Do I have the right to tell someone that their beliefs are wrong??

Animelover93

Jun 15, 2020
Columbus Ohio
✟21,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong?? Or should I just drop the subject and not defend the bible?? I was recently told that it's very disrespectful and hateful to tell another person that their beliefs are wrong. I was always taught to correct your brother, and that if the bible offends them, it's their problem. I was told I shouldn't worry if it upsets them because it's the truth. As long as I'm not quoting the bible to cause other's pain, I shouldn't worry if the bible offends someone. But I was just recently told that it's very wrong to tell another person they're wrong. What do you all think?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong??
It would seem that, at that point, you have already done so.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong?? Or should I just drop the subject and not defend the bible?? I was recently told that it's very disrespectful and hateful to tell another person that their beliefs are wrong. I was always taught to correct your brother, and that if the bible offends them, it's their problem. I was told I shouldn't worry if it upsets them because it's the truth. As long as I'm not quoting the bible to cause other's pain, I shouldn't worry if the bible offends someone. But I was just recently told that it's very wrong to tell another person they're wrong. What do you all think?
We used to have free speech in America. So you had that right. Now it is a hate crime to hurt someone's feelings by saying anything contrary. So you no longer have that right. Things change. Rights seemingly change with the wind. Truth, on the other hand, does not change.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It's always possible your own interpretation of scripture is wrong, so rather than telling them that they are wrong (because they may have a different interpretation), then you could try conversing with something like, "This is what I believe and here is why." When you just come out and tell people that they are wrong, you are setting up a confrontation rather than a discussion and they're likely not going to hear what you have to say since their defenses are already up. They may be wrong, but there is also the possibility that you are wrong, or perhaps you are both wrong, or even truth in both views depending on context.

While your view is that they are offended by "the bible," it's more likely that they are offended in some way by your behavior, especially if they also hold scripture in high regard but see things in a different way.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We all know there are different interpretations of scripture. Are you right? Are you wrong? Is the other person right or wrong? Each of us hold certain beliefs .... when they differ ..... each put forth (according to their understanding of scripture) what they believe (nothing wrong with this) the Lord wants us to reason with one another using scripture .. at some point ... however ... best to simply Agree to Disagree and move on ... rather than continuously "argue/debate" of who might be right and who might be wrong.

We are called to peace.

Romans 12

18If it is possible on your part, live at peace with everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What exactly is it that you think the other person is doing that qualifies as a sin? I can't answer your question by assuming that what you think is a sin by definition is a sin. It might turn out that you're reading the bible incorrectly and then applying that perception to other Christians.

Or, it could turn out that you're exactly right, but for the rest of us to offer our best brotherly and sisterly advice, we need to know what the exact sin is.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you tell another that their beliefs are wrong.......You would be lying.

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he"

It was the job of the serpent, in the beginning to convince others to see good and evil in the world.....in hopes to be more like God.

The fact is....something can be a sin to you and not to another.

"...Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Reactions: GuyNad
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a US citizen you have the God given right to tell someone their beliefs are wrong.
As a Christian, you have the responsibility of removing the beam from your own eye before attempting to remove the mote from your neighbor's. You can share what you believe but if others don't accept your beliefs, then Jesus advice was not to tell them how wrong they were but to shake the dust off your feet and move on.

Matt 10:14
New International Version
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a Christian believes something isn't a sin and I try to tell them otherwise by quoting scripture, and they don't listen, is it my place to tell them that their wrong?
For example take "divorce" or "abortion". Christianity has become so diluted that when you say a Christian believes something isn't a sin it depends on whether they are a mature born again Christian or just an immature so-called Christian in name only.
... but for the rest of us to offer our best brotherly and sisterly advice, we need to know what the exact sin is.
If the person is a Christian that believes they were born again when sprinkled with holy water as an infant (as with at least two major denominations) and that they are saved by their Church affiliation then begin by asking them if they think they are good enough to get into Heaven on their own merit and go from there with a loving heart of kindness and compassion. Treat them as you (mature born again Believer) would want to be treated if you were in their shoes.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example take "divorce" or "abortion". Christianity has become so diluted that when you say a Christian believes something isn't a sin it depends on whether they are a mature born again Christian or just an immature so-called Christian in name only.
If the person is a Christian that believes they were born again when sprinkled with holy water as an infant (as with at least two major denominations) and that they are saved by their Church affiliation then begin by asking them if they think they are good enough to get into Heaven on their own merit and go from there with a loving heart of kindness and compassion. Treat them as you (mature born again Believer) would want to be treated if you were in their shoes.

Sure. I'd say that a person who claims the title of Christian by mere ritualistic convention needs to be directed to "look further" at the totality of the content of the New Testament writings. But then again, it's difficult to say that I should "treat others as I'd like to be treated" when honestly...........if I surmise that some other person who claims to be Christians barely understands their own Bible dares to get into my face an admonish me, I really don't want to be treated by their prescribed treatment of correction.

So, it still remains a problem, and I can understand what the OP is getting at. ;)

Reactions: GuyNad
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As a US citizen you have the God given right to tell someone their beliefs are wrong.
A few years ago that would be a true statement. Now, with things in flux you might be a hater and liable to civil and criminal penalties. Things are changing.

• Agree
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would apply the golden rule. If another Christian told you that something is a sin which you don’t believe is a sin, how would you like them to proceed and what would be the most effective in convincing you that they are right and you are wrong?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I was just recently told that it's very wrong to tell another person they're wrong. What do you all think?

I think you should ask them to justify such a belief. Where do they get such an idea from.

I suspect it is a misquoting of the instruction to only make right judgements and to be prepared to be judged by the same standards you used. ( My paraphrase )

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How you do it matters.

Pretend for a moment that someone who was wrong about what the Bible said believed they were right, you were wrong, and it was their job to tell you about it. What would you dislike about them telling you about it? They probably dislike the same things when you tell them about it. Remove those things from your own approach, unless there is a very good reason to keep them.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few years ago that would be a true statement. Now, with things in flux you might be a hater and liable to civil and criminal penalties. Things are changing.

People have had their God given rights denied to them for as long as there have been people. That doesn't mean one o does not have their right. It means someone has unjustly deprived them of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged

I guess it just depends what it is.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟686,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think better wording might be employed than just a statement of "your wrong!"

The Bible gives us the proper manner in which to address open sin. First, we should pray for the individual in question (1 John 5:16), make sure we are in the right position to discuss it in the first place (Matthew 7:3), make certain they are a member of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 5:12), discuss the sin with gentleness (Galatians 6:1-2) when/if you correct them, or take the person in sin to the church elders for Pastoral counseling and guidance.(Matthew 18:16) if your not equipped to take on the issue.

If it's a difference of opinion concerning scriptural teachings, try offering some print outs of sermons on the topic and share, again with gentleness and love, what scripture says on the topic.

If you can't move them, then there's nothing more to be done than to decide whether this is an influence you need in your own life, which is another topic that scripture has some words on as well.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some sins are rather obvious...
Lying, stealing, adultery and etc.

Others aren't so much clear anymore.
Gambling, while foolish, isn't exactly what I would classify as a sin.
Adult beverage consumption is not exactly a great idea either... although some classify it as a sin. And indeed if you are an alcoholic it most definitely is a sin.

Having the moral high ground is not a position that you really want to hold.
However, a friend looking out for another friend is exactly the ground you want.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Some sins are rather obvious...

Having the moral high ground is not a position that you really want to hold.
However, a friend looking out for another friend is exactly the ground you want.

Agreed. :D *Lets out a few coughs and elbows you in ribs* ;)

Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0