Do you carry a firearm in church?

Do you carry a firearm in church?

• Nope. Against my religious beliefs.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Nope. I don't think there is a need and/or just not comfortable with the idea.

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
With the current threat in the national news of the domestic terrorist from Wisconsin threatening to target churches and schools, was wondering if you carry a firearm in church.

I used to go to a Baptist church in Idaho in which the preacher always had a little Glock 26 concealed on him, even when preaching. He said it was well within Biblical teaching to do so.

I never felt particularly threatened in church and just wasn't comfortable carrying a firearm while worshipping, so I didn't.

A few months ago, a local pastor was gunned down by a crazy guy during services.

And since the election, tensions have increased between the two political sides as noted by the previously mentioned person.

I think it is prudent to be prepared against evil men, but I do not begrudge anyone who feels differently as I likely felt the same just a short time ago.

*Edited the post to remove any language that may be construed as inflammatory towards a certain political ideology.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftw1029

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have always carried in church. I also watch for indicators of agitation, looking nervous around the room, possibly selecting a target person or area, moving around during the sermon. I watch the doors for any unusual activity including fast moving shadows, noise, changes in air. We have a deacon outside and one at each entrance but I see them get a little lax sometimes. My wife carries in her..., not going to say. Mine is on my hip or ankle. Others in the church know that I carry and I know them and we know were each of us have them in case (1) we have a heart attack or similar accident and we can get it before any EMT's or police get there and secure it, (2) in case we go down during an incident the others know where to get an additional firearm or ammo if necessary. Our pastor has not told anyone to carry but when you ask him if it is o.k. he says, do what the sign at the door says. It says "Welcome" and that is all.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I attended a larger church in AZ and they had off-duty officers as security. I would occasionally already have my pistol on me while shopping before church, so I just left it on. Still felt odd having a gun in church back then.

Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's an old Muslim hadith: Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel.

Basically, trusting that God will watch out for you is not the same as completely disregarding your own safety. One should not take unnecessary risks with the notion that God will prevent bad outcomes. That would be testing God, which is a big no-no in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Seems like such a hassle to get a concealed carry permit.

It really depends on the state and sometimes even the county within the state that you live.

In Arizona, no concealed carry permit is required. You can carry a concealed firearm pretty much anywhere that allows it. Schools and federal buildings are a no-no, as well as whatever business posts a sign.

Same with my neighboring state, Idaho.

In Washington, I went to the Sherriff's office, filled out a sheet of paper with my information, then they fingerprinted me and took my picture. I wrote a check for $50 or so. Took about a half an hour. In about 3-4 weeks I got my permit in the mail.

In AZ, you can still get a CCW permit for when you visit other states that still require a permit. I had to take an 8-hour course that cost $125, then fill out the paperwork and pay another $50 or so.

But I highly recommend the course; even for an old salt like me, I learned things I didn't know and remembered things I had forgotten. Knowledge is a good thing.

But yes, in some states it is a huge hassle...

Reactions: ftw1029
Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No offense but I think this whole "I need tons and tons of guns to defend myself from other people with tons and tons of guns" mentality is just a recipe for disaster.

Yep. Just ask the Jewish people...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I never felt particularly threatened in church and just wasn't comfortable carrying a firearm while worshipping, so I didn't.

Is there a fire extinguisher in your church?

trusting that God will watch out for you is not the same as completely disregarding your own safety. One should not take unnecessary risks with the notion that God will prevent bad outcomes. That would be testing God, which is a big no-no in the Bible.

Well said.

Upvote 0

Brent W

Tech Admin
Mar 6, 2015
Alabama
Visit site
✟146,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just a reminder this thread is not about gun control or debating it.

2. This forum is intended to be informational and not for debate. There may be some disagreements, but these should be handled with grace towards one another rather than attacking one another.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Back to the OP. . . I would ask, if you are a Christian and carry everywhere else, why wouldn't you carry in church? I think that you would run into some trickily theological issues if you acted differently in church than you do elsewhere.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of us carry guns. We live in a very rural area and no one wants to be greeted with a poisonous snake or really ticked-off bear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I guess when I look at this issue I look at where people who have evil intent are most likely to act out that intent. I think history shows us that the vast majority of these crimes take place where the perpetrator believes he will encounter the least resistance, be able to expend the most rounds without interruption, and cause the most damage. Gun free zones are fabulous places for murderous activity because the murderer knows most folks are law abiding (yes, even those that carry guns) and they are all sitting ducks. Having said all that, I carry every place that is allowed by law, including church; and if concealed carry is not allowed, I avoid those places like the plague.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was asked to carry in our church. The pastor got to know me and what I used to do for a living and some instruction I used to provide.
I helped him obtain his CCW and he regularly carries in church.
I will 75% of the time, but I don't want to be "church security". Not sure why I feel hesitant. I guess I want to leave that kind of work behind, but the world tends to follow you and doesn't care about you wanting to take a break. I wish there wasn't a need to arm, especially in church, but....

Anyway, we researched the legality and security practices and there are 4 of us, including the pastor. Members tend to take positions closest to doors and on aisle side seats.

We have never felt that we needed to act, but we have had an increase in visitors being disruptive during service and shouting inappropriate things and being asked to leave. Unfortunately I can see a time coming when even a small rural church, like ours, will be targeted.

Add....If you're itching for a gun debate and to have people who do not live in America criticize and educate Americans on how they should live, go to the San Bernardino School Shooting thread.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Carrying a firearm requires a person to be more highly alert and tactically aware than is necessary without one. I am in Condition Yellow in all other places. I am not in Condition Yellow while I am in corporate worship of the Lord, while in prayer, while taking communion, while lifting my voice in praise--nor do I intend to be.

If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose.

At our church we hire uniformed police and we also have an armed (concealed) Men of Valor ministry that maintains security at all meetings. They are trained to operate as a team, are in constant communication with each other, and know the facilities like the backs of their hands, and run through frequent exercises.

While we worship, their ministry is to watch.

Upvote 0