Alberta
✟12,785.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're a religious christian (repentance, confession, and a constant focus on sin is the foundation of your faith) where your faith is all about doing this or that and not doing this or that, then this may be difficult for you to read. On the other hand, if your christian faith is all about relationship, loving God and loving your neighbour, then this should be a pleasant read.

So, why is there such a difference from christian to christian in our understanding of the Gospel? There are many reasons we could draw from, but I think the most logical reason lays in our understanding of the fall. If you have a clear and solid understanding of the fall, then you have a clear and solid understanding of the Gospel. There is so much that is revealed to us about the fall that most of us miss. Most importantly around the death that Adam and Eve experienced in the fall. If you correctly understand this then you will correctly understand the role forgiveness plays and, as I said, have a better understanding of the gospel.

I am sure most of us have been taught that there was no death before the fall. That the fall is the point where sin entered the world and as a result, death. This death that entered the world is most often understood to be spiritual death which would have taken place instantly. And then physical death, which would start to take place from that point on. It is in this understanding that most the confusion arises.

Lets first start with the understanding that there was no sin before the fall. I believe this to be an incorrect understanding. Yes! I am aware of what Paul says in Rom 5:12. But bear with me, because you will see there is a problem with that popular interpretation of what Paul is saying.
If I tell you a lie, or try and deceive you, have I not sinned? Of course I have. Did not the serpent deceive Eve (Gen 3:13, 1 Tim 2:14)? Then we have to acknowledge that yes, there was sin before the fall. Now, if physical death is the result of sin, why did it not come about until Adam's sin? Either Paul missed this, or Paul wasn't referring to physical death. And, if Paul isn't referring to physical death, is it also possible that he wasn't meaning that this was when sin first entered the literal world? Isn't it more likely that Paul was speaking in the context of man's relationship with God? It makes far more sense that both sin and physical death were present in the world, but not present in man's relationship with God.
Say you're in a new relationship. Although there is hate in the world, there is no hate within your relationship. However, given the right lie or deception, that hate could then find it's way in resulting in the end of your relationship.

There is still more to present on physical death. To begin with, physical death is never spoken of as being an evil in scripture. A possible result of evil yes, but not evil in and of itself. "But death is an enemy!" Yes, but so where we. Being an enemy doesn't make us evil, separated yes, but not evil. Remember, we were created in the image and likeness of God. Now, if death is not an evil, then logically, it has to be good. And, if death is good, then it had to exist as part of creation. I am referring only to physical death, not spiritual death.
Let's, for sake of argument, say death is an evil. Hebrews tells us that there is no forgiveness without the shedding of blood, Heb 9:22. In other words, something has to die in order for us to receive forgiveness. If death is an evil, then are we not simply exchanging one evil for another? "You sinned, therefore we must commit another sinful act so you can be forgiven!"
When God told Adam he would die when he ate from the tree, it's clear that Adam must have understood what death was.
In Gen 3:19, after God curses the ground, he tells Adam that he will return to the ground from which he came, not as part of the curse, but as a reminder. How did I come to this conclusion? Gen 3:22. If physical death is the result of sin, then it would be impossible for the tree of life to give eternal life. You cannot give eternal life to a sinful being when sin eventually leads to death. This would be a contradiction. Physical death had to have always been a part of God's creation. Why else would there be the tree of life to give eternal physical life?

"No, I disagree. The two trees represented choice! Adam could choose a life independent of God by eating from the tree of knowledge which leads to death, or an eternal life fully dependent on God represented by the tree of life."
If the trees represented a choice given by God, then why did he hand out such sever consequences when they made their choice? In fact, why put the two trees there to begin with? Without the tree of knowledge there would be no possibility of man sinning, and therefore, no death making the tree of life unnecessary.
"Then it was to test Adam to see if he would remain loyal to God!"
That would be circular reasoning. Besides the tree of knowledge and the prohibition attached to it, there was nothing in all of creation that would lead man to stray from God. By placing the tree in the garden and adding the prohibition, God created the only thing that could lead man astray. He created the very problem for which he was testing man.

Recognizing that physical death was a part of God's creation helps us to better understand the fall. Since it is a part of creation, it cannot be what God was referring to when he told Adam he would die in the day he ate from the tree of knowledge. Considering Adam lived to be 930yrs, God had to be speaking of spiritual death. Another very important fact we need to understand here is that spiritual death is not the result of sin, but the punishment for sin. Sin does not result in spiritual death like a terminal cancer results in death. Spiritual death is the punishment handed out by God for sin. God's very nature cannot let sin go unpunished. Furthermore, without divine intervention, death is a final and permanent state. A very obvious but overlooked fact. You see, when Adam sinned, God removed his presence from within Adam leading to spiritual death. That was the punishment. The overlooked fact is that any sin committed by either Adam or Eve from that point on would have been of no consequence. The consequence has already taken place, that being spiritual death. I am speaking here only within the context of man's relationship with God, not man's relationship with his neighbour.

Since we all come into this world in the image and likeness of Adam, spiritually dead (we were all in Adam when Adam sinned Rom 5:12) it cannot be our sin that separates us from God. Please read that again! Eph 2:1,5 We are separated from God because we are spiritually dead! Not even God, who is spirit, can have a relationship with a spiritually dead man.

In order for God to establish the possibility of a relationship, we must first be cleansed of all our sin. This relationship is going to require spiritual life. But the problem is, God cannot give us spiritual life when we will just lose it the moment we sin. And, to make matters even worse (somehow we have all missed this), we cannot even approach God for salvation until we are first cleansed. We see this throughout the old testament. Priests had specific guidelines for purification and rituals before entering the tabernacle or temple to perform their duties. Ordinary people were also expected to adhere to certain purification rites before approaching God in worship or seeking his guidance.

What I am saying is, "Before we can be saved, we must first be forgiven our sins." You read that correctly. They are not the same thing! Our salvation is not found in getting our sins forgiven, because the forgiveness of sins is a separate issue.

In Matt 12:31, the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world tells us that all sin will be forgiven. All but the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply unbelief, John 16:8-9. What Jesus is saying here is that all sin, at the moment of his death, will be forgiven all men. All but their unbelief. That is the only way this verse can be correctly understood. If, forgiveness is only received at the moment we ask for it, the moment we ask to be saved, then either we are all unsaved, or Jesus lied. How so? Well, since we all come into the world unbelievers by default, and our unbelief will not be forgiven according to Jesus, none of us are saved. Or, our unbelief is forgiven at the moment we ask for forgiveness, and Jesus lied. Of course, neither is correct. When Jesus said all sin will be forgiven, he meant exactly that. Everyone who has come into the world from the cross forward, has come into the world already forgiven of their sins. Their unbelief, however, must be repented of. And until that unbelief is repented of, although they are forgiven, they remain spiritually dead and separated from God. In 1 Cor 15:17, Paul tells us, knowing full well that Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins, that if he has not been raised from the dead, our faith is futile and we are still unsaved.

The good news! When Jesus took the punishment for all sin, which means there is no more punishment to be handed out by God, this cleansed every single one of us. Everyone has been made clean in the sight of God, setting us free from the punishment of sin. Anyone can now freely approach God for salvation, wherever they are at and regardless of what they have done. No repentance of sin required since that would be a redundant act. This salvation, being new spiritual life and a relationship with God, is found in Jesus' resurrection. Jesus' death dealt with our sins over 2000yrs ago. His resurrection, however, gives us life today should we believe. Because there is no more punishment to be handed out, there is no more possibility of spiritual death. We can now have eternal life with no fear of losing it.

"Woah! You can still choose to walk away from God and lose your salvation." Really!? Explain to me how this is possible? If spiritual death is the punishment for sin, and there is no more punishment to be handed out, do you just wilfully spiritually die? Also, why would anyone choose to walk away from God other than say something terrible happens in their life for which they blame God? The emotions experienced from the suffering they are going through would obviously blind them to truth. Do you think God, knowing what they are going through, and when they need him the most, would simply let them walk away? Especially, if it wasn't for said circumstance, God would still be their first love? Would you let your child, who is blind by the hurt they are going through, destroy themselves? Or, maybe said person was deceived and led astray. Is God so small and unloving to just let them walk away? Does love not protect? Is love not faithful, Rom 8:38-39

"No no no, this is all wrong! We must do our part! We must first repent of our sins, then we will be forgiven and saved!" If repenting of your sins gives you a sense of importance and pride disguised as humility, and makes you feel like you're playing an important role in your salvation, then all the power to ya. You can choose to remain under the bondage of sin, from which Christ's death set you free, or you can choose to live by his grace. "Yeah, well that will just give people a licence to sin, wont it!?" Everyone but you, correct? Because somehow you know better than the rest of us? Give me a break! Your sin was hammered into Jesus' flesh. Your unwillingness to accept that Jesus did everything, and your only work is to believe, John 6:28-29, is a mockery of the cross and puts Jesus to shame. It's your hypocrisy that turns unbelievers off.

"Ha! Jesus said the world would hate me because of him!" Jesus told those that were with him the world would hate them, not you. Much of the world today doesn't even know who Jesus is. So, if they hate you, it's because of you.

You want to know what the true deception was that the serpent pulled over the eyes of man, and still to this day? That it's all about you! People today figure that unless they're somehow playing a role in their salvation, then they're not good enough. The result, religious attitudes. Love goes out the window... all but self love that is. The only goal of "religion" is the role you can play in your salvation. Christianity is not about you! This is contrary to what Jesus taught, Matt 22:37-40. Nowhere are you the focus. Religion divides, relationship brings people together. 1 John 4:19, God is always the initiator, we are the respondents. We do not move God according to our faith, God moves us according to our faith.

"But, there is so much in the bible about not sinning and how bad it is." Yes, there is. Much of it, however, was for the chosen people of God, the Israelite. The law was never given to us. It was given to them, but we've come along picking up the crumbs trying to make a name for ourselves. Also, we are still a part of this world in that our actions effect those around us. We don't attract people to God by what we say, we attract people to God by what we do. Our actions will always speak louder than our words. Love thy neighbour is not an emotion, it's an action. Treat your neighbour how you want to be treated is to love your neighbour. It's that simple. Don't focus on what you shouldn't be doing, focus on what you should be doing. If you're doing what you should be doing, you wont be doing what you shouldn't be doing. What is it you should be doing? Loving God and loving your neighbour.

Christianity is, and always will be, a relationship.

Last edited:

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Then we have to acknowledge that yes, there was sin before the fall.
But it did not yet involve man. And as for the rebellious elohim, they were already eternal so no death there either. The fact A&E were removed from the tree of life shows they had not yet been given eternal life. They were there to make a choice. Allegiance to God or to themselves.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need to quit sinning, even if it costs us years and lots of tears. Everything that quenchs the presence of God must go, if we don-t do that we can-t have fellowship with Him in this earth. and i don-t want to know what happens in the next.

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

And not every sin is the same, some sins are not going to offend God much.
Others like sexual immorality/inappropriate content/aduletery/fornication/homosexuality etc will quench the presence of God so much that you are going to get in a bad state if you were born again.

That-s why in the Council of Jerusalem, they specially wanted christians to avoid -sexual immorality-.
And just in this area is where a lot people fall.

Upvote 0

A Devil's Advocate

Nov 2, 2023
Alberta
✟12,785.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need to quit sinning, even if it costs us years and lots of tears. Everything that quenchs the presence of God must go, if we don-t do that we can-t have fellowship with Him in this earth. and i don-t want to know what happens in the next.
I'm not sure I agree with that. We are either in fellowship with God, that is, we are saved. Or, we are out of fellowship with God, this being unsaved. You can't be saved and be out of fellowship. Being in fellowship is the exact opposite to sinning. Since exact opposites cannot be true at the same time, your sin can't take you out of fellowship. You would need to sin while you're in fellowship for your sin to take you out of fellowship. This isn't possible.
And not every sin is the same, some sins are not going to offend God much.
Others like sexual immorality/inappropriate content/aduletery/fornication/homosexuality etc will quench the presence of God so much that you are going to get in a bad state if you were born again.
According to James 2:10-11, sin is sin in the sight of God. He makes no distinction. I agree with you on a horizontal plane, per say. Sin is not the same when it comes to loving your neighbour. On a vertical plane, our relationship with God, sin is sin regardless of what that sin is. If you come to God in repentance for a sin you committed, and then later commit that same sin, or another sin, you show yourself to be a liar. You do not come to God in repentance with intention of doing it again. Repentance is not something you do over and over. It is a one time thing. Otherwise it's not repentance. It's just a fickle mind tossed about by the waves. When you repent it is with the unspoken promise that you will not do again whatever it is your repenting of. And in the sight of God, this would be sin regardless of what that sin is.

Adam's sin was not sexual immorality. It was rather small in comparison. He simply listened to the words of his wife and ate from the tree God told him not to. That was all it took to set the stage for the current state of the world.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
, and a constant focus on sin is the foundation of your faith
That's the the thing, most people that have seriously repented (think differently) don't focus on sin. Sure there might be problem sins that take awhile, etc. But God knows who's sincere and if we fall short we certainly know we have an advocate in Christ. But after repentance, it's a natural process. It's just the fact that you are honestly thinking differently. You want to love God with all your heart and soul, you want to treat your neighbor as yourself. Of course we will all fall short and sin but the repentant person will not stay in that place. And there is such a thing has habitual sin. Again someone needs to go to the throne for help with those. But again, God is the heart knower. He know who's sincere, who's honesty seeking help, who sins in ignorance and so on.

Also, why would anyone choose to walk away from God
Many reasons. And there will be a "falling away" in the latter times. This is why the Foolish Virgins (they are Christians waiting for the bridegroom) fall.

And Christ will turn some away who obviously were former Christians -

Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father Which is in heaven."

Matthew 7:22 "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works'

Matthew 7:23 "And then will I profess unto them, 'I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity' .

Christ paid the price but it doesn't mean one can go on sinning without caring and think we can have a relationship with God.

I John 1:6 "If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth

I John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin."

Peter states to our "faith" , add virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, charity

II Peter 1:8 "For if there things be in you and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

II Peter 1:9 "But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins."

It doesn't state he hath forgotten he was purged from his sins. Which is the point you're making. It states he hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

A person can fall away so much that he has forgotten he was purged from his old sins.

I Peter 1:10 "Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"

Don't focus on what you shouldn't be doing, focus on what you should be doing.
Again, most repentant people don't focus on sin period, not in that way. When one is thinking differently, the focus is on many things.

Loving God and loving your neighbour.
Christ states we can hang the entire law on both of these and it's true. And on sincere repentance, these two things come naturally.

Your unwillingness to accept that Jesus did everything, and your only work is to believe, John 6:28-29, is a mockery of the cross and puts Jesus to shame.

He paid the price and is our advocate so one can boldly go to the throne.

and your only work is to believe

John 6:29 "Jesus answered and said unto them, "This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him Whom He hath sent."

Which means we are to believe in his Word -all of it. And faith comes from hearing the Word. Christ and the disciples/apostles don't condone sin just because Christ paid the price. And they speak about people falling away/departing from the faith, etc.

And when someone has come to sincere repentance, it's though the Holy Spirit that worketh in us "to will and to do"

Philippians 2:13 "For it is God Which worketh in you both to will and to do, of His good pleasure."

That's the true repentant person, -wanting to allow God to work in us. He works in us to do his will.

Hebrews 13:20 "Now the God of peace, That brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus , that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,"

Hebrews 13:21 "Make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ; to Whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I Peter 4:1 "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind; for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;"

I Peter 4:2 "That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God."

Again, a sincere repentant person puts the focus of God's will over their own will. They continually try to put the spirit over the flesh.

Will we still sin, yes, of course but we cannot walk in darkness continually/willfully and expect to have a relationship with God. We have to be in the light to have that fellowship.

Last edited:
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you're a religious christian (repentance, confession, and a constant focus on sin is the foundation of your faith) where your faith is all about doing this or that and not doing this or that, then this may be difficult for you to read. On the other hand, if your christian faith is all about relationship, loving God and loving your neighbour, then this should be a pleasant read.

So, why is there such a difference from christian to christian in our understanding of the Gospel? There are many reasons we could draw from, but I think the most logical reason lays in our understanding of the fall. If you have a clear and solid understanding of the fall, then you have a clear and solid understanding of the Gospel. There is so much that is revealed to us about the fall that most of us miss. Most importantly around the death that Adam and Eve experienced in the fall. If you correctly understand this then you will correctly understand the role forgiveness plays and, as I said, have a better understanding of the gospel.

I am sure most of us have been taught that there was no death before the fall. That the fall is the point where sin entered the world and as a result, death. This death that entered the world is most often understood to be spiritual death which would have taken place instantly. And then physical death, which would start to take place from that point on. It is in this understanding that most the confusion arises.

Lets first start with the understanding that there was no sin before the fall. I believe this to be an incorrect understanding. Yes! I am aware of what Paul says in Rom 5:12. But bear with me, because you will see there is a problem with that popular interpretation of what Paul is saying.
If I tell you a lie, or try and deceive you, have I not sinned? Of course I have. Did not the serpent deceive Eve (Gen 3:13, 1 Tim 2:14)? Then we have to acknowledge that yes, there was sin before the fall. Now, if physical death is the result of sin, why did it not come about until Adam's sin? Either Paul missed this, or Paul wasn't referring to physical death. And, if Paul isn't referring to physical death, is it also possible that he wasn't meaning that this was when sin first entered the literal world? Isn't it more likely that Paul was speaking in the context of man's relationship with God? It makes far more sense that both sin and physical death were present in the world, but not present in man's relationship with God.
Say you're in a new relationship. Although there is hate in the world, there is no hate within your relationship. However, given the right lie or deception, that hate could then find it's way in resulting in the end of your relationship.

There is still more to present on physical death. To begin with, physical death is never spoken of as being an evil in scripture. A possible result of evil yes, but not evil in and of itself. "But death is an enemy!" Yes, but so where we. Being an enemy doesn't make us evil, separated yes, but not evil. Remember, we were created in the image and likeness of God. Now, if death is not an evil, then logically, it has to be good. And, if death is good, then it had to exist as part of creation. I am referring only to physical death, not spiritual death.
Let's, for sake of argument, say death is an evil. Hebrews tells us that there is no forgiveness without the shedding of blood, Heb 9:22. In other words, something has to die in order for us to receive forgiveness. If death is an evil, then are we not simply exchanging one evil for another? "You sinned, therefore we must commit another sinful act so you can be forgiven!"
When God told Adam he would die when he ate from the tree, it's clear that Adam must have understood what death was.
In Gen 3:19, after God curses the ground, he tells Adam that he will return to the ground from which he came, not as part of the curse, but as a reminder. How did I come to this conclusion? Gen 3:22. If physical death is the result of sin, then it would be impossible for the tree of life to give eternal life. You cannot give eternal life to a sinful being when sin eventually leads to death. This would be a contradiction. Physical death had to have always been a part of God's creation. Why else would there be the tree of life to give eternal physical life?

"No, I disagree. The two trees represented choice! Adam could choose a life independent of God by eating from the tree of knowledge which leads to death, or an eternal life fully dependent on God represented by the tree of life."
If the trees represented a choice given by God, then why did he hand out such sever consequences when they made their choice? In fact, why put the two trees there to begin with? Without the tree of knowledge there would be no possibility of man sinning, and therefore, no death making the tree of life unnecessary.
That would be circular reasoning. Besides the tree of knowledge and the prohibition attached to it, there was nothing in all of creation that would lead man to stray from God. By placing the tree in the garden and adding the prohibition, God created the only thing that could lead man astray. He created the very problem for which he was testing man.

Recognizing that physical death was a part of God's creation helps us to better understand the fall. Since it is a part of creation, it cannot be what God was referring to when he told Adam he would die in the day he ate from the tree of knowledge. Considering Adam lived to be 930yrs, God had to be speaking of spiritual death. Another very important fact we need to understand here is that spiritual death is not the result of sin, but the punishment for sin. Sin does not result in spiritual death like a terminal cancer results in death. Spiritual death is the punishment handed out by God for sin. God's very nature cannot let sin go unpunished. Furthermore, without divine intervention, death is a final and permanent state. A very obvious but overlooked fact. You see, when Adam sinned, God removed his presence from within Adam leading to spiritual death. That was the punishment. The overlooked fact is that any sin committed by either Adam or Eve from that point on would have been of no consequence. The consequence has already taken place, that being spiritual death. I am speaking here only within the context of man's relationship with God, not man's relationship with his neighbour.

Since we all come into this world in the image and likeness of Adam, spiritually dead (we were all in Adam when Adam sinned Rom 5:12) it cannot be our sin that separates us from God. Please read that again! Eph 2:1,5 We are separated from God because we are spiritually dead! Not even God, who is spirit, can have a relationship with a spiritually dead man.

In order for God to establish the possibility of a relationship, we must first be cleansed of all our sin. This relationship is going to require spiritual life. But the problem is, God cannot give us spiritual life when we will just lose it the moment we sin. And, to make matters even worse (somehow we have all missed this), we cannot even approach God for salvation until we are first cleansed. We see this throughout the old testament. Priests had specific guidelines for purification and rituals before entering the tabernacle or temple to perform their duties. Ordinary people were also expected to adhere to certain purification rites before approaching God in worship or seeking his guidance.

What I am saying is, "Before we can be saved, we must first be forgiven our sins." You read that correctly. They are not the same thing! Our salvation is not found in getting our sins forgiven, because the forgiveness of sins is a separate issue.

In Matt 12:31, the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world tells us that all sin will be forgiven. All but the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is simply unbelief, John 16:8-9. What Jesus is saying here is that all sin, at the moment of his death, will be forgiven all men. All but their unbelief. That is the only way this verse can be correctly understood. If, forgiveness is only received at the moment we ask for it, the moment we ask to be saved, then either we are all unsaved, or Jesus lied. How so? Well, since we all come into the world unbelievers by default, and our unbelief will not be forgiven according to Jesus, none of us are saved. Or, our unbelief is forgiven at the moment we ask for forgiveness, and Jesus lied. Of course, neither is correct. When Jesus said all sin will be forgiven, he meant exactly that. Everyone who has come into the world from the cross forward, has come into the world already forgiven of their sins. Their unbelief, however, must be repented of. And until that unbelief is repented of, although they are forgiven, they remain spiritually dead and separated from God. In 1 Cor 15:17, Paul tells us, knowing full well that Jesus died for the forgiveness of sins, that if he has not been raised from the dead, our faith is futile and we are still unsaved.

The good news! When Jesus took the punishment for all sin, which means there is no more punishment to be handed out by God, this cleansed every single one of us. Everyone has been made clean in the sight of God, setting us free from the punishment of sin. Anyone can now freely approach God for salvation, wherever they are at and regardless of what they have done. No repentance of sin required since that would be a redundant act. This salvation, being new spiritual life and a relationship with God, is found in Jesus' resurrection. Jesus' death dealt with our sins over 2000yrs ago. His resurrection, however, gives us life today should we believe. Because there is no more punishment to be handed out, there is no more possibility of spiritual death. We can now have eternal life with no fear of losing it.

"Woah! You can still choose to walk away from God and lose your salvation." Really!? Explain to me how this is possible? If spiritual death is the punishment for sin, and there is no more punishment to be handed out, do you just wilfully spiritually die? Also, why would anyone choose to walk away from God other than say something terrible happens in their life for which they blame God? The emotions experienced from the suffering they are going through would obviously blind them to truth. Do you think God, knowing what they are going through, and when they need him the most, would simply let them walk away? Especially, if it wasn't for said circumstance, God would still be their first love? Would you let your child, who is blind by the hurt they are going through, destroy themselves? Or, maybe said person was deceived and led astray. Is God so small and unloving to just let them walk away? Does love not protect? Is love not faithful, Rom 8:38-39

"No no no, this is all wrong! We must do our part! We must first repent of our sins, then we will be forgiven and saved!" If repenting of your sins gives you a sense of importance and pride disguised as humility, and makes you feel like you're playing an important role in your salvation, then all the power to ya. You can choose to remain under the bondage of sin, from which Christ's death set you free, or you can choose to live by his grace. "Yeah, well that will just give people a licence to sin, wont it!?" Everyone but you, correct? Because somehow you know better than the rest of us? Give me a break! Your sin was hammered into Jesus' flesh. Your unwillingness to accept that Jesus did everything, and your only work is to believe, John 6:28-29, is a mockery of the cross and puts Jesus to shame. It's your hypocrisy that turns unbelievers off.

"Ha! Jesus said the world would hate me because of him!" Jesus told those that were with him the world would hate them, not you. Much of the world today doesn't even know who Jesus is. So, if they hate you, it's because of you.

You want to know what the true deception was that the serpent pulled over the eyes of man, and still to this day? That it's all about you! People today figure that unless they're somehow playing a role in their salvation, then they're not good enough. The result, religious attitudes. Love goes out the window... all but self love that is. The only goal of "religion" is the role you can play in your salvation. Christianity is not about you! This is contrary to what Jesus taught, Matt 22:37-40. Nowhere are you the focus. Religion divides, relationship brings people together. 1 John 4:19, God is always the initiator, we are the respondents. We do not move God according to our faith, God moves us according to our faith.

"But, there is so much in the bible about not sinning and how bad it is." Yes, there is. Much of it, however, was for the chosen people of God, the Israelite. The law was never given to us. It was given to them, but we've come along picking up the crumbs trying to make a name for ourselves. Also, we are still a part of this world in that our actions effect those around us. We don't attract people to God by what we say, we attract people to God by what we do. Our actions will always speak louder than our words. Love thy neighbour is not an emotion, it's an action. Treat your neighbour how you want to be treated is to love your neighbour. It's that simple. Don't focus on what you shouldn't be doing, focus on what you should be doing. If you're doing what you should be doing, you wont be doing what you shouldn't be doing. What is it you should be doing? Loving God and loving your neighbour.

I do not have time to address your whole post, but let’s start with some assumptions you are making.

God alone defines “sin”. Picking up sticks on the Sabbath can be “sin”, for some people at some time, but God has to define it as sin for those times, people and places.

Angels sinned prior to Adam and Eve sinning, but we are only interested in human sinning, so we should not lump them together. Prior to Eve actually eating the fruit of knowledge, she would have been selfish, lusted after the fruit and coveted the fruit, not looked for wise council, and not been helping Adam (she is his helper), but God did not make these sins at the time so they were not sin. Satan does not cause people to sin, but helps them do the sin, they are wanting to do. We are responsible for our sins.

Yes, God wants to be in a relationship with humans, but is that just any type of relationship?

Was the relationship God had with Adam and Eve prior to their sinning a “perfect’ relationship, was is equal to the relationship Christ had with God?

If God is doing His part perfectly, then humans must be lacking something to do their part perfectly, so what is Adam and Eve needing which God could not instinctively provide to Adam and Eve?

Are we trying to return to a pre-Adam and Eve prior to sin relationship or a much better relationship, Like Christ describes in John?

I fully agree we need to go back to the Garden, because there is a ton of stuff for us to learn and hopefully Adam and Eve learned and repented.

At some time in every mature adult’s life there are tragedies that cause them to wonder how a Loving God could allow such a thing to happen, which is also asking: “Why can’t we all be in a Garden type situation without sin, death, limited resources, pain, suffering, need people, hell, satan or the tree of knowledge?” The answer Adam & Eve and all of us can realize after leaving the Garden is, the Garden is an impossible place for us to fulfill our earthly objective, while this messed up world we live in today is the very best place for willing individuals to fulfill their earthly objective.

I am glad you realize physical death is not bad in and of itself, since it is the way good people get to go home and the way bad people quit doing bad stuff. Death provides urgency to our fulfilling our objective while we are still alive on earth, which is good for us. The other curses also provide help for us, so are God’s curses good for us and God is always just doing what He can to help us?

God knows man much better than man can know himself, so God is not “testing” us, but doing all He can to help willing individuals in the fulfilling of their objective.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no pleasant read for the one whose Christianity is not about faith in and trust on the atoning work (blood, Ro 3:25) and person of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sin and right standing with God; i.e., "not guilty," declared righteous (justified).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Word says death entered into the world through one man (not through God) All of mankind back then were put into the position of choice (everyone makes that choice) ... God does not force himself on anyone ...

God created everything good, good and very good (everything perfect) .... death of anything has no good in it.

There was no death in the world until the fall

The two trees represented choice!

This is true .... it was a life or death decision ... has been ever since and will continue until the return of our Lord.

Death (both spiritual and physical) is a result of sin and sin is transgression of the law.

The penalty of sin is death and that didn't happen until the fall. The fall effected the entirety of Gods creation ..... before that there were no consequences ... sin actually began in heaven with lucifer and the 1/3 of the angels, they were cast to the earth and infected it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
we cannot walk in darkness continually/willfully and expect to have a relationship with God.
Exactly. How can we be aligned with God if we constantly demand to do things our own way? The whole purpose of life is to learn we are not as smart as we think. We need to grow up to grow out of this existence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Devil's Advocate

Nov 2, 2023
Alberta
✟12,785.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how I can get this across... so let me start by saying, if you are a believer, someone who is saved, your sin is no longer of any consequence between you and God. That was the whole point of the cross. God dealt with all of it. Between you and your neighbour, however, sin is still a major issue. It is in this relationship that we must deal with our sin. We can only truly fulfill the second commandment, love thy neighbour, after we carry out the first commandment, love God. It is only through God that we are even capable of loving our neighbour the way God intends us to do so. Now, if our sin is still a problem between us and God, then we're still unsaved and unable to carry out either of the commandments.

So many Christians like to say that yes, we still sin, but God looks at our heart. As if our intentions somehow become more important after the sin committed. If you murder someone, whether you claim you didn't mean to or not, that person is still dead. The act has been done. Your intentions become irrelevant after the act. If you're so naive to think that it's not in your heart to 'intentionally' sin, then as John would say, you deceive yourself. If, and that's a big if, if it truly isn't in your heart to 'intentionally' sin, then guess what? You wouldn't sin! You know why? Because it wouldn't be in you to do so. No one hates their sin more than they love it. That is the reality of the sinful nature within us all, Rom 7:14-20. If they did, they simply wouldn't sin. You are choosing to be blind to this if you don't see that. God see's this all too well and that's why he had to deal with the sin issue, not us. We were powerless to do so. So what makes you think after getting saved you now suddenly have to do what you couldn't do before? All sin is a wilful act! None of it is done unintentionally. So rest in the work of the cross and know that regardless of sins you wilfully.. oh sorry... 'unintentionally' commit, God's grace abounds.

The whole point of my post was to show that it's not our sin that separates us from God, but the spiritual death that was a result of Adam's sin. Then to explain what the solution was and why. I don't get why anyone would choose to take three steps forward, just to take two steps back? "Yes, God has forgiven us all our sins and if we just believe in our Lord Jesus, we will be saved. "But!" We must now make sure we never sin any of the sins he forgave us ever again. We must do our part! Simply believing just isn't good enough!"
You can try and convince yourself all you want that your sins aren't intentional now that you're a Christian. However, since God knows your heart better than you do, don't you think it's him you need to convince?

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I agree with that. We are either in fellowship with God, that is, we are saved. Or, we are out of fellowship with God, this being unsaved. You can't be saved and be out of fellowship. Being in fellowship is the exact opposite to sinning. Since exact opposites cannot be true at the same time, your sin can't take you out of fellowship. You would need to sin while you're in fellowship for your sin to take you out of fellowship. This isn't possible.

According to James 2:10-11, sin is sin in the sight of God. He makes no distinction. I agree with you on a horizontal plane, per say. Sin is not the same when it comes to loving your neighbour. On a vertical plane, our relationship with God, sin is sin regardless of what that sin is. If you come to God in repentance for a sin you committed, and then later commit that same sin, or another sin, you show yourself to be a liar. You do not come to God in repentance with intention of doing it again. Repentance is not something you do over and over. It is a one time thing. Otherwise it's not repentance. It's just a fickle mind tossed about by the waves. When you repent it is with the unspoken promise that you will not do again whatever it is your repenting of. And in the sight of God, this would be sin regardless of what that sin is.

Adam's sin was not sexual immorality. It was rather small in comparison. He simply listened to the words of his wife and ate from the tree God told him not to. That was all it took to set the stage for the current state of the world.

Hi, the Holy spirit can-t live well, in you, if you sin, he is not going to totally abandon you, some kind of sins are not going to affect much, but other more serious sins are going to quench him, God is not going abandon his forgiveness for you, and you can get things right again, but His presence and Holy spirit are going to diminish, and dwindle to the point you could start to feel really bad and cold with your state with God. And you don-t want that, is dangerous.

The Holy spirit is not going to be with you they way he should be, if you keep sinning, and that is serious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A Devil's Advocate

Nov 2, 2023
Alberta
✟12,785.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, the Holy spirit can-t live well, in you, if you sin, he is not going to totally abandon you, some kind of sins are not going to affect much, but other more serious sins are going to quench him, God is not going abandon his forgiveness for you, and you can get things right again, but His presence and Holy spirit are going to diminish, and dwindle to the point you could start to feel really bad and cold with your state with God. And you don-t want that, is dangerous.

The Holy spirit is not going to be with you they way he should be, if you keep sinning, and that is serious.
NBB, to believe that 'other more serious sins are going to quench him' is to give your sin more power (and attention for that matter) than the Holy Spirit. Your sin cannot quench or silence the Holy Spirit and neither will it diminish God's presence. Think about it, God didn't just deal with your sins, but the sins of the entire world from beginning to end. He dealt with the 'entirety' of sin. The worst sin you could ever commit could never compare to the collective sins of your entire life. In fact, your entire life of sin falls infinitely short of the worlds sins collectively. It's like a perverted sense of arrogance to think your sin could ever quench the Holy Spirit.

It may be what you are trying to get across, and this I can agree with you on, is the more time you spend in sin, the less time you are spending seeking God's will in your life (to love him and to love your neighbour), Rom 8:5. Because we sense less of God's presence as a result, we mistakenly feel like, or think that, he has distanced himself from us when in reality he hasn't. You are simply spending more time with your sin than you are with God. The greater the depths of your sin, the greater your need for God becomes. He wouldn't be much of a God if it was at this point he distanced himself.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

A Devil's Advocate

Nov 2, 2023
Alberta
✟12,785.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God alone defines “sin”. Picking up sticks on the Sabbath can be “sin”, for some people at some time, but God has to define it as sin for those times, people and places.
This is no different than saying that sin is relative. Relative to time, people, and places. If sin is relative, than truth also has to be relative. If doing something in a certain place at a certain time is sin for some people but not for others (sounds a lot like present times), then so is truth. How can you know truth if truth is relative, or always changing? There must be a timeless and unchanging moral standard greater than that of the world in order for the world to be accountable.
Angels sinned prior to Adam and Eve sinning, but we are only interested in human sinning, so we should not lump them together. Prior to Eve actually eating the fruit of knowledge, she would have been selfish, lusted after the fruit and coveted the fruit, not looked for wise council, and not been helping Adam (she is his helper), but God did not make these sins at the time so they were not sin. Satan does not cause people to sin, but helps them do the sin, they are wanting to do. We are responsible for our sins.
Because there is no law does not mean there is no sin. In Rom 5:13-14, Paul makes this pretty clear. And, just because man is not held accountable for his sin doesn't mean there is no spiritual death. Sin, regardless if there is a law to point it out, is still sin and a reality.

As for Eve, until she actually ate from the tree, she had not committed any sin. From Gen 3:6, we can see that Eve hasn't done anything that wasn't acceptable according to God. She saw the fruit as being good for food and pleasing to the eye. Her response was in accordance to what God had intended... Gen 2:9. The tree of knowledge being desirable for gaining wisdom would have most likely also been an acceptable response given the name of the tree, and hence the commandment not to eat from it.

I do agree with you that Satan does not cause us to sin, but helps to encourage us to sin. For this reason, and the fact that God does nothing without intention and purpose, is why I believe Satan was in the garden in the first place. It's very unlikely neither Adam or Eve would have paid any interest in the tree of knowledge if it wasn't for Satan.
Yes, God wants to be in a relationship with humans, but is that just any type of relationship?

Was the relationship God had with Adam and Eve prior to their sinning a “perfect’ relationship, was is equal to the relationship Christ had with God?
Without eating from the tree of knowledge, there remains no knowledge of good and evil, Gen 3:5,22. Without any knowledge of good and evil how can you know God? How can you know God is not evil if you don't even know what evil is? If you don't know God, you can't willingly choose a relationship with him or a life without him. Many people like to argue you can know good without knowing evil, or even that you can know God without knowing good and evil. I have yet to have it explained to me how that is possible.
Before the fall, neither Adam or Eve could have known the character of God the way we are able to know him today. This means there was no established relationship with man and God before the fall. There is no mention of a relationship other than that of man and woman. God is love and wants us to be in a relationship with him carried out in love. Therefore, this relationship must be a choice that we are free to make, and choice requires knowledge.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is no different than saying that sin is relative. Relative to time, people, and places. If sin is relative, than truth also has to be relative. If doing something in a certain place at a certain time is sin for some people but not for others (sounds a lot like present times), then so is truth. How can you know truth if truth is relative, or always changing? There must be a timeless and unchanging moral standard greater than that of the world in order for the world to be accountable.
Who and/or what is determining sin for any action or thought at any particular time, people or place? Is there some cosmic rule book out there somewhere listing all sins for all people at any time?

Are unintentional sins of as bad as bold in God’s face rebellious disobedience?

We just want to please God, which has a lot to do with our hearts (intensions). We are not trying to be Pharisaical and set up rules and ways to get around the rules.
Because there is no law does not mean there is no sin. In Rom 5:13-14, Paul makes this pretty clear. And, just because man is not held accountable for his sin doesn't mean there is no spiritual death. Sin, regardless if there is a law to point it out, is still sin and a reality.
Is God weighing the good and bad you did to see if you past or failed or does God look at the heart of the person.
As for Eve, until she actually ate from the tree, she had not committed any sin. From Gen 3:6, we can see that Eve hasn't done anything that wasn't acceptable according to God. She saw the fruit as being good for food and pleasing to the eye. Her response was in accordance to what God had intended... Gen 2:9. The tree of knowledge being desirable for gaining wisdom would have most likely also been an acceptable response given the name of the tree, and hence the commandment not to eat from it.

I do agree with you that Satan does not cause us to sin, but helps to encourage us to sin. For this reason, and the fact that God does nothing without intention and purpose, is why I believe Satan was in the garden in the first place. It's very unlikely neither Adam or Eve would have paid any interest in the tree of knowledge if it wasn't for Satan.

Without eating from the tree of knowledge, there remains no knowledge of good and evil, Gen 3:5,22. Without any knowledge of good and evil how can you know God? How can you know God is not evil if you don't even know what evil is? If you don't know God, you can't willingly choose a relationship with him or a life without him. Many people like to argue you can know good without knowing evil, or even that you can know God without knowing good and evil. I have yet to have it explained to me how that is possible.
Before the fall, neither Adam or Eve could have known the character of God the way we are able to know him today. This means there was no established relationship with man and God before the fall. There is no mention of a relationship other than that of man and woman. God is love and wants us to be in a relationship with him carried out in love. Therefore, this relationship must be a choice that we are free to make, and choice requires knowledge.
God is always “good” so Adam and Eve could know good, but I do not know if we need the knowledge of evil to know God is not evil and how that would even help in our appreciation of God.

What we do need to know is we are evil (sinners) and in need of God’s Love (mercy, grace, charity and Love).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
NBB, to believe that 'other more serious sins are going to quench him' is to give your sin more power (and attention for that matter) than the Holy Spirit. Your sin cannot quench or silence the Holy Spirit and neither will it diminish God's presence. Think about it, God didn't just deal with your sins, but the sins of the entire world from beginning to end. He dealt with the 'entirety' of sin. The worst sin you could ever commit could never compare to the collective sins of your entire life. In fact, your entire life of sin falls infinitely short of the worlds sins collectively. It's like a perverted sense of arrogance to think your sin could ever quench the Holy Spirit.

It may be what you are trying to get across, and this I can agree with you on, is the more time you spend in sin, the less time you are spending seeking God's will in your life (to love him and to love your neighbour), Rom 8:5. Because we sense less of God's presence as a result, we mistakenly feel like, or think that, he has distanced himself from us when in reality he hasn't. You are simply spending more time with your sin than you are with God. The greater the depths of your sin, the greater your need for God becomes. He wouldn't be much of a God if it was at this point he distanced himself.

You are wrong, the presence of God and the Holy spirit are easily quenched by sins, he can't live in dirt.
If people think like you, maybe is because somehow they haven't experienced God close to them. The less you want to do in the presence of God is offend his spirit with sins.

Saul even gave prophecies, he lost the Sprit he was given because he didn't repent.
David sinned and cried out to God 'Don't take from me your spirit!!!'' he cared, but suffered because of his sin anyway he felt dry and worse.

“Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
and justified when you judge.
Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.”

Verses 10–12 are perhaps the most famous of Psalm 51:

“Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.”

Last edited: