Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
A great example of why I just stopped responding to much of what you all have said on this topic.

When any of you start to show understanding of the flat earth paradigm, you may have some credibility while patting each other on the back and congratulating each other that you are not 'dumb' flat-earthers, but until then, you have nothing substantive to contribute.
See, that is exactly why people disagree with you here so much: your constant evasion.

We should "understand the flat earth paradigm".
Well, ok, I really want to understand it. Explain it to me.

But you don't. You wiggle and waggle and tell us to "research" it... at best you give as a general nudge towards some YouTube vide... no, not even videos, just whole channels.

And we go and "research". We watch your sources. We tell you exactly where these sources are wrong - where they do exactly what I just told you: NOT provide good explanations.

Again, you just ignore that. Go back to square one: "research it". A_thinker got it right... you are just looking for agreement, not understanding.

It's really funny. You keep comming here, telling us how wrong we all are and that we don't understand you. But everytime we ask you for explanations, you evade, claiming that we only "ridicule" you.

Understand it: if you are ridiculed here, it is not for the explanations you provide... it is for NOT providing explanations.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A great example of why I just stopped responding to much of what you all have said on this topic.

When any of you start to show understanding of the flat earth paradigm, you may have some credibility while patting each other on the back and congratulating each other that you are not 'dumb' flat-earthers, but until then, you have nothing substantive to contribute.

I don't think you're dumb; I think you're suffering from an extreme case of motivated reasoning.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you're dumb;

Thanks.

I think you're suffering from an extreme case of motivated reasoning.

Farthest thing from. I never intended to become a flat-earther, but I had to land where the reasoned evidence took me. Life would be a lot easier if I weren't, but for me to deny it at this point would make me a liar.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
See, that is exactly why people disagree with you here so much: your constant evasion.

We should "understand the flat earth paradigm".
Well, ok, I really want to understand it. Explain it to me.

But you don't. You wiggle and waggle and tell us to "research" it... at best you give as a general nudge towards some YouTube vide... no, not even videos, just whole channels.

And we go and "research". We watch your sources. We tell you exactly where these sources are wrong - where they do exactly what I just told you: NOT provide good explanations.

Again, you just ignore that. Go back to square one: "research it". A_thinker got it right... you are just looking for agreement, not understanding.

It's really funny. You keep comming here, telling us how wrong we all are and that we don't understand you. But everytime we ask you for explanations, you evade, claiming that we only "ridicule" you.

Understand it: if you are ridiculed here, it is not for the explanations you provide... it is for NOT providing explanations.

No, you people disagree with me because you refuse to actually look into as I keep suggesting. I used to provide info and it was rejected. Now I just say it's out there if anyone has the motivation and curiosity. I do see that you all don't deal well with not being hand-fed things you get to instantly reject, but that's your problem. I would say I'm sorry that it had to come to that, but I'm really not.

As for my periodic responses, I do so because at some point I'll find someone who will actually do the leg work and make an effort to try to discover just how deep the lies go.

If that all bothers you, again, get over it. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore if you must.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would advise you to actually prove out your assumption of 'whereas flat earth assertions simply do not'.

The flat earth model simply cannot explain:
  • the change in star visibility and perceived star rotation with latitude
  • distances on earth, especially in the Southern Hemisphere
  • aircraft flight paths, especially in the Southern Hemisphere
  • seasons in the Southern Hemisphere
  • 24-hour sunshine in Antarctica
  • the scientific base at the South Pole
  • sunsets
  • objects becoming less visible with distance, becoming hidden from view from the bottom up
  • satellites
  • GPS
  • astronomical observations
  • pictures from space
gain a working knowledge of the flat earth paradigm

We have investigated it in detail. Most of us have the skills to evaluate the ridiculous claims it makes. Half of us think it's amusingly silly, and the other half think it's tragically silly.

Life would be a lot easier if I weren't

Well, that's true. If you navigate with a "flat earth" map, you must constantly be getting lost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
No, you people disagree with me because you refuse to actually look into as I keep suggesting.
I'd like to remind you that I posted a multi-post response to a video that you "suggested we look into" in one of the other threads. You never responded to any of it.
I posted several other comments about different problems that I have directly seen with Flat Earther's positions, claims and general attitudes.

Radagast here has just posted a list of observations that Flat Earther's have problems dealing with... so he seems to have "looked into it".

There have been several other posters mentioned specific points of contention with various flat earth claims.

So it is obviously and demonstrably wrong that we "refuse" to look into these claims.
But also very obviously and demonstrably it is correct that YOU refuse to tackle any of these posts.

Ignore you? Hah, you would love that, wouldn't you? Not having to deal anymore with someone who shows the world what you really are.

Not happening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟732,703.00
Faith
Humanist
The problems with distances etc. in the southern hemisphere can be fixed by postulating this flat earth:

600px-Azimuthal_Equidistant_S90.jpg

That of course makes the northern hemisphere untenable.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for my periodic responses, I do so because at some point I'll find someone who will actually do the leg work and make an effort to try to discover just how deep the lies go.

And the proof for that, of course, ... is that they'll then be in agreement with you ?

And what about everybody else ... who have arrived at conclusions which differ from yours ? Do you believe that none of those who disagree with your conclusions ... have done any research so as to arrive at what they believe is truth in the issue ?

If that all bothers you, again, get over it. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore if you must.

I've thought over this long and hard.

The problem, as I see it, is that participants in these DISCUSSIONS between promoters of Flat Earth vs Globe Earth ... obviously, are invested in the discussions. I participate because I enjoy the subject matter. I have always enjoyed the study of Science. And I have learned much from my discussions with those who have participated in these discussions.

The thing that irks me, in these discussions, ... are statements of OPINION ... which are presented as FACTS, without the requisite support of such opinions.

Statements like ...

"The Earth is Flat"
"There is NO curve"
"There is NO gravity"
"We can see TOO far"
"Antarctica is a ring of ice around a flat Earth"
"The horizon always rises to eye-level"
"Water always finds its level"
etc.

As a side point, most, if not all of these declarations are compiled in Eric Dubay's "200 Reasons the Earth is not a Spinning Ball". So, to a large extent, the modern Flat Earth movement finds itself dependent upon Eric Dubay's personal beliefs.

But even these positions can be discussed honestly as long as those who are discussing bring support for their positions. Otherwise, what could be fruitful discussions become exercises in promoting and/or refuting propaganda.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
As a side point, most, if not all of these declarations find their origin in Eric Dubay's "200 Reasons the Earth is not a Spinning Ball". So, to a large extent, the modern Flat Earth movement finds itself dependent upon Eric Dubay's personal beliefs.
That is (sadly?) not quite correct. Eric Dubay is not an original thinker. Much - if not all - of his arguments, and especially his "200 Reasons" is copied, sometimes word for word, from the old victorian Flat Eathers, mainly Rowbotham.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
as long as those who are discussing bring support for their positions

Well, obviously that can't be done, because there is no support.

become exercises in promoting and/or refuting propaganda.

What else could it be?

I've been trying to understand flat earthism, and it seems to be complex, including at least:
  • refusal to believe that their "prophet" (Eric Dubay) could be wrong
  • lack of knowledge (especially about the Southern Hemisphere)
  • inability to think geometrically

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Really ... ???

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing. Job 26:7

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in: Isaiah 40:22
I now understand better why you let science do all your thinking and you believe everything they say.

I knew you can not judge distances, but i did not know you did not know the difference between a circle and a sphere.

Now i see

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I now understand better why you let science do all your thinking and you believe everything they say.

After I cited the scriptures ... right ...

I knew you can not judge distances, but i did not know you did not know the difference between a circle and a sphere.

Your online judgment on my ability to judge distance is not at all compelling ... and the Hebrew word "chug", translated "circle" in the KJV, can mean ANYTHING that is ROUND, including a SPHERE ...

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟732,703.00
Faith
Humanist
Your online judgment on my ability to judge distance is not at all compelling ... and the Hebrew word "chug", translated "circle" in the KJV, can mean ANYTHING that is ROUND, including a SPHERE ...

Where did you get that information from? All sources I can find translates it as "circle, circuit, compass"; and this is indeed how the word is used elsewhere in the bible.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where did you get that information from? All sources I can find translates it as "circle, circuit, compass"; and this is indeed how the word is used elsewhere in the bible.

Below is the definition from Gesenius Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon:

Upvote 0