For Bible literalists - Was there death before the fall in Genesis?

• Thread starter xXThePrimeDirectiveXx
  • Start date
X

xXThePrimeDirectiveXx

I have heard some Christians profess there was no death before sin entered the world. Some seem to use this as a case for vegetarianism too.

Is there anyone here who believes this to be the case? Was it just humans who did not die before the fall? Was it animals too?

It seems Christians use "Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" for this idealogy.

If you feel like discussing this, do so. I am curious to see what people think of this. I am not advocating it myself.

z3ro

Veteran
Jun 30, 2004
chicago
✟17,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The important thing to remember is that the quote in romans only references man's death, not that of animals. Animals in the christian/jewish theology don't have souls the same way that humans do, and it was just accepted that animals always died.

Also, it is my understanding that animals can't sin, thus, they were not affected by man's fall. Again, see that the quote in romans only references man.

Upvote 0

c'mon sense

Mar 18, 2005
✟15,528.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
z3ro said:
The important thing to remember is that the quote in romans only references man's death, not that of animals. Animals in the christian/jewish theology don't have souls the same way that humans do, and it was just accepted that animals always died.

Also, it is my understanding that animals can't sin, thus, they were not affected by man's fall. Again, see that the quote in romans only references man.

However, the flood was sent to purge the world of all life, everything that had breath of life was meant to be destroyed. It seems animals were affected by the sinfulness of humans. :sorry:

Upvote 0
X

xXThePrimeDirectiveXx

z3ro said:

I agree. There was a pastor who claimed lizards were actually dinosaurs, but not given unlimited lifespan like before, they could no longer grow into dinosaurs. He said lizards continue to grow in size throughout their lives. I of course found this farfetched, and wanted to see what other theories Christians might hold on this.

Upvote 0

CthulhuDragon

Apr 18, 2006
✟15,256.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
xXThePrimeDirectiveXx said:
I agree. There was a pastor who claimed lizards were actually dinosaurs, but not given unlimited lifespan like before, they could no longer grow into dinosaurs. He said lizards continue to grow in size throughout their lives. I of course found this farfetched, and wanted to see what other theories Christians might hold on this.
That would be a Kent Hovind Argument.

Upvote 0

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
I keep seeing that name around, but I have not investigated him.

There was another pastor that someone had me listen to his CD to answer my question. I had a good chuckle with the lizard to dinosaur theory.
The IRS has been investigating him for years and they have concluded that he is a liar and a fraud and believe they have sufficient evidence to convince others beyond a reasonable doubt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
Upvote 0
X

xXThePrimeDirectiveXx

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
X

xXThePrimeDirectiveXx

Edx said:
He's allowed to do that?? :eek:

Yes, the company used to be soley Christian, but over time, hired in some non-pods.

It's a small (40 people), unorthodox company where suprisingly, the pods and non-pods get along well and there is very little evangelizing. Christian-themed emails and bad secular jokes run rampant through the company email hehe.

Upvote 0

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, the company used to be soley Christian, but over time, hired in some non-pods.

It's a small (40 people), unorthodox company where suprisingly, the pods and non-pods get along well and there is very little evangelizing. Christian-themed emails and bad secular jokes run rampant through the company email hehe.

America = strange.

Upvote 0