Do I have the right to tell someone that their beliefs are wrong??

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Too many Christians can win arguments, but in the process lose friends. The Gospel is so much more that this. Triumphalism is not the Spirit of Christ.(There plenty of this here on CF). We can walk away justified, but God will judge our words. A parrot can quote scripture too. It's sad we always must be right, ("whoever wants to be first"). Humility is fine art we all need to work on.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong?? Or should I just drop the subject and not defend the bible?? I was recently told that it's very disrespectful and hateful to tell another person that their beliefs are wrong. I was always taught to correct your brother, and that if the bible offends them, it's their problem. I was told I shouldn't worry if it upsets them because it's the truth. As long as I'm not quoting the bible to cause other's pain, I shouldn't worry if the bible offends someone. But I was just recently told that it's very wrong to tell another person they're wrong. What do you all think?

Romans 14:5 gives us Paul's advice

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind

Reactions: GuyNad
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong?? Or should I just drop the subject and not defend the bible?? I was recently told that it's very disrespectful and hateful to tell another person that their beliefs are wrong. I was always taught to correct your brother, and that if the bible offends them, it's their problem. I was told I shouldn't worry if it upsets them because it's the truth. As long as I'm not quoting the bible to cause other's pain, I shouldn't worry if the bible offends someone. But I was just recently told that it's very wrong to tell another person they're wrong. What do you all think?

I agree with what someone else has stated: what is the sin you think they are committing?

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is not "God police" nor are we to do what the sweet sweet holy Spirit does. Not talking about those over us. Someone said here our own interpretation could be wrong. So you could end up doing more harm then good.

But.. know that what Christ has started in them He will finish. JESUS is real. Just talk to them.. talk as friends.. maybe I have it wrong.. talk. We seem to leave that beam in our eye and try to help get that spec out of our brothers sys

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong??

It all depends. We are required at times to have discernment in knowing and appreciating whether the person will even be receptive. That requires being led by the Spirit of God. Get the feel from his Spirit what if anything you should do. I don't believe there's one cookie cutter answer to this.

Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you. Prov 9:8

As you can see the verse above allows for both possibilities. Also what's your attitude and motive, way and manner in which you'd do such a thing. Remember Job's three friends. That doesn't mean however that one shouldn't seek to lovingly share certain things one might need to consider but is the basis for doing so LOVE?

I was recently told that it's very disrespectful and hateful to tell another person that their beliefs are wrong.

Doesn't always matter what men judge as hateful. The disciples in Jesus day preached the gospel in a culture where they were basically told to shut up. Remember even standing by the exclusive claims about Jesus as being the ONLY way to the Father.....well you know how many in our culture view that. Do we change the message to accommodate their sensibilities? NOPE! We're called YES to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves but no we don't sway from our message.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If your not doing it in a way that saves them, or draws them to the True God, or Christ, but may actually be doing the opposite, then it may be best to leave well enough alone maybe...?

This is a tricky subject, cause if were not doing it in a way that saves them, but actually does the opposite, then we don't want to be responsible for that on judgement day, etc...

I would advise not saying anything at all, to anyone at all, about anything at all, without first having deep fellowship and counsel and words from God about it first always, etc, cause if it's just you doing or telling what just you think, without first getting deep counsel from God first and formost about it first, then you might just be being an offensive overly critical and condemning and judgmental jerk so to speak, who is full of themselves and puffed up with pride, and is more than likely a big hypocite, etc, etc, etc, and who has not consulted God first, etc, anyway, who is just always just always giving just only their own opinion and what they think, and who is turning a lot of people away from God and against Christians, and making God and Christians look bad, etc, and if that is just only because of you only, then I wouldn't want to have to give an account for that on judgement day, do or would you...?

Always talk to God first and talk to him a lot and in great detail about a thing first, before ever even thinking to be going to say something about it, or be trying to be doing anything about it, etc...

Would be my advice first, etc...

And the Bible is great and the Bible is awesome, but were to "interpret scripture" not just recite it, or beat people over the head with what it says, etc, so, we need to have actually talked to God about it first, and heard words from God on it first, before doing or saying anything, etc, and by that I mean have spent some time alone and/or in private and having actually "communed with Him" or had a full exhaustive extensive actual in depth conversation with Him about it first, before saying or doing anything first, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you would have them to do the same for you, it is the right thing to do.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 18 tells us how to deal with someone who is engaging in sin. You have gone to them privately and they have refused to repent. The next step is to take 2-3 people with you. If your brother won't repent at that point then you take it to the church.

As a practical matter, if you don't go to the same church you may not get very far with the last step. That said, I would submit that it's worth following the steps God has told us to go through.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There are 3 part to it:
1. Make sure you are right, i.e. what you said can be backed up by scripture.
2. You have to warn them. Not only to save them, but to save you as well: Ezekiel 3:18 When I say to a wicked person, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.
3. If the warning didn't work, you can choose to leave them: Mark 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Of course if you really love that person (i.e. he/she is your son/daughter/mom/dad) and want to save them, try do it persistently and in loving and soft voice. Remember it is not up to you to open their eyes and hearts, only God can.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Have you ever been wrong about the bible, or your understanding or interpretation?

What if someone pointing to scripture, then sad your beliefs were wrong (such as women not allowed to speak in church - not just as pastors, but speak at all), at what point will he change your mind?

Someone from CF once pleaded with me to pray about the issue of homosexuality, and have God show me if I was i error. I said I would but asked if she would also. She flat out refused. I asked what she had to lose. She said she already knew she was right, so she didn't have to. I always thought that was odd.

A few years ago that would be a true statement. Now, with things in flux you might be a hater and liable to civil and criminal penalties. Things are changing.
Can you give an example when this has ever happened? I assume you don't bear false witness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If the NT declares something is sin and someone is living in it or committing it, of course you should tell them. We are to approach them in love with the goal of reconciliation, but we should let them know. If they refuse to listen to you and they are a fellow local church member, then if the sin is serious enough start the steps of Matthew 18.

Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟129,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
2 Timothy 4:2
preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

People don't like to be corrected.But did Jesus and the Apostles correct wrong doctrine and actions?
I would say if you have lovingly tried to correct someone with scripture to back it up,and they harden their heart to the truth, shake the dust off your feet.

Upvote 0

GuyNad

Jan 22, 2016
Edmundston
✟23,540.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

It makes me think of Romans 14 that whole subject

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Peterlag

Jul 6, 2020
Rochester
✟9,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The problem becomes real if you are the one who is wrong. What if the Christian can't sin and you have been taught the Christian can. Then who's right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think how we say something matters. Being gentle and kind. Also, show them where the scriptures says that thing/behaviour/belief etc is a sin

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I woudl say that I think there are 4 types of "sin."

1/ Sins that Bible says are sins. no grey area- Bible says so. eg adultery, stealing etcYou would not be wrong to point out this kind fo thing

2/ something someone is doing that may not be a sin in itself but it might be something that is causing them to commit an actual sin (eg going to pub for a pint of beer not a sin but if someone is alcoholic they may be unable to stop at a pint and end up getting drunk or losing all their money from it. So for them that would be a sin) Like the first kidn fo sin, you might be justified in pointing it out.

3/ sins that other christians believer are sins when Bible doesn't say so (eg telling someone they are in sin for listening to a non-christian song, even if that song doesn't glorify evil or go against God or telling somoen they shopuldn't take medication because it is sinful or witchcraft or that a woman should never cut or trim her hair or whatever). These are man made"sins" In this case, don't point it out at all- these are "sins" added to the Bible. sometimes they are things that in Bible times woudl have been frowned upon (eg women with short hair or men with long hair, not tithing etc( but not a sin any longer. eg not tithing was a sin for Israel, but is not in force today for the church.

4/ sins that may violate your conscience or someone else's conscience but does not violate the conscience of the person doing the "sin." (eg- I knew a Christian who believed celebrating christmas and easter and birthdays were sinful. THta was her personal c0onviction and i would nto judge her on it. But I do nto have a conscience about celebrating these things- soem believers do, others don't. I know another believer who won't touch any meat offered to an idol so she won#'t go to a Halal restaruant. That is fine for her. For me, it does not affect my faith, as I never have worshipped Allah, so for me it is just food, sanctified by prayer and thanksgiving) i woudl treat this like the 3rd kind of sin. These things may be "sin" to some believers but if the person "sinning" does not feel they are sinning, then it is not an issue. I would ask them if they feel ok with what they doing_ do they feel convicted?

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I once said to someone that the point of Christianity is to love one another. She said that it isn't loving if someone is alcoholic and you don't say something. The fact that she immediately went to pointing out others' sin vs loving acts of kindness, such as helping those in need, being humble before others, offering forgiveness, is another thread.

However, I like to have a glass of wine. I don't get drunk, which the bible speaks about, but there are people who believe all drinking is a sin. If someone told me I have a drinking problem because I have wine with my meal, I would disagree. If they told me it was a sin, I would disagree. Insisting I'm wrong doesn't change it.

Getting drunk leads to making poor judgement, saying things you shouldn't and leaves you with a hangover, so I don't do it.

A glass of wine doesn't do that.

But I would feel differently if I was a recovered alcoholic.

Again, it helps to specify the sin in question.

A poster claimed only Catholics follow the Bible. Protestants may accuse Catholics of idol worship because of the statues in Catholic churches, wrong about not being able to pray directly to God but needing a saint to pray to on your behalf, etc. One can argue they have the right to tell them the other they are wrong. It just seems a waste of time to me.

If a sin is harming the person or another, pointing it out should be private and it should be done in love. That is why I have no idea what people mean when they say, "Being forgiven as a Christian doesn't mean you can sin all you want." If my friend forgives me for lying to save face, will I think, "woohoo! I'm going to lie all the time then!" No one does and keeps their friend.

And what sin would someone who is Christian be so eager to commit? Lying? For argument's sake, even if you got a pass, no one will trust you anymore. Murder? Even with a pass, you will serve jail time. Stealing? same. Committing adultery? Kiss your marriage goodbye.

What is the pressing sin a Christian will want to run out and do, and what would be the purpose of being Christian? Do behave worse than someone who isn't?

Well, the last one may be true. Some of the most vile, rude, hateful and vulgar people I have had to interact with profess to be Christian, and justify it with Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
The problem becomes real if you are the one who is wrong. What if the Christian can't sin and you have been taught the Christian can. Then who's right?

The question is faulty. Can a Christian sin? Yes, it is possible. Is it okay for Christians to sin? No, as we are to love our neighbor as ourswlves. Do Christians sin? Yes, and if we confess our sin, we are forgiven as we forgive others. And we need to ask forgiveness of those we have wronged, and listen to what our action (a lie, for example) hurt them, and try not to do it again.

I have spoken to Christians who claim they are no longer held to the law, because they are forgiven,thus "without sin" but nonbelievers are condemned by the law. He was arrogant about his holiness, and condemning of everyone else. The Lord's Prayer says to give us THIS DAY our daily bread, AND forgive our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Pretty clear to me.

That arrogance, thinking being granted forgiveness by mercy somehow makes you holier than thou, is a sin, and a blasphemy against Christ and The Father.

Logically, he is saying "I am Christian and not held to the rules of the Bible I believe in, so I ignore the law, but condemn nonbelievers for laws of the Bible in which they don't follow, nor do I, but my sins don't count."

uhhhhhhhh, 'kay. Good luck on judgement....

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

FaithCoder

Jul 13, 2020
New Mexico
✟7,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm ... in school I'm sure that I ran across several teachers that didn't share this viewpoint. I'm glad that they told me that I was wrong and corrected me in the matter. Otherwise it would be very difficult to balance my checkbook as I might hold to the erroneous thought that 1+1 equals something other than 2. Many kudos to my math teacher for having the chutzpah to let us know when we were wrong.

Isn't eternity of greater consequence than mathematics? If my salvation is on the line, somebody please tell me in a loving way!

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0