tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a well-known old expression, meaning not to screw something up. It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to make this about race. When I was a kid, I heard this regularly.
Cool story bro, of course now isn't actually when you've grown up, I have two thoughts about that: 1)if someone wants to be involved in politics in 2018 maybe it's time to take a look at "well known expressions" and see if there isn't some better way to say what someone wants to say and 2) using the expression in a personal conversation with friends isn't the same thing as expressing an opinion on television. Friends are a lot more understanding then the news cycle. If it walks like a duck on tv, someone is going to point out how much that looks like a duck. Just that simple. :wave:
tulc(thinks he needs some coffee now) :coffee:

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The man should have just used the epithet he was thinking of rather than a euphemism. in trying not to say (four letter word) ing it up. He left himself open to the offence police who are constantly on the lookout for anything they might possibly take offence to. Like purposely misunderstanding the meaning of the word niggardly or having a seizure over the mention of a monkey in any proximity to an African American.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I've been around a long time and haven't heard that phrase before.

I've never heard it either... Tried looking it up but not to be found. "Muck up" is the expression not "Monkey it up" or similar...

• Agree
Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cool story bro, of course now isn't actually when you've grown up, I have two thoughts about that: 1)if someone wants to be involved in politics in 2018 maybe it's time to take a look at "well known expressions" and see if there isn't some better way to say what someone wants to say and 2) using the expression in a personal conversation with friends isn't the same thing as expressing an opinion on television. Friends are a lot more understanding then the news cycle. If it walks like a duck on tv, someone is going to point out how much that looks like a duck. Just that simple. :wave:
tulc(thinks he needs some coffee now) :coffee:
You are really stretching now. I know your bias is deeply ingrained, but come on.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard it either... Tried looking it up but not to be found. "Muck up" is the expression not "Monkey it up" or similar...
Really? Because as a verb that means "play around with or alter" or " do random unplanned things", in addition to it's meaning as a noun, a primate.

Don't monkey with that engine if you don't know what you are doing.

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited:
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dismissing isn't refuting. :wave:
tulc(can't wait for the inevitable "we conservatives are the real victims here!" card to be played) :D
I am refuting you. You are simply pulling nonsense out of the air. You have no proof he intended to call the opponent a monkey. The burden is on you when you make an allegation.

You are just making it up, in typical knee-jerk fashion.

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Definition of monkey with
informal
: to handle or play with (something) in a careless way : to monkey around with (something)
  • I told you not to monkey with the lawn mower.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monkey with

Let's use logic and reasoning instead of continuing racism.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Definition of monkey with
informal
: to handle or play with (something) in a careless way : to monkey around with (something)
  • I told you not to monkey with the lawn mower.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/monkey with

Let's use logic and reasoning instead of continuing racism.
But he didn't say "monkey with". He said "don't monkey this up", using monkey as a verb exactly as I quoted.

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
But he didn't say "monkey with". He said "don't monkey this up", using monkey as a verb exactly as I quoted.
So you're telling me that the phrase has a racist meaning because the second word was this and not with? Really? To monkey with something also implies an action. Why does everything have to be about race? According to tulc I must be a racist because I'm a conservative, but when I then say I was in an interracial marriage with interracial kids...does that still make me a racist?

To quote Morgan Freeman, in response to Mike Wallace's question about "how do we stop racism?", "Stop talking about it".

• Winner
Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really want to hear how conservatives are racist, just for being so, which is what the OP is implying. I was in an interracial marriage with interracial kids....please tell me how I'm a racist just because I'm conservative. To quote Katt Williams, "Don't worry, I'll wait".

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

One can choose to believe what one wants... "monkey" was not used as a verb in context. "The last thing we need to do is to monkey this up by trying … " to is a preposition, and what typically follows a preposition? The expression that would be used is "muck it up" not "monkey", "monkey with" may have been more palatable... still, never heard the expression "Monkey this up" ever used.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was an unfortunate selection of words.

DeSantis has a Yale degree and a law degree from Harvard. Florida does not like high taxes. On the other hand the Florida education system is of inferior quality to Massachusetts, New Jersey and Vermont who have higher taxes. All three of the states with higher taxes than Florida have better educated children than Florida and higher median incomes.

• Informative
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
It will be interesting to see how DeSantis proceeds after this got his base fired up.
If he's as smart as I think he is, he'll leave it at that. He psyched his opponent and scored points with his base. If he pushes it and says something suspect again I think some of his base even will start to say "hey wait a minute".

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am refuting you. You are simply pulling nonsense out of the air. You have no proof he intended to call the opponent a monkey. The burden is on you when you make an allegation.
Uhmmm...he said it. I posted a link to prove he said it. My proof is the OP. :sorry:
tulc(when RestoreTheJoy can show he didn't say it then he will have refuted the OP) :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It will be interesting to see how DeSantis proceeds after this got his base fired up.
If he's as smart as I think he is, he'll leave it at that. He psyched his opponent and scored points with his base. If he pushes it and says something suspect again I think some of his base even will start to say "hey wait a minute".
Agreed. :)
tulc(raises his cup of coffee in salute!) :coffee:

Upvote 0