May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The made two measurements and showed the difference between them. How high the laser was makes no difference, other than it has to be level. Even if the calculation is of, it is not a highly accurate method they are doing, and errors can happen. But even if they were off by 2.5 feet, it still shows a curve. Just because it is not perfect doesn't mean it doesn't show a curve. It shows that on a flat lake, there is still evidence of a curve.

Actually, if it were a globe with the dimensions we are told, then they were off by only 5.25 feet. It's so off it was likely staged just like the last measurement.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, if it were a globe with the dimensions we are told, then they were off by only 5.25 feet. It's so off it was likely staged just like the last measurement.

Just because it was not exact you throw it out? You would make a poor scientist. There is such a thing as experimental error and poor rounding. As well as it was a TV show. The fact that it changed is the big point.

If you didn't see such a change at three miles, I question your experimental rigor.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Just because it was not exact you throw it out? You would make a poor scientist. There is such a thing as experimental error and poor rounding. As well as it was a TV show. The fact that it changed is the big point.

If you didn't see such a change at three miles, I question your experimental rigor.

You're missing the point, the change was completely fake. It was a propaganda piece. That's why I said I wouldn't accept it as evidence.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're missing the point, the change was completely fake. It was a propaganda piece. That's why I said I wouldn't accept it as evidence.

Have you tried this experiment? Is there any reason that you think this is fake? Because what I saw, it didn't look fake.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Have you tried this experiment? Is there any reason that you think this is fake? Because what I saw, it didn't look fake.

Well, of course it looked good to you. It was designed to fool you. And it worked!

It's fake because if the reason I stated. The 6-foot curve they stated was impossible to get at 3 miles from the perspective of the laser. The only way to get those results is to fake it. I told you to check it out for yourself on any earth curve calculator.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They measured a 6 foot difference, which is only applicable on a ball earth at their reported distance of 3 miles if the laser elevation is at ground level. However, the laser was just over 2.5 feet off of the ground, which results in a considerably less noticeable curve at 3 miles. You can use any earth curve calculator to check that out.

Metabunk's curve calculator shows the drop as 6 foot, regardless of whether the laser is at 0 ft high ... or 2.5 ft high ...

Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator

Distance = 3 Miles (15840 Feet), View Height = 2.5 Feet (30 Inches) Radius = 3959 Miles (20903520 Feet)
Results ignoring refraction

Horizon = 1.94 Miles (10223.39 Feet)
Bulge = 1.5 Feet (18 Inches)
Drop = 6 Feet (72.02 Inches)
Hidden= 0.75 Feet (9.05 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 0.028 Degrees, (0.0005 Radians)

Distance = 3 Miles (15840 Feet), View Height = 0 Feet (0 Inches) Radius = 3959 Miles (20903520 Feet)

Horizon = 0 Feet (0 Inches)
Hidden= 6 Feet (72.02 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 0.000 Degrees, (0.0000 Radians)

Check it for yourself ... Metabunk: Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, of course it looked good to you. It was designed to fool you. And it worked!

It's fake because if the reason I stated. The 6-foot curve they stated was impossible to get at 3 miles from the perspective of the laser. The only way to get those results is to fake it. I told you to check it out for yourself on any earth curve calculator.

Sorry, but no.

And I am not just talking about this experiment, but everything else I have done in my 50 years on this Earth. From navigating by the stars, to traveling across time zones, to watching satellites and skylab, the evidence for a round earth in a sun centered system is the best explanation for all that working.

Every time I hear about flat earth, I wonder how the suns sets, or how the stars move around both poles, or how you can even trust gravity and the laws of physics. For there to be a flat earth, so much of what we know would have to be wrong, you really need more that just claims that you measured the flatness of the earth, or that an experment was staged.

I see that trying to have an honest discussion with you is not worth the time. You will not question your claims, while I do question mine and still come up with the same answer that you don't like.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Metabunk's curve calculator shows the drop as 6 foot, regardless of whether the laser is at 0 ft high ... or 2.5 ft high ...

Distance = 3 Miles (15840 Feet), View Height = 2.5 Feet (30 Inches) Radius = 3959 Miles (20903520 Feet)

Horizon = 1.94 Miles (10223.39 Feet)
Hidden= 0.75 Feet (9.05 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 0.028 Degrees, (0.0005 Radians)

Distance = 3 Miles (15840 Feet), View Height = 0 Feet (0 Inches) Radius = 3959 Miles (20903520 Feet)

Horizon = 0 Feet (0 Inches)
Hidden= 6 Feet (72.02 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 0.000 Degrees, (0.0000 Radians)

Check it for yourself ... Metabunk: Earth's Curve Horizon, Bulge, Drop, and Hidden Calculator

You are looking at the wrong value.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but no.

And I am not just talking about this experiment, but everything else I have done in my 50 years on this Earth. From navigating by the stars, to traveling across time zones, to watching satellites and skylab, the evidence for a round earth in a sun centered system is the best explanation for all that working.

Every time I hear about flat earth, I wonder how the suns sets, or how the stars move around both poles, or how you can even trust gravity and the laws of physics. For there to be a flat earth, so much of what we know would have to be wrong, you really need more that just claims that you measured the flatness of the earth, or that an experment was staged.

I see that trying to have an honest discussion with you is not worth the time. You will not question your claims, while I do question mine and still come up with the same answer that you don't like.

I can't make you understand you are being deceived by that show. You have to open your own eyes. I was just trying to point you in the right direction.

And I don't know what you mean about not having an honest discussion with me, every word I've said has been honest, even when I know for a fact they would just open myself up to more criticism. But you believe whatever you want about me, it makes no difference.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are looking at the wrong value.

What value should I be looking at ?

Was something "hidden" in this experiment ... or were they trying to establish the "drop" in the earth's surface (from the laser level) across 3 miles ???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What value should I be looking at ?

Was something "hidden" in this experiment ... or were they trying to establish the "drop" in the earth's surface (from the laser level) in 3 miles ???

Flatearthers typically use the "drop" value when they should be using "bulge" or "hidden," but now I see that they won't use the "drop" value when it is the appropriate one.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't make you understand you are being deceived by that show. You have to open your own eyes. I was just trying to point you in the right direction.

I hear the phrase "open your eyes" a lot from people that think they know the truth. The fact you can't show how it is wrong other than claiming they faked it and an optical illusion tells me you don't believe it because it doesn't fit your world view. But you don't show me a measurement showing the earth is flat to even counter. Instead you make a claim and don't back it up.

And I don't know what you mean about not having an honest discussion with me, every word I've said has been honest, even when I know for a fact they would just open myself up to more criticism. But you believe whatever you want about me, it makes no difference.

You have not been critical of yourself. You hold on to your claim instead of questioning it. That is the lack of honesty.

For example, one claim I heard from flat earthers is that the artificial horizons in plans that work with a gyroscope would not work on a round earth because they would have to be corrected. At first thought, the claim has a point. So I investigated it. It turns out the artificial horizons do get corrected all the time. From gravity sensitive switches in them that work slowly, but fast enough to correct for the curve of the earth.

That is the type of honest questioning I like to see. But all I am getting is claims from you with no evidence to look at or investigate. And that is why this discussion is going nowhere since I am not finding any validity in your claims, and you refuse to examine them or give evidence so I can examine them.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I hear the phrase "open your eyes" a lot from people that think they know the truth. The fact you can't show how it is wrong other than claiming they faked it and an optical illusion tells me you don't believe it because it doesn't fit your world view. But you don't show me a measurement showing the earth is flat to even counter. Instead you make a claim and don't back it up.

You have not been critical of yourself. You hold on to your claim instead of questioning it. That is the lack of honesty.

For example, one claim I heard from flat earthers is that the artificial horizons in plans that work with a gyroscope would not work on a round earth because they would have to be corrected. At first thought, the claim has a point. So I investigated it. It turns out the artificial horizons do get corrected all the time. From gravity sensitive switches in them that work slowly, but fast enough to correct for the curve of the earth.

That is the type of honest questioning I like to see. But all I am getting is claims from you with no evidence to look at or investigate. And that is why this discussion is going nowhere since I am not finding any validity in your claims, and you refuse to examine them or give evidence so I can examine them.

I've been questioning for 2 years now. You just haven't been around to see any of my journey.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been questioning for 2 years now. You just haven't been around to see any of my journey.

I can probably guess that it involved a lot of youtube videos, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then tell us what you have done, and what convinced you. Because all I see are claims with little evidence.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Somewhat similar story here, in that I'd never really thought much about gyroscopes in planes until a flat-earther mentioned it. So I read up on it, and it's as you say.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Metabunk's curve calculator shows the drop as 6 foot, regardless of whether the laser is at 0 ft high ... or 2.5 ft high

And 6 feet is also what I get from basic trigonometry.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that if you were doing celestial navigation at sea and assumed a flat earth, given a long enough voyage you'd become lost. But you can navigate by the stars if you use spherical trigonometry. It seems this is only true if the earth is spherical.

Interestingly, I can also fix my position using a shadow along with the sun's declination and Greenwich Hour Angle. But this only works when using spherical trig. So it seems the earth is spherical since I can apply spherical trig and fix my position using shadows and angles.

Upvote 0