTHUNDER Veteran

+8
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    This Forum is now infested with non-believers, that have taken an ax to the tree of faith, hope and love. Infested is the best word I can come up with, and it fits, like a very bad roach problem. Anyone got some Raid??

12. solo66 man

solo66 man Well-Known Member

+2
    Good idea. If you do not participate in a discussion with a peterist or vica versa, you can choose the ignore button and you will not even see the other persons post.

13. Auntie

Auntie THANK YOU JESUS!!

+603
    Christian
    Married
    Good idea. :) Keep all preterist/futurist discussions in one thread. I hope the preterists will agree to this, but I doubt it, as they only have one song to sing, and they want to sing it in as many threads as possible.

14. Susan

Susan 退屈させた1 つ (bored one)

+120
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I think we all need to step back and calm down before this becomes like the "Islam and Jihad" threads.
    :) Peace and :cool: it.

15. Ephesian

Ephesian Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    Davo,
    I have never said or felt like I was being attacked by you, GW, Hoonbaba (sp?), or any other Preterest. I honestly feel you guys are just trying to show me why you believe the way you do and why you feel you are correct in those beliefs. I don't have a problem with that. Sometimes, though, it's nice to share with like-minded brothers and sisters and let the spiritual hair down...so to speak.

You guys have already helped me more than you could know. :)

16. Kelier

Kelier New Member

+0
    I truly would like to know what preterists believe. I ask this because I don't really understand.

17. Auntie

Auntie THANK YOU JESUS!!

+603
    Christian
    Married
    Dear Kelier,

Maybe if you post a question to them, they will come to this thread and answer your question. :)

18. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

+1,660
    Atheist
    Private
    *** MOD HAT ON ***

We are starting way too many identical topic threads. This thread is one of them. I'll will be merging this with other duplicate topic threads.

This thread is to remain open, until it is merged with other threads.

Thank you,

John

*** MOD HAT OFF ***

19. Kelier

Kelier New Member

+0
    I have a bunch of questions. I'll start with just one though.

What is the preterist view of the second coming of Christ?

*I am asking these for informational purposes only, not to debate.*

20. TheBear

TheBear Free Agent

+1,660
    Atheist
    Private
    *** MOD HAT ON ***

We are starting way too many identical topic threads. This thread is one of them. I'll will be merging this with other duplicate topic threads.

This thread is to remain open, until it is merged with other threads.

Thank you,

John

*** MOD HAT OFF ***

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.