Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the topic of Sex Ed - which was a general principle of the local pastor being responsible for the entire well-being of the congregation - including sex ed.

I wanted to come back to this, because it's been bothering me. I don't think I can endorse the general principle of being responsible for the entire well-being of the people in the congregation. That's why we have doctors, mental health professionals, social workers, and so on; I have a role which intersects with those roles but is not interchangeable with them, nor can it replace them.

I'd argue that the local pastor has a responsibility for the mission of the church, and within that, for things like teaching and nurturing believers. But not "entire well-being."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wanted to come back to this, because it's been bothering me. I don't think I can endorse the general principle of being responsible for the entire well-being of the people in the congregation.
I believe that is due to our seeing the roles of the pastorate quite differently.

I believe the NT scriptures give the elders (the pastor being among them) broad authority over the lives of the congregants; something rather abhorrent to many in western civilization. I also believe that all elders (pastors included) will give an account to God (probably on judgement day) for every sin of their congregants.

Heb 13.17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.​

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was watching TV and learnt of a school that had law sessions that pertained to teens. It intersected well with sex education thats usually missing. Matters such as sexting and inappropriate contentography were brought up, along with recognizing grooming behaviors. the solicitor would talk about our rights as a teen in healthcare, contraception, and yes homosexuality. Just on the last topic.... speaking about homosexuality, understanding its impact on those that identify as LBGTI, isnt promoting it - its being informed. It moved to the psychological such as suicide and mental health, and how to seek out assistance for a range of issues including what to do if you have been sexually assaulted.

You know all this stuff happens prolifically in my age group. It frustrates me so much that theres a censor on it in any domain.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Heb 13.17

I know you make much of this, but the bit about "watching over your souls" suggests to me that this is concerned with one's moral and spiritual life; it doesn't suggest that the pastor is also responsible for making sure you eat enough fruit and everything else that goes into "entire well-being."

Seems to focus on a ministry of public reading of Scripture, teaching and exhorting. Again, not authority in matters not related to the Christian life or the mission of the Church.

Titus 2.15

Again, I don't see the broad scope in Titus 2 that you do.

Why do you interpret it in this way? Is it something you were taught growing up?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know you make much of this, but the bit about "watching over your souls" suggests to me that this is concerned with one's moral and spiritual life; it doesn't suggest that the pastor is also responsible for making sure you eat enough fruit and everything else that goes into "entire well-being."
The greek behind both "elder" and "pastor" are indicative of a shepherd. That means an elder or pastor is to function in the congregation the same way a shepherd cares for his flock of sheep. Of course the pastor or elder cannot be the "Great Shepherd" which is the Lord Himself, but function in His stead at a local level.

A physical shepherd (ancient mid east model, NOT the European model) leads sheep, inspects each animal on a frequent basis for injury, disease, overall health, etc. Should not congregational shepherds follow a similar mode?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A physical shepherd (ancient mid east model, NOT the European model) leads sheep, inspects each animal on a frequent basis for injury, disease, overall health, etc. Should not congregational shepherds follow a similar mode?

In terms of the spiritual life, sure. In terms of everything else? I think that's over-reaching.

I notice you didn't answer my last question, either.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My reasons for believing as I do are rather off-topic, don't you think?

Not at all. If you share them, we might be able to understand one another better.

As it is, my reaction is very negative because I think it is very easy for clergy to abuse our power, so giving us power we don't need to have doesn't look like a good idea. But I want to understand why other people have different ideas, and maybe I will learn something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As it is, my reaction is very negative because I think it is very easy for clergy to abuse our power, so giving us power we don't need to have doesn't look like a good idea.
I get that. I have seen (even recently) some egregious abuse of clerical power. I have lived under it and saw a few close friends hurt beyond belief.

In the most recent case, I took a very strong stand against it, calling down the entire board of elders as "incompetent." I did give each of them a copy of Charles Simpson's excellent book on pastoral duty, "The Challenge to Care."
images

But in spite of the incompetence and abuse; (intentional or not,) I can still see the truth of what scripture teaches. And I choose to stand in scriptural truth, even if very few understand how to make it work.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Can't *parents* be responsible for teaching their children about sex education and the benefits of fruits and vegetables, and if *they* need counseling about it, they can talk to a pastor or priest or some other designated person in the church, or visit a nutritionist or someone who is actually an expert on the subject(s)?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can't *parents* be responsible for teaching their children about sex education
Absolutely they ARE responsible.
if *they* need counseling about it, they can talk to a pastor or priest or some other designated person in the church,
The problem is that many parents are as clueless as the kids they are supposed to be teaching; and one of the problems with ignorance is they are UNAWARE that they do not know what they need to teach. So why would they be seeking out expert help if they do not know they need it?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can't *parents* be responsible for teaching their children about sex education and the benefits of fruits and vegetables, and if *they* need counseling about it, they can talk to a pastor or priest or some other designated person in the church, or visit a nutritionist or someone who is actually an expert on the subject(s)?
I dont think the title of "parent"necessarily equips you with the knowledge and expertise teens seek. Who told you about the laws behind sexting or its perils. Who told you about STDs, what to do if you found yourself pregnant, or the issues surrounding inappropriate contentography. Parents of course should discuss and give their moral views but teens need more.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Parents may be clueless, but I still feel they are primarily responsible for making sure their children can get the knowledge and expertise from somewhere. I'm just not convinced that an similarly clueless pastor qualifies as that expertise and should be bearing the ultimate responsibility for providing teenage sex education. I can already see so many ways where pastors being the sexual mentors for teens could go horribly wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can already see so many ways where pastors being the sexual mentors for teens could go horribly wrong.
I am not saying to leave out the parents. They absolutely need to be on board and involved in this all they way thru. IMO the "horribly wrong" can only happen if the parents are NOT involved.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I am not saying to leave out the parents. They absolutely need to be on board and involved in this all they way thru. IMO the "horribly wrong" can only happen if the parents are NOT involved.

What is it that they would expect the pastor to be able to teach that they could not teach themselves to their own children? What if the pastor is a Catholic priest and has been celibate all his life? Why not just have the whole family visit a medical expert who can accurately describe how everything works, and then if they need spiritual counseling on top of that, then make a visit to the pastor?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is it that they would expect the pastor to be able to teach that they could not teach themselves to their own children?
There are more sources that are available, either to churches or public schools, simply by reason of the size of the "audience."

If you have a youth group with 30 kids from different families, why should the parents buy 30 copies of a print/audio/video series when one could cover the whole group? And questions are sometimes more easily answered by someone NOT RELATED to the asker.
What if the pastor is a Catholic priest and has been celibate all his life?
There are married lay leaders in most every parish that could handle it.
Why not just have the whole family visit a medical expert who can accurately describe how everything works,
Again, 30 different doctor appointments that are redundant. And there ise a lot more to the source material and questions than telling them "how everything works." The physical functionality is just a small portion of the whole story.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
There are more sources that are available, either to churches or public schools, simply by reason of the size of the "audience."

If you have a youth group with 30 kids from different families, why should the parents buy 30 copies of a print/audio/video series when one could cover the whole group? And questions are sometimes more easily answered by someone NOT RELATED to the asker.

There are married lay leaders in most every parish that could handle it.

Again, 30 different doctor appointments that are redundant. And there ise a lot more to the source material and questions than telling them "how everything works." The physical functionality is just a small portion of the whole story.

Ohh you've been talking about a youth group type seminar thing rather than one-on-one counseling. I remember something like that back when I was a teen in the Southern Baptist church, though it delved more into teen relationships and dating. It wasn't the pastor who did the seminar though. It was an "expert" who went around to different churches and youth groups and who did this sort of thing "full time", which may actually be a better way to go about it than expecting the pastor of each church to personally run it simply because they're the pastor.

What I was envisioning is that when a child got to be "of age" to know certain things, then they would need to make an appointment with the pastor to get sex counseling, and that is just *not* really a good idea!

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0