Did Jesus set the law aside at the Bethesda pool?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus was definitely pushing buttons by doing work on the Sabbath (John 5:17). He was understanding God's will along humanistic lines, whereas the pharisees were more like legalists in their interpretation of their religion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, this is a misreading caused by cherry picking verses out of context.

Jeremiah is about carrying goods in and out of the city for buying and selling.
Better put on your reading glasses. Let's try that again.

Jeremiah 17:21-22
This is what the Lord says: Be careful not to carry a load on the Sabbath day or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem.
22 Do not bring a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath, but keep the Sabbath day holy, as I commanded your ancestors.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was definitely pushing buttons by doing work on the Sabbath (John 5:17). He understanding God's will along humanistic lines, whereas the pharisees were more like legalists in their interpretation of their religion.
Indeed. The context is interesting on that one as well. (see below)
Jesus knew it was work. The Apostle John knew it was Sabbath-breaking.

John 5:17-18
In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”
18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think he's setting aside the law so much as fulfilling the law. Jesus does point out the greatest commandment is to love God and love your neighbor. He doesn't seem to place the two on a hierarchy in terms of importance. In that context, refusing to heal a blind man on the Sabbath because it is the Sabbath wouldn't be particularly loving. It would be like refusing to rush to save an injured person because there's a "don't walk on the grass" sign.

And to add to that, he's not claiming to have some particular religious opinion that necessarily needs justification, he's claiming to be the "Son of Man", a divine figure from Daniel.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Don't let anyone catch you carrying that bundle of sticks on the Sabbath. Things might not go well for you. lol

Numbers 15:32-35
While the Israelites were in the wilderness, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day.
33 Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly,
34 and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him.
35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp.”
Is making your bed on the Sabbath considered work too?
If a Jew goes to the beach on a Saturday, ought he leave a blanket for sunbathing out on Friday afternoon?
Would he have to stay with it until Sunday at dawn, if he didn't want someone to steal away with it during the night?
Orthodox Jews really enjoy following laws. This all may be a problem for them, for sure. It is all a matter of interpretation, I guess.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think he's setting aside the law so much as fulfilling the law. Jesus does point out the greatest commandment is to love God and love your neighbor. He doesn't seem to place the two on a hierarchy in terms of importance. In that context, refusing to heal a blind man on the Sabbath because it is the Sabbath wouldn't be particularly loving. It would be like refusing to rush to save an injured person because there's a "don't walk on the grass" sign.

And to add to that, he's not claiming to have some particular religious opinion that necessarily needs justification, he's claiming to be the "Son of Man", a divine figure from Daniel.
Even fulfilling the law sets it aside. When it's done, it's done. Although, in this case, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is making your bed on the Sabbath considered work too?
If a Jew goes to the beach on a Saturday, ought he leave a blanket for sunbathing out on Friday afternoon?
Would he have to stay with it until Sunday at dawn, if he didn't want someone to steal away with it during the night?
Orthodox Jews really enjoy following laws. This all may be a problem for them, for sure. It is all a matter of interpretation, I guess.
I have heard that Orthodox Jews today will hire a gentile to turn the lights on or off in their home on the Sabbath (which is considered a creative act). Because they are not supposed to. No work of any kind is allowed on the Sabbath.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This is what the Lord says: Be careful not to carry a load on the Sabbath day or bring it through the gates of Jerusalem.
22 Do not bring a load out of your houses or do any work on the Sabbath, but keep the Sabbath day holy, as I commanded your ancestors.

Clear division
Luke 16:16-18 King James Version (KJV)
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clear division
Luke 16:16-18 King James Version (KJV)
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
I agree. This is one of the verses that shows the law being set aside. One of many. It didn't happen in a single moment in time. This is an early indicator of what was taking place. "The law and the prophets were until John..." Then what?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Why mention the gates in 22? Traders. Buying and selling.

"By the Time of the Old Testament Prophets, Sabbath-Breaking Had to Do With Burden-Bearing.

Every sabbath, long lines of animals - mules, donkeys, camels - paraded in and out of Jerusalem, carrying merchandise for the purpose of commerce. This practice was so common that the sabbath soon became identified with burden-bearing.

God's prophets were heartbroken at the sight: Hordes of buyers and sellers, herding their heavily burdened beasts, came and went in total disregard of God's commandment. City dwellers left their homes to go shopping, then came home carrying big burdens on their backs. And rural people entered the city gates carrying all their crafts and goods to market. All of God's children were carrying heavy burdens on the Lord's sabbath!

As Jeremiah watched this scene one sabbath, the Spirit of God moved on him powerfully. And, suddenly, the prophet stopped all traffic with a loud cry:

"Thus saith the Lord; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers" (Jeremiah 17:21-22).

I imagine a huge traffic jam, with long lines of mules and donkeys braying, as Jeremiah prophesied: "This is the sabbath - and according to God's word, you aren't allowed to carry a burden. You can't take anything to or from your home without breaking the law. It's a hallowed day - and you're sinning!"

https://worldchallenge.org/newsletter/honoring-sabbath

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I have heard that Orthodox Jews today will hire a gentile to turn the lights on or off in their home on the Sabbath (which is considered a creative act). Because they are not supposed to. No work of any kind is allowed on the Sabbath.

If they do, they are still breaking the Sabbath by causing another to break it.

Exodus 20:10
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Deuteronomy 5:14
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why mention the gates in 22? Traders. Buying and selling.

"By the Time of the Old Testament Prophets, Sabbath-Breaking Had to Do With Burden-Bearing.

Every sabbath, long lines of animals - mules, donkeys, camels - paraded in and out of Jerusalem, carrying merchandise for the purpose of commerce. This practice was so common that the sabbath soon became identified with burden-bearing.

God's prophets were heartbroken at the sight: Hordes of buyers and sellers, herding their heavily burdened beasts, came and went in total disregard of God's commandment. City dwellers left their homes to go shopping, then came home carrying big burdens on their backs. And rural people entered the city gates carrying all their crafts and goods to market. All of God's children were carrying heavy burdens on the Lord's sabbath!

As Jeremiah watched this scene one sabbath, the Spirit of God moved on him powerfully. And, suddenly, the prophet stopped all traffic with a loud cry:

"Thus saith the Lord; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers" (Jeremiah 17:21-22).

I imagine a huge traffic jam, with long lines of mules and donkeys braying, as Jeremiah prophesied: "This is the sabbath - and according to God's word, you aren't allowed to carry a burden. You can't take anything to or from your home without breaking the law. It's a hallowed day - and you're sinning!"

https://worldchallenge.org/newsletter/honoring-sabbath
Interesting. You start by disagree with me but then end by agreeing. You seem to be saying that "Sabbath-breaking" changed, but then come back to the original law.

So, from your perspective, what was Jesus doing by provoking the leaders?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they do, they are still breaking the Sabbath by causing another to break it.

Exodus 20:10
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Deuteronomy 5:14
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.
So, what was Jesus doing when he commanded the man to carry his mat? The guy was busted for Sabbath-breaking.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So, what was Jesus doing when he commanded the man to carry his mat? The guy was busted for Sabbath-breaking.

This wasn't about breaking the Sabbath, but breaking
the traditions raised around the laws. And, he carried
it for a testimony.

"Where are you going with that mat?"
"Why are you carrying a mat on Sabbath?"

"This is the mat I lived on for years until Jesus healed me today."

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This wasn't about breaking the Sabbath, but breaking
the traditions raised around the laws. And, he carried
it for a testimony.

"Where are you going with that mat?"
"Why are you carrying a mat on Sabbath?"

"This is the mat I lived on for years until Jesus healed me today."
That's not what he said. Scripture below. (vs 11)
The gospel writer notes that: "The day on which this took place was a Sabbath..."
It had EVERYTHING to do with breaking the Sabbath. When confronted, the man who was healed blames Jesus. There is no question in the entire passage about it not being Sabbath-breaking.

John 5:8-11
Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.”
9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.
The day on which this took place was a Sabbath,
10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed,
“It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”
11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In this gospel account (text below) of the healing at the Bethesda pool, Jesus commands the man to, "Pick up your mat and walk." In obeying Christ, the man broke Sabbath law. No load is to be carried on the Sabbath. Jesus could have asked the man to rise up and walk. Why did he include the mat carrying?

Notice that the gospel writer adds the note that the day on which this took place was a Sabbath. Why is this significant? There is no dispute in the passage that this was not a violation of Sabbath law.

Was the law set aside when Jesus commanded this act of Sabbath-breaking?

John 5:8-11
Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.”
9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.
The day on which this took place was a Sabbath,
10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed,
“It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”
11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know the pharisees saw it that was as they were very legalistic. but in truth the passage does not say you can't carry anything. it says you can't carry a burden. in every form of the english word a burden is a heavy load. in truth no law was broken here, just man's traditional interpretation which is common even now. the pharisees went from heavy load to carry anything. they like Christ said were using the law specifically a day God gave to the people to commune with him and turned it into a burden

The work that was done was the healing. look at what the pharisees jumped on,(who was it they tried to stop?) was it the work of Christ or the work of the man rolling up his possession and carrying it off with him? (hint the used 'mat man' to find jesus)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know the pharisees saw it that was as they were very legalistic. but in truth the passage does not say you can't carry anything. it says you can't carry a burden. in every form of the english word a burden is a heavy load. in truth no law was broken here, just man's traditional interpretation which is common even now. the pharisees went from heavy load to carry anything. they like Christ said were using the law specifically a day God gave to the people to commune with him and turned it into a burden

The work that was done was the healing. look at what the pharisees jumped on,(who was it they tried to stop?) was it the work of Christ or the work of the man rolling up his possession and carrying it off with him? (hint the used 'mat man' to find jesus)
Honestly, If Jesus asked you to carry your mattress home from the pool, would that be work for you? Especially if you had not walked for 38 years.

Furthermore, no work of ANY kind is allowed on the Sabbath. You can't even prepare lunch. (Is that work?) That's what the Preparation Day is for.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, brother.
I appreciate your thoughtful and detailed responses on this.

So, what does this passage say to you from your perspective? What do you get out of this when you read it? What is God teaching you? Is it just a story about Jesus' life? What's the takeaway for you?

If what your saying is correct, I wonder why the passage doesn't address it that way. Jesus CREATED a HUGE issue for this man. Why did he do that? And why doesn't the passage address this as a manmade rule issue? It says nothing about this NOT being a violation of Sabbath law.

And I agree with you, it's NO BIG DEAL for the guy to carry his mat. That doesn't bother me in the least. But in the book of Numbers we read about a guy who was stoned to death for gathering firewood on the Sabbath. So... ??? Was that God's Sabbath law? (seems so)
In English it looks like gathering firewood.... but it is more like him splitting, stacking, and then carrying. In other words, it wasn't throwing a log on an existing fire, it was doing all the work that should have been done ahead of time so that he could have been resting on the Sabbath.

As for the healing.... what does it tell me? It shows that God is a healing God and that doing good, even on the Sabbath, is within His will. But the elite, who were threatened by the works and words of Yeshua, were looking for anything they could to slow the momentum down he was creating with every healing and other miracle he did. So, they throw the book at him... all the things THEY CREATED in addition to God's instructions they claim he broke, but made those claimed as if he was breaking God's instructions which in a sense, make THEM equal to God because it was only their rules that were broken. So... God's instructions are not a burden and healing any day isn't only permissible, it is expected.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In English it looks like gathering firewood.... but it is more like him splitting, stacking, and then carrying. In other words, it wasn't throwing a log on an existing fire, it was doing all the work that should have been done ahead of time so that he could have been resting on the Sabbath.

As for the healing.... what does it tell me? It shows that God is a healing God and that doing good, even on the Sabbath, is within His will. But the elite, who were threatened by the works and words of Yeshua, were looking for anything they could to slow the momentum down he was creating with every healing and other miracle he did. So, they throw the book at him... all the things THEY CREATED in addition to God's instructions they claim he broke, but made those claimed as if he was breaking God's instructions which in a sense, make THEM equal to God because it was only their rules that were broken. So... God's instructions are not a burden and healing any day isn't only permissible, it is expected.
Great, thanks.
I think the only thing we really disagree on is which book was thrown at him.
Oh, and the man was "collecting" fire wood as I understand it.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great, thanks.
I think the only thing we really disagree on is which book was thrown at him.
Oh, and the man was "collecting" fire wood as I understand it.
On the gathering of wood... before Christ was born, the Targum Jonathon was written. It is basically a paraphrase/commentary type writing and again, was done about 30 years before Christ. This is significant, as an aside, because of how they treat the word "word" (memra). It is often used in place of God's very name name. Seeing this supports the Christian doctrine of Yeshua being God in the flesh, you can understand why the Targumim (targums) are not often used in open Jewish circles. Anyway... so the Targum Jonathon has this for the passage you question:

"And while the sons of Israel were dwelling in the wilderness, the decree of the Sabbath was known to them, but the punishment (for the profanation) of the Sabbath was not known. And there arose a man of the house of Joseph, and said with himself: I will go and pull up wood on the Sabbath day; and witnesses saw it, and told Mosheh; and Mosheh sought instructtion from the presence of the Lord, that he might teach me judgment, and make known the discipline of all the house of Israel. And the witnesses of the man who pulled up and collected wood came, and, after they had monished him, and he had wounded the witnesses who had found him pulling up wood"

Notice it isn't just gathering, which itself is really not to be done on Sabbath, it should be done on the preparation day (Friday), but in this case, the Targum is making the point that he was actually pulling up the wood... i.e. from the ground. Meaning, this wasn't a simple gathering, he was either pulling it up by the roots or cutting it down and either is more than just carrying a handful and throwing it on an existing fire to keep your family warm. The Jerusalem Targum (there are a number of them) suggests he was actually stealing the wood. In any event... Moses went to the LORD and asked what to do and it was the LORD who handed out the punishment which means it was a righteous act, because God is incapable of anything else!!!

So when it comes to the guy with the firewood, this was God's decision and God's rule which means it was holy, righteous, and good whether we can understand that as we look at it today through our modern perspective, or not.

As for the healing and the mat... again, there are 7 Sabbath commandments in the Torah from God. Not one of them was broken by Yeshua for healing or for the man who picked up his mat and took it home (revealing the miracle God performed in the process). If there is a commandment that was broken, share it... the Jeremiah verse is not conclusive because a load can mean anything. And, ALL TRUTH comes with more than one witness so even if Jeremiah was valid, where is the second witness? There is none... I know all the Sabbath commandments, not one was broken then. Again, what WAS broken was the addition to God's commandments. God says, "don't take my name in vain" and the Pharisees decided, "let's not say it at all just to make sure." So, when somebody says His name it is a sin according to THEM... but God never said such a thing. That is what we are dealing here and in the other thread about picking and eating.

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0