Do you think Trump will be a better President than Obama?

Obama or Trump?

• Obama

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Trump

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All you need to do is remember Afghanistan to kill that argument. A militia doesn't need every weapon the government uses. Only those which an average soldier carries. To replace the government, you don't have to defeat the army, only make it too costly for them to destroy the opposition. What good is preserving the status quo if the government must kill half the population to do it?

They weren't thinking of Afghanistan in the 1770's.

Upvote 0

sea oat

Jul 30, 2010
✟8,974.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are writing the words of a hymn on an American politics forum, what is wrong with you?
get your head out of the clouds and come down to earth, religion has no place in politics, politics is about real life not fantasy.

How dreadful, right?? It might have been more suitable if he'd have written such a thing on a Christian forum. Oh wait...

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
They weren't thinking of Afghanistan in the 1770's.

Same thing. The colonists made it too expensive for the King to keep control over them. They didn't need to defeat him, only drive back his armies until he realized that he could not win.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Same thing. The colonists made it too expensive for the King to keep control over them. They didn't need to defeat him, only drive back his armies until he realized that he could not win.

... by building a federal army... and state militias.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Fifty years ago I was in diapers, literally. Do I think the courts overstepped when they meddled in state affairs? Yes, whether the outcome is what we prefer or not, there is a second result. Taking away power from the state and people that do not belong to the courts or to the federal government.

My bad -- I should've used the present tense -- that you are against striking down interracial marriage bans...

I think when the feds and the courts step in, they may change actions, but the cause hard feelings that last much longer. From the Civil War you got Jim Crow laws and the KKK. Forced desegregation caused a decade or so of violence and the hard feelings have still not gone away completely. Interracial marriage was never as much a problem as the racism that people still deal with, and it isn't only from the whites.

True -- one cannot legislate hearts and minds. one can only set the stage, and let people see that their fears are unfounded.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My bad -- I should've used the present tense -- that you are against striking down interracial marriage bans...

I am against government interference in state or local matters. Whether the outcome is desirable or not.

True -- one cannot legislate hearts and minds. one can only set the stage, and let people see that their fears are unfounded.

Or one can trust people and let them make their choices. You may end up with a problem state or ten, but that is better than a rogue national government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
"Riot" does not refer to gasoline prices or the stock market average. Not for most people.

Think Ferguson, "Pigs in a blanket, fry them...," almost daily reports of police being murdered...and tremendous spikes in murders in urban centers. Then then think of Obama going to Alaska to play with Bear Grylls without expressing a single word of regret, let alone attend one of these funerals like any caring person would. That'll get you started.

You do realize that police deaths are actually down under Obama, don't you?

2000 162
2001 241
2002 159
2003 150
2004 165
2005 163
2006 156
2007 192
2008 148
2009 125
2010 161
2011 171
2012 126
2013 107
2014 117

http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/year.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am against government interference in state or local matters. Whether the outcome is desirable or not.

A noble sentiment. However, we still have a Constitution which our government -- on every level -- must abide by. It's what makes us a United States of America, not fifty little fiefdoms and the District of Columbia.

Or one can trust people and let them make their choices. You may end up with a problem state or ten, but that is better than a rogue national government.

Last time we had a "problem state or ten," they tried to secede and form a rogue national government of their own. We amended our Constitution shortly afterwards precisely to prevent that sort of thing from happening again.

Benefit of the doubt here; I'm assuming you don't want history to repeat itself?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that police deaths are actually down under Obama, don't you?
"Police deaths?"

Get me data on ritual assassinations of police officers committed by people who are motivated by the idea of race war. THEN, we'll talk. :)

Reactions: Avid
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
"Police deaths?"

Get me data on ritual assassinations of police officers committed by people who are motivated by the idea of race war. THEN, we'll talk. :)

You're the one making a spurious claim about police being killed, have been provided data showing your claim is false, and then try to put the onus of finding data to support your claim on me. Priceless.

You made a false statement, provided no evidential support, discounted evidence against your claim, but are sticking to your guns on your original false statement.

You get me the data on these "daily" police assassinations that are happening, and THEN we can discuss. Until then, i've shown that police deaths are down under Obama using those pesky things called facts.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You're the one making a spurious claim about police being killed
I commented on the news of the day. If you believe that no police officers have been shot in recent days by racially motivated attackers, and despite the news reports, go ahead and prove it. Throw in something about the Moon Landing being staged in Hollywood, too, if you must.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I commented on the news of the day. If you have some data that counters it, go ahead and show it to us.

So your claim is there are more police being killed resulting in fewer police deaths. And it's all Obama's fault!.

Enjoy your cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So your claim is "there are more police being killed resulting in fewer police deaths. And it's all Obama's fault!".

I see quotation marks there, but I never said that.

If you can't substantiate your claim without misrepresenting the other poster, what does that say about your claim in the first place??

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I see quotation marks there, but I never said that.

If you can't substantiate your claim without misrepresenting the other poster, what does that say about your claim in the first place??

I took out the quotation marks.

1. You claimed there are more police being killed under Obama.

2. I have presented (and you have not refuted) data showing fewer police deaths under Obama.

3. You blamed the increased number of police being killed (while fewer police are dying) on Obama.

Feel free to tell me what about my representation about your claim is incorrect.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I took out the quotation marks.

1. You claimed there are more police being killed under Obama.
Not just in that way. I was specific about the kinds of deaths and the reasons for them. You don't want to deal with that and your statistics were not about that.

Upvote 0