If God is not in control how can he promise us eternal life?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If God is not in control of everything, how can he make the promise of Eternal life? How can he go a step further than eternal life but also promise that sin itself will never happen again? Think about it, if humans had free will as it is understood today how is it that they can live forever if the requirement to be in the very presence of God is eternal sinless perfection? What is stopping another human, angel, or other potential creation of God from rebelling against God again if God is not in complete control of all things? What caused lucifer and humanity to fall? Two creations from God who by the way, were created perfect in every way and at one point in time probably thought that they would never fall. Yet, they did and they chose evil. Why? If it was not in God's will for these to happen and they all had the free will to do whatever it is that they wanted how and why did they fall? There are two arguments that i can think of that can be made to explain this conundrum.

1. Lucifer, Adam, and Eve chose to fall and God had to make a backup plan for how to redeem mankind and how to deal with Lucifers rebellion. But this argument doesn't explain how exactly God is going to keep humanity, the angels, and other creation of God from ever sinning again. It doesn't match up with the scriptures that say that God planned from before he created the world to redeem his Elect, it denies Gods omnipotence as a God that knows all and does whatever he pleases yet never sins because he is God and none are greater than him.

2. The fall was part of God's plan from the beginning and this fits in with God's complete sovereignty and this explains how he can promise that sin will never again enter the world nor will we, God's chosen children ever sin against God again. It also explains why God created lucifer and sin entered the world in the first place, another brain teaser.

The second argument seems to answer what really happened and how a fall will never happen again. Because the fall was part of God's plan and the rest of God's plan is that it will never, ever, happen again whatever God decrees it comes to pass. It argues that God knew from the very beginning and the very end of time that the fall was going to happen and that he not only let it happen, but predestined it to happen as part of his eternal and divine plan.

Reactions: Mark Quayle

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
but predestined it to happen as part of his eternal and divine plan.
Not necessarily. He did know that if it happened with the elohim, it could happen to man, but unlike the elohim if they did so, would be restricted/containable if they took the same path as their adversarial fellow creations.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2010
✟63,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God is not in control of everything, how can he make the promise of Eternal life? How can he go a step further than eternal life but also promise that sin itself will never happen again? Think about it, if humans had free will as it is understood today how is it that they can live forever if the requirement to be in the very presence of God is eternal sinless perfection? What is stopping another human, angel, or other potential creation of God from rebelling against God again if God is not in complete control of all things? What caused lucifer and humanity to fall? Two creations from God who by the way, were created perfect in every way and at one point in time probably thought that they would never fall. Yet, they did and they chose evil. Why? If it was not in God's will for these to happen and they all had the free will to do whatever it is that they wanted how and why did they fall? There are two arguments that i can think of that can be made to explain this conundrum.

1. Lucifer, Adam, and Eve chose to fall and God had to make a backup plan for how to redeem mankind and how to deal with Lucifers rebellion. But this argument doesn't explain how exactly God is going to keep humanity, the angels, and other creation of God from ever sinning again. It doesn't match up with the scriptures that say that God planned from before he created the world to redeem his Elect, it denies Gods omnipotence as a God that knows all and does whatever he pleases yet never sins because he is God and none are greater than him.

2. The fall was part of God's plan from the beginning and this fits in with God's complete sovereignty and this explains how he can promise that sin will never again enter the world nor will we, God's chosen children ever sin against God again. It also explains why God created lucifer and sin entered the world in the first place, another brain teaser.

The second argument seems to answer what really happened and how a fall will never happen again. Because the fall was part of God's plan and the rest of God's plan is that it will never, ever, happen again whatever God decrees it comes to pass. It argues that God knew from the very beginning and the very end of time that the fall was going to happen and that he not only let it happen, but predestined it to happen as part of his eternal and divine plan.

I remember coming to the realisation that death was all part of God's plan. I was absolutely shocked! I asked God, why?
This is the verse he brought to my mind.

Joh 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I remember coming to the realisation that death was all part of God's plan. I was absolutely shocked! I asked God, why?
This is the verse he brought to my mind.

Joh 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
How can a spirit be set free from it's restraints in order to be judged worthy of life unless those restraints first die? And if those in restraints hurry the process then they have lessened their chances because they have invoked the original sin of putting their will ahead of the will of God.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2010
✟63,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can a spirit be set free from it's restraints in order to be judged worthy of life unless those restraints first die? And if those in restraints hurry the process then they have lessened their chances because they have invoked the original sin of putting their will ahead of the will of God.

I'm sorry... can you rephrase that?

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2010
✟63,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

OK, I think I see what you're saying.

Yeah, I don't know. All I know is that this is the answer God gave me.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well yes and no, in my humble opinion. Yes, God is sovereign and in some respects determines what will happen, who will succeed, and who will fail. But on the other hand, for God to predetermine that someone *must* fail runs contrary to the statement indicating God wants all to come to the knowledge of Salvation. He would have all to succeed!

How do I explain this personally? I think God only determined a set number to be His elect. The rest came about as the product of rebellious human indulgence. We don't know who they all are, but we do know that some resist God's word to the end. They are *not* God's elect, and God never predetermined that they should exist or fail.

But part of God granting freedom to Man, He had to put into motion a backup plan, allowing children to be born to Satan. Having created Satan with freedom, as well, God had to have a backup plan to restore Man, who He had predetermined to succeed.

So the answer to this "conundrum," as you call it, is to recognize that God's sovereignty has built into it options for both angels and men, giving them limited freedom. God also determines, absolutely, certain things, determined by what His Word promises. He cannot fail once He has given His word.

And so, people will be redeemed, and Satan will not be redeemed. But the people who will not be redeemed are those who exercise their freedom to break from God's word. That is not God's choice, but is the product of Man running amok, living independent of God's choices.

In wanting all people to come to the "knowledge" of his Salvation, He just wants them to know failure at achieving Salvation was not His original choice. What people do, independent of God's choice, is *their choice!* The "knowledge" of Salvation obviously is not the same thing as Salvation itself!

I don't believe God predetermined Satan's Fall, nor even Man's Fall. On the contrary, it was God's express wish for neither to fail! But clearly, God built into this creation the option to go independent of God's word, to choose autonomy.

But from the beginning God created Man to succeed, so that from the beginning the redemption of Man would be inevitable in the event Man fell. God's Word cannot fail! It was not, however, inevitable or predetermined that *all* men would succeed. On the contrary, Satan could enjoy some success in his rebellion among mankind.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If God is an omniscient God than God would have known about the fall beforehand. I think all of us can agree on this point because otherwise, God would not be omniscient but would be a God who sees how things go and then be like " i didnt see that coming ill have to rethink my plan".

Also I think that God knew about the fall beforehand because he warned Adam and Eve that they WILL die. He didn't say "if you disobey me you're going to be subject to death" he said "from the moment you eat from it you will surely die." And Adam and Eve did not know what death was because death had not yet entered the world and everything was created perfect. I think all of us will agree this far or at the very least most of us.

But if God didn't foreordain the fall to happen how is it that Adam and Eve fell other than "they chose to fall," that really would be the only argument here aside from God chose it to happen. Well if they chose to fall and fell because they believed in what Satan was telling them how is it that they could make such a decision without being influenced by an inherent flaw or susceptibility within them? This brings us into a complex discussion about the nature of free will, the nature of temptation, and the perfection of God's creation. If God created everything perfectly, how could a perfect being decide to do something imperfect unless the capacity for imperfection was created within them? Don't forget, Lucifer and Adam and Eve were perfect in each and every way. There was not even a spec of sin in them yet, they fell. If they chose sin than what is stopping another fall because our new bodies would not be the same without God's influence because the first time we were created we were just as perfect. Eternity is a very long time and there might potentially be other creations of God. Without God influencing their decisions than the ability to sin would be in them. Yet, they choose no sin? Why? What's preventing them from sinning again if its not the perfect and unstoppable will of God?

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God is an omniscient God than God would have known about the fall beforehand.
That's unenlightened rationale, or pure theorizing. It's like arguing an absurdity that God can't create something so big He can't lift it. Let's get past these logical absurdities? So if "God knows everything" then He must've predetermined the fall of Satan, the fall of Man, and His own failed plan? Everything is fixed?

Please don't use these arguments--God knows everything so it had to happen that way? It's better to say that God predetermined choices and foreknows every possible choice.
I think all of us can agree on this point because otherwise, God would not be omniscient but would be a God who sees how things go and then be like " i didnt see that coming ill have to rethink my plan".
No, I absolutely *DO NOT* agree with this point. It isn't saying God is not God if we agree that He created FREE CHOICE! He is a big God and created FREE WILL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He is a big God and created FREE WILL.
And that free will was unique to man so that man could do man's assigned duties in the Garden. You didn't see the animals name themselves. With that free will came only one stipulation, that it be not used when it came to the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

No the fall was not part of God's plan.

God created his intelligent beings with choice ... even the choice to deny Him. Love can not be forced ... it must be a choice.

He knew what His creatures would choose (foreknowledge) ... but did not make their choices for them. Same as it is today.

God put His intelligent beings in the position of choice.

Why did Adam & Eve fall in the first place? Because they were tempted. God don't tempt anyone ... there is no temptation in heaven ... nor will there be any on the new earth.

James 1
But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires he is lured away and enticed. 15Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

There will not be evil desires in heaven or on the new earth.

CHOICE ... understand it.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You show a lot of “good logic” in making your points, but start with some very questionable assumptions.

There are some excellent reasons why beings who spent time on earth will not sin in heaven and why some angels did sin in heaven:

• Satan is not there.
  • The tree of knowledge is not there to tempt us.
  • We are gifted with all we could want, assuming we have Godly type Love which is totally unselfish.
  • The indwelling Holy Spirit which we could not see before is now very visible.
  • We will be sexless, being a sexual being carries with it conflict, pride, selfishness and lots of other problems.
  • We know what happened to satan, so we will not want to repeat his mistake.
  • We may see the actual cleansing blood of Christ dripping from the throne.
  • We will have personally experienced sin, satan, and evil, so there is no reason to return to that.
We would still have free will, so in theory we could sin, but how, why and what are we lacking?

the Adam and Eve story:

1. God’s description of A&E as being “very good” might mean and need to be as good as any being could be “made”, but are there some things that are impossible to make initially in a being? Are they perfect like Christ is perfect?

2. If Adam and Eve are incomplete from the beginning because of an impossibility, does that mean they are broken to begin with?

3. Did Adam and Eve have the same “objective” as all other humans have had since them, thus providing the reason they are even in the Garden situation? (Go beyond “glorifying God” on this question)

4. Does Adam and Eve’s sinning show they did not complete their earthly objective while in the Garden?

5. What would it take for Adam and Eve to fulfill their earthly objective and before sinning?

6. If Adam and Eve who were made as good as you can be made and raised (programmed) to adulthood by the very best parent and yet sinned in the Garden, does that not suggest the Garden situation is a lousy place (or impossible place) for humans to fulfill their earthly objective?

7. I, for one, appreciate what Adam and Eve went through in the Garden to show me and others; why the Garden situation would not be good for me or anyone else. It helps me address the question: “How could a Loving God allow this _____tragedy?” Did it also have benefit to Adam and Eve?

8. Would you prefer to be: in a situation where your eternal close relationship with God was dependent on your personal ability to obey God or in a situation where your eternal close relationship with God was dependent on your humble accepting His charity?

9. We might agree that Adam and Eve’s sins were inevitable, but were these sins also necessary?

10. Does sin have purpose in help humans fulfill the initial part of their earthly objective?

11. I know you did not address this, but why did Eve add: “neither shall you touch it”?

12. Some bring up the idea that: “with” meant Adan was beside Eve while satan talked to Eve, but is that what “with” would have to mean?

13. “with” (אָכַל) is used over 800 times in the OT, so we do not have time to go over ever one but it often (I think a majority of the times) takes on the meaning of being supportive of the other person and in contrast to being “against the person” and does not have to mean physically beside the person. Knowing that time had passed to the point Adam and Eve had developed a very close relationship might be important to understand satan’s timing and Adam’s sin. To have Adam physically standing by Eve, when we know from Paul: “Eve was being deceived and Adam was not deceived”, makes no sense. Adam would have to be an evil jerk and not have been made “very good” if he is going to let Eve commit suicide. Why would Adam “hate” God and Eve?

14. It would make more logical sense, since Adam was not deceived and Adam will be placed in charge of Eve, that Adam ate the fruit out of a love for Eve, since Adam had reached the point in their relationship of not being able to live without Eve (he was with Eve). Was Adam’s love for Eve greater than his love for God when Adam ate?

15. Are we trying to “restore” man to the type of imperfect relationship Adam and Eve had in the Garden prior to sinning?

16. Christ tells us he wants us to be one with the Father as He is one with the Father, so was that the type relations Adam and Eve had in the Garden with God?

17. Can we have an even closer relationship with God while here on earth than we have with our spouse?

19. Is free will needed to allow the person also to obtain “Godly type Love”, so even if a person chose to Love others with a Godly type Love they could not without first obtaining Godly type Love, as a Gift from God, but how do they get that Love?

20. Can a human instinctively be given, develop, learn, earn, or payback the gift of Godly type Love?

There is a lot to be learned from the Garden story and a lot of miss information being passed around

Lots of things are predestined by God since that is what He will do and sometimes when He will do it.

If God’s omnipresence includes not only man’s present time, but also man’s past and man’s future time, then God is outside of time.

God expressing himself anthropomorphically to humans, since God would use our understanding of time in communicating with us. We know the results of God’s miracles but not how the miracle was done. God would not have to talk about the relativity of time or his existence outside of our time and would keep it simple and with excellent communication, talk about time from a human perspective. Time in heaven might also have their own time separate from man’s time.

If you know today historically a free will choice, I made yesterday, that choice cannot be changed, since history cannot be changed even by God (it happened). The fact you historically know a free will choice does not mean it was not a free will choice.

If God is outside of human time then God at the end of time knows perfectly historically (history cannot be changed) every autonomous free will choice man and/or satan made at any and all times. God at the end of time would be able to send that information to Himself at the beginning of time before there was a our known universe.

If God at the end of time knows what Adam and Eve did in the Garden, He can provide that to Himself before Adam and Eve were created, so God knows exactly what Adam and Eve are “going to do”, since they have “already done it” (God is in both places at the same “human” time).

It is difficult to think about what it is like to be outside of time and existing throughout time.

My theory would have this:

• God perfectly knows all human future from some beginning point or before time began.
  • God knows all possible scenarios for the future that would result from His actions and man’s autonomous free will choices.
  • God has predestined in detail most of what man will experience, but this predestined set up scenario by God is to assure every mature adult has a truly independent autonomous free will choice to accept or reject His pure charity as charity, which is the individual’s choice.
  • God predestining the scenarios of man to make this free will choice would be limited to the point an individual could still chose to accept and not harden his/her heart to the point there is nothing more God could do to help that individual.
  • God knows perfectly from the beginning of time what choice every mature adult or spiritual being made throughout history from God’s presence throughout time, but God did not make the choice for the person or spiritual being.
  • God predestined “before” anything was decided to be made that those humans who accepted His charity He would save.
Issues:

• There is no scripture suggesting: God choice of a person’s life scenarios is the determining factor in who is saved and lost.
  • There is nothing that proves God exists today in the future, past and present (that God is not limited by time).
  • The idea of God setting up very specific scenarios so each mature adult will only choose one predetermined choice to accept or reject God’s charity, means the choice is not a free will choice made by the individual, but only gives the appearance of being a free will choice since due to the scenario God setup the person cannot chose to do something other than what God has set him up to choose. The deciding factor on the choice is God’s chosen scenario and not man’s free will choice, so that is not a free will choice .
  • God setting up scenarios for each mature adult to accept or reject His charity in the form of forgiveness, allows the person to truly have a Godly type Love since we are taught by Christ: “… he that is forgiven much Loves much…” So being forgiven (which includes accepting that forgiveness) of an unbelievable huge debt will automatically result in an unbelievable huge Love. The person has to make a truly free will choice to humbly accept God’s forgiveness and that will allow the Love to be truly his Love which will result in him Loving God.
  • With other theories, God chose not to set it up for all humans to choose to accept His charity and be saved, so those lost would be God’s fault. This is not like God and Christ at all.
  • While under my theory; God is doing (setting it up) to provide the very best opportunity for each lost mature adult to be saved if they are willing. The person who rejects God’s charity is not wanting Godly type love and does not like Godly type Love, so they would be unhappy in heaven where there is only Godly type Love. God wants them to go to heaven, but not if it will make them unhappy, so He allows them to choose, but it is not in the form of choosing between heaven and hell, but between accepting His Love (charity) or not His Love (Not charity).
Time is totally “relative” for God and for the last 100 years now, time has been shown to be relative and nothing has even gone against the Theory of Relativity.

Think for a moment about this: If you got an actual video recording of a free will choice a man in China made one hours from now, that choice is set in history, so he cannot make any other choice, yet does that mean the choice will not be a free will choice? You cannot get in touch with him to change anything in the next hour. What you have is the history of his choice ahead of time and history does not keep the choice from being a free will choice.

The idea of a “Block Universe” is held by many non-Christian scientist, since it would explain a lot.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Not necessarily. He did know that if it happened with the elohim, it could happen to man, but unlike the elohim if they did so, would be restricted/containable if they took the same path as their adversarial fellow creations.
That position implies ignorance of what would happen, no? Is God not omniscient?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That position implies ignorance of what would happen, no? Is God not omniscient?
Lets just say the odds were completely in God's favour that humans would mess up just like the elohim, which is why we were not granted eternity like the elohim had previously been given. No guarantees come with free will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Lets just say the odds were completely in God's favour that humans would mess up just like the elohim, which is why we were not granted eternity like the elohim had previously been given. No guarantees come with free will.
I don't see how that is a valid statement. Odds? What God has decided WILL indeed happen.

But, at least, I like that you said it was in God's favor, that humans would mess up.

There is one guarantee that comes with free will, no matter which definition or worldview anyone attaches to it: God's will —that is, his decree— is going to happen.

Upvote 0