Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The utter hypocrisy of this Dem candidate is astonishing. Shame on forum members trying to big it up into something it clearly never was.

The point is very clear that "monkey around" is a common expression..."monkey this up" is not. It may not have been intended with a racial slant but just a poor choice of words... monkey can be used as a verb or a noun, that is the distinction.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The utter hypocrisy of this Dem candidate is astonishing. Shame on forum members trying to big it up into something it clearly never was.

Anyway, here's a load of Dems making free use of the phrase without getting blasted for racism.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...of-democrats-saying-monkeying-around-n2514415
How does your site show any hypocrisy of the candidate? It shows the ignorance of the site. Context, context, context...

The phrase "monkeying around" is a common phrase implying nothing about race, UNLESS, the person used it aimed to imply another person's race were compatible to monkeys. That blacks are compatible to monkeys is a common term used by whites who are ignorant.

Monkey, though, can also be used to imply things not related to a racial subject, just as the Democrats were doing on your Town hall site or how Mr. DeSantis most likely meant it. DeSantis is the only person who knows how he meant to use the phrase and should clear the matter up.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word monkey is used idiomatically to mean "mess with." "Don't monkey around" means don't mess around. I have heard "stop monkeying with that" (stop messing with that) and other phrases that are very similar.

Since there is >>NO<< history of DiSantis being a racist or ever using racial terms in a derogatory manner... then this is a political stunt to help a very WEAK democratic candidate. And the Christians who are pushing this racist thing, are bearing false witness... which is a sin. We have to do better than this... God expects better. You Dems don't like DiSantis, fine... but you also can't make stuff up that defame and degrade another.

Even CNN says it has nothing to do with race and if there was even a hint of a chance it did... they would have run with it!

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/08/30/florida-rep-desantis-gillum-comment-ath-vpx.cnn

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does your site show any hypocrisy of the candidate? It shows the ignorance of the site. Context, context, context...

The phrase "monkeying around" is a common phrase implying nothing about race, UNLESS, the person used it aimed to imply another person's race were compatible to monkeys. That blacks are compatible to monkeys is a common term used by whites who are ignorant.

Monkey, though, can also be used to imply things not related to a racial subject, just as the Democrats were doing on your Town hall site or how Mr. DeSantis most likely meant it. DeSantis is the only person who knows how he meant to use the phrase and should clear the matter up.

(Shrugs) In today's atmosphere it wouldn't matter if DeSantis cleared it up or not. People are going to believe what they want too.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(Shrugs) In today's atmosphere it wouldn't matter if DeSantis cleared it up or not. People are going to believe what they want too.
(Shrugs,) It is people with this attitude that causes such problems. (Shrugs) There are people on the left and right who have this attitude because they just won't listen to people.
If DeSantis is a Christian it is his obligation to God to clear it up. If he wants to hold office, it is his obligation to his office to clear this up. Anyone who holds office is a servant of the people. ALL OF THE PEOPLE.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Uhmmm...he said it. I posted a link to prove he said it. My proof is the OP. :sorry:
tulc(when RestoreTheJoy can show he didn't say it then he will have refuted the OP) :wave:
He said it, sure...that is not at issue. To make your allegation, you have to prove he said it with racist intent.

You have not done this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One can choose to believe what one wants... "monkey" was not used as a verb in context. "The last thing we need to do is to monkey this up by trying … " to is a preposition, and what typically follows a preposition? The expression that would be used is "muck it up" not "monkey", "monkey with" may have been more palatable... still, never heard the expression "Monkey this up" ever used.

Monkey up is indeed a verb in that sentence. The particle "to" is an integral part of the infinitive of every verb in English.

You may have heard it growing up as "muck it up", something I think most of us have heard as well, but this monkey expression is not at all unknown, as several people have told you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you're telling me that the phrase has a racist meaning because the second word was this and not with? Really? To monkey with something also implies an action. Why does everything have to be about race? According to tulc I must be a racist because I'm a conservative, but when I then say I was in an interracial marriage with interracial kids...does that still make me a racist?

To quote Morgan Freeman, in response to Mike Wallace's question about "how do we stop racism?", "Stop talking about it".
No, I'm not saying it was racist. I'm merely correcting the verbiage used, that's all.

I do not think it was racist in any way. The race card is being played without any evidence whatsoever of racist intent merely because the opponent happens to be a different race.

Don't you know...you (and I - and all) are ALWAYS racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, able-ist, ethnocentric, etc, etc....when you disagree with a liberal. You don't merely have an opposing view - you must be labeled and dismissed! (Sarcasm).

• Agree
Reactions: NW82
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He said it, sure...that is not at issue. To make your allegation, you have to prove he said it with racist intent.

You have not done this.
No I don't, I'm only obligated to prove he said it. If you read the OP I don't think you'll find any where I said he was a racist. :wave:
tulc(did say he understands why President Trump liked this candidate) :)

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
No I don't, I'm only obligated to prove he said it. If you read the OP I don't think you'll find any where I said he was a racist. :wave:
tulc(did say he understands why President Trump liked this candidate) :)
You implied he was, isn't that your big thing, implying?

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny, not one of them said "monkey this up" and not one of them was talking about voters electing a black candidate.

The ultimate minimalist argument. But then such fare never requires any actual thought.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You implied he was, isn't that your big thing, implying?
I might point out I'm not the subject of this thread, if you'd like to discuss me you should probably start a thread about that and see where the discussion goes. :wave:
tulc(will watch for that thread) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I might point out I'm not the subject of this thread, if you'd like to discuss me you should probably start a thread about that and see where the discussion goes. :wave:
tulc(will watch for that thread) :)
Considering your are the OP and the OP's post is what is in context based on your intent of the post...no.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Considering your are the OP
I am.

and the OP's post is what is in context based on your intent of the post...no.
No, what a thread is about is the content of the opening post, not the intent of the Original Poster. If you'd like to discuss the content that's fine, but a post about the person who posted the first post is not under discussion here. :wave:
tulc(is glad to clear that up for NW82) :)

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am.

No, what a thread is about is the content of the opening post, not the intent of the Original Poster. If you'd like to discuss the content that's fine, but a post about the person who posted the first post is not under discussion here. :wave:
tulc(is glad to clear that up for NW82) :)

Clearly you do not understand how posting content works. You posted here, from another source, which means you are posting your thoughts citing a source; this means your intent as the OP is open for discussion. You avoiding what your intent was is simply that, avoidance. You don't write a scholarly article without citing sources, and you didn't put up a post without implication "tulc(see's why President Trump likes this one)", using a source, is what I'm referencing now...your comment. Next time keep your condescension to yourself.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clearly you do not understand how posting content works. You posted here, from another source, which means you are posting your thoughts citing a source; this means your intent as the OP is open for discussion. You avoiding what your intent was is simply that, avoidance. You don't write a scholarly article without citing sources, and you didn't put up a post without implication "tulc(see's why President Trump likes this one)", using a source, is what I'm referencing now...your comment.
Sorry, neither I nor my intent are what's under discussion in this thread, if that's what you want to discuss you'll just have to start another thread to discuss that. :wave:

Next time keep your condescension to yourself.
Okay...I'm not sure why my understanding why President Trump would like a guy who has blindly supported him 100% of the time would be considered condescending but, okay. :scratch:
tulc(is going to need some more coffee after this) :coffee:

Upvote 0