Do you carry a firearm in church?

Do you carry a firearm in church?

• Nope. Against my religious beliefs.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Yes.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • Nope. I don't think there is a need and/or just not comfortable with the idea.

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters

Kevin McCabe

Jul 1, 2019
London
Visit site
✟15,975.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Old Calendarist Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have always carried in church. I also watch for indicators of agitation, looking nervous around the room, possibly selecting a target person or area, moving around during the sermon. I watch the doors for any unusual activity including fast moving shadows, noise, changes in air. We have a deacon outside and one at each entrance but I see them get a little lax sometimes. My wife carries in her..., not going to say. Mine is on my hip or ankle. Others in the church know that I carry and I know them and we know were each of us have them in case (1) we have a heart attack or similar accident and we can get it before any EMT's or police get there and secure it, (2) in case we go down during an incident the others know where to get an additional firearm or ammo if necessary. Our pastor has not told anyone to carry but when you ask him if it is o.k. he says, do what the sign at the door says. It says "Welcome" and that is all.
Nice one.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
With the current threat in the national news of the domestic terrorist from Wisconsin threatening to target churches and schools, was wondering if you carry a firearm in church.

I used to go to a Baptist church in Idaho in which the preacher always had a little Glock 26 concealed on him, even when preaching. He said it was well within Biblical teaching to do so.

I never felt particularly threatened in church and just wasn't comfortable carrying a firearm while worshipping, so I didn't.

A few months ago, a local pastor was gunned down by a crazy guy during services.

And since the election, tensions have increased between the two political sides as noted by the previously mentioned person.

I think it is prudent to be prepared against evil men, but I do not begrudge anyone who feels differently as I likely felt the same just a short time ago.

*Edited the post to remove any language that may be construed as inflammatory towards a certain political ideology.

I have, a few times, in Florida, churches are not on the prohibited list of places we cannot carry. However, the church I attend now has a K through 8 school, so I don't anymore.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since my original post I have moved to Colorado, specifically Boulder County. The second most anti-gun community in the state. We had to start over to get our CHL (CCW here) and while it is illegal to carry openly in the city of Boulder, they were very friendly toward the CC issue.

In this modern world the church is becoming more hated and more ridiculed and more misunderstood. At this time we attend a small mountain church and while waiting for my CHL I am not carrying. Nobody could shoot up a church here and get away cleanly. The mountain roads are too easy to blockade and you can bet the LEO's here would not care about insulting a tourist by asking them to open their trunks.

With or without my carry I fully depend on the Lord to see to my protection. I am not afraid of dying nor do I worry about what will happen to my soul if I should die at the hands of a thug or crazy person. What I carry for is because I know first hand the anguish a family goes through when their innocent loved ones have been the victims of ugly violence at the hands of a person who should not be allowed in public, and THAT is why I carry in church. Still, I pray every Sunday to come home after the service and take a peaceful nap.

• Winner
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found out that someone at my church does carry a gun. I had no idea since it was concealed so well! When I thought guns in church, I assumed it would be armed guards with something harder to conceal. Good to know my mental image was incorrect in this case. I think one person with a concealed pistol is a lot less scary to churchgoers than armed guards.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Think of it this way. If you are on condition yellow 65% of the time, but then find there are times that you lose all sense of situational awareness - so what? In fact, you might carry into church services and sit the entire service without noticing any one thing around you. The fact is that it is not necessary to be 100% aware just to justify that you are carrying. What about this? You go to the restroom halfway through the service because you forgot and took your diuretic (like I have too many times) and you are walking back to the service and the unthinkable happens? Or, later, after the service while you and the family are walking to the car? We never know what is going to happen when. In that same context, my wife also carries in her purse and she makes no excuses about it. They have too many cases of bad guys stalking and thinking the church ladies aren't aware nor protected. Motto: Semper Paratus.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Times do change, our rights that were the foundation of our land are being trampled on.
Christians are percieved as enemy's to many, for the sake of our Lord .
It is written we will endure persecution for Christ.
A great Man of God died recently, His calling was to bring the Gospel to Africa.
Reinhardt Bonnke, had services as far as the eye could see packed with people.
The numbers of people who came to Christ during His mission , is near 100 million.
Many are being murdered every day, possibility more than any other time world wide.

As Jesus prepared for the Cross,He said this:

Luke 22: 35. And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. 38. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
Now we look for His return, and our commision is still the same.

So in a hypothetical set of circumstances, if we asked Christ in Person should we prevent the killing of God's people by using weapons?
I know what the answer would be.

Christ alone had to die for us, we are given our commision , being a victim is not our commision.
Logically there is no difference between a man carrying a gun, or a hammer.
It is the intention of the man that counts.
I go to a Church where most of the founders and members were raised in the country farm community.
I do not carry in Church , because we have navy seals and police who go there, along with many with military backgrounds.
I wouldn't care if they open carried.
After all working with them building somthing with hammers ,no one is attacking the workers with their hammers.
I have yet to see a gun in our Church, I know the parking lot is being watched by somthing more than a pistol, so we can Worship our Lord without thinking about the World.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I might add ,our Church is in the vicinity of a very violent armed gang.
It's ironic we did not think much about them , nor are we bothered by them.
Even gangs show some respect to God's house.
Much more than radical oppressive zealots.

• Agree
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Here is an interesting video:

That's all well and good, but I want to know His reaction in a active shooter situation.
It's not so much about what they carry, it's about their location during a conflict.
We have one way in,and people on both sides.
As well the door is monitored by camera outside from a upper level.
Any events the fire would go toward the door ,and not across the congregation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I attended a larger church in AZ and they had off-duty officers as security. I would occasionally already have my pistol on me while shopping before church, so I just left it on. Still felt odd having a gun in church back then.

I don’t personally but I know people who do. I own a firearm but it stays in my vehicle lost the time. What part of AZ? (Mohave Country here)

Upvote 0

Hiep

Jan 17, 2020
watertown
✟104,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With the current threat in the national news of the domestic terrorist from Wisconsin threatening to target churches and schools, was wondering if you carry a firearm in church.

I used to go to a Baptist church in Idaho in which the preacher always had a little Glock 26 concealed on him, even when preaching. He said it was well within Biblical teaching to do so.

I never felt particularly threatened in church and just wasn't comfortable carrying a firearm while worshipping, so I didn't.

A few months ago, a local pastor was gunned down by a crazy guy during services.

And since the election, tensions have increased between the two political sides as noted by the previously mentioned person.

I think it is prudent to be prepared against evil men, but I do not begrudge anyone who feels differently as I likely felt the same just a short time ago.

*Edited the post to remove any language that may be construed as inflammatory towards a certain political ideology.
I do not carry a gun in church because I don't have one and I'm not old enough. I would if I feel it to be necessary. Where I live is relatively peaceful.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am a sheepdog. Called to defend the flock so others can worship without fear. (I want a t-shirt) I carried since I got my CCW, then I was asked to be a part of the security team. replying on so many old posts.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don’t personally but I know people who do. I own a firearm but it stays in my vehicle lost the time. What part of AZ? (Mohave Country here)
I was born in Pima county, Tucson. But moved away after the military.

Upvote 0

Hiep

Jan 17, 2020
watertown
✟104,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I found out that someone at my church does carry a gun. I had no idea since it was concealed so well! When I thought guns in church, I assumed it would be armed guards with something harder to conceal. Good to know my mental image was incorrect in this case. I think one person with a concealed pistol is a lot less scary to churchgoers than armed guards.
Arm guards are pretty intimidating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I’m pretty sure nobody but my wife knows I’m armed. Some lady pointed down at my pant leg a few months ago and said it was hooked on my boot. But it was the other leg. My wife rolled her eyes.

Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I’ve carried a gun almost every day for almost 50 years. That includes in houses of worship. No one knows I am carrying because my guns are concealed. Isn’t that the idea behind CCW? If someone can tell that you’re carrying then your not doing it right.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hiep

Jan 17, 2020
watertown
✟104,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I’ve carried a gun almost every day for almost 50 years. That includes in houses of worship. No one knows I am carrying because my guns are concealed. Isn’t that the idea behind CCW? If someone can tell that you’re carrying then your not doing it right.
Concealed and carry is a great idea for teachers in school too. Statistically, people who have concealed and carry weapons are least likely to commit crimes.

• Agree
Upvote 0