Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ya know I always thought the "flat earth" movement of the last few years was kind of like an inside joke. that there were people out there who simply wanted to be goofy so they started claiming the earth was flat...you know, ironically or just plain silly.

It scares me to think there is anyone out there who actually thinks this seriously. I hold out hope it is still just a funky joke in the modern age.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Flat earth is 'almost' , almost 'okay' based on :
the scientists and government agencies always lie daily about almost everything, so there's that....

and The Creator 'could have' made a flat earth if He Wanted.

But it is impossible (???) for The Creator to turn an unbeliever into a believer (!!!) if they set their own choice against Him.
He Refuses to Override Anyone's Choice in this regard.
Everyone who worships Him Must Worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. No constraints.

So a flat earth is easy-peasy compared to changing someone's choice who they will serve, if they don't want to change.

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ya know I always thought the "flat earth" movement of the last few years was kind of like an inside joke. that there were people out there who simply wanted to be goofy so they started claiming the earth was flat...you know, ironically or just plain silly.

It scares me to think there is anyone out there who actually thinks this seriously. I hold out hope it is still just a funky joke in the modern age.

Well, I do think a lot of it is trolling...people enjoy just messing with others on the internet.

However, I do think there's a faction that does buy into it, sincerely. And you're right, that's a bit scary...or at the very least, disheartening.

I think it's the result of a few different things.
A) A societal/political climate that's encouraged acceptance of conspiracy theories. It seems as if all conspiracies have been acquiring astounding numbers of followers over the past few decades. It doesn't help that we have a substantial faction from within one of our two main political parties that's encouraging that kind of thinking with regards to a number of different hot-button issues.

B) An overall desire to reject science... as "science", as a whole, is the entity that's challenging a lot of their religious views in ways they can't explain away, so they just want to reject all of it or prove that it's a farce. If they can compile a big list of reasons they feel that science is "rigged" (geological studies, climate studies, moon landing, vaccines, etc...), then it makes it easier to dismiss science when it comes to things like age of the earth, evolution, etc...

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
B) An overall desire to reject science... as "science", as a whole, is the entity that's challenging a lot of their religious views in ways they can't explain away, so they just want to reject all of it or prove that it's a farce. If they can compile a big list of reasons they feel that science is "rigged" (geological studies, climate studies, moon landing, vaccines, etc...), then it makes it easier to dismiss science when it comes to things like age of the earth, evolution, etc...

Did you watch the video in the OP?

You might be surprised to discover that many who turn to flat earth do so because of adhering to science, not rejecting it. What's being rejected is what we've been told we must believe and not question in the name of science. If you are looking for a common characteristic, the most common might be the ability to question what we are told to dare not question.

If you really want to know where many of us come from, that video is a good primer if one wishes to stop guessing about it. Not saying you have to believe any of it, but it should put to rest that idea the flat earth is based on a desire to 'reject science'.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried watching it, but at point seven i could not go on. If you want to start by telling me that I don't understand what you believe, fine. But show me some evidence at some point, Don't hammer the same point over and over. Yes, I am familiar with the founding of NASA, so what? What does that have to do with your case of flat earth? Same with the number of people that believe in flat earth. It doesn't do a thing to prove your point.

i wish he had less lead up and got to his point. Do you have a time point for us to look at?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you are looking for a common characteristic, the most common might be the ability to question what we are told to dare not question.

See, this is the attitude among conspiracy theorists that I find a bit frustrating. (and I promise I'm not trying to pick on you in particular here)

They act as if it's everyone else that's closed minded and "sheep" if they're not willing to entertain conspiracy theories.

There's a key distinction to be made when it comes to determining closed-mindedness. ...and that is, has the assertion already been studied and debunked numerous times by well-qualified research?

For instance, if a doctor or researcher claimed they had developed a new compound that could cure HIV...

If they provided detailed thorough notes on their research, showed the usage of substances that have established antiretroviral properties, and showed some promise during initial testing in a lab environment... If someone immediately dismissed it for the concept was fully tested, that would be closed-mindedness.

However, if an alternative practitioner (with a history of defrauding customers) made a similar claim, but showed no peer reviewed research, and the proposed treatment was wearing magnet patches (claiming it manipulates the iron in your blood, a debunked principle), and consuming a homeopathic preparation (also debunked) of cherry stem extract and arsenic... Immediate dismissal of that idea isn't closed-minded, it's called using basic logic and common sense.

Immediate dismissal of ideas, and determining whether or not said dismissal constitutes closed mindedness, ultimately depends on the merit of the idea.

For instance A) 'Established scientist develops a new fuel cell that he claims is more efficient than current ones', and B) 'Guy on Natural Medicine Blog says gargling with mustard water cures cancer' are not ideas/concepts that merit equal consideration in order to make one "open-minded"

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
See, this is the attitude among conspiracy theorists that I find a bit frustrating. (and I promise I'm not trying to pick on you in particular here)

They act as if it's everyone else that's closed minded and "sheep" if they're not willing to entertain conspiracy theories.

There's a key distinction to be made when it comes to determining closed-mindedness. ...and that is, has the assertion already been studied and debunked numerous times by well-qualified research?

For instance, if a doctor or researcher claimed they had developed a new compound that could cure HIV...

If they provided detailed thorough notes on their research, showed the usage of substances that have established antiretroviral properties, and showed some promise during initial testing in a lab environment... If someone immediately dismissed it for the concept was fully tested, that would be closed-mindedness.

However, if an alternative practitioner (with a history of defrauding customers) made a similar claim, but showed no peer reviewed research, and the proposed treatment was wearing magnet patches (claiming it manipulates the iron in your blood, a debunked principle), and consuming a homeopathic preparation (also debunked) of cherry stem extract and arsenic... Immediate dismissal of that idea isn't closed-minded, it's called using basic logic and common sense.

Immediate dismissal of ideas, and determining whether or not said dismissal constitutes closed mindedness, ultimately depends on the merit of the idea.

For instance A) 'Established scientist develops a new fuel cell that he claims is more efficient than current ones', and B) 'Guy on Natural Medicine Blog says gargling with mustard water cures cancer' are not ideas/concepts that merit equal consideration in order to make one "open-minded"

Gee, thanks for the overgeneralizing and then the overreacting. I never said others were incapable of questioning their paradigms, or even that others haven't, but it is a characteristic far more common in this movement than outside of it.

BTW, flat earth is the farthest thing from debunked. Not even close.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Why would God make the earth flat but all the other planets etc etc, spheres?

The earth is a sphere people.

Why would christians presume the earth is a planet if it was created on day 1, prior to the other planets on day 4?

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why would christians presume the earth is a planet if it was created on day 1, prior to the other planets on day 4?

Why not? There is more to Genesis than pure black and white.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Why not? There is more to Genesis than pure black and white.

Unfortunately, that's generally what has to be done in these scenarios. Ignore what it plainly states and insert preconceived notions instead.

For arguments sake, if one did believe what it says about the earth being created on day 1 and the planets on day 4, why would such a person ever presume the earth is just another planet?

• Agree
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I believe science. Science was created by God. God gave man the ability to discover the truth of His creation.

I like science too. I just know some of what we are told to believe in the name of science simply isn't so.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I like science too. I just know some of what we are told to believe in the name of science simply isn't so.

We all have that choice. To believe or not to believe. My question is, why would science lie?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
We all have that choice. To believe or not to believe. My question is, why would science lie?

It's not the science itself that lies. It's the incorrect conclusions that people claim to be 'science' that are the lies. A perfect example is evolution. Billions of people deceived over multiple generations. Why do billions of evolutionists lie? Because they just simply don't know any better.

• Agree
Upvote 0