Do you carry a firearm in church?

Do you carry a firearm in church?

• Nope. Against my religious beliefs.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Nope. I don't think there is a need and/or just not comfortable with the idea.

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
Oct 13, 2010
✟8,594.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My husband carries every service, but as retired Law Enforcement he pretty much carries all the time. I have to admit, I find security in knowing he does.
Hi,

As someone who lives and worships in a location and culture where the carrying of firearms is not the 'norm' it does - I have to admit - present me with a challenge in knowing exactly how I feel about the reality that folk are carrying them in church.

However, I think that my being challenged by such a thing is understandable within my experience base and culture.

In truth, I am not sure how I really feel about it. On the one hand it saddens me that the gathering of believers to give glory to and worship the Lord - an activity which is in itself intended to be holy, should be impacted by a need which is presented as a result of the way the world is today. And yet, on the other hand that is the very reality of it isn't it? That it is how the world is today and that in some places and some cultures that need - to carry arms, even in the midst of a gathering, is very real.

But what is on my heart, more than anything else at the moment, in this regard - and the reason for my writing this comment to you (albeit in a long and protracted way perhaps) is that regardless of our personal beliefs, opinions or convictions concerning the carrying of firearms in the midst of a gathering of believers. We should recognise and show our appreciation for those whose hearts ( as I believe this several comments, including yours, within thread have demonstrated) - are for the welfare of those believers a desire that those believers should be protected.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Believe it or not, in colonial times Virginians were required by law to bring their guns to church, to be ready for Indian (Native American) attacks...

Which seems strange now, given the peaceful co-existence of Indians with other Virginians in modern life.

54y7ae.jpg

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Can I ask - and please understand that I ask this respectfully and with no judgement intended - how does this (what seems to be a perceived) need to watch everyone around you, impact your ability to worship?

Isn't one of the primary reasons for attending church to join in with corporate worship where as a body of believers we focus on the Lord? If you are focusing on what is going on around you and looking for such indicators or agitation, nervousness in others etc, how are you able to truly focus on the Lord or to fully immerse in the worship?

Let me place into a little context. I am from Ireland and we do not have (or perhaps I should say do not yet have) such a gun comfortable culture. So the whole thing is, admittedly, perhaps alien to me. But as the Lead Audio Visual Engineer for the church that I attend my focus is obviously on the role that I am undertaking. And I find it so very difficult to fully focus on the Lord.

Many thanks.

We do not watch everyone around us and this does not negatively impact out ability to worship.

John

Upvote 0

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have watched cowboy and Indian movies/tv shows all my life. Everyone (males) carried a pistol. Is this true, did everyone carry firearms wherever they went?

:)-
Depends on whether you were in Prattville, Alabama or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have watched cowboy and Indian movies/tv shows all my life. Everyone (males) carried a pistol. Is this true, did everyone carry firearms wherever they went?

When I was in the military, I served with people from all over the country and the world(my best mate was German born and grew up in Australia). Whenever someone learned I was from Idaho and the Wild West, I got two main questions; Did I grow potatoes, and did Indians still attack my homestead. It's amazing just how ignorant people are...

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
.,.,. It's amazing just how ignorant people are...

Ok, I am the ignorant one in the class. I could research this to find the answer but I am the lazy one in the class. Someone in the know tell me, did folks in the cowboy days carry a firearm wherever they went?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My understanding (which is not all-inclusive) is that many carried guns, but not all. A pistol, belt, and ammunition cost several months pay for a cowboy or other low-paid laborer in the 1870s. Also, many cowboys were black, and many regions of the country took a dim view of blacks owning guns. Many towns also forbid wearing guns within their boundries, so "everyone going armed everywhere" is probably not realistic.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding (which is not all-inclusive) is that many carried guns, but not all. A pistol, belt, and ammunition cost several months pay for a cowboy or other low-paid laborer in the 1870s. Also, many cowboys were black, and many regions of the country took a dim view of blacks owning guns. Many towns also forbid wearing guns within their boundries, so "everyone going armed everywhere" is probably not realistic.

Pretty much true, but a whole lot depends on the time period--times and places evolved very quickly as "law and order" rolled west.

Most men were not cowboys, but farmers, herders, shopkeepers, et cetera. As you said, not even most cowboys owned guns, as a cowboy was indeed a low-wage laborer. Those who owned handguns generally had retained their Civil War issued weapons. The standard weapon for defense and hunting was a rifle, and a farmer or herder was much more likely to own a rifle as his single weapon than a handgun.

Actually, blacks weren't seriously hampered from owning weapons in the West until quite a bit later.

And it's very true that as towns became incorporated, the clamped down hard on handguns. In fact, even in Texas carrying a handgun in public was quite strictly prohibited by state law from the late 1800s until the 1990s.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I live in the far north, MN. My church is in a town of about 250 and I do carry, no permit (didn't want to be on another government list) and the probability of a shooting in the congregation of around 75 is pretty slim, so I leave it in the truck. There is a possibility of a black bear greeting me in my driveway when I return, so theres always one there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TrueBornAgain

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Tablelands
✟11,985.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have my concealed carry license and have had it for years. However, I never carry a concealed weapon. In fact, I keep all of my weapons locked up in my gun safe. In my way of thinking, material possessions are not worth taking a human life. I am a truly born again Christian and to me, takiing a life before that person has had the opportunity to receive Christ would be terrible. The main reason that I even have the concealed carry license is because I legally own two silencers and when I go to shoot weapons mounted with the suppressors I legally have to also carry the individual license for each suppressor. If I were stopped by the authorities, I have all of my licenses with me just in case. I held at one time, my federal firearms license as well as as my federal heavy explosives license. I never personally bought heavy explosives but the ex navy seals types we used to detonate unexploded ordnance used my license to purchase the explosives needed to detonate said ordnance. Cutting a man's life short before he might accept Christ is too terrible to comprehend.

Hmmm. So does this mean you would stand by and let some evil nut shoot up a congregation even if you weren't carrying your weapon, in the hope he/she would maybe find our Lord after the carnage? Unless I got it wrong, does your post suggest a evil murderous nutters life is worth more than a whole congregation of good citizens serving the Lord ?

I'd add to the thread also to say:

- If someone went to those lengths to take innocent life, then what would be the chance they would be worth something to society after life in Prison ?

- would people who do carry in congregation shoot to kill in such a scenario or to injure ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
would people who do carry in congregation shoot to kill in such a scenario or to injure ?

Neither - you shoot to STOP the attacker.

No one is a good enough shot to choose "kill" or "injure".

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
to me, takiing a life before that person has had the opportunity to receive Christ would be terrible.

That is in God's hands. How do you know? Maybe the person in question has had countless more opportunity than most? In fact, every minute we live is another opportunity to repent and turn to God.

No one is a good enough shot to choose "kill" or "injure".

So true. Because of what they see in movies, many people have false ideas about this.

• Agree
Reactions: Clovis Man
Upvote 0

TrueBornAgain

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Tablelands
✟11,985.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is in God's hands. How do you know? Maybe the person in question has had countless more opportunity than most? In fact, every minute we live is another opportunity to repent and turn to God.

Well said, and people lie in the bed they make for themselves. It's never too late to make good with God.

Upvote 0

Clovis Man

LCMS - Recovering Baptist
Site Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Clovis, New Mexico USA
✟53,767.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a truly born again Christian and to me, takiing a life before that person has had the opportunity to receive Christ would be terrible.
<snip>
Cutting a man's life short before he might accept Christ is too terrible to comprehend.

So true. Because of what they see in movies, many people have false ideas about this.

I have spoken with several people in the past, who espoused the idea that, unless lives were at stake, they would simply draw their pistol and watch a crime, say a robbery for instance. Unless the bad guy started to hurt somebody, in which case the bad guy would get shot. But for a simple robbery, they would let the bad guy go, simply for the reason mentioned above.

I've thought that in the past, but I have to admit it would be terribly difficult to do that.

Upvote 0