Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My concern now is the Fall. Cases will go down starting now, no matter what. But if we don’t get enough people vaccinated, it will be back in the fall. We’re on track in NJ to meet the state goal of 70% of adults. Assuming it’s approved for teens shortly, the schools can require it for them. We might make it. Not so sure about the rest of the country.

But the virus is supposedly constantly mutating, leading to new variants all the time. So what's the solution? I can see only two:

1. Keep getting vaccinated for every new strain every two months for the rest of our lives, or

2. Hide in the bottoms of coal mines for 800 years, a lá Dr. Strangelove.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My concern now is the Fall. Cases will go down starting now, no matter what. But if we don’t get enough people vaccinated, it will be back in the fall. We’re on track in NJ to meet the state goal of 70% of adults. Assuming it’s approved for teens shortly, the schools can require it for them. We might make it. Not so sure about the rest of the country.

Right now we haven't gotten to the place we were last year at this time and many places in the US are volunteering to become virus reservoirs where it will be bounce around and mutate so that we'll never get out of this situation.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,943.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But the virus is supposedly constantly mutating, leading to new variants all the time. So what's the solution? I can see only two:

1. Keep getting vaccinated for every new strain every two months for the rest of our lives, or

Don't be silly. A virus needs a non vaccinated population to create new variants, which is why there is a push to maximize vaccination.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Don't be silly. A virus needs a non vaccinated population to create new variants, which is why there is a push to maximize vaccination.

A sufficiently mutated virus could spread successfully in a vaccinated population. It's simply more likely to get one if there is a large unvaccinated population.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,943.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A sufficiently mutated virus could spread successfully in a vaccinated population. It's simply more likely to get one if there is a large unvaccinated population.
Indeed, it is about giving the virus the opportunity to mutate. It is what makes the failure to make the vaccines readily available to everyone worrying.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Johnson and Johnson ruined 15 million doses of the vaccine, by mixing up the ingredients and everyone wants to preach how safe it is? That is just that we know of. I will say it again. These people don't know what they are doing and I don't trust what they are concocting to put into my body! They aren't helping the cause much are they? I just keep on hearing more and more reasons not to get it while they keep trying to shove it down our throats. What is in the vaccine that they want us to have so bad?? Because it isn't to fight the virus. More people who have been vaccinated are getting Covid than those who aren't vaccinated! So what is really in the vaccine? What does it really do to us?

Redirect Notice
I am not getting the vaccine because statistically I am more likely to die from the vaccine than with the virus. So I will take my chances.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am not getting the vaccine because statistically I am more likely to die from the vaccine than with the virus. So I will take my chances.
You’d have to be under 18, which you don’t seem to be.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Maybe the pharmaceutical industry can figure a way to combine the annual influenza vaccination with the SC2 vaccination?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe the pharmaceutical industry can figure a way to combine the annual influenza vaccination with the SC2 vaccination?

I'm sure they'd love that---they'll make even more money!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure they'd love that---they'll make even more money!

Yeah they’ll be raking it in!
[Picture=price/dose]
51C2895A-B388-4F76-8BA1-358B04596D6E.jpeg

Source

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Let us not forget that when insulin was first released, it was free to those who needed it. Look at it now.
Are you in favor of the government dictating to private enterprise much much they are allowed to charge for vaccines?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah they’ll be raking it in!
This line of argument never made any sense to me. Where do you think a pharma company is going to make money? A shot that most people get a couple times in their lives, or the medications to treat a disease? Given the cost to research and produce a vaccine, it seems to me that from a purely profit motive the real money is in treatment, not prevention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, it is about giving the virus the opportunity to mutate. It is what makes the failure to make the vaccines readily available to everyone worrying.

I would predict that we're going to fail either way on this count because vaccinating the third world isn't a top priority of every nation on earth.

It's just disheartening that we're also going to fail because people right here in America are embarrassingly stupid even when given every advantage.

It's also odd that we have the vaccines and the perfect opportunity to show that we actually give a crap about people on earth at large and we're probably still going to fail at it.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you in favor of the government dictating to private enterprise much much they are allowed to charge for vaccines?

In cases where the withholding of a medication spells a death sentence for a patient who needs the medication---such as insulin, for example---the medication should not be permitted to be priced so high that the patient is forced to choose between remaining alive or facing impoverished destitution. Such a choice is like choosing whether you want to give up air, or water: you can only have one!

Insulin, however, is not the only medication produced the pharma industry, however. I'm sure they'll make plenty of cash. I could give my opinion of big pharma, but I'm tired of getting suspended.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In cases where the withholding of a medication spells a death sentence for a patient who needs the medication---such as insulin, for example---the medication should not be permitted to be priced so high that the patient is forced to choose between remaining alive or facing impoverished destitution. Such a choice is like choosing whether you want to give up air, or water: you can only have one!

Insulin, however, is not the only medication produced the pharma industry, however. I'm sure they'll make plenty of cash. I could give my opinion of big pharma, but I'm tired of getting suspended.
Conservatives, as a rule, usually don’t like the state (be it Federal, State or Local Government) telling private businesses how much profit that they can squeeze out of the products that they sell.
If conservatives wish to go down this path I’m sure that the usual “fellow-travelers” can provide some guidance or ideas to flesh out this process.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you..... plan on getting younger?
No...I am anticipating the odds of vaccine complications will only increase within the year.

Upvote 0