newburgh
✟115,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a short rejoinder, life is complicated enough without there being contradictions in the Bible. But rest easy, there are no contradictions in the Bible.

The Bible does not state contradictions, it states God’s Truth. First of all 2 Timothy 3:16 says that every word in the Bible comes from God. It either comes from God directly or it comes through those who were carried along by His Holy spirit, to borrow a phrase from 2 Peter 1:21.

Out of the Bible comes not contradictions, but the Truth. Psalm 119:160 says that the sum of God’s Word is the Truth. If we can make a momentary visit to the secular, Ayn Rand, who has no apparent use for God, says that contradictions do not exist; if you think you see one, then check your premises and you’ll find that at least one of them is wrong. And when a premise is wrong, then the idea of there being a contradiction falls apart.

Take the Book of Jonah. Jonah was upset since God told him to say to the Ninevens that God will destroy their city because of the sins of the people there, yet God ends up not destroying them. Jonah took that as a contradiction to what God told him to say. At first glance it seems like a contradiction. But a premise that would destroy that contradiction is a presumption that nothing happened that caused God to change course and not destroy Nineveh.

But something did happen that ended with God changing course: The Ninevens, upon finding out that God was going to destroy them because of their evilness, prayed to God for forgiveness. As a result, God forgave them and allowed their existence to continue.

Now, a callous person may see that as a contradiction. Problem is, if you can accept the Bible as the Word of truth, you can accept that the supposed contradiction concerning the Ninevans supports several truths in the Bible. One truth is God’s willingness to punish those who inflict evil, and the other is God’s willingness to forgive when you ask for forgiveness. And at the end of the day, if you have faith in God you have faith in the Truth which eclipses thoughts of perceived contradictions or other distractions from the Truth.

Last edited:

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take the Book of Jonah. Jonah was upset since God told him to say to the Ninevens that God will destroy their city because of the sins of the people there, yet God ends up not destroying them. Jonah took that as a contradiction to what God told him to say. At first glance it seems like a contradiction. But a premise that would destroy that contradiction is a presumption that nothing happened that caused God to change course and not destroy Nineveh.

But something did happen that ended with God changing course: The Ninevens, upon finding out that God was going to destroy them because of their evilness, prayed to God for forgiveness. As a result, God forgave them and allowed their existence to continue.

Now, a callous person may see that as a contradiction. Problem is, if you can accept the Bible as the Word of truth, you can accept that the supposed contradiction concerning the Ninevans supports several truths in the Bible. One truth is God’s willingness to punish those who inflict evil, and the other is God’s willingness to forgive when you ask for forgiveness. And at the end of the day, if you have faith in God you have faith in the Truth which eclipses thoughts of perceived contradictions or other distractions from the Truth.
I will take your first part away, as you clearly are trying to make a statement through Jonah.

A callous person cannot see any contradiction, because I will answer every single idea that comes on this forum, while I wish to.

Neither are there perceived contradictions ( as you are trying to make) nor other "distractions."

Now we can look directly at your words, of saying that God CHANGED course. ( how are you going to appear to the forum if that was presumptuous)

Psalm 135, funnily enough is a similar testimony to Jonah. ( of God repenting of the evil, of what God said He would do, and to do it not)

For God had chosen Jacob, Israel for HIs peculiar treasure. ( Titus 2:14. 1 Peter 2:9.)

This in fact shows/proves that the Lord is great, and that the Lord is above all gods. ( who neither exist or are great)

Now see the testimony, anyone on this faithless forum, how the LORD DID WHATEVER PLEASED HIM, in heaven and in earth, in the sea, and in all DEEP places. ( the deep of the sea, the bottoms of the mountains/down to hell)

God destroyed the first of Egypt, miracles and signs on Egypt, delivered the Hebrews and destroyed all of their enemies and gave them the land of Israel.

That is the memorial of the Lord, and that shows the purpose, how the Lord WILL RFEPENT HIMSELF CONCERNING HIS SERVANTS...

Psalm 135:4 For the Lord hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.
5 For I know that the Lord is great, and that our Lord is above all gods.
6 Whatsoever the Lord pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.
7 He causeth the vapours to ascend from the ends of the earth; he maketh lightnings for the rain; he bringeth the wind out of his treasuries.
8 Who smote the firstborn of Egypt, both of man and beast.
9 Who sent tokens and wonders into the midst of thee, O Egypt, upon Pharaoh, and upon all his servants.
10 Who smote great nations, and slew mighty kings;
11 Sihon king of the Amorites, and Og king of Bashan, and all the kingdoms of Canaan:
12 And gave their land for an heritage, an heritage unto Israel his people.
13 Thy name, O Lord, endureth for ever; and thy memorial, O Lord, throughout all generations.
14 For the Lord will judge his people, and he will repent himself concerning his servants.

Now looking at Jonah, so interesting isn't it ? The men on the ship ask why the evil is come upon them. hey cry to the Lord beseeching Him, to not perish for innocent blood, as they understood how the Lord was doing AS IT PLEASED HIM.

Jonah is three days and nights in the belly ( heart. Matthew 12:40.) of the fish.

Jonah cries to the Lord from hell, cast into the DEEP, and went down to the bottoms of the mountains, and the earth with her bars was about him for ever, yet the Lord had brought him up from CORRUPTION. ( Matthew 12:40. Acts 13:33-37.)

The people of Nineveh believe God, as their king told them to cry mightily unto God, to turn from their evil way, and wo can tell if God would turn and repent. God saw their works of turning from their evil way, God repents of the evil said to be done to them, and did it not. ( the evil was on the men in the ship with Jonah, as that evil led to Jonah three days and nights in the fish/hell, and as Jesus says, this is the sign to Israel of Jonah, of the Son of man three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matthew 12:40.)

Jonah 1:8 Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
9 And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
10 Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him. Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the Lord, because he had told them.
11 Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
12 And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
13 Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.
14 Wherefore they cried unto the Lord, and said, We beseech thee, O Lord, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O Lord, hast done as it pleased thee.

Jonah 1:17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
3 For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.
5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

Jonah 3:5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.
9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any supposed contradictions seem to be between people such as Paul and Peter. But this is natural as man cannot agree on anything when they seek to promote their truths over God's.
Still no supposed contradiction anywhere in scripture.

Peter confesses that the wisdom given unto Paul is great, and it is those who wrestle against what Paul testified, and the other scriptures, is only to their own destruction. ( they are the only ones in error/contradiction.)

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul ALSO ACCORDING TO THE WISDOM GIVEN UNTO HIM hath written unto you;

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any supposed contradictions seem to be between people such as Paul and Peter. But this is natural as man cannot agree on anything when they seek to promote their truths over God's.
If you think you will somehow avoid the wrestling Peter spoke about on what Paul has written, or the other scriptures, have a go, see where it will lead.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Still no supposed contradiction anywhere in scripture.

Peter confesses that the wisdom given unto Paul is great, and it is those who wrestle against what Paul testified, and the other scriptures, is only to their own destruction. ( they are the only ones in error/contradiction.)

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul ALSO ACCORDING TO THE WISDOM GIVEN UNTO HIM hath written unto you;

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2 peter is probably a fake, did you not know?

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 peter is probably a fake, did you not know?
It is the other way around, all the many that are fake now. ( all on this forum)

2 Peter 2: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
As a short rejoinder, life is complicated enough without there being contradictions in the Bible. But rest easy, there are no contradictions in the Bible.

The Bible does not state contradictions, it states God’s Truth. First of all 2 Timothy 3:16 says that every word in the Bible comes from God. It either comes from God directly or it comes through those who were carried along by His Holy spirit, to borrow a phrase from 2 Peter 1:21.

Out of the Bible comes not contradictions, but the Truth. Psalm 119:160 says that the sum of God’s Word is the Truth. If we can make a momentary visit to the secular, Ayn Rand, who has no apparent use for God, says that contradictions do not exist; if you think you see one, then check your premises and you’ll find that at least one of them is wrong. And when a premise is wrong, then the idea of there being a contradiction falls apart.

Good post, but I disagree with you in this point: You say, "...God ends up not destroying them. Jonah took that as a contradiction to what God told him to say."

But Jonah didn't want to go from the first time he was told to go. "He prayed to the LORD, “Isn’t this what I said, LORD, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity."" (Jonah 4:2)

Upvote 0

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Jonah didn't want to go from the first time he was told to go. "He prayed to the LORD, “Isn’t this what I said, LORD, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity."" (Jonah 4:2)
Yes...This helps confirm that there are no contradictions that emanate from the bible. At the end of the day, God showed Himself to be what God is. Nothing that God is is contradictory. In Jonah there is no contradiction in what He says above and what He does.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now see the testimony, anyone on this faithless forum, ...
People who cling to worthless idols turn away from a faithful God. Salvation is of the Lord Jonah 2:8-9
Salvation belongs to the Lord. Your blessing is upon Your people. Ps 3:8
The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord. Ps 37:39
He is also my salvation, For a hypocrite could not come before Him. Job 13:16
Jonah 3:
10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live.'

Upvote 0